All I ever need to find you is to follow the corpses of cats

Interview with a Bro

“I will end up alone. Found in some of your ugly sweaters and surrounded by cats.”

Byun Baekhyun. Male. 23 years old. And forever whining about his single status.


“Don’t put your sad and lonely near my fabulous sweaters, please. Thank you.”

Kim Jongdae. Male. Also 23 years old. And as Baekhyun’s best friend, forever the victim of his long rants.






“Cats! Jongdae! Cats - and you know that I am more of a dog person.”

“You are a dog alright.” Jongdae is busy finishing his essay for his political science summer course but they have been friends for such a long time that he could exchange quips with him even while asleep.

“And I am too pretty to die alone. Have you seen my ? This is not a single-, this is high quality tap-.”

“Certainly not tapas, I agree. Although…“, Jongdae stops a moment to look at him over his screen, “Your might be sardine sized.”

“As I said, my lady-humps - I mean my masculine thighs would bring all the boys to the yard.” Being friends for so long also means that Baekhyun can perfectly ignore Jongdae’s impish grin and the veiled insults at his .

He paces back and forth some more, then stops and spins around dramatically, his finger quivering in the air. Throwing him one look, Jongdae knows Baekhyun either has some juicy gossip or he’s about to spill another Vampire Diaries spoiler (not that they would ever admit to watching Vampire Diaries).

“Did you hear about Shindong?” Baekhyun sounds indignant about the news but the twinkle in his eyes betrays his giddy, inner highschool-girl.

“That obnoxious flop from the Engineering department?”

“Yes, that dude. Well, guess what. He’s dating!”

“No!” honestly, Jongdae couldn't care less, but he still gives Baekhyun the answer he knows he wants to hear.

“Yes! In what universe is it fair that he is getting while my supreme meat is staying shelved?” Baekhyun lets out another long-suffering sigh, dropping onto the chaise lounge in a sprawled mess of limbs and woe-is-me.

“Well, that mental image ruined my appetite.”

“Why are we friends?” Baekhyun sits up again without expecting an answer. He supposes he should leave Jongdae be and let him finish his work but having been confronted with lovey dovey couples earlier on his way home, a feeling of self-loathing had struck him and he had come over, looking for some company and free food.

Speaking of food - “Shall I cook us something while you do your homework?” Baekhyun is already sashaying to the kitchen when he’s tackled to the ground.

“Noooo!” Jongdae is practically roaring. “You are not to set a single foot into my kitchen.”

“Why not?! And get your fat off me. You are crushing my moneymaker.” Baekhyun’s voice on a good day is like an ensnaring siren’s melody, its warm timbre luring you in with images of molten chocolate and cosy fireplaces. On a bad day, however, one could only describe it as a dying whale getting roasted on a blazing fire.

Jongdae presses down until Baekhyun is completely flat against the floor, then puts his hand over the other’s mouth and leans closer to growl into his ear. “Will you tone it down a bit. I am not in the mood for having my neighbour bang on my door again and explaining your existence to him.”

Lying on the ground with one cheek crushed to to cold tiles, it’s hard not to rethink one’s life choices and yet all Baekhyun can focus on is Jongdae’s voice, slightly rough from growling and how he can feel his warm breath ghosting over his face, bringing with it the smell of the peppermint tea Jongdae had earlier. He doesn’t know whether to feel relieved or sad when Jongdae finally lets go and rolls off his body to stand up.

He feels a bit queasy. And possibly also a bit nauseous. Baekhyun is so confused. Maybe his tummy is feeling weird because he’s hungry?

“I’m hungry.” Baekhyun never second-guesses his feelings.

Jongdae scoffs at him. “You are always hungry. What are you? A black hole?”

“Now you are just being mean and breaking the most fundamental code between best friends.” Baekhyun stretches himself out on the floor. Jongdae’s apartment is cosy and getting up means movement. “Article 1: thou shalt always feedeth your bestest friend.”

“Fine. I shall cook us something. But you stay put. Last time you almost set my kitchen on fire.”

“I did not! Your kitchen is just not adapted to my genius.” Baekhyun finally manages to let go of his horizontal position and trails after his friend. He likes watching Jongdae being domestic, finding him oddly endearing with his little apron. Of course, even wild horses couldn’t make him admit that out loud. Their entire friendship is based on the mutual understanding that they are awesome bros. And bros don’t talk about their feelings, even if Baekhyun could coo forever at the sight of his best friend furrowing his brows in concentration while slicing onions.

