Abandoned

Tʜᴇ Fᴏʀsᴀkᴇɴ Dᴀʀk Hᴏʀsᴇ
 
Abandoned ►►►►►►

Children.

Majority of the time they are created between two parties, sometimes multiple players. Those children are either wanted, accidents or mistakes.

I, on the other hand, was a planned baby.

Someone had my future already planned out for me. They knew what I would become and if I so happen to lose my way, they'll guide me through the route they've set up just for me. But if I decided to go against their plan they'll get rid of me. So I stuck with what they had in mind for me. I became a dark horse in the underground community.

Where no one knew my name.

Even when I always walk away with victory.

However, I've been resting from my career for the last four months.

My job gets stranger's blood on my hands. It's not something that any grown-up children would want to have, but it keeps me alive. I don't know why I want to live. I don't have a purpose to. But I fear death just as much. And I've convinced myself that as long as I can kill people, I'll be able to live, thus I would have no reason to fear death.

The sight of a single building from afar caught my attention and tore me from my thoughts. Funny how I tend to zone out on the road, going over 90 miles per hour on my black Hyosung GT650R.

I was traveling on the same cracked cement road that I was familiar with, nothing but grass and dirt lie around me.

There was some easy wind that was heading in my direction. Running right past me.

I came closer to the grayish white building with the garage door opened. The inside was large and wide enough to accommodate a Hummer or larger and wider vehicles. I easily drove my bike in and parked in the empty center. The three walls had shelves installed into them, each contained a variety of tools and automobile parts.

"Mark!"

I wiped my head and my eyes quickly laid on a man, much taller than me, yet younger. "Yugyeom," I said as I was dismounting my bike, the lad walked over and stood beside me. He was wiping his dirty hands with a dirty rag. Anyone could tell he has been playing with oil stains.

"Haven't seen you in a while, what's up? Is your bike broken again? Want me to take a quick look at it?"

He didn't even give me a chance to answer. Finally, when he was done, I answered with a low sigh. "No, actually I thought I could leave this here for a few days—"

"Oh sure, I'd love to have it sitting around in my garage, you know, for you." He quickly said as he began circling it. I wasn't sure if it was sarcasm, but he did have this thing for my bike. Could have been because he actually built it from scrap and regret handing it over but the guy kept denying it.

"Yeah I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't mind looking after it."

"Not at all, just you know call in next time you plan on actually bring it over," Yugyeom said with his eyes fixed on the front fairing kit and wheel.

"Why? Did your mother say something about it?"

"No, it wasn't her."

"Then?" I asked carrying all of my weight on one leg.

He stood up and looked directly into my eyes. His face couldn't get any straighter. "Promise you won't get mad if I tell you."

I've received a lot of hateful words, so what else can he say that would throw me off guard? I nodded as a sign of promise. There I heard him sigh.

"People started calling me a traitor the last time you came in with the bike. They keep saying that I'm helping an illegal Chinese from a screw-up gang somewhere under Korea's earth. And you know it doesn't bother me. But when they began calling my mother a traitor too, it was upsetting."

Guilt rushed through my system, but I couldn't utter a word of comfort. I could only apologize. "I'm...sorry for troubling you and your mother...I can take the bike back if it'll lighten your plate."

"Please...." Yugyeom's eyes were just as troubled and sorry as mine, "I don't want to hear those people calling you names either, so please take it this time. I'll come around some time tomorrow to pick it up personally so you won't have to leave it outside unguarded."

I know I was troubling Yugyeom, but the bike is just as important to him as it is to me. "Thanks, Yugyeom." I smiled.

The road was always empty of people and vehicles.

It gives me plenty of time to be alone. Then I felt a wave of buzzing coming from my pants pocket. When I reached for my cell phone, the  Motorola Razr V3, which was about a decade old.  I stopped to the side of the road to take the call properly.

"Mark, I got an assignment for you. Come to the office." Then the caller hung up.

