-01-

how to get the boy

He’s running late. Luck isn't with him first thing in the Sunday morning and he's dashing the streets of Hongdae after he got off from the packed bus to get to his University. He has a field work for a community outreach their school holds which is required for freshmen and sophomores to attend. However, he's thirty five minutes late and chances of the bus leaving him is highly possible. He wouldn't want to take community service all over again next semester so he better complete his attendance or else he has to redo everything he has accomplished again. Four out of seven meetings he was absent and if he didn't catch the bus again this time, hello to failure to absences on his report card. His auntie would definitely kill him if she sees it for sure and he would never have it, so he runs for his life.

Do Kyungsoo is a heavy sleeper. He isn't one before, a year ago and years ago. It started when he stepped in his sophomore year when stacks of readings, journals and bull piles up in his list of priorities. Well, bull has many branches from how he deals with his hard headed cousins Kim Jongdae and Kim Minseok whom he most of the times debate with, tease with and fight with over superficial things like how Twilight is like Fifty Shades of Grey in which Kyungsoo disagrees with so a debate will ensue until a fight surfaces. Kyungsoo doesn't want his likes to be compared with the others and no he is not a fan of , it's the story he is after. Second branch would be his set of friends who irritates, annoys him when they wouldn't meet his expectations and when they wouldn't agree with his arguments and whatnot or sometimes when they would just be damn annoying ruining his almost perfect day. Lastly would be the third branch, it is no other than his nagging, unbeatable, unbearable and meddler of his life his Auntie. Nagging and meddler says it all. She is unbeatable and unbearable, the reason Kyungsoo hates to go home so he would rather hang out with his chosen friends to be with to spend time outside rather than facing his righteous and prideful Aunt who he's bearing to be with for years since his parents whom he misses a lot aren't home, but in some place they have to be.

 

Back to the now, with his legs seeming to give up from running to the exact location where the buses should be, five buses greet his eyes and he laughs quietly under his breath, relief washing him over. "Thank god I'm not yet late." And his phone song vibrates from his jeans pocket. He pulls it out and finds seven missed calls and three messages from Sehun, his friend or you could say best bestfriend.

He slides his thumb over the screen to accept the call and presses it to his ear.

"Dude, where the are you!? We are supposed to leave thirty minutes ago, but I told Mr.Lee to wait for you and--"

"I'm here Sehun," he sighs, tracing his eyes on the bus numbers when he sees one of his classmates from the window and steps in bus number 3. Sehun is still chastising him from the other line for being late, but pays it no mind. He meets Mr.Lee on his way to the bus aisle.

"Thirty five minutes late," there's disappointment from his voice and from his face, brows furrowing. Kyungsoo cancels Sehun's call whom he sees from the middle part of the bus and bows in apology to his proctor.

"Sorry Mr.Lee I--" the elder raises his palm to halt him from explaining and he closes his mouth as he bows again and again. "No need to explain." he puts a hand on the boy's shoulder and pats him on his back. "Go take your seat so we could leave."

Kyungsoo presses his lips together and exhales through his mouth. He lifts his head to look back at Sehun, but the students from the right side catch his attention. They are from a different class and he did expect to have another class with them, but as far as he could remember they are not the class whom they are with before.

He takes a step, but a pen rolls near his foot and he's picking it up when another hand reaches for it and he raises his head.

If only asdfghjkl is a word he has already said it seconds ago.

He stays rooted on his place; Mr.Lee calls his name to get to his seat. The pen is no longer near his foot and the asdfghjkl equivalent to the most gorgeous living thing on earth smiles tightly at him, before scribbling something on a white sheet. Kyungsoo renders speechless, straightens up, and suavely strides on the aisle to where Sehun is already sitting right beside the window.

His ears are red and he thanks a lungful of air as he seems to get breathless.

"You look pale. Did you see a ghost on your way here?"

"Uh, maybe I did."

"You're weird. Why are you even late?" Sehun frowns at him, removing his earbuds and dumping it back to his bag.