“You know”, Jongdae remarks casually while expertly stirring the chopped vegetables in a pan. “I could set you up with someone.”

“What? No, I am no one’s pity and I am quite capable of scoring my own dates.” Baekhyun yells back from the storage cabinet where he’s choosing a wine for dinner. Maybe the Chardonnay? But then he remembers that Jongdae prefers a Chablis. “Besides, do you even know other people, apart from me and Kyungsoo?” He opens the bottle and nudges Jongdae aside with his hip to take out two wine glasses from the cabinet.

“Not everyone wants to be a social manwhore like you, Baek.” Jongdae tastes the dish. “Pass me the pepper, otherwise you will complain about the blandness again.”

“Spices are God’s way of letting us have a taste of heaven.” Baekhyun looks for the spices and then goes on to set the table. Jongdae’s kitchen is tiny but Baekhyun is so familiar with the place and his friend that they move perfectly in synch without bumping into each other.

Jongdae inspects the wine Baekhyun has chosen and makes a noise of approval. He bends over to put the dish into the oven and Baekhyun can’t help but appreciate the way those skinny jeans showcase his best friend’s . When he notices his train of thought he blanches internally. When did he start to find Jongdae’s that fascinating? He really needs to date again and stop checking out his best friend, no matter how delectable he looks in those skinny jeans.

Yes, Baekhyun thinks, tomorrow he’ll ask out the new intern at work.






Baekhyun cannot believe he was nervous about his date with Oh Sehun.

After having decided to grab the bull by the horns and be the commander of his own , Baekhyun had found his manhood and had asked out the new intern from the marketing department who had been the subject of gossip since his arrival. Sehun supposedly had close family relations with their company’s CEO, some claimed he had ties with the mafia while others hinted at ual favors that had been given to get the internship but they all agreed on one thing: Oh Sehun was on legs.

So, it had come as a surprise how easily Sehun had agreed to go on a date with him. Baekhyun had expected to at least have to woo him with free bubble tea, excessive flattery and maybe his lucky pants to show off his assets. Long story short: Baekhyun, expecting a frosty welcome, had assaulted the intern’s cubicle with intent and purpose in honor of his crying but Sehun had simply agreed before returning to his Candy Crush game on his cell phone.

Looking at the pale boy across the table, Baekhyun wonders why Sehun had accepted to go on a date. He has shown zero interest so far and has only looked alive when his food arrived. So far, they’ve discussed work (both are afraid of superintendent Minseok despite his cute cheeks), the weather (nice for the time of year), food (let’s just order bulgogi) and Sehun’s dislike for their copy machine at which point Baekhyun had given up on steering this date into the direction of his bed.

When Sehun takes out his phone to play another game of Candy Crush Baekhyun decides he has had enough and calls Jongdae.

His best friend picks up after two rings. “Has it been that long that I have to explain how works?Again?”

“No, you dip. The date is over. Can you come pick me up? We can go for drinks.”

There’s a short pause but Baekhyun can hear Jongdae search for his keys in the background.“Ok. Text me the address and I’ll be there in five.”

He hangs up and starts texting when he feels Sehun looking at him curiously.

“What?” Baekhyun asks rather rudely.

“This was a - a date?” Sehun’s face is an odd mixture of constipation and genuine surprise.

Baekhyun is stunned for a second before he starts searching for the hidden camera because really, this must be a joke. “What did you think this was?” he hisses at a still perplexed Sehun and takes small comfort when he sees him swallow nervously.

“You just said - let’s have dinner sometime. So I thought you just wanted to have a friendly chat about work.” Sehun stutters awkwardly while staring intently at the pattern of their tablecloth, not daring to look directly at a bristling Baekhyun.

“Friendly?” Baekhyun scoffs. “Maybe you’d be more interested if I was a game myself, seeing as you’ve spent more time on your phone than talking to me.” He orders another glass of wine to wash down the bitter taste of rejection.

Sehun opens his mouth a few times as to apologise but wilts under Baekhyun’s cold gaze.

After a long and awkward silence Baekhyun sighs and decides to take pity on him. “It’s ok. Let’s just forget about this. But I’m curious about one thing though - why did you agree to come with me?”

Sehun waves his hand vaguely around and blushes before answering meekly. “Because. Free food.” He quickly averts his eyes again and goes back to studying the table until he hears Baekhyun make choking noises. He slowly raises his head and finds a red faced Baekhyun trying very hard not to laugh out loud, having suddenly realized the absurdity of the whole situation.

