Final

Don't Leave

"Jaebum hyung! Hyung wake up! Hyung don't leave me!" Youngjae tried keeping Jaebum's eyes open, at least until the ambulance arrived. His shoulder was shaking violently. Fat tears rolled down his wounded cheeks. He didn't even care anymore for his state of being. He didn't even care anymore for people who were watching them. All he wanted now was just Jaebum to be safe. He wanted Jaebum to say to him that he's fine. He wanted the ambulance to come right now because , the wound won't stop bleeding! Where the hell is the paramedic?!

While he was trying to stop the bleeding in Jaebum's head with his hand, somebody grabbed his shoulder and pulled him from Jaebum. Suddenly, he was thrown onto a stretcher and was brought into an ambulance. Jaebum was slowly disappearing from his sight. He didn't know if it was because of the distance or because he himself was getting even dizzy and hell, he couldn't open his eyes anymore. He couldn't afford to pass out right now because he had to make sure Jaebum's fine but his eyelids were getting heavier and he was knocked out when oxygen was given to him.

 

Oh , this light is blinding me. Where the hell am I? Was I dead already? Is this heaven? Is that the angel? He looks familiar, though, I swear I've see-- oh, it's only Jinyoung.

"Youngjae? You okay buddy?" Jinyoung's voice was shaky. Youngjae emptied his lungs before in more oxygen.

"My head hurts a lot." Youngjae was surprised to hear his own voice. It was so hoarse and for a split moment, he thought he wouldn't be able to sing anymore.

"You have to rest. The rest will be coming later this afternoon, and the nurse will come at 12 to check on you and--"

"Hyung, where's Jaebum hyung?" Jinyoung froze. He forced a smile.

"He's fine. Now you should be worrying about yourself and I think you should sleep some--"

"Bring me to him, hyung. I want to meet him."

Jinyoung gave a little shake of his head. "No, you can't. Once you got a little better, I'll take you to him."

"Hyung,please. I thought you of all people would understand." Jinyoung couldn't look into Youngjae's eyes. He tried to stick to his decision. "No, Youngjae. Why do you want to see him so much? What, you think it'll heal you if you meet him?"

Youngjae forced Jinyoung to look into his eyes. "Hyung, I beg you. It obviously will not heal my physical injuries, but at least it heals my heart to know his conditions." Jinyoung knew he could never said no to Youngjae. He let out a deep, long sigh. "Wait here, I'll find a wheelchair for you."

 

Youngjae fidgeted on his wheelchair. The trip to Jaebum's ward took a longer time than he expected. After what felt like an eternity, they finally arrived in front of Jaebum's private ward. Youngjae didn't know what to feel. Jinyoung squeezed lightly his shoulder, as if to give him some courage. "Brace yourself," Jinyoung whispered near his ear. Suddenly he felt like going back to his ward and wait for the right time before visiting Jaebum. He was scared, honestly. But it was too late. Jinyoung's already pushing open the door to Jaebum's ward and Youngjae felt his heart fell from its place and shattered into pieces.

Jaebum was unconscious, obviously. But what broke Youngjae's heart the most was his condition. Wires and tubes were all over his body. He was breathing heavily. His once perfect skin was now wounded. His face was pale, yet it seemed really calm.

"Jaebum hyung." His name came out like a whisper from Youngjae's lips. He closed his glassy eyes, secretly wishing that this was a dream. It wasn't. "I'll leave you with him. I'll be back later." Jinyoung patted Youngjae's shoulder and leave the room. Youngjae silently thanked his hyung for understanding him. He gathered his courage and forced himself to stand on his own feet and walked to stand next to Jaebum's bed. "Hyung please wake up. Please." He couldn't take it anymore. He sat on the chair next to Jaebum's bed. And he cried till he fell asleep.

 

Youngjae woke up to the feeling of soft grass underneath him and the beautiful voice that was humming a melody that was somehow familiar to his ears.

"Youngjae, wake up." A voice whispered to his ears. He snapped open his eyes to a smiling face he loved and missed so much.

"Jaebum hyung?" He raised his hand softly and touched Jaebum's face, as if to make sure that he was real, that this was real. Jaebum smiled even wider, and Youngjae fell in love even deeper.

"Where are we? We were in the hospital just now, right? You were unconscious, hyung. Are you okay now?" Jaebum looked into Youngjae's eyes and took the latter's hand. He played with Youngjae's ring on his ring finger. It was a gift, from Jaebum himself.

"Youngjae, will you let me go?" Those words nearly killed Youngjae. He was surprised, obviously. He felt sadness swelling up in his chest. Without realizing, a tear rolled down his cheek.

"W-what? N-no, hyung. What makes you say that? Is it because of someone? Are you cheating on me hyung?!" Youngjae's voice rose. His tears was wetting his shirt, flowing fast like a waterfall. Jaebum placed his hand on Youngjae's cheek, wiping away those tears.

"No. I never cheat on you. I never have anyone else. You are the one and only for me. It's always you in my heart. But I can't stay here anymore. I have to go. You have to let me go, Youngjae. I'm sorry." Jaebum was slowly disappearing and Youngjae's grip on his hand loosened. Youngjae panicked.

"No Jaebum hyung don't go! I promise I'll be a good boy and stop bothering you and I'll listen to your words! Just please don't go!" Youngjae was sobbing out loud. He tried holding on to Jaebum's hand, but to no avail. Jaebum smiled for the last time and with a sudden cool, chill air blowing softly, Jaebum disappeared from Youngjae's sight. He fell on his knees, crying, crying and crying. Till he felt someone shook his shoulder.

