001

Where It All Began

The title of this fanfic is inspired by this duo's album title. It's a great album and you guys should listen to it if you have the time. ;) This is one of the songs in the album.

Dan+Shay 19 You + Me.

 

 

Jinwoo was tying his blue tie when his phone rang. He glanced to see the caller ID and sighed shortly after.

 

It was his mom. He knew what she was gonna say. It was always the same thing.

 

He contemplated whether to answer the call or not. He sighed before he pressed the answer button and put it on loudspeaker as he continued to tie his tie.

 

"Morning mom." He greeted in a subdued manner.

 

"Morning adeul!"

 

"I just wanna remind you about your meeting with Director Lee's daughter later."

 

Well, of course she would do that. 99% of his mom's calls were all about those dates anyways.

 

"You didn't forget, did you Jinwoo?"

 

Jinwoo sighed again. He was sick of his mother trying to set him up with some girls he couldn't care less about. It was all because of a share of his grandfather's fortune that his grandfather left for him and it will only be released when Jinwoo was married.

 

"How could I forget, mom. It's like a daily routine for me to attend all those meetings you set me on." Jinwoo replied as he fixed the dimple on his tie.

 

"I wouldn't have to set you up with any of the girls if you had ever brought a girl home, which in that case, you never did."

 

"Besides, all your previous dates failed miserably that's why I keep setting you up on date. Who knows you might find someone you fancy."

 

"You would have saved the trouble for both of us if you have found a girl sooner, you know."

 

Jinwoo sighed for the nth time. He was only 25. Marriage definitely was not in his plan in near future. Heck, he didn't even care about dating, much less about marriage.

 

"Okay okay. Cut the nagging mom. I'm already late for work. Dad's gonna kill me if I'm late. I'm hanging up."

 

"He won't. But if he did anything, tell me. I will scold him for you when he gets home later."

 

Jinwoo couldn't help but smile to that.

 

"Listen Jinwoo-ah, I want you to get married not just because of your grandfather, but your father and I are hoping that you settle down soon and give us grandchildren. We feel so lonely. You live at your own place and your sister, Jisoo is too old to be a baby even though she still thinks she is one."

 

“She is still a baby to me.” Jinwoo smiled at the thought of his baby sister, Jisoo. She was the most important person to Jinwoo.

 

"Okay, mom. I'm gonna hang up now."

 

"Okay. Love you, adeul."

 

"Me too, mom."

 

Jinwoo pressed the red button on his phone screen to end the call.

 

He took one last look in the mirror as he gave his hair a little fix. Satisfied, he then grabbed his briefcase on his way out.

 

***

 

The sun had already risen up high but one young lady hadn't risen up yet. She was still busy roaming the dreamland. Couldn't blame her though. Her shift at the bar just ended at 3 a.m and a deep sleep was what she needed.

 

*Ring ring*

 

*Ring ring*

 

*Ring ring*

 

Her need for a deep sleep went down the drain when she heard her phone was ringing.

 

She turned herself away from the sound and covered her head with her comforter hoping that it would help her drift back to dreamland.

 

How wrong she was.

 

“Aish…” She stuck her hand out of the comforter to search for her phone.

 

Once found, she picked up the call.

 

“Hello..?” Irene answered groggily.

 

“Irene-yah!” A stern voice called from the other line. Irene’s eyes shot open when she heard the voice. She quickly sat up.

 

“M-Morning boss.” She greeted nervously.

 

“Morning my ! It’s already 12 p.m!”

 

Irene glanced at the wall clock. It was indeed midday.

 

“Sorry..boss.”

 

“Anyways, are you free now?”

 

“Uh, I think so yeah. Why boss?”

 

“Okay, great. Listen, I need you to fill in for Minseok today. He just called in sick and I need you to deliver the stocks from the warehouse to our bar as soon as you can.”

 

Irene hesitated because she was still tired from her late shift.

 

“I’ll pay you extra at the end of the month. How does that sound?”