Baekhyun keeps on snickering and Sehun starts chuckling softly, too, when a deep voice speaks up beside him.

“This looks cozy. And here I thought I’d have to come and save the princess from the claws of a terrifying monster.”

Jongdae is standing next to their table, clearly underdressed for the occasion, wearing some sweatpants, a ratty t-shirt and a scowl on his face. He goes over to Baekhyun and smacks him hard on the head. “Hello . Is this a game for you? I was worried, thinking you might be in a very unpleasant position and I find you having a good time. To think I even bothered to put on pants before coming here to rescue you.”

Ignoring Baekhyun’s cries, he slaps him again. “Goodbye .” And turns to leave the restaurant.

“Jongdae! Wait.” Baekhyun jumps up to run after his best friend. “Really, don’t leave me with him.” They both turn back to Sehun, who is still seated at the table; his mouth slightly open while he blatantly checks out Jongdae with a dazed look in his eyes that Baekhyun doesn’t trust.

“Too bad.” Jongdae snaps back. “Should have thought about that before interrupting my Starcraft time, besides pale kid seems to be on your level. Who knows, he might be the one.”

Baekhyun makes an offended face and just when he’s about to protest, Sehun’s voice interrupts them.

“Can I have his number?”






By the time they’ve reached Jongdae’s apartment, Baekhyun is still fuming. “Get out the alcohol. I need to wash away the bad taste in my mouth.”

Jongdae rolls his eyes. “You are not a sixteen year old Bieber fan. Let it go, or better yet, let me set you up with someone.”

“What kind of best friend are you?” Baekhyun rummages around the cabinets, getting out the shot glasses and the salt pretzels he knows Jongdae hides behind his spices.

“The kind that lets you sleep on his couch whenever his friend is on his period!” Jongdae yells back from his bedroom. He’s looking for a warm blanket for Baekhyun and the yellow pillow he prefers. He ponders for a brief moment and then picks out a pair of socks - Baekhyun had complained about cold feet in the elevator.

“If you are going to be like this then I get to choose the movie!”

Jongdae groans. “We are not watching Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles again!”

“Try to stop me.”

When Jongdae comes back to the living room, his arms full with blankets and pillows, he finds Baekhyun standing gleefully on his couch while holding the remote control in one hand and his favorite sweater in the other. He puts the blankets down and asks in a carefully controlled voice, “What are you doing?”

“My friend, I am going to give you the choice I never had.” Baekhyun states dramatically. “My movie or your sweater. Either we watch TNMT or I will wear your sweater. .”

Jongdae’s left eye starts to twitch and he cautiously walks towards his sofa and the demented lunatic he calls his best friend. “Let’s not do something drastic. Just put down my sweater and we can discuss movies.”

“What? What’s that you are saying? You want me to take off my pants first?”

Jongdae picks up one of the pillows and throws it at Baekhyun’s smirking face. “You know, I still have that video evidence of you dropping and spilling Kyungsoo’s homemade stew. Maybe it’s time to let him know who exactly was responsible for …” Before he can even finish his sentence Baekhyun flings himself at his back making them both fall onto the thick carpet. They wrestle for a few seconds until Baekhyun uses his hapkido advantage and pins Jongdae beneath him, trapping him between his legs.

“This look suits you. Defeated and at my mercy, you should wear it more often.”

“Get off me, you fat .” Jongdae pushes him away and sits up. “That was a low blow to threaten my sweater.”

“Well, I just had dinner with a date who thought that it was really a free ticket to foodland and to end my terrific night, he asked for your number. I deserve all the love. And TNMT.” He sits next to Jongdae and places his head on his shoulder.

“You know.” Baekhyun whispers, the soft sound filtering through the semi-lit room like candy wrapped secrets. As usual, they are more comfortable to speak their heart while the dark clouds the emotion in their eyes. “I am feeling a bit sad.”

Jongdae moves his shoulder to accommodate Baekhyun and gently pets his head. “Why? It was only one date.”

“Because I am getting tired of waiting. I want to find him. Or her.” He sighs, relaxing in the familiar presence of Jongdae.

They stay quiet for a while, many years of friendship cocooning them in silent understanding until Jongdae breaks the silence. “So, if I let you watch TNMT will you let me set you up on a date?”

Baekhyun answers by kicking his leg. “Fine.”

“Good, I will get the Soju and you can set up the movie. And the pretzels. I know you’ve found them.”

