Just you and me

Just you and me

January 2015.

Sitting at the table, Hyesung frowned with concentration as he carefully read the documents in his hands.

According to them, his schedule was totally packed.

No. To be precise, Shinhwa's schedule was totally packed for the next few days.

Hyesung looked up and squinted suspiciously at the man who was currently looking through his cupboards, hunting for something edible.

“Eric?”
“I'm so hungry. Why don't you have any decent food left?” Eric whined.
Mun Junghyuk,” Hyesung said again, gritting his teeth.

Eric didn't answer this time and Hyesung just knew he was ignoring him on purpose. At Eric's feet, tongue sticking out and tail flailing, Gomdori was watching his whiny master with great expectation, yapping happily as he rummaged through the contents of the cupboards.

The rapper didn't seem to find anything to his liking though.

“When did you last buy real food for god's sake?” He asked again.

Unfazed, Hyesung suppressed a snort, swearing affectionately at his boyfriend as the man automatically took out his phone and dialed one of their favorite delivery restaurants.

The singer waited until he finished ordering a humongous amount of yummy but totally unhealthy food to lecture him.

“Eric, vegetables are real and decent food, you know.”

Wrinkling up his nose, Eric protested. “But we worked so hard today, I can't eat just that. Neither can you.”

Hyesung sighed as Eric pouted cutely, too resigned to be annoyed. They had worked a lot but he was also currently following a strict diet for their comeback. Eric was dieting too, but clearly didn't mind bending the rules from time to time, and Hyesung knew there was no point in arguing with his pouty boyfriend. Resisting his puppy eyes was way harder than resisting food temptation.

Moreover, his rebellious, growling stomach seemed to agree with the rapper. Hyesung tried to ignore it though. Propping his head up on one hand, he brandished accusingly in the other the papers that Eric had handed him over earlier.

“What's this?” Hyesung asked, frowning a little.

After a long day of dance rehearsals, Hyesung had come home, barely had time to freshen up and flop down on the couch to play video games for a few minutes when Eric had popped up on his doorstep, about half-an-hour ago, bringing Gomdori with him and these documents.

The singer had been surprised, not expecting him to be back before a couple of hours. Eric had left the rehearsals earlier than him to go to a ShinCom business meeting, but the rapper had come home as soon as exciting news had been confirmed.

“Our next schedule,” Eric said, beaming.
“I see that. But why?”
“What do you mean?”

Hyesung frowned even more at Eric's falsely innocent eyes, not falling for it.

“You know what I mean. That's exactly the schedule you showed me a few days ago. Your personal schedule in Shanghai. So tell me, how did it become Shinhwa's at the last minute?”

Embarrassed, Eric rubbed his nape, his eyes turning guilty as he avoided his stare. The atmosphere became suddenly serious.

“Well. Shinhwa needs promotion. We'll make our comeback soon.”

Hyesung just kept staring at him.

“Okay,” Eric admitted a few seconds later, sighing. “It felt a bit lonely to go there alone. But that was also a nice opportunity for us so I asked them to make it a Shinhwa's appearance. So what? It'll be fun!”

When Hyesung still remained silent, Eric turned his back to him, busying himself with preparing Gomdori's dinner, taking out the dog food supplies Hyesung kept in his cupboards for when Eric slept over, bringing his dog with him.

“I missed the guys, I missed promoting all together... with you. Am I the only one who feels that way? Don't you want us to...”

He stopped talking when Hyesung's arms suddenly embraced his waist from the back, hugging him warmly.

“I suppose it's too late to back down anyway? You agreed on ShinCom's behalf, didn't you?” He hesitated.

His inquiry didn't seem to appease Eric, judging by how tense the man in his arms was, and Hyesung couldn't help but smile a little when Eric didn't say anything, obviously sulking at his boyfriend's lack of enthusiasm. And people called him sensitive. Hyesung inhaled and exhaled deeply, tightening his hold.

“I want to be with you too," he said softly, a little nervously. "But that doesn't mean I want you to act so selflessly for me, or even for Shinhwa. I can endure not seeing you for a couple of days if your personal activities require it, you know.”

It was moving, almost disturbing for the singer to see with how little concern Eric sacrificed himself, his own carrier, for his friends, for him. How could he not see that?

Eric seemed to relax a little but still complained childishly.