I folded the top part of the phone with a quick flick of my wrist then pocketed it. I started the engine for the bike again and took a quick look around the area before I get back on the road.

I won't be seeing this empty flat for a while.

►►►►►►►

The heels of my black Arider Bull was clicking against the wooden tiles when I was making my way through a crowded hallway. The walls on each side were painted in with a shade of gray. As I was reaching the end of the hallway, I noticed three men guarding the door. One, in particular, stood out.

They call him Wang Jackson.

Jackson if they will.

But he's no more than Wang to me.

If I'm the dark horse of the undergrounds then he is the champ. The champion of our gang.

Wang and I aren't close. In fact, we're rivals and he'd put a bullet in my head if someone asks him to. What's keeping us from going at each other neck is the fact that we're both on the same side, and we're Chinese with some Korean in us. "Welcome Tuan," he greeted as I continue to approach them, "boss's been waiting." His tone was husky and deep. He gestured his head inward toward the closed door.

"Then should we be greeting one another instead of going in now?"

Wang scoffed a breathy chuckle, "Don't be arrogant, no one was greeting or making any conversation. Let's go in."

He reached for the doorknob and turned it, as I followed him in I saw the man I came to meet. Or more accurately–to obtain a task from. The man had his back to us and he was enjoying the emptiness sight below him on this third floor we were standing on.

The man turned around to lock eyes with me. He was only a few years older than me and not any less good looking. He wore a jacket around his shoulders, his arms folded across his black tuxedo shirt.  I saw a slow smirk formed on his lips.

It didn't bother me.

Everyone knew he was a heartless bastard.

Just like me.

He went by the name Ji Changwook. Changwook became the boss after our former boss, his father Boss Tuan, passed away. The underground believe it was due to an incurable sickness. But everyone in this building knew, Changwook personally ended his father's life.

"Mark." He called to wake me from my thoughts as he came forward and took his seat in the single, leather couch closest to him. He kept his arms folded and this time crosses his legs. Wang walked over and stood behind him, just to show that he was the guy's pet.

Among us, the killers and tasks carrier, Wang was in charge if this man were to leave for a while. That is if Wang even gets to stay behind and not follow the man around the world if he asks him to.

I realized I forgot to pay my respect to the seated man, so I did it the last minute before taking the seat across from him. "You said you got an assignment for me." I started to get the conversation going and to avoid any unwanted silence.

"Yeah." He answered, his smirk turning into a lopsided smile, "I received news recently about this one guy who's been stirring problems with our trading ally. And when I was trying to correct this mess, I thought of you. You were the perfect killer for this task."

"What makes you say so?" I couldn't help but question him. Ever since he became the boss of us, he had always deemed my skills and position as worthless and useless to the gang.

"The enemy is Chinese."

So it was like that? He wanted us Chineses to fight among ourselves?

"Half Chinese." Changwook corrected the last minute. It was that statement that I realized he was testing me. He purposely left 'half' out just to see my expression, and it must have satisfied him as his smile grew. "I'd understand if you don't want to slay one of your kind. I'm aware that up till now you've only been killing Koreans and other ethnicities. But I thought I could give you something new to try. That way people would stop seeing you as the Korean-killer and maybe see you as a normal killer."

"I've never viewed Chinese as any better than the rest of the—"

"Then prove it." Changwook cut me off with a low and tempting tone. "Show me that Chinese people aren't a soft spot in your heart. That you can kill just about anyone if you were assigned to do so."

He had me cornered and he knew it. "Who's the man I need to kill?"

"It's not the man, it's the men."

I flattened my eyes at that, "There's more than one man?"

"I cannot give you a number, but the lad has a gang. It's your job to find out how many men are there."

"Name?"

Changwook broke his crossed arms and pulled his hand out from under his jacket. He threw a folded paper onto the coffee table between us. "His name is Zhang Yixing."