“Get your own pretzels.” Baekhyun gets up and arranges the blankets and pillows, wanting to create a movie-fort. It has been ages since they’ve done that and although Jongdae always complains about the mess, Baekhyun knows he secretly loves it.

Sure enough, Jongdae doesn’t disappoint when he comes back with the alcohol and loudly whines. “Whyyyyyyyy?”





16.21 PM
From: Cap Beagle
Classes are done. Drinks after work?

16.22 PM
To: Cap Beagle
Sorry. Plans already.

16.24 PM
From: Cap Beagle
U .

16.25 PM
To: Cap Beagle
I will (っ^▿^)

16.27 PM
From: Cap Beagle
r00d

Jongdae puts his phone away and tries not to feel abandoned. He introduced Baekhyun to Huang Zitao, a chinese exchange student that he had met during his political science course that he had taken for fun during the summer. Zitao, or Tao as he likes to be called, is an absolute sweetheart. A tough looking man with scary looking piercings but a cute personality seemed just the kind of guy Baekhyun would fall for.

And fall he did. Jongdae felt triumphant after the first couple of successful dates but now he’s starting to feel restless. Which makes no sense as he’s truly glad to see Baekhyun glow with happiness but the strange ache in his chest whenever his friend smiles brightly is starting to bother him.

17:05 PM
From: Baek Turtle
I hear you pouting through the texts.
Movie night tomorrow?

It’s silly how the idea of movie night immediately cheers him up and he quickly goes through his movies to make up a list. Some comedies, a drama and something completely juvenile that he will loathe but Baekhyun will love. And ‘Interview with a Vampire’ of course, that movie is the traditional end of every movie night. They have watched it so many times that they can quote the whole movie.

17:07 PM
To: Baek Turtle
No one could resist me. Not even you. Louis.

17:13 PM
From: Baek Turtle
I came to make peace with you, even though you are the father of lies.

btw, Tao wants to watch The Gladiator

17:14 PM
From: Baek Turtle
Isn’t that cute. I almost squealed. But I didn’t bc I’m a man.

Something stills inside Jongdae and he has to read the texts a couple of times to comprehend it. Jongdae and Baekhyun movie night just switched to Jongdae, Baekhyun and Tao movie night. Things are changing and Jongdae desperately wants to cling onto them and keep a part of Baekhyun to himself alone. No one but him has seen Baekhyun imitate Lestat in the early hours of the morning, when his eyes are heavy with sleep but nothing can temper his inner fire; when his voice sounds rough from singing SNSD songs and too much soju and yet his rasped words seem to be meant for Jongdae’s ears only.

He stares at the text a bit longer and feels inexplicably sad that from now on the words will be for Tao.






“When you said let’s have lunch together, you really meant let’s stalk your best friend’s date?”

“No, of course not.” Jongdae mumbles behind the menu.

Kyungsoo lowers the menu to stare at Jongdae with unblinking eyes. “Really? So, that are not Baekhyun and Tao in the corner over there?”

Jongdae glances at them quickly and hides behind his menu again. “Oh, I didn’t see them.”

“You are not telling me everything but I will have pulled it out of you by the end of lunch. By the way, you are paying.” Kyungsoo picks up his own menu again, suddenly feeling peckish for beef and making Jongdae’s wallet cry. Maybe he should go wild and order dessert as well.

After having placed their orders, Kyungsoo notices how uncharacteristically quiet his friend is and for the first time notices the unhealthy sharpness of his cheekbones and the dark circles under his eyes. “Are you ok?” Kyungsoo furrows his brows in concern. “You seem to have lost weight.”

“I’m fine. It’s busy working for professor Kim. You know how I am when stressed.”

Kyungsoo does not looks convinced. “Then why are we here?”

“To have lunch with you. Once I got over your psychotic stares, I found you pretty decent company.” Jongdae smiles, eyes crinkling at the corners and Kyungsoo almost believes him were it not for Jongdae’s longing glances at the table in the corner, looking like a sad kitten.

Kyungsoo sighs and decides to take pity on him when he spots Baekhyun make his way over to their table. He tries to give Jongdae a heads up by sending out intent signals with his eyes but it’s too late as Baekhyun already bounces up to them like an over-eager puppy, loudly announcing his presence.

“Kyungsooo!!!” It’s only the murderous look in his eyes and a timely extended arm that stops Baekhyun from slobbering all over him as a greeting.

“Hello Baekhyun. Nice to hear your vocal chords are working fine.”

