Kingdom of Hearts

Scarlet Hearts

A loud explosion rang throughout the whole castle, a shrill shriek following after. Myungsoo groggily rose from the comforting embrace of his bed and stared mindlessly at the stone wall in front of him, contemplating whether to rise and check whatever the hell his Queen was up to again or ignore everything and return to the wonderful lull of sleep. So far the latter was winning.

But of course, not everything would go his way; hadn’t been since the time the King of Hearts’ mark was found curling on the middle of his back. And the Jack currently standing at the foot of the bed proves that.

“Your Majesty,” Jack Jongup spoke, face contorted weirdly – like he was contemplating whether to laugh or sigh in exasperation. “The Queen is asking for your presence.”

He sighed. “Another failed spell?” the Jack sighed.

“As usual.” A curse slipped out of his lips as he accepted the red cloak his Jack handed him.

The moment both monarchs stepped out of the room and into the castle halls, another shrill pained shriek echoed followed by a pained sob and a croak of Myungsoo’s name. Damn, the other had yet again unconsciously used the Queen’s magic. Heaving another sigh, both he and the Jack walked briskly towards the castle’s clinic.

Despite the (kind of) seriousness of the situation, the King still couldn’t help but smile fondly as he stared at his Queen’s slumbering form. The poor dear had passed out immediately the moment Myungsoo scooped his tall form into his arms and brought him to their room. This certainly takes him back to when he first met the childish Queen.

Dropping a kiss to the other’s forehead, he silently slipped out of the room and headed towards the King’s study. As much as he wants to stay with his husband in bed for the whole day, his Kingly duties prevents him, not to mention, the Jack was probably already at the study waiting for him along with mountains of paper works. He heaved another heavy sigh.

He just hoped at least Jongup brought him breakfast.


Excitement coursed through Myungsoo’s whole being, proven further by the uncharacteristically huge grin painting on his lips. This was it; he thought with giddy, just one more step and all of his dreams would come true.

Just one more step and finally –finally – the crown would be his for the taking. This whole Kingdom would be under his rule fulfilling his lifelong dream of being a King.

“Excuse me sir? How may I help you?” one of the castle guards asked him, breaking him out of his daydreams.

Oh right, he was still outside the castle gates. The crown was still a few meters away from him (Not to mention still currently settled atop the current King’s head).

Blinking back into the present, he stared at the guard, debating on how he should approach the subject about the mark that suddenly appeared on his back last night. This would have been much easier if the current King of Hearts was dead or had resigned.

Finally deciding to just come out and say it straight, he was preparing himself to be laughed at when an explosion caught all their attention. A few feet away inside from the castle gates, a small crater formed. On alert, almost all the guards surrounded pit, swords raised in alarm.

Having piqued his curiosity (and his guts might have screamed at him to check it out), he too neared the crater, only to be rooted on his spot when an audible groan came from it.

Now fully on alert, all the guards exchanged glances and nods. But before they all could jump down, a hand shot up and a panicked voice shouted.

“Wait, wait, wait!” A figure climbed out of the crater, eyes wide in alarm, body trembling and hands griping hard on a broom. “Please don’t kill me! I’m the Queen of Hearts!”

This stilled everyone, most especially Myungsoo as he stared wide eyes and jaw slacked at the witch.

“What?” a stunned guard asked. The intruder nodded profusely and almost manically tore his sleeves, showing to everyone the Queen of Hearts’ mark curling on his upper arm. Almost all guards in a breath and whispers broke apart, all confused.

Myungsoo ignored everything, eyes stuck at the scarlet red mark on the witch’s arm. Heart drumming loudly in nervousness, he walked towards the still trembling body, hand stretched to grab unto the tattooed arm when he neared the other.

The witch flinched at the contact, instinctively pulling his arm away from the grasp but Myungsoo didn’t let him. He was still studying the mark and he was awed by how much it resembled his, the only difference was that his was larger and the letter K replaced the letter Q settled on the top right of the scarlet heart.

A loud gasp pulled him out of his trance.

“Y-you’re the King right?” he nodded mutely and lowered the other’s arm, head tilting slightly upward to stare at the other’s face.

Both their eyes met.

Myungsoo swore it was love at first sight.


“Myung?” a small voice coming from the door’s direction called to him. Recognizing the voice belonging to his Queen, he happily dropped the papers he was reading and turned to the fidgeting Queen with a small smile.

“Yes Yeol?” the other shuffled inside and closed the heavy mahogany doors softly behind him, walking towards his table and eyes roaming the room.

“Where’s Jongup…?”

“Went out for a bit, he was getting me some lunch.” The Queen glared at him.

“It’s already two in the afternoon and you still haven’t had lunch?” he only shrugged and motioned to the papers stacked all throughout the room. Sungyeol sighed and sat at one of the chair’s placed on the front of his desk.

“Well?” He spoke, getting a confused stare from his husband. “Are you going to explain yourself for what happened earlier this morning or what?”

A red flush akin to the color of his scarlet robes settled on the other’s face and the Queen smiled sheepishly, huge eyes turning to him pleading and apologetic. “I was actually preparing my gift for our anniversary, sorry about that…”

A soft smile stretched on his lips and he couldn’t help the found sigh the slipped passed his lips. “What am I going to do with you?” a delighted laugh was his answer, loud and high pitched.

“Oh yeah!” the other exclaimed, face beaming as he stared at him. “I dreamt about you, that’s actually why I was here.”

Myungsoo raised an eyebrow in curiosity, a smile on his lips as he took the reading glasses perched on his nose and settled comfortingly at his chair. “Really? Something good I hope.”

The witch nodded vigorously, “It was actually our first meeting.”

“Ahh that,” he nodded, eyes closed. “How can I forget about the time when you literally dropped from the sky and almost gave all the castle guards a heart attack.” His husband pouted at him.

“Not my fault, I still couldn’t completely control my magic that time not to mention they got stronger when the Queen’s mark appeared on my arm.” He only chuckled in reply.

Two sharp knocks caught the monarchs’ attention and the Jack slipped inside the room, a cart filled with food along with him. Myungsoo breathed in the scent of food that scattered along the air. Grilled meat – his favorite.

He could already feel himself salivate and his stomach grumbled.

“Oh,” the Jack blinked, smiling at the Queen. “Good afternoon, Your Highness. How are you?”

“Great!” Sungyeol beamed, accepting the cup of tea the Jack handed him. “Nothing a little sleep couldn’t fix.” Jongup nodded at him.

When the platter of food was placed in front of him, the King wasted no time in devouring it – of course, as primly and proper as he can, he was still a King.

“Oh right,” the Jack exclaimed, a hand burrowed in his coat pocket and took out an emerald colored envelope. “This came in just earlier, it’s an invitation from Clubs – they finally found their King and Queen.”

“Yes, another celebration!” The witch cheered, snatching the envelope out of the Jack’s hands and read it.

Looks like they’ll be traveling for Clubs soon.


A/N: Sorry if it’s short because if I elaborated more on their first meeting, then I’m afraid this would turn into a multi-chaptered fic. Hope you liked it~

Oh and if it wasn’t obvious, this is kind of a spin-off of my other story, Evergreen Clubs.

Fun Fact: The previous monarchs of Hearts were: King Jung Yunho, Queen Kim Jaejoong and Jack Shim Changmin.