►►►►►►►

I scanned the contents on the thick paper.

I had to remember everything about my target.

His full name is Zhang Yixing, but underground he's known as Lay. He was twenty-two years old, two years older than me. His father was Korean while his mother is Chinese.

We shared that much in common.

Then I looked at the only provided photo of him, the quality was bad and the pixels were too big. He looked like he was a man made out of blocks. I folded the paper and slide it into my pocket.

I need to find this man now.

It was now my job to find and kill this man before he causes any more damage to our trading allies. It was my job now to save our drug-trade routes.

►►►►►►►

The underground connection line was the fastest searching source. I found the lad in less than an hour since I've arrived. He was in a club, a stripper's club, and he was at a table with five men double his size and age. The lights in the whole room were dimmed and music was popping out my eardrums. But I was focused on the group.

"Illegal businessmen." I uttered under my breath. From behind, I felt a hand resting on my shoulder, in order not to cause a scene I quickly spun my head around to see who had the guts. But upon seeing the identity of the figure, I dropped all thoughts.

"Looking for someone or in need of company?" The beautiful young lady asked over the beating music. Compare to the other girls, she was more covered. She had on short jeans and a black spaghetti strap tank top. And now that I've gotten a better look at her face, I noticed how red her lips were and her blue eye contacts really popped out with her wavy hair a dark black.

"I'm just looking for a few friends of mine," I answered her over the music, but I guess she couldn't hear me. There was a strong curious look on her pretty, pale face. "Sorry I gotta go!" I said louder this time and it seemed like she got it, but when I turned to leave she pulled onto my arm.

All of my attention was on her for a moment. "I'll help you look for them, what do they look like?"

I didn't have the time for this. She took my lie as something serious, I wasn't sure how I could possibly get out of this one. I came here to look for my enemies, not friends. And I can't pretend my enemies were my friends and give her a description of them. It wouldn't end well.

So instead of answering I grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her after me, leading her toward the bar.

A less noisy spot in the whole building. "I'm in a hurry so why don't you stay here and I'll buy you some drinks to keep yourself busy," I suggested as we stood face to face with the counter to our forearms. She brushed her hair back, behind her ear then answered.

By this time I've lost sight of Yixing.

"What's the rush? Stay a little and enjoy the views." She said.

"Yeah I'm kind of busy, I can't. I'm sorry." I said quickly, trying to keep my eyes on her yet see if I can see Yixing at all.

"Oh come on, at least tell me your name." She whined, and it made me sweat a little. She was irresistible. If I wasn't supposed to keep Yixing on my radar and kill him when I get the perfect opportunity to do so, I would be keeping this girl close.

"No, you probably won't remember it later—"

"Please? I mean I've built all of my courage to approach you first when there are around one hundred single men in this room alone just waiting and wishing for a nice girl to talk to him. The least you can do is tell me your name if you're planning to dump me here."

I wet my lips before answering, "Mark. Tuan Mark."

"Mark," She said with a nod and growing smile, "I like it, it's a very handsome name that matches you."

I let out an awkward chuckle, "Thanks, you?"

She blinked slowly once at that and kept her smile, "Kim Hyuna."

►►►►►►►

I ran out of the crowded club when Hyuna went to take a call. It was wrong to leave without telling her, but I doubt we'll ever meet again. But what pretty girl comes to a place like this?

The starting of a car engine pulled me back into time. I look around the dark alley and saw no signs of Yixing. I swear I saw him leave when Hyuna went to take her call.

It was near the end of the alley when a car drove past me and almost ran me over. I watched in silence as the car turned around the corner and disappeared out of sight.

Now it was dark out. I've missed my chance to kill him a night earlier. But I clearly remember the men he was with. They must be his trade partners and are probably around.

I wasn't going to leave just yet.

Not without another stranger's blood on my hands.