“Are you calling me loud?” Baekhyun gasps and slips into a seat next to Kyungsoo. He’s about to poke one of his cheeks, trying to get him to squeal cutely before snapping at his fingers when he notices Jongdae across the table. He freezes with his finger in mid air.

Jongdae, who has been quiet, softly speaks up. “Hey, Baek.”

It’s interesting, Kyungsoo muses, to see how briskly Baekhyun changes his attitude around Jongdae. Normally he’s a bouncing ball of energy, a blazing supernova blasting a wide path of attention with his lively expressions and loud voice but whenever he’s around Jongdae his energy centers and becomes focused on his friend, like a moth to a flame.

But now something feels changed in their dynamics and the reason why is approaching them: Tao. He greets them politely, sitting himself down in a graceful yet powerful manner that Kyungsoo can only envy.

“Awww.” Baekhyun coos at him. “Were you getting lonely at our table?”

“Hyung!” Tao seems slightly mortified and Kyungsoo blinks, finding the sudden transition from cool mob boss to squishy bunny cute. “Why are you so embarrassing in front of your friends?”

Both Kyungsoo and Jongdae snort at the same time. “The real question is,” Kyungsoo’s deep voice drops even lower as if discussing a conspiracy, “When is he not?”

The loud laughter cannot drown out Baekhyun’s yells of indignation and cries of betrayal. “I always knew you were the spawn of Satan himself, Kyungsoo, but you,” Baekhyun points an accusing finger at Jongdae, “you sir with the most excessive amount of ugly sweaters, should hold your tongue.”

At the mention of his beloved sweaters Jongdae immediately turns dead serious. “You leave them out of this. My sweaters and your embarrassment shall never be put in the same sentence.”

“Really, you and your jumpers. They are ugly!” Baekhyun throws his hands in the air, in a clear practiced movement, stemming from an often repeated argument.

“They are beyond your understanding of funk.” Jongdae fires back easily.

“If funk equals ugly than I’m thankful I don’t understand.” Despite his words, Baekhyun seems the glow with mirth, clearly enjoying bickering with his best friend.

Jongdae, too, looks more alive, the excitement painting some color on his gaunt face and his eyes are dancing with buoyancy. “You were always bad with math, I agree.”

“At least I know fashion!”

“But does fashion know you?”

Baekhyun is almost out of his seat by now, the thrill of the game spurring him on to say something he might regret later. “Well, at least my boyfriend has style and looks.”

It’s like someone switched off the light inside Jongdae, the color in his face disappearing as quickly as it had come and lowering the shutters over his eyes, showing only a blank face with no emotions. “I guess, I got that right then? Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to get back to university and attend a staff meeting.”

He stands up abruptly to bid a hasty goodbye and leaves the restaurant before Baekhyun can say sorry. Baekhyun watches his best friend leave and not even Kyungsoo’s hard slap on his arm can dull his regret. Sorrow spreads in his chest, making the cold remorse strip his heart bare and chill him to the bone.

It’s only when he feels a comforting arm around him that Baekhyun realises Tao is still there.






“So, I heard you are off the dating market? How is that working out for you?” Park Chanyeol, forever polite, gives him a toothy grin and a shot of vodka which Baekhyun gratefully accepts.

“Chanyeol! I had no idea you would be here!” Baekhyun slaps him on the back - the universal bro code for ‘Whaddup, bro! Long time, no see and I kind of missed you - maybe’.

“Wouldn’t want to miss Luhan’s parties. They’re legendary.” Chanyeol holds out his palm for a high-five and then laughs maniacally when Baekhyun misses because he retracts his hand in the last second.

“So.” Chanyeol starts while craning his long neck as if looking for someone. “Where’s your better half?”

“Oh, Tao is over there taking pictures of the decorations.”

Chanyeol stops searching the room to give Baekhyun a funny look. “Tao? Who is Tao?”

“My boyfriend? We’ve been dating for 2 months now. You would know this if you’d actually read my blog.”

“You have a blog?” Chanyeol widens his eyes in mock surprise, flailing his arms around, almost knocking a guy in the face. As per usual, Chanyeol offers a gummy grin in apology and the guy gives a sympathetic nod to Baekhyun, an acknowledgment of his suffering. “What do you blog about? Your girly movie nights with Jongdae when you quote half of the movie and post selcas of your ?”

“I can’t believe you are allowed to roam freely amongst society. And don’t pretend you don’t know about my blog. You were my first subscriber and commented on my first posts with pics of all of your snapbacks.”

