gomapta 고맙다

red and blue ◇ me and you

gomapta 고맙다

 

The evening of the MBC Entertainment Awards ceremony. 

 

3,039 words, romance/fluff

Touch. His touch. It left longing feelings in her.

 

Hand. His hand. It held her's.

 

Heartbeat. His heartbeat. It beat with hers.

 

Three. Two. One. Time.

 

The heavily anticipated night had finally arrived. It was the night of the award ceremony that MBC held in order to celebrate the stars that had brought fun, laughter and smiles to viewers all over the nation. Various entertainers, some who had been the industry for years, and others who had just begun to make their name, all strolled down the red velvet carpet that stemmed from the MBC venue to the sparkling black vehicles.

 

Soeun stepped down of the vehicle, turning her head to thank the driver while her hand extended and found Jaerim's who was already standing outside. The moment her heels touched the ground, a cold breeze hit her arms, making her hair rise. Jaerim, who was attuned to her cold hands realized they were colder than usual and began rubbing his hands against her bare arms. He would've gladly done the same with the her thanks to the circular cut in her navy blue dress, but openly displaying so much skinship in front of all the fans, would only make Soeun anxious. He didn't want to bring more as she was already uncomfortable and nervous with their upcoming presentation that night and being nominees for various awards, one of which was The Best Couple Award.

 

"Jaerim oppa!" "Kim Soeun!"

 

It was chanted outside the venue, along with the names of other celebrities from We Got Married.

 

The other virtually married couples, namely Hong Jonghyun and Kim Yura as well as Nam Goongmin and Hong Jinyoung enlaced arms together but Soeun and Jaerim were a bit different, holding hands from the beginning of their arrival to the venue. They weren't trying to be different nor were they acting it out. For them, holding hands just felt right. It felt natural and after the two had discussed in so many interviews that they were trying to show their real image on We Got Married, they felt that this event was no different.

 

"Manner, manner," a fan commented when Jaerim pushed back the train of Soeun's dress that was getting in the way. Never one to disappoint with fanservice, he waved back at the fun with a smile, his hand finding Soeun's hips in the meantime. It was an intimate gesture, but she didn't go tense the way she did in their 3rd meeting when he had tried to measure her waist size. The thought made his heart race.

 

Inside the building, the MCs, Park Seulgi and Hwang Jaesong, the latter whom Jaerim and Soeun had met once before at their virtual reception, began asking the three couples questions regarding their nomination for The Best Couple Award that night.

 

When asked who they thought would win, Jaerim responded: "Since we are still newlyweds, we have no greed," which earned him a lot of oohs and aahs and a pat on the back from his pleased wife. She knew he was humble, very humble and she was too.

 

He had gone through difficult times, trying to get his name out there and she had struggled to get her name to stay. They were both in the same boat.

 

That's why they understood each other better than anyone else.

 

⊱✿ ✿⊰

 

"The Male Rookie Award goes to Song Jaerim...."

 

His mind went blank. His ears heard no other sound but that of his beating heart's. His eyes saw faces cheering for him but they were all a blur. He tilted his head and then her face appeared, her beautiful eyes crinkling in a deep eyesmile, gazing at him with pride and at that moment, sound, touch and vision came back.

 

There was a second winner but he hadn't heard his name. Everyone got up. Hong Jonghyun gave him a very brotherly hug, and he returned it warmly. Soeun was standing with a warm smile, leaving space for him so he could make his way to the stage. Despite not winning in the category for females, there was no ounce of jealousy in her face's outline. She was only blossoming with happiness and pride.

 

He realized her recognition meant more to him than anyone else's so when she whispered, "Congratulations oppa," while his face passed by her's, his hand slightly grazing her cold back, and leaving her with a cheesy hand signal, he felt fulfilled.

 

His thank you speech was simple. He hadn't prepared himself well, mainly because he didn't expect to win.

 

“I never really expected that I would win this award."

