Stormy Night

Crossfire

Chapter One

Stormy Night

           

            To this day, Junho was still unsure why Jaebum had chosen his and Junsu’s house of all the houses in Devndoore to knock upon. He supposed it was fate, if he even believed in such things, which had brought the strange foreigner who barely spoke their language and looked as if he had just crawled out from the wildness to the only door that would ever welcome him. Bless his older brother’s sweet, humanitarian heart; Junsu held none of the belief in superstitions that the rest of the villagers had.

           

            That was five years ago and now Junho couldn’t help but smile as he listened to Jaebum tell his blond haired caller off rather fluently from the other side of the room. The sound of rain pouring down around them pattered against the rooftop and made Junho thankful he was snuggled up against Junsu on their loveseat enjoying the warmth. They shared a blanket between them and Junsu pretended not to notice when Junho would jump every time a loud clap of thunder sounded, something which made Junho very thankful.

           

            “You’re sure lucky it’s storming right now Nichkhun or I’d so toss you out there right on your . Why are you here bothering Junho all the time? Don’t you have other victims to try and woo? So annoying.” Jaebum grumped, but not really, since Junho could tell he was really enjoying Nichkhun’s company as he leaned the upper part of his body sideways in a kind of half-sprawl on top of the table they sat at. The two of them were engrossed in a game of cards together despite the little light provided by a few sparse candles. Jaebum narrowed his eyes as he carefully scanned his deck, calculating his next move, before eventually throwing a card out onto the table. A surefire win, he thought so anyway. Nichkhun placed another card atop it almost instantly and scooped it up, smile never leaving his face the entire time as Jaebum fixed him with a sour look.

           

            “Because I like Junho the most out of everyone, isn’t it obvious?” Nichkhun replied smoothly, sending a wink over in Junho’s way. A familiar gesture that made the younger man roll his eyes.

           

            “Save it lover boy-” Junho started to tell him, but whatever else he was about to say was abruptly cut off when a loud crash of thunder shook the house at its very foundation. Junho let out an undignified squeak and ducked under his blanket out of instinct. There was silence as the candle flames around them flickered, mercifully staying lit, and then Jaebum snickered.

           

            “You okay? You didn’t pee yourself did you?” He asked in Junho’s direction. Junho felt his face burn at Jaebum’s bluntness and he wanted to stay hidden out of embarrassment. However, with a composed, nonchalant façade in place he forced himself to pull the blanket back down.

           

            “It just surprised me is all, shut up Jae.” He shot back and silently cursed the older man’s knowing smile. He could just see the witty comment forming on Jaebum’s tongue, but it was Nichkhun who spoke instead, stealing the moment away.

           

            “Junho, are you scared of storms?” He asked with a wide eyed look. “You have been rather tame tonight…” Junho was caught off guard for a moment, but he quickly regained composure. There was no way he could tell the truth, besides he had astraphobia, so it wasn’t exactly lyingwhen he denied it. Not exactly, but close to it.

           

            “Are you crazy?” He scoffed, feeling the fabric of the blanket soft and comforting against his skin as he pressed deeper into his brother’s side. “I mean…storms…they’re totally good for the crops.” He decided after a moment. Jaebum shook his head and used a hand to way the statement away as soon as it left his lips.

           

            “Scared? Nah man, he’s down right terrified of them!” He corrected with a grin. “He’s such a baby, right?” He gave Nichkhun a conspiratorial look. Junho growled and detached himself from Junsu’s side just so he could find something to throw at his annoying friend.

           

            “Jaebum, you -” He ground out; he could feel Nichkhun’s eyes on him assessing him in a new light now and it made him uncomfortable.    

           

            “What? Just settin’ it straight.” The foreigner rattled off with a grin.

           

            “Hey guys.” Junsu’s voice suddenly rang out surprising them all; Junho paused with book mid-toss to send his brother a confused look. “Are we really doing this? This mission for the King, I mean.” Junsu clarified and, being resident peacemaker of the group, he gently removed the book from Junho’s hand, setting it down off to the side where it wouldn’t be able to crack a giant hole through Jaebum’s skull. Jaebum stuck out his tongue and Junho pouted at him but quickly deflated when Junsu ruffled his hair, distracting him. “I mean, none of us has ever even seen an Elemental before—not even you Jaebum—and your father devoted his life to studying them-”

 

            “Of course we are.” Jaebum scoffed without hesitation. “We’re going to destroy every last one of those Elemental bastards.” He growled, his jaw unconsciously clenching tighter as his grip on the cards shook, the other three sent him uneasy looks. Jaebum always seemed to become somewhat unstable whenever the Elementals were mentioned—it was understandable though given the way his father was killed. Junho reached over and laid a gentle hand on him to stop his shaking and Jaebum blinked, as if coming back from a distant thought, and his eyes focused. He shared a look with Junho before fading back into an easygoing smile and Junho sighed, grateful.

 

            “Well…we need the money, hyung.” Junho said, turning back to his brother. It was true that if they completed this mission they would be set for life and even have a place in the King’s palace. It would be like living a dream and that meant a lot to both of them since they came from a poor background. “Besides, I hear the Elementals have already arrived and are waiting in the castle for us—we can’t back out now and we’ll finally get a chance to see one.” He continued trying to send his most comforting smile to Junsu.         