►►►►►►►

The gushing of fresh blood that poured onto my hands was warm and wet. Between my fingers was the handle of a pocket knife and the blade was hidden in a man's chest. I took a step back when his breath was cut short, pulling the six-inch blade out. His large body fell to the cold ground, lying alongside his four dead pals.

I gave the knife a flick to get rid of some blood. But I came to an instant halt when I saw someone standing in front of me.

"Should you be killing other people's allies?"

It was Yixing. Though he called them allies, there was no trace of sadness or anger in his tone. Instead, it was rather blunt.

"Zhang Yixing." I said, loud enough for him to flattened his eyes.

"You don't look Korean."

I guess coming from a troublemaker, I was expecting him to come up with better lines. "You're right, I'm not."

"Who are you?"

I folded the blade into the holder and look over to Yixing, keep my gaze as alive and sharp as possible. But the lad didn't seem to find me threatening.

"Does it matter? In a matter of minutes, you'll be dead anyway."

Yixing chuckled a little too eerie at that. "Don't tell me, you must be Wang Jackson?" I sighed at that. Even among Chinese, I'm a nobody. Or better, I'm just another Wang Jackson.

"I am from his pack but sorry to disappoint you, I'm not him."

"I've never heard of any other Chinese in Ji Changwook's gang." Yixing said calmly. I wasn't sure why we were conversing, but it gave me a hint that the latter knew tonight wasn't going to be his last on earth.

"I guess that goes to prove that we don't have any spies in our gang then." I retorted, earning an amused smile from him. Whatever the case may be, he seemed to be the only one enjoying it.

"If you guys were to find out that'll put my gang on Ji Changwook's bad side. I wouldn't want that. Especially now that I've discovered that Changwook also secretly has other Chinese assassins."

I wasn't convinced. "Then what's the deal with you and your people messing up our trade routes?"

Yixing smiled at that, "Those scums started it. If you know me, you'll know that I don't like to start anything. Which is why I didn't jump you when you had your back to me and is fixed on listening to that poor, dying man's last breath."

This guy was starting to creep me out. I wasn't even aware that I did have my back open to anyone who had wanted to kill me.

Four months of hiatus had made me rusty.

"But you know I like you." The man's random statement caught my full attention again, "You seem like an interesting fellow and loyal too."

"What do you mean?"

"You came here with the intention of wanting me dead and despite a goddess-like woman in front of you, you still look only for me."

"Hyuna? She was your idea?"

"Was her name Hyuna? I've had my eyes on her since I walked in, that's when I noticed you. I envied you, I know it sounds strange, but I envied you. You didn't even notice her and even when she first came to you, you brushed her off because you were keen to kill me."

"Good. Since you seem to have a clear image of what really went down it saves me the breath and time to explain."

"If you're still planning to kill me then I suggest you drop that mindset right here and now."

I wanted to scoff at his silly suggestion. "Why?"

"Because I have something important to tend to after meeting you here."

I didn't want to question him any further, nor was I interested in what he has planned. I pocketed my knife after heaving a sigh. "Stay in areas where I can easily find you from now on, will you?"

Yixing smiled to the point where I could see him deep dimple, "If you can't find me, I'll come looking for you."

►►►►►►►

I was seated on a bench and sharpening a twig when Wang walked over, "How did it go?"

I exhaled through my nose and then looked up to meet his curious gaze. Under the night sky, his eyes were even more sparkling than normal. "Finished off five men, all allies of Zhang Yixing."

"And Yixing?"

"He got away." I lied.

Wang groaned and cover his face with his empty palms, "What the heck man?"

I dropped the twig onto the ground and threw the pocket knife into my pocket. "I'm starting to doubt whether we should really go against this guy."

"Why?" Wang asked, placing a hand on the bench.

I knew it was useless telling it to Wang, but the lad wouldn't give it a rest. "He seems smarter and cunning."

"So? Doesn't every powerful gangster kind of look like that?"

