Chapter 1

Royal Decree

  The tale of Cinderella was no stranger to anyone, especially not to him. In fact, the tale itself was the one reason he clung on to the idea of hope. The idea of a happy ending even with everything going back in his village. The simple story of a Prince charmed by a young girl he met at a masquerade and inevitably saved her from her wicked step family, gave not only him but many others hope to a happy ending.

  A happy ending that could apparently only be achieved with the presence of a Prince. Jinyoung was skeptic at the mere statement in the beginning. But hearing tale after tale ranging from Sleeping Beauty to Rapunzel, it was the only conclusion he could draw up. Each and every tale told the readers how the main character found a Prince to take them to their happy ending.
 
  That, and the presence of magical assistance. It wasn't something Jinyoung was really concerned about seeing that he, himself, possessed some magical traits. He just needed someone to help him hone it better. Which was one of the main reasons why he chose the Ahgase Kingdom, home to the tale of Cinderella and better yet, her Fairy God Mother. The one person who could help him win over the Prince.
 
  Knowing that both her and the Prince might be able to help him, kept Jinyoung going even though his horse was already tired by then and his feet were aching from their long journey. Their supplies were running out, and the last stream they came across was over hours ago, and it seemed the next will be hours later. Everything looked the same in the woods with the trees growing tall and close together, letting little sunlight through that it was hard to tell how far they had actually traveled - or whether they had simply went around in circles.
 
  A far cry caught Jinyoung's attention. Mounting his horse, he followed the direction of the cry which led him to a few burly men crowding around a small figure. Even from behind they looked familiar. He stopped just a bit farther away, and rummaged through his bag. His hand closed around a rolled up paper, which turned out to be a poster with drawings of the burly men and in bright red, WANTED underneath. He could tell they were the same men when one of them stood up and said something in his gruff voice that Jinyoung couldn't make out.
 
  Just above their heads, Jinyoung could make out the blue skies and sunlight in between the branches. He glanced at the feet of the men, where the ground were uneven due to twigs and stones, but mostly due to the tree's large roots running underground. An idea formed in his head, as he pulled up his hood letting it cast a shadow over his face.
 
***
 
  "What you got there?" the largest of the two ask, grabbing the basket from the frightened little male and turned it over.
 
  "Gold maybe?" the one with glass eye asked, watching eagerly as apples, red and blue berries tumbled out along with a nicely wrapped cinnamon bun. He immediately grabbed the bun and scoffed it down in one go.
 
  "That was mine," the young servant whimpered, helplessly.
 
  The last of the thugs ignored him, in favor of stomping the fruits with his large foot, silently wondering if it was possible to hide jewels amongst the fruits. The servant cowered under his glare, when he found nothing, fear heightened by the scar jagged across the thug's face.
 
  "Not much for the King's man," he said, kicking the basket. "Now, tell me-"
 
  "Hey," the largest of them said, shoving Glass Eye to the side. Glass Eye stumbled, confused, before retaliating just as hard, maybe harder. Though they both stopped as soon as their presumed leader shot them a withering glare.
 
  He turned back to the frightened servant, "Now where wa-"
 
  Thud.
 
  For a moment it was like time froze, silence throughout the forest saved for the sounds of birds up in the air, hidden in the trees. The two thugs' eyes had widened in shock as a particularly large stone hit their leader's head quite hard before bouncing off to the ground. They both quickly shook their heads when he turned with a frightfully angry look on him.
 
  "I-it wasn't us," Glass Eye stammered out, taking a step back in fear. He had lost one eye, he'd rather not lose another.
 
  "Maybe a bird dropped it," his larger friend suggested. "Or a hale is coming, or or-"
 
  "A bird dropped it, aye?" Their leader said, a sickening smile painted his face, as if he was actually considering it. The other two thugs were quick to agree, nodding in relief all the while eyeing each other suspiciously. It was shortlived as the leader knocked their heads together producing a sickening sound. They groaned in pain and stumbled, each rubbing their own head.
 
  "Bah, a couple of dunderheads," he barely finished the sentence when a large branch flew straight at him, hitting him square in the face.
 
  None of them was quick to recover before they found themselves pelted by stones and twigs. The thugs quickle made their escape, trying to run off as fast as their legs could carry them. In their haste, they had forgotten the servant earlier. Watching the thugs argue, the servant had snuck off, and hid behind one of the larger trees just as the attack of twigs and stones began. He grabbed the basket, and put it over his head as protection, trying to get up to run. He'd rather not face the being behind the magic. But luck was not on his side as he found himself tripping over his own feet after a few steps. The stick and stones had stopped, but he could hear footsteps coming closer.
 
  Please, please don't hurt him. He's nothing but a Cook's servant here to run an errand. He only came to pick up the berries, not to be picked on by others. Please, please, someone, anyone, from the heavens protect him. He is simply a young lad working for his family. He promised them he'd come back. In fact, he still had promises he had yet to keep. He promised his sister he'd come back with a handmade flower crown. If this was a punishment for the little white lie, Youngjae would like to point out, he didn't really want to but he doesn't know how to make a flower crown, and Jimin does it so much better than he ever will, and -
 
  "Are you okay?"
 
  He jumped at the touch as if it was burning hot, "Please don't hurt me. I've got nothing. They already ate my bread and-"
 
  "Calm down, I'm not here to hurt you. Here," and the stranger pulled the basket off his head. Youngjae found the stranger's face smiling down at him as he offered his hand. Suspicious, he gently took the offer of being pulled up to his feet. The stranger was still smling though gentler as he saw the hesitation in the younger's eyes.
 
  "I'm Jinyoung, a man who lost his home and is hoping to look for another," he introduced himself to the dusty hair servant who still refused to meet his eyes properly. Sighing, he helped brush off the dirt and soil from the younger's pants.
 
  "You left out wizzard and willing to terrorize people you barely know to do so," Jinyoung heard the servant muttered under his breath. His smile fell, as he realized he might have overdone with the whole magic thing a while ago. Even if his intentions were good, to an outsider, he was merely attacking.
 
  "If I wanted you dead, I would've simply killed you earlier," he said in a tone that startled the servant. The smile that followed was unerving for the younger. "Since I gave you my name, it's only right for me to know yours."
 
  "Um, Youngjae, Choi Youngjae."
 
  Jinyoung smiled, satisfied, even if his insides curled at the thought that Youngjae gave his name simply in fear.
 
***
 
  Youngjae didn't know how or what possessed him to do so, but he found himself leading the stranger back to the castle. Maybe it was while they were looking for more berries in place of the stomped ones or the trip to the market. But he soon found himself enjoying the company of the wizard called Jinyoung. Jinyoung was clearly new to the area and very eager to learn his way around. He even shared his last homemade sandwich with Youngjae which the younger was grateful for as he was really hungry and quite upset when he lost his cinnamon bun.
 
  They had reached the castle which left Jinyoung both breatheless and speechless. His eyes took in the spires, the watch towers that were guarded, the high walls that kept out threats. He was throughly fascinated when the bridge was drawn to help them cross the moat. The castle was like every story ever told and more. Through the door bridge, there was a path up to the main entry while a vast green landscape canvased the area. At the sight, Jinyoung found himself eagerly walking towards the entrance - possibly towards the one person that could help him.
 
  "Where are you going?" Youngjae's voice snapped him out of his reverie, and he found himself dragged away from the main entry and around to the back entry, where the smell was less pleasing and much noisier. "We can't go in through the front, that's where the royal family and their royal guests go through. Even the guards have to go through another entry."
 
  Like many other places Jinyoung has been to, the back of the castle is less appealing than the front. There were clothes hung on handmade rails. A farm of animals only a mile away. Piles of rubbish just waiting to be thrown out. Appalled by the scent it released, Jinyoung instinctively snapped it all away. Maids and servants run in and out of the entry holding many things at once. Jinyoung followed Youngjae as he was led inside, through the kitchen where the smell of food being cooked had him drooling and up the stairway where clanking sounds are louder. 
 
  Jinyoung didn't get much time to get a proper look around the castle before Youngjae led him to what he assumed was part of the bailey and where the knights trained. He could already see two men in their suits fighting each other, swords meeting one another just as it was about to poke through their armor. They broke apart, eyes still trained on each other, waiting for the other to strike, watching for any telltale hints on their next move. The taller one of the two swung his sword, just as the other turned.
 
  "Jinyoung!"
 
  Jinyoung realized he must have been so absorbed in their fight that he hadn't realized he had lost Youngjae. Youngjae waved him over to where he stood with a man struggling to hold on to a lot of weapons and equipments at once. Jinyoung threw a glance back to see one of the knights lying on the ground while the other had their sword pointed straight at their throat.
  
  Jinyoung jogged over to Youngjae who was trying to help the blonde man hold on to the equipments. The man, he noticed, seemed to be much younger than Jinyoung. Maybe a bit too young to hold that many maces and flail all at once. He could hurt himself, Jinyoung silently thought.
 
  "Jinyoung, this is Yugyeom," Youngjae introduced, taking the flail from the younger to let them both shake hands.
 
  "Nice to meet you," Yugyeom said, smiling shyly. "If only we met under better circumstances."
 
  Jinyoung smiled back politely, ignoring the last comment, "Are you here to train as well?"
 
  "Me? No, no, I'm just a servant. All these," he said, nodding to the weapons. "Just needed polishing which is the only reason I'm holding them."
 
  "Jinyoung's here looking to see if there was any jobs he could do while he's staying here," Youngjae told him. "I figured if there was any, you'd know about it."
 
  "Depending on what type you're looking for," Yugyeom said, tilting his head in consideration. "Junho hyung and Wooyoung hyung is always looking for someone to practise on. But I don't think you'll enjoy having a new bruise everyday."
 
  "Practise on?" Jinyoung inquired.
 
  "Sir Junho and Sir Wooyoung," Youngjae corrected, shooting a glance at the younger. "They're always practising how to fight together and all, but lately they've been cooped up in their room. They're asking around for someone to help them with something, but never really said what. The only thing we know is that every servant who volunteered and quit was banished from the castle, and those who did, always comes out with more bruises on them."
 
  "Some say they're practising dark magic," Yugyeom added.
 
  "Erm, anything else?" Jinyoung asked, not liking the idea of being caught in the middle of black magic, even if they might just be rumors.
 
  "Well, the Queen is looking for a new lady's maid but you're clearly not qualified for the job," Yugyeom told him, giving him a once over. "What about the cook? I heard she was looking for an assisstant."
 
  "That's why she took Jimin in remember?" Youngjae reminded him. "Plus, with me around, she doesn't really need another one."
 
  Jinyoung sighed, wondering if there was even a chance for him to stay at the castle for a while. He didn't need long, maybe a few weeks or months just enough time to convince the Prince to help him. "Aren't there small jobs around I could do? It doesn't have to be a specific role. I could just help whoever needs it."
 
  "Well, there is the job of the messenger," Youngjae said, chancing a glance at Yugyeom. "Since I'm also helping the cook, I won't have time to do the work properly."
 
  "The messenger?" Jinyoung asked, considering it. It won't be so bad, he will simply be delivering messages. In fact, it'll give him plenty of opportunities to look around the village. "Well, I already have a horse so it won't be a problem when I need to travel."
 
  "Not the royal messenger," Yugyeom said, shaking his head. "The castle's messenger. You deliver private notes between the royal family and their guests - if they're around."
 
  "It's usually a maid's job. But the maids have a habit of gossiping too much, so they can't really be trusted," Yugyeom added.
 
  "I'll do it!" Jinyoung said, the castle's messenger. It's a golder opportunity served on a silver platter. "Just- how do I start?"
 
  The two servants shifted their eyes uneasily. He was about to ask, when Yugyeom looked away, spotting one of the knights earlier coming towards them. He had taken his helmet off, giving them a view of a handsome pale face with dark black hair tousled and slightly damp from being under the heat too long. Jinyoung forced himself to turn away, when the knight got closer. He noticed how Youngjae automatically bowed to him in a polite manner while Yugyeom just took the helmet handed to him, despite the fact that his hands were still full.
 
  "Hello, who's this?" the knight asked, eyeing him curiously. "Friend of yours?"
 
  "Jinyoung," he introduced himself, watching as the knight passed his gloves and sword to the truggling servant. "I think you should start holding some of your own stuff. Yugyeom can't hold all of it."
 
  From the corner of his eyes, Jinyoung could see Youngjae shooting him nervous glances. But the excitement of the trip was dissipating, slowly taken over by the fatigue of travelling for days. He tried to keep up a polite smile, not wanting to offend someone who might be his future employer.
 
  The knight raised an eyebrow at the statement, the corner of his lips twitching, "He's hired to do so, just like how he's hired to polish them all afterwards, and bring me my dinner later."
 
  "Yes sir," Yugyeom said, shifting the weapons from one side to the other, trying to find balance. Youngjae subtly went to his side and started to help him.
 
  "Stop acting like you're the Prince and start holding your own sword," Jinyoung snapped at him, uncharacteristicly. He must be even more tired than he predicted earlier, to start attacking a stranger. "You're just a knight after all."
 
  "Actually-"
 
  "You're right, I'm just a knight. Sir Im Jaebum," he cuts in, not bothering to hide his amused smile as he gave a mocking bow. "At your service, whenever needed."
 
  Jinyoung narrowed his eyes at him, rather tempted to give him a taste of a whipping spell he learned.
 
***
Poster above by allyouneedislove from Paper Heart // Graphic Shop