 

            “Right…” Junsu mumbled, wrapping an arm around Junho’s shoulder and pulling him close. “I just don’t like putting you in this type of dangerous situation. I still think this is a mistake.” The younger boy complied with a small smile, snuggling into his brother happily. Jaebum snorted at them and rolled his eyes.

 

            “Ugh, spare me you two—I think I’m going to be sick just watching you—Junsu, Junho’s not a baby anymore. I’m sure he can hold his own.” He said and Junsu frowned, he seized the chance to rest his chin atop Junho’s head, looking much like the overprotective brother that he prided himself to be.

 

            “That’s debatable.” Junsu countered and Junho frowned from his spot in his lap.

 

            “Hey!” He hissed planting a hand firmly onto his hip in challenge. “I can hold my own!” He growled and Junsu sent him a sheepish smile, but made no indication of taking his words back. He wound his arms around Junho’s middle instead, trapping him there tightly, and hopefully deflating his temper a bit.

 

            “Right, so every time lightning flashes outside you aren’t shaking scared?” He asked and Junho’s face flushed red hot at the betrayal, he sent Junsu a scandalized look. Junsu just remained silent smiling at him and Junho’s mouth clamped shut as he scowled daggers. “Sorry Junho, but it’s the truth. You’re still my baby brother until you can get over that fear of yours.” Junsu told him after a moment while leaning their heads together. If it was supposed to be an apology it just aggravated Junho more.

 

            “Jerk.” He spat, Junsu just grinned. Jaebum sent them both a defeated look and sighed.

 

            “Okay, I’m hitting the bed now before I catch whatever the hell you two have that make you act so…whatever the hell. Gotta be rested for tomorrow anyway.” He said throwing his deck of cards face up on the table in front of Nichkhun. The other man blinked at him as he retreated back into one of the bedrooms and abruptly ended their game. Jaebum might have come out with his first win if he’d have kept going. Nichkhun sighed and turned his eyes to the rain pattered window, now bored, and stared outside at the gloomy sky.

 

            “This weather is really unfortunate though—I wonder if we’ll be able to sleep through it. Isn’t the thunder louder than usual tonight?” Nichkhun asked looking over at the two brothers huddled together. Junho sent him a rueful smile.

 

            “Tell me about it.” He grumbled and Nichkhun chuckled.

 

            “I’ll let you sleep with me if you want—that way you won’t be so scared.” He said with a wag of his eyebrows, Junho scowled at him and made a face.

 

            “No thanks.”

 

            “I think that would be a great idea.” Junsu announced with a grin, Junho sputtered before looking up at his brother in confusion. Junsu stared back at him a little too innocently and Nichkhun tilted his head looking much like a confused puppy.

 

            “Really?” The other man asked, his bushy eyebrows rising. Junho shook his head at him.

 

            “Excuse me?” He demanded narrowing his eyes back at his brother. The lightning crack was enough wounding to his pride for the night, his love life was off limits, Junsu knew that and had better not think he was getting away with any more than that.

 

            “Well, if you stay here with us we can all leave together in the morning and Junho is the only one with a bed big enough for two.” Junsu laughed.

 

            “Oh.” Junho looked uneasily at Nichkhun whose grin had expanded to stretch his face to its limits.

 

            “That would be wonderful. I like this idea.” Nichkhun chirped happily. Junho wasn’t so sure.

 

♦ || ∞ || ♦ || ∞ || ♦

 

            Chansung concentrated and flashes of white lit up the sky, his eyes crinkled in delight and he let out a laugh unlike anything Wooyoung had heard from him in a very long time. He looked just like a kid.

 

            “Channie, what are you doing?” He chuckled walking over to where his young friend stood on the palace balcony, the chilly night air mussing his hair up in every direction. “You know, the humans normally sleep at this time, you should be quieter.”

 

            “Ah, Hyung—I can’t help it. It’s been so long. I just want to tear the sky apart.” Chansung replied, long arms latching onto him as soon as Wooyoung came close enough. His friend was so clingy, not that Wooyoung really minded, he let himself be pulled into the embrace with a small chuckle. An ear-splitting crack of thunder erupted soon after and Wooyoung smiled wryly before flicking Chansung’s forehead.

 

            “Hey dummy, split the sky and all of us will die.” Wooyoung chided and Chansung laughed, it was loud and addictive, Wooyoung soon found his own chest rumbling. They stood laughing like fools for a moment before they finally diminished into sporadic giggles and then they were able to catch their breaths again. Chansung was the first to speak.

 

            “Use your powers. I wanna see them.” Chansung said fixing him with an intent look. Wooyoung had been dodgy ever since they were released from holding for some unknown reason. Wooyoung’s laughter quickly faded and returned the look nervously. They both knew it was a sore subject. Wooyoung eventually had to look away.

 

            “I’m…going to save all my strength for tomorrow.” He answered forcing a smile. Chansung frowned, but let him pull away with a sigh, not wanting to push the issue too far.

 

            “Ok…I guess I should do that too. Is Taecyeon-hyung back now?” Chansung craned his neck backward toward their room instead and Wooyoung was grateful for the subject change. The storm around them continued still, but the lightning lulled in its ferocity as Chansung’s attention focused elsewhere. If anything it became more peaceful.

 

            “Oh him? Yeah, that’s what I came out here to tell you actually.” Wooyoung said nodding. “He wants to brief us on the mission so let’s head in.”

 

            Tomorrow was going to be a busy day for all of them.