“Good times! Good times! But seriously now, where is your better half?” Chanyeol starts searching the crowd again. “It has been ages since I last saw that perky behind. “

This time it’s Baekhyun who’s bewildered. “What are you on about? Are you drunk already. I just told you. Tao is over there.” He points at his boyfriend, easily recognisable with his blond mohawk and leopard print outfit.

“See! He’s still taking pictures.”

“Dude. I thought you were kidding.” Chanyeol quiets down in surprise, his big eyes wide with shock.

“Why would I joke about my boyfriend?”

“Because I thought you were dating Jongdae!”

Baekhyun almost spits his drink all over Chanyeol. “You thought we were dating?”

“Well yes. All the cozy nights and your -like hate for his sweaters.” Chanyeol fiddles with the cap on his head, clearly uncomfortable with having a talk about feelings. “You know, the way you look at him and stuff.” He finishes rather lamely.

“Well, we are not.” Baekhyun huffs. “I still don’t understand how you could think we were dating but since I am so magnanimous, I will let it slide.” He waves his boyfriend over who has finally stopped filming. “Come on, you have to meet Tao. He’s amazing. Don’t dare to say weird to him.”

Tao grins widely at him over the sea of people and starts strutting his way towards them, looking very intimidating, a strong contrast to his earlier care bear smile. Chanyeol takes one look at him and places himself strategically behind Baekhyun, even stooping down a bit to make himself smaller in a sad attempt of hiding.

“What are you doing?” Baekhyun hisses from behind his besotted grin at his boyfriend. “I just told you not to pull your weird .”

“But he looks scary! And taller!”

Baekhyun kicks behind himself, gleeful when he hears a painful sound. “Find your balls. Tao is sweet and if you keep on acting strangely, then you might make him cry.”

Despite all their differences, Chanyeol and Tao get along surprisingly well. They are both collectors, appreciators of art and share a love for food and animals (not related to each other) and love posting on their instagram accounts. It’s not long after that they are sitting next to each other, heads bent over their phones and scrolling through their pics, laughing loudly about the funny ones and making appreciative sounds at the ones they like.

When Tao gets up to grab another drink, Chanyeol flings one of his long arms around Baekhyun to whisper loudly into his ear. “I like him, that Taozi-guy. You should keep him.”

Normally he doesn’t tolerate people in his personal space, only allowing Jongdae to clutch onto him, but he’s so happy about his friend’s approval that Baekhyun doesn’t mind Chanyeol clinging to him. “He’s amazing, right? And he even loves shopping!”

“Like I said, a keeper.” Chanyeol agrees easily. He offers another wide smile, then scratches his ear, a telltale sign that he’s nervous. “Hey, Baek?” he starts hesitatingly. “Would you mind if I asked Jongdae out on a date?”

“A date?”

Chanyeol nods eagerly.

“With my Jongdae?”

Chanyeol nods even more eagerly.

Baekhyun nibbles on his lips. He had not expected that question and he’s fighting every urge to rip Chanyeol apart, pee over his remaining parts and chant ‘mine, mine, mine, mine!’ when he realizes that it’s not his decision to make. “Sure, I can give you his number, but why him though? He’s picky about his social life, his food, his hobbies, his friends. Not to mention you’ll have to burn his sweaters and sandals.”

“He’s fun.” Chanyeol doesn’t seem very discouraged. “Also, he’s hot and has an that is made for my .”

Baekhyun is not a violent person by nature but in this moment he almost attempts to slap that smug smirk off his friend’s face and beat every vile thought he has about Jongdae out of his mind. Luckily for Chanyeol’s face, Tao returns with drinks, handing them out to all of them.

“Let’s toast.” Tao suggests, holding a pink cocktail with a tiny umbrella and still managing to look manly.

“To Candy! That she may finally understand how to poop into her litter box!” They all cheer loudly and down their shots, pretending not to notice that Tao has become a tad but emotional at the thought of his dog.

“To no longer being single!” Baekhyun and Tao share a quick, sweet kiss, ignoring Chanyeol’s monkey noises in the background.

“To finally getting Jongdae’s number!” Tao is the only one with his glass up as Baekhyun has dropped his own to launch himself at a cackling Chanyeol, all the while screaming murder and other battle cries in honor of Jongdae.

Chanyeol wins the roughhouse battle, so as the loser Baekhyun has to get the next round of drinks.