“That's what I'm saying here. You don't need me as much as I need you, obviously. "

Hyesung sighed with impatience, silently wondering who was the most insecure between the two of them. He squeezed his waist. “Idiot. We'll be seeing each other enough for the next few months. You'll be the first one to get tired of me.”

Eric turned around slowly, only breaking Hyesung's embrace to better take him into his arms. Surprised, Hyesung let him, grabbing the rapper's upper arms. They stared at each other.

“I'll never get tired of you,” Eric said seriously. “Never.”
“Eric...”

Hyesung's next words were stuck in his throat as Eric leaned his head slightly, getting closer until his lips touched his, kissing him slowly and sweetly. Both men closed their eyes as their mouths and tongues softly moved against each other. Hyesung arms gently encircled Eric's neck and when their kiss ended, he hugged him tenderly.

Next to them, Gomdori yapped and whined unhappily as his food remained momentarily out of reach.

Eric shushed him and caressed the singer's back for a while, then started to kiss his jaw and neck.

"By the way, as the bookings were made too late, it looks like we'll all have to share double bed rooms," he told him sweetly between kisses, his tone lighter. "So, it'll be just you and me once again."

He was surprised when Hyesung snorted. Leaning back, the singer gave Eric one peck on the cheek. Ignoring the rapper's interrogating look, Hyesung took Gomdori's plate and put it down on the floor, squatting down to pet the now happy, eating dog.

"No it won't. Too bad I promised Dongwan I would share the next hotel room with him for a change," Hyesung told him nonchalantly, smiling at the puppy.
"What? What does that mean? Pilkyo-yah, answer me! Is Dongwan your boyfriend or am I? Yah!"

~~~

A couple of days later, in a hotel room.

Hyesung sighed as he went out of the bathroom in his pyjamas, all clean and ready for bed. The bedroom was dim lighted but the singer didn't even need to open his eyes to go and crash into the inviting, cozy bed, not even noticing the dark, watchful eyes of the person lying in the other bed, staring at him.

Crawling pathetically under the quilt, Hyesung moaned in relief as his tired muscles instantly relaxed on the soft bed and he nuzzled the sweet pillow. He had nearly forgotten how exhausting promoting could be.

"What exactly are you doing over there?"

Opening an eye with effort, Hyesung didn't react immediately as a shocked, incredulous Eric stared at him from the other bed.

"What?" Hyesung croaked.

Eric sat up, messing up the sheets. "Aren't we sleeping together?" He asked, suddenly worrying his lip.

Hyesung stared back at him, blushing a little. Turning his back to him, he didn't answer and hid under the quilt, muttering a muffled but still very audible 'ert'. Eric pouted.

"I had to fight Dongwan to win you back and that's all I get?" He complained pitifully.

Indeed, the rapper had challenged Dongwan when Hyesung had fulfilled his promise to share his double bed room with the man.

Hyesung rolled his eyes when Eric mumbled a "you're such a heartbreaker" under his breath and the singer pushed the quilt back, his eyes narrowing on Eric's pouty face.

"Oh really? Do you want me to explain to Dongwan how Junjin helped you cheat at rock-paper-scissors so you could win?"

Eric gulped. He had hoped Hyesung wouldn't have noticed that.

"But Hyesungie..." He whined.

Hyesung rolled his eyes again as he reached for the switch, turning off the light.

"You d me enough for one day anyway," he grumbled.
"Did not," Eric muttered.

Except that he had, Hyesung thought, remembering the numerous times his boyfriend had touched him during the day, making him shy more than once in front of so many people. His cheeky boyfriend had even grabbed his bum once, waiting for him on purpose as they had exited the Chinese television set. Hell, he had even petted his hair way more than necessary during the little skit they had to do for the Chinese show.

To be honest, Hyesung hadn't minded the public displays of affection for once. It had been such a long time since their last appearance together on a tv show, especially in a foreign country, that he had secretly needed the reassurance – not that he would admit that out loud. It had been... nice, in fact.

Despite the darkness, Hyesung could feel his lover's intent eyes on him. Eric was still whining childishly in the other bed about his pure innocence in the previous matter, telling him it had been Junjin's evil idea. Hyesung didn't pay attention to the arguments of the culprit, but he gave in anyway, lifting the corner of his quilt.

"Aish! I get it! Come here."

Eric screamed in victory and soon, Hyesung felt the mattress sink down a little as his lover slipped into the bed next to him. He sneaked under the quilt and snuggled against the singer, arms grabbing his waist greedily and hands wandering on his clothed body, caressing his back soothingly. Hyesung sighed in contentment, eyes closing.

"I'm so tired. Maybe I'm getting too old for this," he wondered in a murmur after a moment.

Eric chuckled and kissed him softly on the lips, whispering what sounded suspiciously like a "you're silly" between kisses. Then he was nuzzling his neck, with pleasure as Hyesung returned the favor, massaging softly the rapper's back over his tee-shirt. They were tightly embraced, warm and cozy, and after a while, the singer raised his arm, his fingers picking and caressing tenderly a few straight strands of his lover's hair.

"We have to get up early," he murmured against his forehead.

Eric merely hummed, agreeing with him.

"Maybe we really should sleep in separate beds," Hyesung continued worriedly, eyes still closed. "What if someone barges in to wake us up?"

They weren't exactly alone on that trip. Their staff and the other members were barely meters away.

"They wouldn't," Eric reassured him. "I didn't give the secret code of the room to anyone anyway. It's just you and me."
"Just you and me, huh?"

Eric nodded again, smiling as he felt Hyesung's hand leave his hair to cup his jaw, his thumb his skin. Soon, the singer's mouth was hovering over his face, peppering lazily his cheek and lips of tired but sweet kisses. 