 

Irene’s face lightened up when her boss mentioned extra pay check. A grin was plastered on her face.

 

“Promise boss?”

 

“Mm.”

 

Yes! Irene fist pumped.

 

“I’ll ask someone to pass the van’s keys to you later.”

 

“Drive carefully. Those stocks are expensive.”

“Got it, boss.” Irene grinned.

 

At the thought of her pocket being extra thicker at the end of the month made Irene felt so pumped.

 

Asa! Extra paycheck!

 

She hurriedly got off her bed to take her shower.

 

**

 

On her way back from the warehouse, weird growling sound started to come from Irene’s stomach. She just remembered she hadn’t had anything since morning.

 

I should probably feed my precious stomach first.

 

She then decided to go to her favourite diner to please her growling stomach.

 

As she was about to make right turn at the junction, she failed to notice a car coming straight from her left and proceeded to make a right turn and Jinwoo, who happened to be the owner of the other car slammed on the brakes to stop his car from crashing into Irene’s van. Although he acted fast, Jinwoo ended up rear-ended the van and the van’s rear suffered a big dent and bottles of whiskeys were broken due to the impact of the crash.

 

Fortunately, only minor injuries were sustained.

 

“Ah…” Jinwoo began rubbing the back of his sore neck as he slowly opened his eyes after the crash. He could see smoke rising slowly from the bonnet.

 

And crowds began to gather around the scene.

 

A man in his 40s came up to him and opened the door for him.

 

“Are you okay, young man?” The man asked.

 

“I’m..fine, ahjusshi.” Jinwoo replied as he tried to get out from the driver’s seat with the man’s help.

 

The man led Jinwoo to the bench nearby and told him to rest there while waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

 

“The ambulance is already on its way so please rest for a while.”

 

Jinwoo nodded and gave a faint smile of gratitude.

 

Jinwoo started to remove his coat and loosened his tie to give himself a little comfort. He then ed the top button of his shirt and rolled up both his sleeves to his elbows.

 

Jinwoo then turned his attention towards the van. He was suddenly curious about the other driver when he saw the van. He could feel his anger slowly rising at the thought of the reckless driver. All of this wouldn’t have happened if the van driver didn’t make the damn turn. It was undoubtedly the van’s driver fault. The driver should have made sure there were no incoming cars before making a turn.

 

How could the driver not see I was coming?

 

Not long after that, he saw someone helped the van driver out and a woman looking as pale as a ghost stepped out from the driver’s seat. She appeared shaken.

 

Jinwoo was about to make his way to the woman when the ambulance arrived. The woman was aided by the paramedics to the ambulance.

 

Jinwoo slowly stood up when he saw a paramedic coming in his direction and made his way to the ambulance.

 

When he arrived at the ambulance, he saw that Irene was already seated, still looking shaken.

 

He climbed into the ambulance and sat next to Irene. The paramedic handed him a cold pack and he put it on his neck. He glanced at Irene and noticed that she was spacing out. His original intention to confront her was put away for a while.

 

He pulled out his phone from his pocket with his free hand and dialled his assistant’s number.

 

“It’s me. I just got into an accident—“

 

“I’m fine. Listen, I need you to cancel all my meetings for the rest of the day.”

 

“And one more thing, Gayoon, do not tell anybody especially my parents that I got into an accident.” It was just a minor accident; he didn’t wanna worry his parents over matters that he could handle by himself.

 

“No buts or whatsoever. Just do as I told you to.”

 

After hearing his assistant’s assurance, he hung up.

 

In the ambulance, both Jinwoo and Irene went through some check-ups to make sure there weren’t any major injuries until further check-ups at the hospital.

 

**

 

“Both of your x-ray and test results are good, fortunately. So, both of you are free to be discharged.”

 

“Please drive safely next time, the both of you.”

 

Both Jinwoo and Irene nodded simultaneously.

 

“Thanks, doctor.” Jinwoo said.

 

“Thank you, doctor.” Irene followed up soon after.

