An Ordinary Day

The Apocalypse

 

 

 

Chapter One

An Ordinary Day

 


 

An ordinary day starts in the morning when I'd hear the loud banging on my bedroom door accompanied by my mother's voice, nagging me to get up and start preparing to school. She'd continue on the nagging by talking about how important education is and how it can make me a successful someday. When I open my door, yawning and rubbing my eyes off the morning stars, she'd welcome me with a cocky smile, sling her arm around my neck and drag me towards the dining table.

And automatically, like a routine I have unconsciously done for the past seventeen years, I greet her, "Good morning, mom." in a monotonous, sleepy voice as she smiles genuinely this time and ruffle my hair.

 

My ordinary day continues in the dining table where dad and Youngjae will be waiting. When the two men in the house sees the sight of me, Dad will put the newspaper down and start digging with Youngjae. They'll greet me a good morning in synch while facing their plates and Youngjae, my older brother, will put the glass of milk he made together with his coffee beside my plate like always for the past seventeen years.

We would repeat the same routine we have been doing for the past seventeen years during an ordinary morning in an ordinary day without getting bored. There would be some changes like a little fight over the last piece of bacon or an argument on what football team is the best but nonetheless, it's all the same for the Choi Family.

 

After an ordinary morning, I'd have an ordinary school day. I'd walk to school with Youngjae who would automatically distance himself to me whenever he would notice a student from our school. He's isolate himself in a world of his own in school where nobody, not even me, can penetrate.

My brother, Choi Youngjae, is The School Nerd. The whole school labeled him that way not because we just thought it was something that would suite him so we could make fun of him but because he had surrounded himself with nothing but books and didn't give himself the chance to meet other people. Choi Youngjae, my older brother, is an inborn introvert.

No worries though, because nobody would dare make fun of him. Nobody will dare defy me and taste the wrath of his little sister, Choi Ahyoung, The Queenka. Me. I've made it a clear point long ago that nobody touches my older brother and no one gets hurt. Otherwise, it will be hell in this school and not even Im Jaebum or Park Jinyoung can stop me.

 

Those two, though. Honestly, the main foundation of this school is not the faculty but those two. Without them, not even the principal can handle these wild students. Im Jaebum, The Student Council Presidentis the iron fist that sets rules who no one will ever break or else, it means going through him. Im Jaebum has all the qualities on being a gang leader and believe me, the last thing you want is to enter the Student Council office and have a "talk" with him.

Park Jinyoung, The Nagger Student Council Vice-Presidentis the shadow of Im Jaebum. He might seem like the perfectionist guy who wants everything spotless and perfect but Jinyoung is the mind behind the rules that Jaebum writes down in the invisible rule book of Haewon High School. He plans the rules that makes the school run and operate in perfection. Everything would fall down and crumble to pieces without him,including Jaebum.

An ordinary day at Haewon High would go normal and peaceful and it's all because of them.

 

An ordinary classroom would always have some bizzare moments. Ofcourse, a classroom with thirty individuals is a place where east meets west. Always a world where every characteristic, attitude and personality collides.

"I'd love to deal with you ladies but I still have homeworks to do." That voice belongs to none other than Jackson Wang. The Town Idiot who every girl in this town dubbed as The Town Heartrhob. He has everything, the looks, the money, the politician parents and the big house except for a brain. If ever I'm wrong and he actually has one, I'd say that it's useless and he should just feed it to the birds than letting it rot in his skull uselessly.

"Oh, Jackson, stay with us and let Mark do it!" One says, getting the notebooks from Jackson's desk and dropping it all in the quiet guy's desk which was already filledwith other notebooks from other students who made him do their stupid homeworks.

Mark Tuan, everyone's punching bag and homework maker, is Mr. NobodyI sighed and stopped just beside his desk filled with all sorts and sizes of notebooks waiting to get filled with answers to yesterday's History and Math homeworks. I closed my eyes in irritation and dropped my bag on the desk just beside his before kicking his desk down. All the notebooks fell down in clutter as the wooden desk made the loud sound that caused the room to be in silence.

Instantly, everybody picks their own notebooks from the ground and sits down on their desks, waiting for the teacher to arrive, quietly. Like a routine, they will look down, fearing of meeting my gaze and getting screwed.

Because like I said, it's an ordinary day and this is an ordinary scene in our ordinary school life.

The class would start when Mr. Park enters the room and starts the lesson after two freshmen puts his things down on the table and exits right after.

Like a routine. Automatic and continuous.

 

 

 

Only, we didn't know that the ordinary things will never stay ordinary after the next fifteen seconds.

No routine will ever be existent and everything will never go in order like the way it used to be. No social rankings and no power will ever rule. Everything will be equal. Anyone will discard his beliefs and will only focus on saving his .

Because everything, starting from now on, will be a nightmare turned into reality. A horrible fantasy brought to life.

 

 

A piercing scream errupts, alarming us. It was hard not to get disturbed by the horrified scream that felt like it came from a scary movie. Mr. Park runs to see what's happening followed by the students who wanted to pry their heads and see what's going on. The loud and horrible scream disturbed our lazy and bored minds, making everyone want to know what just happened.

I remember someone from my sea of classmates asking : "Did someone die?"

 

 

 

And when I knew what the fuss was all about, I wanted to scream and cry, too.

Someone did die... and went back to life.

 

 

 

I gasped at the sight of people biting and eating people like monsters. It looked so gruesome and horrifying than any horror movie I've watched and all I wanted is for everything to pause and stop just like a movie would.

But I'm not the one who has the remote control.

 

 

Before I could let out the same scream heard a few seconds ago and cry due to shock, a hand grabbed my wrist and dragged me away.