o1.

The Homerunner

        It was that one summer, the year 2008, 2:47 in the afternoon. I remembered everything that happened at that precise moment: watching everything unfold from the back of the train. You can almost call it a childhood trauma. How everything slowed down, prolonging the most painful moment of my life almost mockingly. I watched him, his eyes wide with terror. How he jumped; and fell down... down... I never saw where he landed. 

        That was a long time ago. They say memories fade in time. But I've learnt, that no matter how much you try to bury it; crush it, you cannot run away. Because I now realise, in these 7 years, I've been staring at that same cliff, in the same train, watching the same scene replay over and over again...

        You can't run away from your past.

 

[2003; BUSAN]

        "Dolunim..." A voice stirred a young boy from his sleep. The boy squirmed in his blankets impatiently, blocking out the disturbance. A hand reached out to shake him gently. "Dolunim, its time for school. You're gonna be late for school."

        Finally, the sleeping figure opened an eye. "Do you really have to do that?" he grumbled, "I was having a really good dream."

        The culprit who woke him smiled sweetly at him, "Breakfast is ready, dolunim. I'll let you change now." With his head inclined downwards, the newcomer retreated from the room, leaving the boy alone. The boy tossed his blankets aside, half-annoyed. Turning to his side, he saw that the clock read '6.30' precisely. Never a minute late... "This Yoo Youngjae," he sighed, ruffling his messy hair. Hopping down from his bed, he trudged towards his closet to change into his school uniform.

        Youngjae greeted him at the dining table, the boy's breakfast consisting of rice and meat already laid out in front of him. Mumbling his thanks, the boy sat down at the table and tucked in hungrily. From the corner of his eye, he watched Youngjae pick up his own breakfast -- bread and butter, and sit at the foot of the staircase.

        The boy didn't mind, it was common practice already.

        "Youngjae!"

        The sound of a deep, gruff voice startled both boys from their meals. A tall, bald man descended from the stairs. "Sir!" Youngjae yelped in surprise, shooting up from his seat and bowing towards the newcomer. The man placed his large hand on Youngjae's shoulder. "You shouldn't be sitting here, Youngjae. Go sit next to Daehyun and eat properly."

        "Yes sir..." 

        His eyes still aimed at the ground, Youngjae slowly made his way towards the dining table, sitting next to the boy, who shifted uncomfortably in his seat. The older man nodded in approval before leaving the house, slamming the door behind him. Daehyun tried not to feel disturbed.  After all, the maids in his house always ate seperately from them...

        Youngjae was quiet throughout the meal, making no noise even when he was chewing, his eyes darting about nervously as though he was worried that someone was staring at him. He finished his bread quickly, washing up at the sink and heading to the study room.

        "The blue and the red book today, dolunim?" he asked. 

        "Bring the smaller notebook with purple lines too," Daehyun replied, not looking up from his food. Youngjae re-emerged from the study room again, carrying three books in his arms. Daehyun shovelled the remains of his meal in his mouth, standing up from his seat. Immediately, a maid came in and cleaned up after him. 

         Daehyun slipped into his school shoes, Youngjae wearing a similar-looking (albeit older and tattered) pair. "Let's go."

        The pair started their walk towards school, Youngjae carrying the books. They passed by the familiar roads and alleys. Daehyun slowed down when they neared a sign advertising a new brand of cell phones. The former turned to look at Youngjae curiously. "How is it today?" He watched Youngjae study the sign carefully, his eyes narrowing in concentration for a few short sessions before he snapped his eyes shut again, shaking his head in discomfort. 

        Daehyun shrugged. "Guess not..."

        They finally reached Namcheon Elementary School. At the gates, Youngjae reluctantly handed the books over to Daehyun, staring at the huge white building in wonder. A few students rushed past them, chattering excitedly with their peers. Daehyun knew the look in Youngjae's eyes all to well: awe, admiration with a tinge of envy. Youngjae knew he would never be able to live that kind of life.

        Daehyun stared at his companion for a few more seconds before patting his back. "C'mon, Jae. I'll read to you tonight." Youngjae's eyes lit up. "You will, dolunim?" The former nodded. "Pick me up after school, okay?" With a wave, Daehyun ran into the gates into the school, leaving Youngjae alone.


 

        When Youngjae and I were kids, our favourite activity was tree-climbing. Sitting on the highest branches, we felt free. No stress, we were free to be whoever we want, do whatever we want. No one could see us, and no one could stop us.

