final

parenting

Minho frowned half asleep as he felt the loss of warmth beside him in the bed. He thought Taemin may fell down again- Taemin had such a bad sleeping habits, Minho only could thank that he stopped kicking the elder while asleep- but as he sat up, he found no messy blonde head on the floor. Minho sighed as he got up from the bed. He could have try to sleep but if there's no Taemin, there's no sleep for Minho. If the blonde's minty scent doesn't lingering in his nose, he can't fall asleep. So he tried to search for the boy.

He checked every room they had in the queue how often Taemin goes there in the middle of the night. Bathroom? No. Kitchen? No. Balcony? No. Living room? No. There was no sigh of Taemin. He wondered if Taemin felt like walking again and left, when he heard a quiet sigh from the only room he forgot to check because it was only occupied for a half day ago. The baby's room.

Minho smiled of the thought that they became parents only a day ago. They adopted an one week old baby girl, named Haeun yesterday. They waited for a baby since last year and yesterday they just a phone call that said they have to go to the hospital to decide about the baby. When they stepped in and the nurses showed them Haeun they immediately knew the answer. Yes.

Minho stepped into their baby's room and saw a frowning Taemin kneeling next to the crib where Haeun slept peacefully. The blonde's eyes were focused on the baby so he didn't notice when Minho came in.

"What's wrong?" Minho whispered and Taemin winced in surprise.

"I'm afraid." Taemin murmured back, eyes never leaving the sleeping baby. Minho kneeled next to Taemin and leaned his head on the boy's shoulder.

"From what?" Minho was surprised. His lover was never someone who gets scared easily.

"That she stops breathing. It can happen, you know!" he explained with eyes wide open- despite his oblivious tiredness- and Minho had to stop himself from kissing him. " She should be wide awake now and should cry for milk."

Moments passed as Taemin himself realized what he was talking about.

"God, what time it is?" the blonde didn't wait until Minho could answer- not like he would give a normal answer, he would say something cheesy like 'kisses time'- he fished out his phone from his robe and gasped. "Oh my, it's been five hours since she last eat! She should eat every three hours! Minho, why are you smiling?! We're starving her!"

Before Taemin could get a panic attack- what was quite close- Minho took the blonde's head in his hands and leaned closer to him until their foreheads touched.

"Calm down Taemin." Minho said slowly, trying to repress his growing smile because of Taemin's over protectiveness. "She's just a quiet baby, that's all. She'll eat when she feels like- she'll wake us up if she's hungry, you can be sure."

Minho stood up and pulled Taemin with him, who was pouting.

"You're such a great dad." he said in a small voice. "And I'm just a-"

"You're too." Minho interrupted Taemin before he could say something bad about himself. "You're just protective. I grew up with seven baby cousins. I learned things." Minho's smile grew wider as he saw Taemin smiling too.

"Thanks Minho."

"Now, come before you wake her up."

 

 

 

In the next two days, Minho noticed something. Taemin never carries Haeun. Of course, he holds her- extra carefully- but never carry her anywhere. 

So one day, Minho just put Haeun into Taemin's hands without warning.

"No, no, no! Take her back!" Taemin panicked- he often did it since they arrived home with their baby girl- and tried to give her back to Minho. The elder just stepped away with a questioning gaze.

"Why?"

"I'm scared, I might drop her accidentally. Or grip her harder than I should. Or tripping while I carry her. She's so tiny and fragile!" he stopped and looked at Minho with pleading eyes. "Please Minho, I'm a walking disaster. I don't want to hurt her."

"I'll show you how to hold her." Minho said and before Taemin would have protest against it, he stood behind the blonde and helped holding the baby. "If you hold her like this, she won't get hurt."

Minho chuckled as he felt his lover's face getting hotter and he wondered how that can be that even after seven years of being together, they still have the same effect on each other. He still finds Tamin utterly adorable even though he matured so much since the passed years and Taemin still blushes when Minho says something cheesy or being intimate.

Minho felt Taemin leaning into his hug and rest his head on the other's shoulder.

"We can stay like this for a while."

 

 

 

Haeun is four and transformed from a quiet baby girl to a blabbering one. She spoke too much and too freely, not like Taemin and Minho would love her less just because of it.