~~~

Later.

Four electronic beeps were followed by a soft 'click', and cracking the door open, someone entered the room. The intruder didn't turn on the light, holding his breath as he walked stealthily in, closing the door behind him.

It was way too dark for the man to even see his own feet, and he took his time, walking carefully as he slowly stepped into the bedroom and drew his weapon.

Brandishing his marker pen in the dark, Dongwan scrunched up his face with determination.

He was there for revenge. A couple of hours ago, in their own bedroom, under torture that should never be described, he had forced Junjin to admit that he and Eric had cheated at rock-paper-scissors earlier on. Dongwan pouted. Now he was stuck with Junjin, the backstabber. That was totally unfair! Hyesung had promised to share a room with him! Not Eric.

After spying on Eric when the leader had typed the four digit code of his and Hyesung's hotel room and having stolen his manager's marker pen, Dongwan had been ready to take his revenge and scribble embarrassing little drawings all over Eric's face during his sleep. He had even brought his phone with him to take some photos of it. His plan was perfect!

Suppressing a giggle, Dongwan walked with more confidence, but suddenly stumbled into one suitcase. Gasping, he fell head first on one bed, the mattress stifling the sound of his fall. After a few seconds, remaining still, he sighed in relief, noticing he had managed to keep the pen, but froze when he realized he had fallen flat on his face, on the bed.

His free hand cautiously brushed the fabric of the quilt, looking for bumps. There were none. This bed was unmistakably unoccupied.

Soft snoring could be heard though, and as he stood up, Dongwan looked for his phone. Covering a little the bright light of the screen with his hand, he scanned the room and gasped, nearly dropping his phone and marker pen in the process.

Eric and Hyesung were both sleeping soundly in the other bed, closely cuddled up to each other. Arms around each other, Hyesung's head was resting on Eric chest, just under his chin.

Were those two...?

Unable to move, Dongwan watched the sweet, cozy embrace of the two grown men for a moment, blushing in the dark, then gathering his thoughts, he came closer. After a few failed tries because of the lack of light and smothered swear words, he finally dared to use his phone's full light to take a good photo of the cute couple.

Eric's head was turned the other way, but Dongwan freaked out when Hyesung frowned in his sleep, snuggling closer to Eric as he nuzzled his chest, unconsciously protecting himself from the annoying light that tried to pierce his eyelids in the middle of the night.

Panicking, Dongwan put down his phone, darkness returning, and as stealthily as he had entered the hotel room, he went out, finding himself once again in the illuminated, empty corridor.

As he safely closed the door behind him, he released the breath he didn't even know he had been holding. He started walking back to his own room, feeling flushed, heart beating wildly.

Dongwan took out his phone and stared at the picture he had just successfully stolen, blushing. He had to admit it was a little disturbing to find his friends sleeping together like that, but they looked so cute together.