 

“Youngjae, wake up! Why are you crying in your sleep?” Mark’s worried face appeared in his blurry sight. It took him a few seconds to realize that it was all just a dream. No, a nightmare. It was a nightmare. JB was still unconscious. He wiped his tears and shook his head.

“Nothing, hyung. I just had a nightmare.” He plastered a smile on his face.

“You should rest. Go back to your ward and have some proper sleep.” Mark patted his hand. Youngjae sighed.

“How could I rest when he was still in this condition, hyung? I can’t leave him like this.” His eyes once again glistened with tears.

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

Suddenly, Jaebum's breathing became rapid and both Mark and Youngjae panicked!

"Hyung!" Jaebum's chest rose and fell quickly. Mark pressed the emergency button and ran out to look for help.

"Hyung, don't leave us!" Youngjae was already in tears. He held Jaebum's hand tightly in his.

Beeeeeeeeeep-------

The doctor had arrived, but Jaebum was already gone. Mark pulled Youngjae out of the group of doctors and nurses who was trying to save Jaebum. But Youngjae knew that it was too late. Mark held Youngjae in his arms, soothing him even though he himself was crying silently.

Youngjae's knees went weak when the doctors said the horrible truth he loathed to hear.

 

"I'm sorry. We've tried our best."

Youngjae fainted.

 

I can't breathe! Why is this place so dark?! Where am I?! Let me out of here! Wait, Jaebum hyung! Where's him? He isn't dead, right? Hyung!

Youngjae jolted up from his sleep. He was breathing heavily. Jinyoung ran into his room.

"Youngjae? Are you okay? I heard you screaming just now. What happen?" Jinyoung hugged him to comfort him.

"Hyung, where's Jaebum hyung? Where is he? I need to see him. He isn't dead yet, right? Bring me to him, I want to see him." Youngjae looked into Jinyoung's uneasy eyes. Jinyoung held Youngjae's hand in his.

"Stop it, Jae. Please. You've been raving about it for a week now. It's been a week, Jae. A week since Jaebum hyung died." Jinyoung said calmly, but there was a hint of choked sobs between it.

Youngjae jumped out of bed. "You lied, hyung. You lied!" He ran out of the bedroom.

In the living room, he found Mark and Jackson sitting on the couch, both of them looking at him with surprised faces.

"You're awake, Jae." Mark's tone sounded a lot more of a statement than a question. Youngjae glanced at them.

"Where's Jaebum hyung?" He asked, making Mark and Jackson to look at each other with sympathy in their eyes.

"Jae, please, we beg you. Stop it." Mark said, voice shaking with sadness.

"You don't want to tell me? Okay, then. I'll look for him myself!"

"Choi Youngjae!" He turned around to see a fuming Jinyoung walked towards him, grabbed his hand and dragged him out of the house. He yelled at Jinyoung, telling him to stop and tell him where were they going. He tried to escape from Jinyoung's grip a few times, but gave up. Jinyoung was a lot stronger than what he thought. After a few more minutes of walking, they stopped. Jinyoung turned around to face him.

 

"Youngjae, I'm sorry. I can't say that I understand what you've been through, because I don't. I know you love him, and I'm more than sure that he loves you more than what you could possibly imagined. I'm not asking you to forget him, because of course you can never do that."

"Wait, hyung. What are you talking about? I don't understand. What--" Then, he realised something. They were at the cemetery.

He looked to his left. Whose grave is this? That was when he saw the name that was carved on the tombstone.

Im Jaebum.

He knelt slowly by the grave and let out a soft chuckle. "Is it true, hyung? What I'm seeing right now, is it true? It can't be, right? He's the best thing that have ever happened to me. He can't die. Not yet." He bit his lower lip and for the umptenth time, he cried. Jinyoung hugged him as he cried his heart out. He didn't know how long he cried, but suddenly his head was throbbing and he felt the world spinning. What's going on?

Youngjae...

Youngjae...

Youngjae.

That voice... Jaebum hyung.

"Youngjae! Yah wake up!" Jaebum's brows creased. 'Aish this kid. What was he dreaming? He was crying in his sleep.'

Youngjae opened his eyes. He rubbed his wet eyes. He was confused. He saw Jaebum sitting on his bed in the hospital ward, alive and staring at him. He asked the first question that came to his mind.

"Jaebum hyung? You're alive? Aren't you... dead?" He stared innocently to Jaebum.

"What?! CHOI YOUNGJAE! Do you want me dead?! Are you for real? Great, my boyfriend wants me dead. I've survived the accident but then he wants me dead. What were you dreaming just now? You--" Before Jaebum could finish his words, Youngjae pulled him into his embrace and cried on his shoulder. He was in real world now. All of those sorrow he'd been through, that was just nightmares. Yes, horrible nightmares. It was terrifying. Youngjae was really scared. He tightened his embrace around Jaebum.

Jaebum smiled. He reciprocated Youngjae's hug and his hair. "It's okay, Youngjae-yah. I'm here now. And I’m not going anywhere."

When Youngjae broke the hug, Jaebum pulled him for a kiss.

"Euww hyung, you tastes like medicine." Youngjae's face contorted with disgust.

“Aww, I thought you love my lips.”

“I do, but not with the medicine. So stop kissing me until you stop having your medicine.”

“What?!”


STUPID ENDING IS STUPID.