"Woke up late obviously," subtly, he rivets his eyes two seats in-front where the ghost -ehem- not a ghost but someone who seem to catch his eyes is where sitting at.

"Kyungsoo are you even listening to me?" Sehun's hard whispered tone wakes up his senses and Kyungsoo getting caught, reddens and sports a poker face look.

"I'm sorry?" he says, nonchalant.

Sehun isn't dumb at all except maybe in History. He knows Kyungsoo very well and sometimes Kyungsoo hates Sehun for reading him well. Sehun moves closer and peruses his eyes to the front where Kyungsoo's looking at seconds later. Awkwardly, Kyungsoo takes a glimpse of this particular guy again and he didn't realize he's staring for long even if that guy's back is facing him, soft locks of jet black hair bouncing with his every move while laughing with his seatmate who he has taken note of having a noodle hair.

Who the would want to flaunt his noodle hair in school? It looks ridiculous.

Once he turns away, Sehun's amused face and know-it-all expression fills his sight and his eyes widens ten times bigger than normal size. "The Sehun!" he whacks the head of his bestfriend in no time and Sehun winces, nursing his head and hisses through gritted teeth, but chuckles in finality as he leans back to his seat.

"I'm not blind Kyungsoo. I know you're eyeing Kim Jongin."

Kyungsoo pretends to be disinterested, but his heated cheeks say otherwise. "Kim Jongin? The who is that?"

If only Kyungsoo could rip off Sehun's smirk on his face he has done it seconds ago. "The one you were staring at earlier. Do you think I didn't see that?" he chuckles and Kyungsoo wills himself to swallow the urge of punching his bestfriend square on the jaw. He's violent like that.

"I-I'm not staring on a stranger!" Kyungsoo crosses his arms, thick brows knitting and turning to the window to see buildings and establishments pass by.

"Kyungsoo it's time for you to have a real crush as in real who you could reach rather than crushing on Jo Insung and his scrawny stature." Sehun reasons, still amused from how his bestfriend had finally

"You're a horrible bestfriend. And don't put Jo Insung into this because he is an exception and you he is not scrawny. He is ing buff mind you."

"Whatever. But it's time to fish in the ocean." Sehun sing songs, winks and Kyungsoo couldn't laugh from the fact that Sehun said "fith", his lisp sounds funny, but not today, not when the boy is finding ways to with newfound information.

Kyungsoo covers his ears with his headphones and listens instead to some oldy songs of Beeges and Michael Learns to Rock, but from his periphery, he could still see him. He could still see his pretty eyes staring up at him, the cute slope of his nose; that cleft chin he has and that angular jawline that could cut an apple in nanoseconds.

 

Kim Jongin.

The name is stamped in his head.

Sehun is right. Maybe it's time to catch a big fish.

 

-*-

 

The sun is up high and Kyungsoo is soaked to the bones of sweat and renders him irritable and uncomfortable. Being hygienic, he doesn't let himself get sweaty all over, but it's happening and he just wants to stay in the bus and let the AC cool him. He hates the heat of the sun, the reason he would prefer autumn than summer. He hates winter too. He is fine with enough, but today is not a good day at all when he thought it will be.

"I'm hot." Sehun says right beside him as they are brushing paint over unused flat tires. The aim of their outreach that day is to make a playground for kids in an adopted community of their university.

Kyungsoo throws Sehun a hard look and his skin is flushed from the heat of the sun. It seems like he has a built blush on, on his porcelain body. "Excuse me you are not hot."

Sehun chuckles at him. "Maybe Jongin is hot you are blushing." he probes his tongue out. "Oops, I forgot you get easily red under the sun."

Speaking of Kim Jongin, the Adonis-like figure is only meters away from his front and this is the only reason he bears with the scorching sun to watch Jongin flex his muscles under that yellow shirt as he drills some flat tires with the noodle haired dude.

