Welcome to PriZm

Untameable Desires

Pride, envy and greed; three traits that are typically viewed as negative and can consume a person’s identity for better or for worse. Lust and wrath; when coupled together, a highly seductive but dangerous combination. Gluttony; why only lead one gang when you can lead two? Last but not least, sloth; why put yourself in danger when you can hire someone else to do your dirty work? Everyone has sinned at least once in their lives. But what do you do when your whole life is based on sins? What do you do when your life is a sin in itself?

The deed was done. The gun fell from Jinhwan’s pale hands and crashed onto the floor as his body was engulfed in flames.

-----

The summer breeze rustled through the leaves of the oak trees enclosing the large green estate. Stars dotted the night sky, creating abstract images of yellow and silver. Jinhwan shifted uncomfortably in the leather seat of the car as he looked out the tinted window at the mansion slowly approaching his view.  He focused on calming his nerves as the house got closer and closer, his sweaty palms unpleasantly rubbing against the silky material of his gloves. Breathe in, breathe out. It’s not like he was about to enter the lair of the most notorious mob leader in the district. The person in the front passenger seat cleared his throat, distracting Jinhwan from the nauseous feeling that was making its way up from his stomach. He didn’t think Chanwoo would be fond of having this afternoon’s spaghetti and meatballs all over the floor of his new baby.

“You do know you’re walking straight into the lion’s den, right?” Chanwoo spoke, his lips a smirk in the darkness.

Jinhwan gulped and adjusted the straps on his thigh connecting his stockings to his skirt. It had taken them almost over an hour to fit him into the horridly attractive outfit, and throughout the whole process Jinhwan was sure he was going to die from embarrassment or suffocation; whichever came first. Chanwoo looked over his shoulder and chuckled when he was met back with wide eyes and a pale face. 

“Jinhwan, you’ll be fine. Just listen to what I say,” he assured the tiny boy as he tossed a small black earpiece at him. 

“You’re a dead man if I make it back alive, you know that,” Jinhwan replied harshly, adjusting the earpiece into his ear.

“Then let’s hope you don’t come back.”

Jinhwan’s hand reached for the cool metal of the pocket knife hidden under his thigh-highs and grasped it tightly. He knew he would have to use it. What he didn’t know was that tonight, he would also have to make the biggest sacrifice of his life.

The car entered the large silver gates and drove around the marble fountain situated in the centre of the courtyard. People in luxurious gowns and suits exited their vehicles and filed through the double doors separating the outside from the lavish life of the underworld. As they came to a halt, a petite boy with middle-parted hair and an irresistible smile approached Jinhwan’s door and carefully pulled it open. 

“Welcome, miss,” he greeted softly as he bowed down and held out a white-gloved hand for Jinhwan to hold. After a slight hesitation and an impatient click of Chanwoo’s tongue, Jinhwan pulled the blue masquerade mask over his eyes and gently placed his hand over the boy’s. He could sense that underneath the boy’s own sequinned mask, his eyebrows were raised as Jinhwan clumsily got out, his heels wobbling beneath him. The boy muttered something inaudible under his breath as he shut the door and led Jinhwan up the steps to his demise. 

Jinhwan turned around before he got to see the dark expression shrouding Chanwoo’s eyes. His gaze bore into Jinhwan’s back as the car drove away.

 

Bright colours blinded Jinhwan’s vision as he stepped into the mansion. It was like looking into a kaleidoscope; colours in various shades and shapes spun and flitted around the room, deeply immersed within the thumping music. The sweet fragrance of roses incinerated Jinhwan’s nostrils and he felt himself getting lured into the vibrant scene. He wanted to drown himself in the colourful sea and become one with the masked comrades. No one had an identity here; they were all hiding behind facades and waiting to be completely exposed in the early hours of tomorrow, perhaps in a secluded room on a huge bed or in a dark alleyway just a few minutes’ walk away. The thought of someone revealing him later that night sent a chill down his spine, frightening him and shaking him from his delirium like you would shake someone up from a nightmare. Oh, the horror. Just what exactly were they releasing into the air? What was in the wine balanced expertly on the silver platters going around that seemed to put everyone in a hypnotic state?

Jinhwan noticed that the strangely attractive boy that led him there disappeared into the crowd. It was time to take his own steps.

As he made his way further onto the dancefloor, his eyes skimmed over the figures standing around and recognised familiar faces. 

To the left near the bar, was Song Yunhyeong, founder of ABSTRAX; the underground gang who hid in the shadows and only came put to play whenever music and drugs were involved. These people were next to harmless; they didn’t want a fight unless you gave it to them first.

Next to him, perched on a velvet stool, was Kim Hanbin, leader of ASTR*X; the sub-unit of ABSTRAX specialising in beats and drug dealing. They were a rookie group formed when Hanbin wanted to expand his business into the rap industry and hard-core pharmaceuticals. You want opioids? ASTR*X have got ‘em. Warehouses full. Jinhwan was in bad blood with Hanbin and ensured that he avoided any contact with him, whether eye or physical. He kept his head down and hoped that no one could recognise him under his disguise. 

“Jinhwan, don’t say a word. It’s Chanwoo.” The static voice said through his earpiece. “Look up. Top floor. Target sighted.”

Jinhwan followed his direction and focused his gaze to the stone floor above their heads.

Sitting on a lone chair on a balcony overlooking the entire event, looking like Adonis on his high pedestal, was Kim Jiwon. His legs were neatly crossed in his purple pants and his hair was lightly ruffled by the evening wind. Circling him were girls in outfits that showed way too much skin running their hands and provocative red lips along his chest and neck. He looked directly down at Jinhwan and a smirk played on his lips. Jinhwan felt uneasy; it was like he was standing before the king himself. Well in this region, he was considered royalty. He kept the cash rolling in. His vehicles were foreign and his es were modellin’. He was known as Bobby among his friends (friends being that you were one of those few lucky people whose throats he didn’t feel like ripping out). But the role he was most known for was being the leader of PriZm, the infamous gang specialising in weaponry and art. PriZm had a way of influencing and controlling consumers via art and utilising the form as a means of manipulation and propaganda. Jinhwan gulped as his from ten minutes ago approached Jiwon and leaned in close, his pink lips grazing against his ear. They parted slightly and mouthed words no one else could hear. His mask was no longer on, revealing a pretty little face. Jinhwan noticed with amusement that the boy’s eyebrows were in fact raised at the ends. Permanently. 

 

“Nam Taehyun, born 1994. Joined PriZm 2 years ago at the age of 18. Former high school iljin and drop-out. Valuable member due to his distinctive art skill and strong incentive to overtake anyone standing in his way. Jiwon keeps him under his wing and watches him like a hawk.”

 

Chanwoo’s commentary made the situation feel as though they were in some cheesy blockbuster spy film.

 

“Look around you. The artworks have his name written all over them.”

 

Plastered along the walls, the dark purple"Z" screaming out, was their signature mark.

Jinhwan didn’t get to properly observe it before all the lights went out. 

 

A sinister laughter erupted throughout the room, followed by a scream that pierced through the darkness.