"I'm home!" Taemin yelled as he stepped in but didn't hear the little stamping of feet coming his way along with a bigger one, both of them excitedly asking if he brought ice cream or not. There were habits that Haeun picked up way too easily.

On the other hand, he heard a high pitched whispering- well, she tried to whisper but it came out like speaking with too much air- calling for him.

"Papa, papa!" Taemin smiled and walked towards the source of the voice what came from their shared bedroom.

He had to hold back his laughter as he saw a passed out Minho holding Haeun in a bone crushing hug. The little girl was suffocating and wore a pissed expression. 

"Papa, help me!" so Taemin helped her getting out from her daddy's hug.

"What happened, princess?"

"I was watching some cartoons when daddy laid down next to me and-" she stopped, eyes wide open- Minho said she learnt that from Taemin- and the blonde couldn't stop admiring the way she spoke. She spoke crystal clear and knew lots of words despite her age. Now she pinched her nose. "Papa, you smell!"

Taemin could understand her, he was stinking. He just had a dance practice and didn't have time to shower. He evilly smiled at her. Haeun blinked rapidly, asking with her eyes that 'Papa don't!' because she knew exactly what will happen. She was right, though.

Because Papa was always in games with her. Sometimes Daddy had to scold them to being so wild while playing. Especially when they okay that Haeun is the little airplane and they're in a storm. Usually then Daddy says,

"I should never help you learn carry her." and Haeun never understand what they were talking about.

Taemin puts on a smile as he jumped on their little princess- carefully, not to hurt her. Haeun started wiggling and whining that made Minho wake up. He silently watched the comical scene in front of him.

"Are you happy that I'm home?" Taemin asked the baby- she'll forever be a baby for them, she could be twenty, they would still call her baby or princess. She grumpily looked at Taemin and ironically said- where did she learn that?-

"Very much."

As Minho saw Taemin pouting like he was the youngest out of the three of them, he burst into laughter. It took Taemin in surprise so he lightened on the grip on their princess' little body- so she took her chance and ran into her room- and looked at Minho who watched him with such an adoration.

"I'm home." Taemin whispered, token aback from the gaze he got from his lover's eyes.

"Welcome home."

 

 

 

"I don't think she's old enough." Minho tried to be reasonable but he couldn't when his head was full of signs telling him to don't let her go. Haeun is ten and going to attend to the first party- in fact it was all about eating chips and playing video games but Minho kept ignoring it- with boys around. It was just a big no, no for Minho.

"Don't be like this. She's ten already. Also, I already brought the presents." Taemin said as he took out a dress for Haeun.

"What is this?!" Minho almost yelled. "It's too short! I'm too young to be a grandfather!"

Taemin sighed as listening the rants Minho made about their little princess growing up so quickly and how he wasn't ready for this. As the black haired younger- he changed his hair colour a lot then now he stayed in his natural colour because Minho said it suit him the best- listened to his lover, he came to realize how long they  have been together. It's been 17 years since they got together- Taemin was barely 15 back then, Minho only two years older. He hadn't known any other love just this one. And he was happy like this even if there were things they had conflict over but they always worked out together. That was how they managed to be together for such a long time. And how they managed to raise such a pretty and clever girl they had. 

"Minho, when was the last time we were alone?" Taemin asked, giving Minho suggesting eyes. It's been a while since they have been alone- their little bubble of joy kept all of their attention, time and energy to herself- and Taemin craved for attention from Minho.

Minho looked like he was in trouble deciding on being his overprotective self- as time goes by, tables turned and he became the overprotective one instead of Taemin who was the more laid back now- or giving in. He bit down on his lips as he traveled his eyes on his lover's form.

"Never mind. Send her to that party."

Out of the blue, Haeun ran out from her room all smiles and sunshine- she remembered Minho to Taemin even the two didn't have blood connection- and hugged both of them. Minho felt nice, their little family always made him happy. The girl turned to Taemin as she said grinning,

"Good job Papa! I told you it'll work." she ran away as she said it aloud, smirking at his daddy who slowly worked up on the new heard information.

"Hey! You betrayed me!" Minho pouted, then turned to the door where their girl ran and walked toward it while yelling."And you! Don't think you can go anywhere!"

Taemin watched them with a small smile playing on his lips and he was sure that was what true happiness meant.