"No. They're greedy, I didn't see any greed in him," I said under a whisper with much thought.

"Oh so now you're a human reader? What? You can just read what a person is like by looking at them? You—"

I stood up from my seat and broke the twig in half by stepping on it. It silenced Wang almost instantly. "Don't worry. If Yixing were to die, I'll be the one to kill him."

►►►►►►►

Days turned into a week when I finally caught up with Yixing again. I kept forgetting that the guy went by the name 'Lay' and unfortunately I wasn't alone. Very little knew of his real name, Yixing, thus gathering information about him took longer than expected.

However, I discovered him in a deserted cabin. Fortunately, he was with his gang. I reported his location back to Changwook later that night. The next morning he had me crashed down the building.

I left six men dead and 90 lbs of destroyed. But Yixing was not among them. Two days later, I was able to get back on his track. At an abandoned warehouse, I left six more of his men dead inside and another six outside.

Triple sixes. I was the devil.

But Yixing was still not among them.

The following morning, Jackson got on my bad side. "Why is it taking you so long just to get rid of this scum?" If Changwook hasn't stepped in, one of us could have lost our lives.

►►►►►►►

"Mark, since I can't sit around anymore and watch you make yourself a laughing stock, I've decided to put an end to this."

"What?"

Changwook was sitting in his chair, the same way he always does when he's trying to gamble with others' businesses. "I've set up a location where Yixing and his gang would show up, to trade some illegal drugs. I need you to be there, ready to clean them off the face of the planet."

"Before I do that, can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead," Changwook answered with a lopsided eyebrow.

"Can't you give this assignment to Jackson instead?"

"Why?"

"Why not?"

"Because this assignment was assigned specifically for you."

"Why only me?"

"Why not?"

"Is it because you don't want a Chinese gang member that has always eliminate only Koreans and not Chinese? So now you're giving me a task where the targets are Chinese?"

"What? What makes you think this assignment has only got to do with ethnicity? Can't you give yourself some credit and say you're the perfect candidate for this mission?" I wanted to believe him, but it's hard to do so. Especially when these men have only proven to be untrustworthy.

An incident that occurred twelve years ago. I was only eight at the time when my former boss killed my mother in front of me. With her death, she left me a necklace she called her marriage gift given by my birth father. Come to think of it, I've never heard about my birth father.

My mother's life was exchanged for my position today, the dark horse. I can't rely on anyone. No one can lean on me. I was only supposed to get in and then get out. I couldn't drag a problem for too long and I couldn't have a decent companion.

Because my purpose was only to kill.

And to kill I must.

If I want to escape death.

►►►►►►►

In an isolated area far from the city, four buildings at least fourteen stories high were going to mark my death bed. In similar situations, I was always prepared to die. Even when I wanted to escape death.

It was cold today and snow covered the dirty ground.

When there's snow, there are tracks.

I came from around the back in order to avoid that. On the third floor, I waited. That's when the vehicles pulled in and the engines died for the time being. I was alone and I was to murder twenty men in cold blood. On each floor, the ground was made of cold cement. Dead leaves and twigs were brushed to the side and mold was eating the walls.

It was a location I did not want to die in. I doubt anyone would.

I could hear chattering as men continue to head up to the upper floors.

Men were spread out around the area.

This wasn't going to be easy for a one man's job. But once everything seemed to have settled down and all parties were on a look-out, also spread out from one another. I took it as the perfect opportunity to sneak up on men in black suits and silently killed them.

Once I was almost to the last floor, where the meeting was held, I have already broken 15 men's heads. That leaves five on the last floor, including Yixing.

I was sure he was here. I saw him earlier, climbing up the steps with his trade partners.

I couldn't have come here unarmed. Behind my belt, I pulled out my handgun. As I fired into one of the glassless windows, I could hear the men above freak out. Quick footsteps movements rumbled the walls. I took the chance to head upstairs when one of the man was running downstairs, probably to check who fired my shot. With the handgun I knocked him backward onto the stairs, then quickly I stepped onto the floor.