 

His hands were shaking but he hid it well by holding onto the award tightly. He was sure he couldn't hide the tears in his eyes.

 

"I only just got married. I will just treat this as a late wedding present."

 

Despite being in the industry for a long time, he had never won an award, mainly because he had never gotten into the limelight until now. Everything changed after We Got Married. It had all changed after he met her.

 

"The reason behind me winning this award is because of my partner. Thank you, So Eun-ah.”

 

Soeun looked directly at him, her eyes glossy. Jaerim was cheesy but he had a way with words. She was touched.

 

The audience applauded and listened to the next thank you speech. Jaerim only stared at Soeun.

 

As the seconds ticked by, the heavy ornament in his arms started to feel like nothing.

 

He chuckled at the irony because compared to Soeun, everything meant nothing.

 

⊱✿ ✿⊰

 

They played and touched and laughed when the cameras weren't pointing at them. From the beginning, he had thrown away everything and treated his marriage to Soeun as a real, faithful marriage to her but it was surprising to see that the other men seemed to be genuinely loving off-screen too. He wondered what kind of love potion the We Got Married Director had given to the husbands, that they were so smitten with their wives.

 

"Oppa, where are you going to put your award?" Soeun asked as her fingers traced the brown box in which the silver trophy was kept.

 

"In front of your picture frame, jagi," he replied jokingly and instantly shielded himself from Soeun's incoming jab.

 

"I'm kidding, i'm kidding. You look cute when you're mad so I like seeing you mad," Jaerim said in his most sincerest tone but the context of it made her question if he was joking again.

 

"You like seeing me mad?" she asked, her eyebrows still furrowed with her bottom lip jutting out.

 

Jaerim nodded whilst shutting his eyes, replying with his own aegyo.

 

After a while, Jaerim's arms naturally fell behind Soeun's chair. From time to time, his fingers would draw circles on her but as long as the cameras were off them, Soeun didn't back away. He was even more astounded when she naturally grabbed his hand under the table, interlaced her fingers with his and began playing with his thumb unconsciously when they were announcing the winners for The New Star Award.

 

"...Kim Soeun, Nam Goongmin, Hong Jonghyun..."

 

The whole We Got Married cast's table was surprised, but the expression of shock and confusion turned to smiles and congratulatory words. Jaerim grabbed his wife by her side and his other arm pulled her head close. His lips slightly grazed over her hair, so slightly that it was enough to make her blush but not enough to make anybody else notice.

 

"Go shine now, my brightest star," he sent her off, cheesy lines coming out from him like a wrecking ball, but Soeun laughed happily. In some moments, even his cheesiness was acceptable.

 

Jaerim, Yura and Jinyoung gave a standing ovation to their respective partners as they received their awards.

 

Soeun spoke eloquently: "Thank you Jaerim oppa for teasing me to laugh."

 

She looked up to see Jaerim giving two thumbs up, and loudly whistling. A grin appeared on her face.

 

Proud was not enough to describe what he was feeling for the lady in the dazzling, navy blue dress.

 

Her words were enough.

 

His heart swelled.

 

⊱✿ ✿⊰

 

Jaerim's cheesy flirting with his wife during the Highest Rating Category Presentation, got Jaerim a couple of weak hits backstage.

 

"But Eun-ah, I couldn't help myself. When you wear clothes like that, how am I supposed to look away?"

 

Soeun sighed and rolled her eyes. Her husband and his comments were making her insane. It was bad enough that he had made her lose her cool in front of an audience of hundreds and TV viewers of thousands but now he was making her blush backstage.

 

"Do you know how many men I caught staring at you?" Jaerim stated, the signs of jealousy appearing on his face.

 

His jealousy excited her. It felt nice to know he cared and felt protective about her so much. His expression at the moment was so adorable that she made a self-note to wear more seductive dresses in public.

 

"How many?" She said, a sly smile on her face.

 

"Like one."

 

He laughed and got hit again for teasing her.