Kyungsoo takes note a lot of things about Kim Jongin. This is the list he has in mind;

  1. Jongin’s bronze skin is attractive under the sun. It seems to be gold in color for Kyungsoo. Tanned skin is y and it suits him better. He could be the cover model for Men’s Health magazine. That beauty is endearing, alluring like a gem out from a school of fish hauled by a net. He stands out from everyone.
  2. Girls are throwing him flirtatious smiles. Some girls from different classes are allured from his handsomeness, some girls doesn’t care, but heck half of the girls’ population has their hungry eyes directed to him as he does a heavy work, biceps showing. Too y. Too eye-catching. Girls are probably dreaming to have him as their boyfriend.
  3. Jongin’s smile is blinding. Yes it is. It’s dazzling. His pearly white teeth don’t help as well. The blinding light goes straight to his heart. His smile is definitely one of his best assets that anyone would die seeing. If this were an anime, girls and boy would definitely faint or have their noses bleed from too much brightness. Jongin effect.
  4. Lastly, it’s time to haul the most beautiful fish in the sea. Kyungsoo is victimized by the handsome, charismatic and walking model straight out from magazine (maybe) Kim Jongin.

He has a few in his list for now. Who knows next week there would be twenty and more?

A hard shove makes him fall from his and good heavens the paint is on the ground away from him or else he would be soaked by pink paint and embarrassed himself then and again to the other students around. And right in-front of Jongin.

Sehun is laughing at him and Kyungsoo isn’t happy at all. He is about to charge on his bestfriend, but settles on glaring at him instead as he helps himself up and continues on painting the tire with flowers and hearts.

“You know what? If you keep staring at him, nothing will change. How about you carry your over him and ask for his number then bingo!” he cackles teasingly and Kyungsoo hisses at him through his teeth.

“ you, okay? you.” He backfires with a bite, before garnering his attention back to his half painted flat tire.

Carefully, he still watches Jongin through his lashes and wishes that Sehun will not catch him staring again though it’s impossible knowing that Sehun is a good observant.

Jongin is laughing with the noodle haired guy and they even high fived as they probably finished doing their part. They soon walk towards a hut standing right beside a tree and take a swig of their water. Without knowing, Kyungsoo’s head is already transfixed to the duo and Sehun is laughing once again right beside him.

“You got it bad Kyungsoo. This is news. Do Kyungsoo crushing on basketball team’s point guard Kim Jongin.”

“Lower your voice Oh Sehun!” he whisper shouts and a girl near them gives them irking glances.

“So you admitted it.” Flushed, Kyungsoo is about to push Sehun off but stops as he finds him inputting something on his phone, before giving him a wink. “Sent!” he waves his phone to Kyungsoo and not wanting to cause a scene, Kyungsoo surrenders and goes back on finishing his work. They still have five more flat tires to paint.

What he has done in his past life to deserve a bestfriend like Oh ing Sehun?

-*-

The playground made by the students on the vacant space earlier in the middle of the row houses surrounding it is almost done. But not yet complete. The next batch of students the next day would be the ones who will complete the work and so the children living there in the neighbourhood would be able to use it the day after tomorrow.

They ate lunch first in a vacant house from the corner. Kyungsoo packed two lunch boxes for him and Sehun, but he has second thoughts if he should give it or not. Not giving it is a better option; it will be his revengeful way to punish the younger from teasing him since early in the morning. Yet, in the end, since he is a loving bestfriend (satanic inside) he gives the lunchbox to him half-heartedly. They eat together with the other students and some of their classmates, but to his dismay, Jongin isn’t there with his friend only to find him outside drinking a can of soda while munching a sandwich with his friend. Not paying attention to the boy, to his crush, he turns to Sehun who is happily eating his homemade omelette and talks to him about their homework in Zoology. Right after, they are ordered to pack up and to change their clothes. Kyungsoo would still look for Jongin around, but the boy is harder to find than earlier. Sighing, he finishes on refreshing himself after carrying buckets of paints back to the  After they have done everything that has to be done; everyone is called to gather right in-front of the straw hut where their proctor Mr. Lee and Mrs. Choi is to discuss a lecture they had prepared for their students.