I made my way in, slow and easy with the gun pointed in front of me. I had enough bullets to end the lives of the leftover four. I pushed the door in front of me to the side and inside I could clearly see three men. One, a chubby and short lad, probably the man hired by Changwook. Then one of his men stood beside him.

To the far left, an older man was unknown to me. He has messy black hair and a mustache. He looked calm and fearless.

One thing was missing. Yixing wasn't in the room.

"P-please, C-Changwook s-sent us." The chubby begged.

"Get out of here if you want to live," I said without batting an eye to look at him, the heavyweight quickly leaves the room with heavy breathes, along with his man. I had my gun in one hand and continue to point it at the stranger. "Who are you?"

"Are you Mark?" He questioned. "You're Mark right?"

"How do you know my name?"

"Yixing told me."

Yixing? How do Yixing know my name? Aren't I a nobody underground?

"Where is he?" I asked in a stern voice. I had to appear as serious and dangerous as I could.

"He's here but," the man began raising both hands slowly, "you need to lower your gun first."

I flattened my eyes, trying to read if he had any tricks up his sleeves. "I'm the one with the gun, so I'll be making the demands around here."

"Alright but first just let me." when he was reaching into his pocket I quickly switched off the safety when the pressure was building up. I can't stay in this position forever, Yixing could jump me from behind.

"Stop it! Leave your hands out where I can see them!"

"I'm just going to—"

"I said stop!"

"Just let me—"

"I'll shoot!"

"Mark lis—"

The wave when the gun back a little as the bullet leaves it, traveled through my arm. The man in front of me let out a painful gasp. Horror was written all over his face. And for the first time, I felt guilty for taking someone's life.

"No!" Yixing rushed in past me and kneel beside the man. "No! No!" I watched when Yixing shook the man's arm. I couldn't tell where my bullet had pierced the man, but it must have been a deadly area. His eyes were bloodshot and the color of his flesh and skin was slowly draining away from his face.

The man fell to his side as Yixing almost fell over him.

That's when it hit me.

Around his neck. A golden necklace made its way out.

It was the same as my mother's.

At that moment, everything my mother had said flashed before my eyes.

"Your father has the golden necklace. I have the silver one. One day if you meet him, show him your necklace. He'll know it was you. Mommy is sorry, I couldn't raise you properly. I had to stay with your grandpa and your uncle. They'll raise you after I die, so be a good boy and follow a different path, understand? My Yieun? Don't forget that if you find your father, your father Cha Seungwon, you have to change your surname to Cha. Tuan is my surname and it's not right for you to keep it. Be good so you can find your dad."

I wasn't sure why and what happened, but I found myself kneeling beside Yixing and the dead older. "Father...." I uttered in a whisper. The man was still alive, fighting for breath, in this disgusting environment. His eyes were on me. I could see the corner of his lips curling into a gentle smile.

"I finally found you. Now I can die in peace after knowing how handsome you've become." The older forced out. My heart was racing.

"Dad." I heard Yixing called from the side, "Dad get up."

The man switched his eyes to Yixing, "My son...Look after your younger brother. Don't fight. Don't hate him. And don't forget to change your surname."

"Don't talk like that dad, get up. I'll take you to the hospital." Yixing was crying. His voice was shaky and trembling. I don't know what I've done.

But when I turned toward the door, the last thing I saw was Wang. When he pulled the trigger a strong painful wave washed over my body.

 

I was a planned child.

They had a plan for me.

I wasn't just a dark horse.

I was the forsaken dark horse.

The dark horse will always win.

But the forsaken dark horse will never win.

They've planned to abandon me all along.

And it was a torturous twenty long year plan.

 


A/N: Thanks for reading. Ah Idunno what I was or am writing but ahem....Thanks for giving it a read~