        Our favourite tree was the tall mango tree that grew at the back of our house, overlooking a large sports field with a worn out baseball court in the middle. The mango tree was an old one -- barren with most of its leaves lost, and it hardly ever bore fruit. But when it did, we loved picking it and using it as weapons, aiming the soft fruit at innocent passers-by, dogs and any other creature that managed to enter our range of fire. Youngjae had a deadly aim. But most of the time, it was I who told him to throw the fruits.

        When we got into trouble, Youngjae never ratted me out, ever.


 

        "Why don't you join them, dolunim?"

        The pair were perched at their usual hangout, sitting on the crown of the mango tree, hidden amongst the interweaving branches. Youngjae, fiddling with an unripe mango in his hand, watched Daehyun gaze downwards at the field, where a group of boys were engaged in a heated game of baseball. Youngjae knew Daehyun was extremely good at baseball; he already made it into the school team. Wouldn't he want to practice his skills instead of sitting here?

         "Dolunim..? I'll... I'll stay out of sight, if it makes you more comfortable. You can join them. I'll just stay here-"

        Daehyun tore his gaze away from the boys. "No, thank you," he said firmly. Only now did Youngjae realise that the emotion b in the other boy's eyes were not jealousy, but anger. Youngjae stared at him curiously. Daehyun tucked his knees towards his chest, pulling himself into a ball shape against the tree trunk. "Today, I scored full marks for a music test. Ssem said I did amazing, and had a really good singing voice."

       Youngjae tilted his head. None of this wasn't news to him. Youngjae knew that besides sports, Daehyun was extremely talented in the field of music. 

        The 10-year-old let out a frustrated sigh. "But they laughed at me. They said singing was too girly. I hate them."

       Youngjae nodded, finally understanding. "I'll never laugh at you, dolunim." Daehyun turned to face his companion, a hint of a smile threatening to break across his lips. "I know you wouldn't, and that's why I like hanging out with you better. And besides-" Daehyun nodded at the fruit that was still in Youngjae's hand. "You make a far better pitcher than any of them down there."

        The younger boy grinned, turning slightly red at the compliment, but it slowly faltered when he saw Daehyun turning his attention back to the boys playing in the field. The older boy looked at them with a glint of mischief in his eyes, a look Youngjae knew all too well. The boy's grip on the fruit tightened.

        "Dolunim?" 

        Daehyun turned to Youngjae, smiling roguishly. "Have you been practicing your pitching lately?"

        ........

 

        "GET BACK HERE!"

        "MY SHIRT!"

         "WHO THREW THAT?!"

         Daehyun and Youngjae sprinted back indoors, their hands sticky with the evidence of their latest mango air raid, while their victims screeched in outrage, hair and shirts all stained with fruit.


 

        During the evenings, Youngjae and I would sit by the fire in the family room. I would have a book spread across my lap, Youngjae no less than 4 feet away, fiddling with something in his hand (he needs to keep his hands busy). There, I would read to him stories from the book. He would sit there, eyes wide and drinking in my every word. Being illiterate, Youngjae could only appreciate the beauty of literature through listening.

        He loved the stories so much, sometimes begging me to read it to him again. His particular favourite story of  Brave Hong Gil-Dong, basically a Korean version of Robin Hood. He would look on in awe and amazement as I narrate how the misfit of the family who faced severe discriminations, fought back against the corrupt society and robbed to feed the poor. 

        When we got bored of stories, Youngjae would ask me to sing for him. I guess there wasn't much you could do if you couldn't read. And I didn't mind one bit, since I enjoyed singing. So I sang to him.

"When you're tired and exhausted, lean on me
I will always be by your side
So that you never feel like you're alone in this world, 
I'll be right beside you, holding your hand."


 

[2015; SEOUL, KBS BROADCASTING STATION]

        The audience swooned when Daehyun sang the last line of the song, but MC Lee didn't seem very impressed. 

        "Your voice never fails to amaze me, Daehyun-sshi," she began. "But I thought the audience was promised a heart-wrenching story, not an biography of your childhood playmate."

        Daehyun chuckled. "Good things come with patience, MC Lee. This is just a warm-up."

        MC Lee sighed, "Well, I hate to stop you, but we are about to head into our first commercial break for tonight." Turning to face the camera, she grinned, "Viewers, stay glued to your seat! We will be back on Hallyu to Heart very soon! Don't change the channel!"

        "And, cut!"