 

"Come here! I'm going to destroy that perfect model face of yours," Soeun took off her heels and came lunging at him with a full fist. Unfortunately, she didn't see the lighting cable and tripped on her small feet. Jaerim's arms went out immediately, catching her.

 

She felt his hands touching her , holding her protectively as her own arms rested on his chest. She carefully peeked from the corner of her eye and when she saw his strong gaze fixated on her figure, she shyly looked away.

 

They stayed quiet for a while, his hot breath soothing her forehead, her pink cheek resting on his shoulder.

 

"Jagiya, you should be more careful."

 

His tone was stern and serious and did things to Soeun. If she thought his cheesy self was unbearable, she was wrong. It was his serious side that made everything unbearable to the point that she could no longer have an assertive control on her feelings. In these type of uncontrolled situations, she would hit him forcefully or laugh with him, to hide her true feelings with a calm mask.

 

However right now, all Soeun could manage was a blush, a blush that slowly crept past her cheeks and her small arms fell to the sides to wrap themselves around his torso.

 

Song Jaerim was the only person in the world who could reduce her bold self into a blushing girl within seconds.

 

And she was starting to realize that she liked it.

 

A lot.

 

⊱✿ ✿⊰

 

"So, guys," Jinyoung said as she traced the cup of her glass with her finger, "where should we go after this? You know to celebrate." Her voice raised in pitch, with growing excitement and twinkling eyes. Soeun wondered how a woman who was older than her, could feel younger than her with her childish, aegyo-filled personality.

 

"Sauna!" Jaerim exclaimed the first thing that came out of his mouth, earning a slight shove from Soeun followed by the latter covering her face in embarrassment.

 

"Please excuse my husband," Soeun muttered.

 

The four others laughed and Jaerim looked at his wife lovingly, not embarrassed at all, and glad that his words could bring such a reaction out of Soeun.

 

"It's okay unnie," Yura smiled, reaching across the table to pat Soeun's hand. "Jaerim-oppa's really funny."

 

Soeun didn't know why but hearing another girl add the oppa suffix to Jaerim's name, bothered her to the point of jealousy. She had thought she was used to it when she heard KARA's Gyuri address him the same way over the phone but she had guessed wrong. Yura was only innocently and respectfully addressing an older male yet it still bothered her fragile heart.

 

Did she feel insecure with a room full of beautiful women, that could easily grab his attention? Even though Jaerim's arm was possessively around her chair, even though his eyes would look down at her lips from time to time, even though her presence made him smile radiantly, even though he thanked her and called himself "her man" on live television.

 

With no reason to feel insecure or doubtful, Soeun could only blame her jealousy on her possessive attachment to her husband, a degree exceeding any attachment she had to her previous boyfriends.

 

She sighed and inwardly admitted to herself that she had fallen. And very hard at that.

 

⊱✿ ✿⊰

 

Touch. His touch. It left longing feelings in her.

 

Hand. His hand. It held her's.

 

Heartbeat. His heartbeat. It beat with her's.

 

They had just announced the six nominees for MBC's Best Couple Award 2014, and as expected, all three couples from We Got Married were up for the running.

 

While the MC approached the mic to announce the winner, the tension in the atmosphere grew thicker by each passing second.

 

"MBC's We Got Married Season 4."

 

Soeun gulped. Jaerim gulped. Their hands clasped tighter.

 

"Song Jaerim and Kim Soeun..."

 

Their hands dropped.

 

Jaerim held his breath. Soeun was in a daze.

 

The world was silent for the both of them, silent of sound and faces.

 

Soeun turned to Jaerim, gazing into his eyes for answers and his were also searching her's for the truth: if this was real or not?

 

When the cameras approached the two of them seconds later, when the two couples from their table began congratulating them and clapping for them, when the MCs began describing their chemistry, Soeun and Jaerim's senses came back and they both realized that this was indeed no dream.

 

Soeun's hand covered and Jaerim mimicked her. They were speechless. Soeun felt emotional with the fans cheering wildly, their co-workers that had been longer on the program, clapping loudly.

