Final

Narrow Stairs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I like this part,” Daesung hums as his finger taps along the beat.

 

Jiyong nods. “So do I.”

 

“It’s different compared to your other songs though. Are you going for a different feel with this one?” He asks, and Jiyong doesn’t know what to reply.

 

“Not really,” he manages out after a while. The song has stopped by now, and they’re both listening to the silence.

 

Jiyong feels like there’s something he wants to say so he opens his mouth, but he stops shortly after. His eyes fall on the man next to him, who has his gaze focused on nothing in particular. When did you grow up? Jiyong wonders.

 

Daesung looks up. “What?” He asks, cocking his head to the side inquisitively as he finally locks his eyes with Jiyong’s.

 

“What what?” Jiyong shoots back, not sure what the other is referring to.

 

“Oh, I thought you said something,” Daesung dismisses the entire thing by waving his hand. He sighs shortly after as he pushes his chair backwards. Jiyong wants to pull him back but he doesn’t.

 

“I should go,” the younger states, looking at his watch.

 

Jiyong wants him to stay, and he wants to ask him, too, yet he doesn’t. He hides his thoughts perfectly under one of those smiles he’s flashed one too many times already. “Say hi to him from me.”

 

Daesung doesn’t turn to face him as he forces his arms in his jacket. “Will do.” And then he’s off.

 

With one push on the button, Jiyong replays the song they were just listening to. Halfway through he drops his head on the mixing table and immediately feels like doing it again, only harder. Daesung’s right. The song doesn’t fit the rest of the album.

 

 

 

He calls Daesung two days later. When the younger picks up, he forgets the reason he’s contacting him in the first place. It’s doesn’t matter much; they talk for hours and hours and end the call only because Daesung has an interview to go to. It’s not until another hour has passed that he remembers, so he sends him a text.

 

“I took the song off the album.” To; Daesung

 

Daesung’s reply comes quickly.

 

“Why? I liked it.” From; Daesung

 

Jiyong pinches the bridge of his nose.

 

“It didn’t fit.” To; Daesung

 

He doesn’t get a reply, and there’s a part of him that knows very well why.

 

As he slumps down in his couch he wonders if it’s supposed to feel this way. He did the right thing, didn’t he? He did what was best for the both of them.

 

It’s not until later that evening that he receives another text.

 

“The song’s about her, isn’t it?” From; Daesung

 

There it is again. It’s only been a few hours since his stomach had settled, but there it was again, ripping and shredding him up.

 

No, Jiyong wants to tell him. It’s about you. But he doesn’t.

 

 

 

“You’re being obvious,” Youngbae whispers in his ear.

 

Jiyong swats him away like he would a bug. The buzzing is equally annoying.

 

“At least stop staring at him,” the other warns him. “Seunghyun won’t like it if he’ll see.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter