.001

The Best Friend Oath

You’ve got to be kidding me.” Jackson muttered, folding his arms against his chest.

He leaned against the wooden gate and tapped his foot in a rhythmic beat against the sidewalk. The boy has been waiting 30 minutes outside of his best friend’s apartment and was beginning to get impatient. He checked his phone for the tenth time even though it’s only been a minute since the last time he checked his phone. “Heo Youngji, I swear if you don’t come out in the next ten seconds I’m going to leave without you.” Jackson stated, looking away from his watch. He looked behind the fence and smiled when he saw the door open. “Finally…” Jackson sighed, but to only be disappointed by an old man coming out instead.

“ARGH!” Jackson yelled frustrated. He started stomping his feet away from the apartment, but something stopped him. Guilt started to build up in his body and the fear of something happening to his best friend ran around his mind. “Aish, she’s lucky I care about her.” Jackson mumbled walking back to the fence.

As he got to the fence, he heard a high pitched squeal come from the building.

“Wang Jackson! Did you just get here?!” Youngji accused, marching towards the boy who was shocked by her statement.

“Heck no girl! I’ve been outside for thirty minutes.” Jackson stated defending himself.

“Then why did I just see you walking to the fence?”

“I was going to leave you, but being your best friend I couldn’t.”

“You’re such a bad liar.” Youngji said coolly.

“I’m not lying!” Jackson scowled, stomping his feet really fast. “Why are we even friends?!”

“Because,” Youngji wrapped her arms around Jackson’s neck, placing him in a head lock. “Without each other, we wouldn’t have survived middle and high school.”

“You mean you wouldn’t have survived.” Jackson retorted, but only earning a tighter grip around his neck.

“And we both love each other unconditionally to the point we can practically be siblings.” Youngji added, finally releasing her grip from Jackson’s neck.

“Me living with you? Ha, please my genes are way more superior than yours,” Jackson chuckled, fixing his shirt and hair. “Come on, we’re going to miss the bus.” Jackson grabbed Youngji’s hand and started walking down the sidewalk.

“You said you were going to get your license soon.” Youngji stated, pulling her hand away from Jackson’s. She picked up her paste to walk besides Jackson instead.

“Soon. That doesn’t mean now.” Jackson replied. “But when I do, you’ll be the first person I’ll take out to eat.”

“Really?!” Youngji smiled, hanging off of Jackson’s shoulder. “I’ll be the first person?”

Jackson smiled and nodded. “Of course, you always pay for our food-“

Plack.

“OW!!!” Jackson yelled, rubbing his . “Why’d you kick me?!”

“Because you were just saying you use me for food.” Youngji stated, crossing her arms against her chest. Jackson widen his eyes at Youngji’s words. Youngji only stuck her tongue out and walked away, still having her arms crossed against her chest.

“Yah! I’m sorry.” Jackson said, running up to Youngji. “Slowdown will you?”

“You said we were going to be late.”

“Yeah, but not that late.”

Youngji sighed and walked faster leaving Jackson behind. “Hurry up! It’s cause of your weird pants that we’re dawdling off.”

“This is the new trend!” Jackson said, defending himself. “Girls love it! I know it makes my legs look shorter, but nothing is wrong wearing these.”

Youngji still kept her fast paste walking, but what Jackson didn’t know was that Youngji was smiling like an idiot and giggling a little at his words. She knew offending him with his fashion would make him complain more, but she thought it was cute when he tried to defend himself for no reason. “Hurry up Wang Jackson, or we will really be late.”

Jackson groaned and stomped his foot firmly on the ground. “She’s so mean…” Jackson pouted, but seconds later, a small loving smile appeared on his face as he looked back up at Youngji. “But she’s probably the coolest person in my life.”

-At the collage-

“If you have any questions please feel free to ask me or any of the teachers on campus.” The principal stated, ending the freshmen orientation for the collage.

Quickly after, all the students bolted out the auditorium to find their friends and classes. As many of them left, Youngji and Jackson was taking their time to get out.  

“What are you taking again?” Youngji asked.

“Engineering. Mainly mechanical, but other topics will be added in later.” Jackson replied. He looked down at Youngji and saw that Youngji’s hair was tangled. “You?” He took out a mini brush and handed it to Youngji.

“Why do you have this with you?” Youngji giggled, taking the mini brush and fixing her hair. She saw Jackson shrug in the corner of her eyes. “I’m taking music and arts. I want to be well known, but not like idol well known. You get what I’m saying?” She gave the brush back to Jackson, which he placed in his front pocket on his backpack.

Jackson nodded. “So like musicals and stuff. And why? I’d be an Idol if I had the chance.”

“Hm. The idol life seems to stressful, and from seeing scandals and stuff, it feels like the world just owns you and the more you’re into that life, the more your life gets exposed.” Youngji replied.

“Oh. Well, Idol life or Musical life, I’ll always be supporting you.” Jackson smiled, giving Youngji a thumbs up.

“I know. That’s what best friends are for.” Youngji slightly slapped Jackson in the arm. “Let’s go, our first year of collage awaits us.” Youngji grabbed Jackson’s hand and started to head out the auditorium.