“Are you serious about Jongdae?” Tao can’t help being curious and if he’s honest, he’d be a lot more relaxed knowing that his boyfriend’s best friend was dating too.

“I would but it’s a lost case either way.”

Tao raises a questioning eyebrow, but Chanyeol just slaps his back and gives him a knowing look. “And if you’re honest then you know what I mean, too. Jongdae would never be truly mine.”

Both stay silent for a moment but the unspoken words hang between them like a wall - ‘just like Baekhyun will never be completely yours.’






When Baekhyun arrives at the Indian restaurant Tao is not there yet, but he doesn’t mind as it gives him some time to think and unwind. Waiting at the bar, he enjoys a cool beer while his thoughts drift mindlessly from things that happened at work to his caring boyfriend. These couple of months have felt like Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream. He really should thank Jongdae for introducing him to Tao but then he would have to see and speak to his best friend, so Baekhyun stomps down hard on that thought, burying it deeply with all the other unwanted feelings.

Like memories of movie forts, kitten smiles and warm eyes or how he misses Jongdae’s apartment and the smell of something close to home. He quickly steers his thoughts away from his friend and contemplates if it would be too soon to go on a small trip with Tao. He had always fantasized about it with Jongdae, wanting to do a roadtrip and now - his mind reels to a stop and he forces himself to think about last night and all the sweet words that Tao had whispered into his ear.

A soft kiss on his forehead wakes him up from his daydreaming and Tao’s handsome face fills his view. Tao looks as fashionable as always but Baekhyun detects a certain unease just underneath that leather coat he’s wearing. Reasoning that he’s probably just tired Baekhyun quickly leaps from his chair, wanting to take care of him and greets him with a kiss before interlacing their hands.

Tao chuckles lightly. “I’m still laughing over the fact that you need to stand on your toes to kiss me.”

“Brute.” Baekhyun retaliates but there’s no real bite behind his snark and he slowly guides them to their table, fully ready to enjoy a romantic dinner with his boyfriend.

He ushers Tao into a booth and excitedly shows him the menu. “Look! They have your favorite. Thai curry shrimps!” Baekhyun rattles on happily, missing the sudden, disappointed look flashing behind Tao’s eyes. “We can order naan bread and maybe we try the local beer. Didn’t you say last time that you wanted to try it?”

It’s only when Tao stays silent that Baekhyun realises his mistake. Thai curry shrimp is his favorite and how could he not remember that his boyfriend never drinks beer.

He blushes and hides his face in his napkin. “I’m sorry, Tao. I am just. Nevermind. Let’s order a bottle of wine and go home early. We can have on your new carpet and cuddle afterwards.”

“Actually.” Tao interrupts him. “I wanted to talk with you about something important.”

There it is again, the cold feel of dread coiling around in his stomach, so Baekhyun shoves the feeling away. “No,” he says. “No, we don’t need to talk about anything at all.”

Tao’s whole body seems harsh and unyielding, his face beautiful in its severity. “We must, Baekhyun.”

“Please,” Baekhyun pleads, almost in tears. “Let’s not do this now. We both had a long day.”

“But don’t you see, hyung? You are miserable and Baekhyun, I love you.” Tao’s eyes are shining with unshed tears and for one irrational second Baekhyun feels irritated that Tao looks like a manga price while his face probably resembles leftover lunch at school (bloated, runny and rejected). “I love you enough to want you to be truly happy and I think it’s time that we are honest with each other.”

“What do you mean?” Baekhyun tries not to squeak but the feeling of panic is almost overwhelming and he has trouble staying still and ignore his instinct to just bolt. Run as hard as he can and not face the meaning behind the words, to keep himself safe within his half-truths.

Tao sighs, a defeated look on his face and he picks up his wine glass. The flicker of a lit candle nearby reflects the crystal, creating little specks of light on his face. They are deepening the lines around his eyes, making shadows that tell of a foreboding truth Baekhyun is not yet ready to hear but when Tao utters just one thing he knows that it is over.

“Jongdae.”






It’s cold inside his car but he doesn’t feel it, just like the tears that are rolling down his cheeks. Baekhyun has been hiding for hours now, parked right in front of Jongdae’s apartment. He knows he’s home right now as he can recite his schedule by heart. Also, there’s light shining through the windows, creating moving silhouettes. Shifting shadows catching Baekhyun’s breath every time they stir because it’s Jongdae. He realizes what it means now, the constant tug and pull at his heart. Home is where Jongdae is.