 

Outside the doctor’s room, two police officers were waiting for them.

 

“Mr. Kim Jinwoo and Ms. Bae Irene, correct?” One of the officers asked.

 

Both nodded as confirmation.

 

“I’m Officer Jeon and this is Officer Lee.” Officer Jeon introduced himself and his partner.

 

“We’d like both of you to come down to the Gangnam Police Station tomorrow morning so that we can take your statements.”

 

Oh ! What do I do?

 

Irene started to panic because she knew she was at fault. She should have looked to her left when she made that turn.

 

“I’ll be there first thing in the morning, officer.” Jinwoo said.

 

“Miss?” Officer Jeon called.

 

But Irene was still lost in her own thoughts.

 

Officer Jeon then tapped her arm lightly and that brought Irene back from her thoughts.

 

“Uh..I’m sorry, what did you say?”

 

“You need to come to the station tomorrow, Miss.”

 

“Oh. Yes, yes. I’ll be sure to come.” Irene smiled nervously.

 

“Thank you for your time, Sir, Miss. We’ll be going now.”

 

Both officers bade goodbye to Jinwoo and Irene.

 

“Give me your phone.” Jinwoo suddenly said to Irene.

 

Irene was obviously taken aback.

 

“W—Why?”

 

“Just give it.” Jinwoo gestured.

 

“What do you need my phone for?”

 

“Just give me the damn phone!” Jinwoo was getting impatient.

 

 It had been a rough day for him and he wanted to settle everything as soon as possible. He really wasn't looking forward to waste any more of his time here.

 

Irene was quite surprised at the sudden raise of voice. The man didn’t look the type who got mad easily but my, my. How looks could be deceiving.

 

“Here.” Irene handed the phone to Jinwoo.

 

Jinwoo began typing in his number and dialled it to get Irene’s phone number. His phone vibrated in his pocket and he took it out. He handed back the phone to Irene.

 

“Your name?” Jinwoo asked.

 

“Irene.”

 

Jinwoo saved the number as ‘Irene Van’.

 

“I’ll contact you when I got the damage cost details.”

 

Jinwoo was about to walk away when Irene asked him what was his name.

 

“Jinwoo.”  Jinwoo replied shortly then continued walking.

 

“What a jerk.” Irene complained as she watched Jinwoo’s retreating back.

 

Hence, she saved Jinwoo’s number as ‘Jerk’.

 

A few minutes after Jinwoo had left, her best friend, Solar came to pick her up.

 

“Yah Bae Joohyun! Are you okay? What did the doctor say? Do you have any injuries?” Solar frantically bombarded Irene with questions as she was checking Irene to see if there was any injury. They usually called each other with their Korean names.

 

“No, I’m not okay. This is gonna be the end of me, Yongsun-ah.” Irene said to her best friend, Solar as she buried her face in her palms.

 

“Yah! Don’t joke around like that, Joohyun-ah.”

 

“I’m not. I messed up so bad.”

 

Irene ran her fingers through her long, silky black hair. Anxiety began to fill her up as she tried to figure out a way to pay for the damage cost to her boss and the jerk. Heck, she hadn’t finished paying up her father’s debts. How was she gonna pay her boss and the jerk?

 

“What am I gonna do, Yongsun-ah? Where am I gonna find that money?” Irene sighed in despair, looking at Solar.

 

“I’ll help you with everything that I can.”

 

“We’ll figure a way. We always do.” Solar said to Irene as she pulled her in for a hug. Irene felt a little relieved hearing that.

 

“Thanks a lot. You are truly the bestest friend ever.” Irene said as she tightened her hug.

 

 

 

A/N: Hello readers! I know I'm way beyond late on posting this chapter and I'm terribly sorry for that! :( I had a hard time deciding the flow of this story and I kept changing my mind about the flow which is why this chapter is long overdue. I know this chapter isn't worth the wait and I'm truly sorry for that! I'll try my best to make the next ones better. Thank you for subscribing and commenting guys! :D