Right after the discussion about teamwork, Mr. Choi asked everyone to group themselves into seven. And as usual, anti-social Do Kyungsoo sticks with Sehun and gets dragged to group with students whom they didn’t know that well.

Thankfully, Sehun didn’t choose Jongin’s group or else he would embarrass himself in-front of the handsome boy.

“On those manila papers you’ll get, draw what you think symbolizes teamwork and later on we will have a group sharing for this. Please assign your group reporter now.” Mr. Choi announces when suddenly Sehun blurts out to the group.

“Kyungsoo here will report! He’s a good reporter!”

“What the hell are you talking about Sehun?” Kyungsoo grits his teeth at him, but Sehun only smirks at him.

“You’ll just explain what the drawing is. It’s not that hard Kyung.” Sehun pokes out his tongue at him, but Kyungsoo is cursing him in his head because he hates sharing like this in-front of many people he doesn’t even know well.

“You can do it. We’ll help you.” A student whom Kyungsoo haven’t met yet in campus tells him and he sighs because what can he do? He’s assigned to be the reporter now and all he has to do is save himself from embarrassing himself because –coughs- the pretty boy will be there to listen to him.

After several minutes, the group is done with coloring the drawing they had Kyungsoo draw on the manila paper. Yes, they had him drew it. They had him drew a pack of wolves and boy it was hard, but Kyungsoo was able to finish it.

Stealing a glance of Jongin from the other group by his left, Kyungsoo catches the boy pouting and, “.” He mumbles and unfortunately Sehun hears.

“ what? Get ready to explain that pack of wolves dude. And—“ he pauses and whispers, “Get ready to have Jongin to listen to you.”

Time like this is when Kyungsoo really wants to break Sehun’s limbs into two and feed them to sharks in Atlantic Ocean.

“Alright guys finish or not let’s start.” Mr. Choi says and everybody stays glued on the floor, sitting. “Any volunteer?” Nobody volunteers. “Let’s start with group one then.”

And the groups start sharing their drawings and explanations about their symbol of teamwork.

Yet, Kyungsoo isn’t listening. He keeps on memorizing the lines his groupmates told him what to say in-front and he’s really distracted because he can’t keep his eyes off Jongin.

Gladly, Jongin didn’t speak in-front.

His soul is saved.

But not yet entirely because right after two groups, their group is called and Kyungsoo waddles to the front like a penguin.

Everyone is silent and—

Holy MOTHER OF WHERE IS KIM JONGIN?

Should he be happy or sad that Jongin has disappeared? But he should be right? So if ever he stutters or does something embarrassing in-front, at least Jongin will not be able to witness it.

“You should start now ah—“ Mr. Choi raises a brow. He is asking for his name but Kyungsoo doesn’t say his name and proceeds to explain their drawing.

He stutters. “T-The symbol w-we drew uhm,” he unfolds the manila paper and shows it to everyone. “Is this. A pack of wolves. W-Why?”

Most of the students are in awe of the drawing.

“B-Because—“ he keeps on looking on Jongin’s direction but the boy is still not there.

“B-Because a pack of wolves is like a society where teamwork, loyalty and communication are the norm rather than the exception and that is what teamwork for us.”

Everyone clapped right after and Kyungsoo goes back to Sehun’s side who claps his back and grins. “You did well. Is it because Jongin isn’t there?”

Kyungsoo heaves a sigh of relief, but at the back of his head, he wishes Jongin was there to watch him.

Jongin returns to his group with a can of soda in hand and Mr.Choi wraps up the lecture and tells everyone to make sure they didn’t leave anything valuable before going back to the bus and leave.

Once everyone is inside the bus, Kyungsoo sits beside the window and leans on it. He didn’t take a glance once again to Jongin because he’s tired and wants some sleep on their journey to home. So Kyungsoo sleeps with Sehun and he dreams about a boy with tanned skin and gorgeous smile.

 

a/n: whooo chapter 1 is up! two more chaps to go or maybe three? depends~