He chuckled. It looked like he wouldn't have to keep his longtime promise to set Hyesung up on a blind date after all.

Or maybe he should, he realized as an afterthought. A date with himself. Eric would be totally mad and Dongwan would have his sweet revenge.

Still looking dreamily at the photo, Dongwan smiled to himself as he entered his own room.

~~~

The following morning, at the airport.

Their fans were already there when Hyesung and Eric went out of the cars, walking in the airport with their managers.

They had had a good night of sleep and the breakfast with everyone at the hotel restaurant had been joyful. Their appearance in Shanghai as Shinhwa had been quite a success, it seemed. Even Dongwan who had been pouting the previous evening, disappointed to not share a room with the main singer, had seemed oddly gleeful.

In fact, Hyesung could have sworn he had spent the entire meal staring at him, a sappy, happy smile on his lips, until Eric, visibly annoyed, had made him snap out of it, throwing little balls of bread at him, literally littering the table as the other members had childishly joined in the game.

Thinking about it, that had been weird. But Dongwan had always been a little weird, to be fair.

Hyesung and Eric were the first ones to leave China, the other members taking another flight later, so they had bid them goodbye at the end of their meal.

Adjusting the dark mask on his face, Hyesung lowered his head as the fans started screaming, getting closer. The managers were keeping them at a certain distance, so he was surprised when a phone invaded his personal space, snapping photos of his masked face.

At first, he looked down, trying to avoid the annoying paparazzi, but when none of the managers tried to push the impudent person away – his staff ignoring him blatantly even when he sent them a meaningful glare for them to do their job – Hyesung followed their amused eyes, finally noticing whose phone it was.

Turning around, he saw Eric, right behind him, the rapper laughing goofily. Glaring at him, Hyesung grabbed his neck playfully, forcing him to lower his head. His punishment was close to a caress though as his hand ended up brushing Eric's hair, cupping his head affectionately.

Overexcited, the fans were screaming at the sweet scene and their managers were not helping him at all, staring at the scene with puzzlement. Blushing, Hyesung grumbled behind his mask and kept walking forward, ignoring his own amusement. Stupid Eric and his stupid jokes.

Undeterred by his edgy attitude, Eric beamed and tried to grab his hand, only to have his own hand swatted.

"Yah!" Hyesung protested loudly.

Not giving up one bit, Eric laughed along with the fans and gently covered Hyesung's fingers which were nervously clamping the strap of his backpack. Hyesung flushed, suddenly shy as their public giggled at them. He had not choice but let him hold his hand, or stupid rumors about their supposed bad relationship would certainly start, and that wouldn't be good at all for Shinhwa.

But really, didn't the rapper realize that they weren't alone and that these photos would be posted all over the internet?

He sneaked a timid glance in the direction of his grinning boyfriend. Nope, he didn't seem to mind at all. Hyesung smiled a little too behind his mask.

A mere couple of hours later they were back in Korea. The Incheon airport was quieter than expected, with only a few fans waiting for them at a respectable distance.

He didn't notice any snapshots as they went in the same car, but he let out a relieved sigh when Eric closed his door and the manager started the engine, quickly pulling out of the car park and heading towards Seoul and their home. The singer closed his eyes, relaxing.

He started though when Eric leaned towards him to whisper in his ear, his lips brushing it slightly but without any doubt intentionally. "Now it's just you and me."

Hyesung opened his eyes and straightened his back, moving away a little. "Not yet," he whispered back, scolding him with a little frown on his face.

Eric only smiled, turning his head away. Hyesung glanced nervously at their oblivious manager in the driving mirror, then he looked at the road, lost in his thoughts. After a while though, Eric's hand had found his again on the seat and interlaced their fingers together.

Hyesung looked at his boyfriend questioningly, but Eric wasn't even remotely looking in his direction, as if he wasn't paying any attention at all to him, even less currently holding his hand.

Their manager couldn't see them, not even in the rear-view mirrors, but it was still kinda risky, as sweet as the gesture could be. Yet, Hyesung let him hold his hand, again. He even squeezed his fingers back, and as the singer looked through his own window, Eric's smile grew imperceptibly.

Less than an hour later, they were home, holding hands and kissing the other in a cozy atmosphere.

Just the two of them.

~The End~