He keeps staring at the windows, wanting so badly to go up and be close to Jongdae. Wanting to hear his voice, the melodic reassurement of something that resonates deep inside of him. Something that has always been there but which Baekhyun has always run away from.

He has run away from the overwhelming feelings. A fear of this all-consuming want to be close and lose himself so completely in Jongdae until only flicks of himself remain, scattered all over the earth. But now the idea of losing Jongdae is far, far worse than giving up a part of himself

He’s standing at a crossroad and he knows that he has to make a choice. Or rather, he has to dare to face his fears because when it comes to Jongdae there never really has been a choice. He suspects that Jongdae knows this too, he has always been the smart one.

His hands are clammy with cold sweat so when his phone beeps, it takes several clumsy attempts to open the text.
And then he drops his phone.


21.06 PM
From: Cap Beagle
The door is open.





He can hear him come in but Jongdae refuses to turn around and look like an eager pet, happy that his master is home. He stays firmly seated on his sofa, intently staring at his television while viciously chewing a snack.

The silence drags on. It’s not awkward, it’s never awkward between them but it’s between them.

“I’m home, Lestat.”

Jongdae freezes and turns around slowly. Baekhyun is still standing in the doorway, for once looking hesitant and smaller than he really is. It has been too long since he has last seen him and Jongdae eagerly drinks in all the details. The color of his auburn hair, the slope of his nose and the curve of his ear. The air is crackling with tension, both hyper aware of the other in a way that is completely new and exciting.

“It’s about time.” Jongdae spreads his arms and Baekhyun doesn’t hesitate for a second to run straight into the warmth.

They hold each other for a long time, locked in a silent embrace.

“Should we talk?”

“Probably.” Jongdae mumbles in Baekhyun’s hair. “But we can do that later because first I need to kiss you.”

“Oh!” Baekhyun feels his face heat up in embarrassment or is it excitement, nervously his suddenly dry lips. He closes his eyes and tilts his face towards Jongdae, trying not to think about how he is about to kiss him. He puckers his lips, ready to get devoured when he hears a chuckle and a small kiss on his nose.

“Cute.” Jongdae repeats again and gives him another peck. Before Baekhyun can feel confused, Jongdae tightens his grip and presses their bodies even closer together to whisper into his ear. “Who said I wanted to kiss you on the lips?”

“Oohh.” Baekhyun coughs. “Well then, don’t let me stop you.” He brings up his hands and slightly pulls at Jongdae’s hair, somehow wanting to bite or scratch him and leave his claims all over Jongdae’s body. It’s funny how everything has changed and yet, it all feels so familiar so he’s not startled when Jongdae retaliates by pinching his before finally swooping in to kiss him hard on the mouth.

Kissing Jongdae is a trail of open-mouthed kisses along his collarbones, breathless moans stirring the fire in his belly and an almost feral desire of wanting but most of all, kissing Jongdae feels like home. That night the world could burn up into flames, it would not have mattered to them as their bodies found each other in a passionate chase of forever.






It’s kind of embarrassing how well they fit together. It has been five months since Tao and Baekhyun broke up and Baekhyun found the courage to jump and take a chance.

It hasn’t been easy, Jongdae and Baekhyun both being stubborn by nature made for some epic discussions already but on the other hand being together has been as simple as breathing. Each day they rediscover all those small things that they had forgotten (good and bad) but each day also brings new exciting things and slowly they build a foundation for a lasting love.

Baekhyun feels so happy, so obscenely happy that he’s scared how long it will last but Jongdae is always there, bringing with him warm back hugs and dimpled smiles to put his fears at ease. Jongae is happy too, mostly because Baekhyun lets him keep his sweaters if only because nothing gets him riled up as quickly as coming home and finding a demure looking Baekhyun in his bed wearing nothing except one of his sweaters.

When someone asks him about his relationship with Jongdae, Baekhyun will always give the same answers. “Nothing changed much. Except now we have . Lots of . Lots of awesome .”

Jongdae will agree and just adds, “He cries even more now that he meets my on a daily base.” This will lead to more snark, some underhanded hapkido moves and biting but it always ends with a steamy kiss and a promise to go home soon.





“Look! I got us couple sweaters! There are cats on them. Cats!”

Byun Baekhyun. Male. 23 year old. And forever cheesy about being Jongdae’s boyfriend.


“Can you put those sweaters away and come warm up my , please. Thank you.”

Kim Jongdae. Male. 23 years old. And forever Baekhyun’s.