Moving Day

Reality Bites

Panda's POV

"Is that the last thing?" I asked as I watched my 5-foot-nothing cousin effortlessly carry a TV two times her size down the driveway towards me and the cars.

"Yup that's everything." she replied as she snuggly fit the TV in the backseat of her car between a dresser and a chair. 

"Yeah that looks safe!" I said skeptically as she closed the door.

"eh it should be fine" she claimed as she waved her hand dismisively. "You just want me to meet you at the house?"

"Yeah that'll work. I'm just gonna say my goodbyes then head out so I won't be too far behind you." I watched as she half hopped into her SUV. 

"Alrighty give everyone a kiss for me. I'll see you in a bit. Loaf you."

"Will do. Loaf you too." 

With that Megan slowly pulled off and made her way down the street to our new home. When I could no longer see the car I turned and made my way back to the place I had called my home for the past 23 years. I would miss this place so much, not just the warmth but the familiarity of it. This was the only building I had ever know as a home and I was a little more than scared to leave it.  And yet on the other hand I am 23 years old and really need some independence.....like BAD. I love my parents and I have always had a great relationship with them, but at some point you need to fly from the nest right? Become your own person? Travel the world? Adventures and what not!? When you get right down to it I have seen very little of this big world, and I have wanted nothing more than to explore it since I was in gradeschool and was given my first manga to read. The cultural differences alone were enough to open my eyes to see that the world is so much more than this little town I was born in.  I made my way up the porch steps and through the door.

"Did Menguin leave already?" My mom said popping her head around the corner of the kitchen 

"Yup she's just gonna meet me at the house." I explained as I walked towards her and planted a kiss on her cheek' "that's from her though" I stepped out onto the back deck, taking in the view of the huge backyard I had the luck to grow up with. Thinking back on all the memories I had in this yard, from playing with Megan and my sister until we were too tired to stand, to falling asleep on the hamock while listening to music and the gentle breeze  in my hair from the steady swinging back and forth, to sneaking to the darkest farthest corner to smoke with friends in highschool, more hapiness than I could even count. I tried to memorize every bit of it, but I knew very well that all my memories couldn't capture the feeling of belonging and safety I got from this small house filled with love and a backyard filled with enough nostalgia to last a lifetime. I heard the door open up behind me as my mom walked up next to me and wrapped one arm around my waist and I laid my head on her shoulder. 

"You can always stay here you know, forever and ever!" she said as she squeezed me closer. 

"I know that would make you very happy, and I will always miss my home but.......I mean I can always come back." I squeezed her back and then we seperated and she followed me back into the house, where my dad was now coming through the front door. 

"Bruce our baby is leaving us." Mom half whined more than said.

"Yeah that's what they do Mariellan." He retorted with that same sarcastic grin that always accompanied his constant dry humor.Between my mom my sister and I he was the quiet one in the house but when he did make a joke it was guaranteed to make you laugh.

I look like my dad for the most part, dark brown hair (that looks a little awkward due to the fact that I am in the process of growing it out) and big hazel eyes framed by thick dark eyelashes, high cheekbones and a round face. However most of my personality traits I get from mom, being far too emotional and romantic about things for one, and also my loud silly behavior that many know me for. I was voted class clown my senior year for a reason. I just love making people laugh and smile, if I happen to make myself look like an idiot in the process so be it. It makes me happy to make others happy, and I'm pretty darn good at it. Unfortunately when people think of you as a clown they tend to think you don't take very many things seriously, or that you dont get hurt as easily as others, and in reality I would say it takes a lot to make me mad but, really it's just that I do a good job of hiding it when I'm upset. I would much rather just laugh something off and deal with it on my own than make a scene about it.  It probaly has a lot to do with that fact that for the most part I was alone a lot througout my gradeschool and highschool years. I had a lot of friends don't get me wrong, but I never had that person you can always rely on to be there for you. The one to always ask if you are ok before anyone else. I have always been the one to make sure that I am ok. I'm more independent than most people I think, and I like it that way, because then no one can let you down, and I don't mean that in a "woe is me I hate the world" type of way, just that I play it safe when it comes to trusting others. When asked how I am, without skipping a beat I always repsond "I'm ok." or "I'm fine." because I'm the funny girl, and people get wierded out when the funnny girl cries.

The only people that I have ever really felt I could trust was my family and especially Megan. Everyone has called her my shadow since we were kids which I think bothers her a bit because she wants to be her own person, but to me it just means that she is always right by me when I need her and that has always meant more to me then I could ever begin to tell her, luckily though I dont have to because most of the time she knows how I feel without me even needing to tell her (one of the many reasons why I can always rely on her).  She is also one of the only people I can be 100% myself with, not overly goofy to get laughs, not always "Ok", I can be weak with Megan and tell her all the things that really bother me, because I know she's listening, just like I am always there to listen to her. I don't know who I would be without her sometimes because she is such a huge part of me.

My dad walked over to me, ruffled my hair, and kissed me on the forehead. "You know you can always call me or your mother if you need anything."

"I know dad thanks." Always my big quiet protector. He walked away and headed towards the living room to take his usual spot on the couch. Giving my mom and I some time to be emotional.

I looked at her and already I could tell she was tearing up, which of course caused me to tear up. She wrapped her arms around me and squeezed me real tight and I squeezed her right back. "Love you sweet pea." 

"Love you too momma." I could feel the lump in my throat grow larger. She let me go kissing me on the cheek and before I could fall apart I grabbed my final bag and headed out the door. 

I climbed into my car and started down the driveway with that lump still in my throat but I didnt let myself fall apart until I was pulling out of the driveway and looked back at the house one last time to see my parents in the big bay window. My dad had one arm wrapped around my moms shoulders the other hand in his pocket. My mom was leaned up against him with her head on his shoulder and the other hand waving goodbye. I remember taking a picture in my mind of them then, the picture perfect representation of love. As I pulled out onto the street and made my way toward the new house I finaly let myself shed a few tears and then imediatley forgot about it when I my ipod and prepared myself for so many new memories to come.