 

Jaerim had not grasped anything yet. All he knew was that he and Soeun had won an award and they had to go accept it. After prodding his wife to get up, they both gratefully said their humble thanks to the other two couples, and Jaerim gently guided Soeun out of her seat to the stage, touching her back as he did so.

 

They both accepted the award, and even with the two trophies in their hands, it still felt surreal. They exchanged glances once more and laughed at how unbelievable everything was.

 

Slowly, they walked over to the mic, Jaerim calling Soeun to come closer by addressing her as "Jagiya," getting a lot of hollers from the audience. He started to speak yet words escaped him and Soeun was no help either. It showed that they weren't expecting this. They weren't prepared at all. His eyes met Soeun's emotional ones, and he felt that his heart was also getting heavy.

 

"I really didn′t expect this. It feels like I received a cash advance that I can′t pay off. I don′t know how to repay this. We′ll pay it all back with a good and pretty image," he said when he finally could think of something coherent to say, swallowing once he was done and restraining himself from shedding tears.

 

Soeun then added her own words. "It hasn′t been that long since we started and I′m so apologetic to get the couple award first." She was really sorry that they had won this award before the others, but the loving gazes and whistles and cheers from the We Got Married table showed that they were genuinely happy for Solim. "Thank you so much for giving us this award. We will work harder to show a better image in the future. Thank you."

 

Jaerim and Soeun ended their speech and walked backstage, with their two trophies that would forever remind them why indeed they were the best for each other.

 

⊱✿ ✿⊰

 

They were backstage now, seated on a sofa, calming down, yet still in a daze.

 

"Oppa, I can't believe this just happened," Soeun admitted, watching the two trophies that were standing on the table in front of her.

 

"Me neither."

 

"They must really like us," Soeun admitted further.

 

"I'm starting to believe that 50 years really doesn't sound like a bad idea. Maybe we should do it."

 

Jaerim looked over at Soeun hopeful, his eyes still mesmerized by her radiant beauty.

 

Soeun looked back. Sometimes she didn't know if Jaerim was serious or not, whether he really liked her or not, what was real and what was reel, but 50 years to Jaerim were not meaningless words.

 

Soeun slowly nodded, immediately getting a huge gummy grin out of Jaerim.

 

"Let's celebrate tonight, after we celebrate with the others. Just the two of us," Jaerim stated, as he got up from the couch and pulled Soeun up by her hand along with him.

 

"How?" Soeun asked. "Should we drink the bellflower liquor?"

 

Jaerim shook his head. "I want you to be sober for what we do tonight."

 

It took Soeun three seconds to process what he meant, and Jaerim couldn't help but laugh when Soeun's eyes widened in realization. She hit him on the shoulder, her eyebrows creased together in annoyance.

 

"Aniyaa..Don't joke about stuff like that, you ..." She yelped when she realized he was lifting her off her feet. His hand rested at the exposed part of her back for the umpteenth time that night yet this time, it sent electricity through her body. Jaerim adjusted Soeun in his hold, and afraid of falling, Soeun immediately wrapped her arms around his neck.

 

She gazed at him, trying to read his eyes. He always flustered her whether it was rattling her brain with his statements or physically causing her to blush.

 

"I'm not." He was outright serious. Soeun gulped, as the red in her cheeks spread like a wildfire on the rest of her face.

 

She always had her emotions in check, a hold on her desires, but ever since she met the unpredictable Song Jaerim, her emotions controlled her, her desires controlled her and her mind constantly drifted off to thoughts of him.

 

Soeun knew that at this point, this was no longer virtual reality, this was no longer entertainment. This was life.

 

And her heart whispered, "This is love."

 

⊱✿ ✿⊰

 

tumblr_nhnq0lqF4A1rwog7ro1_500.gif

Solim MBC Winning Speech Credit

Gif Credit

Solim Winnning Best Couple Video

Click here