Kiss The Night Away

Playing Pretend

 

Jongin had a routine. He wakes up. He eats. He showers. He gets dressed and then scurries into his car to drive to school. Once he drives past a couple of tall pine trees, he sees students gathered in the front of school holding signs and dressed in colorful gear. He rolls his eyes before finding a parking spot close to the school enterance. He gathers his belongings and turns off his car's engine, before he heads towards the enterance. 
 


"Hey man." Chanyeol says, as he creeps up from behind. "I forgot how chaotic everything and everyone is during election week." 
 


"I know." Jongin states, walking past a couple of cheerleaders supporting their fellow team captain, Yoona, gain possible votes. They're handed a couple of snacks on their way: a candy bar, a lollipop, and a donut. "Yum! Sugar for breakfast."
 


"I'm not complaining." Chanyeol snorts, giving Jongin a pat on the back. "I need as much sugar as I can to keep up with Byun Baekhyun. At least we didn't have to take care of our babies during the weekend... Baekhyun's probably pissed off right now."
 


"I mean, I would kill you too." Jongin replies, waving to someone, who called his name out on the hallway. "You kinda ditched him to take care of your baby alone."
 


"Don't act all innocent, Kim." Chanyeol replies. "You did the same thing to Kyungsoo."
 


"Yeah, but I actually feel bad about it." Jongin replies. "Unlike you, I actually like my partner. Whereas, you and Baek can't even seem to reach a common ground."
 


Jongin laughs, once he sees a figure approaching from the distance. "Speaking of your lovely partner-"
 


" you, Park Chanyeol." Baekhyun growls, looking furious as he holds the crying baby into his arms. With the baby in his right hand, Baekhyun hits Chanyeol's chest repeatedly with his empty hand. "You just had to go and dump this baby on me, when I specifically told you that I was busy."
 


"Ow! We had a game... Stop hitting me!" Chanyeol replies, attempting to flee from the scene. "Just ask Jong-"
 


"I'm leaving." Jongin replies, rolling his eyes. 
 


Despite Chanyeol's constant begging for him to stay, Jongin leaves anyways and heads towards the garden, hoping that a certain someone would be there. On his way, he feels a tap on his shoulder. When he turns around, he sees Lay with a bright smile on his face, holding out a platter full of homemade cookies. "Cookie?"
 


"Are you going to force me to vote someone if I take one?" Jongin laughs, hesistantly taking a cookie. 
 


Lay only laughs. "These aren't for the campaign. They're for yearbook. We're having a potluck today so I figured I would bake some cookies. You know how much I love to bake."
 


Jongin takes a bite of the cookie and smiles. "Of course."
 


"So." Lay starts, watching as Jongin consumes the cookie. "I'm having a dance recital tomorrow and was hoping you could come? We're still having dinner tomorrow right? For my birthday? You did remember right?"
 


"Yeah." Jongin lies. "I'll pick you up at 5."
 


Kyungsoo never came to school that day. He found this quite strange, because Kyungsoo was never absent. At least that was what Jongin thought. Kyungsoo just seemed like one of the few people that liked going to school. Jongin shrugged his shoulders. Kyungsoo's probably going to be there tomorrow, Jongin figures. 
 


To Jongin's suprise, Kyungsoo never came to school the following day either! He wanted to ask the latter if he was okay, but he remembered that he didn't have any possible way to reach him. Jongin didn't have his phone number. And Jongin didn't even know where Kyungsoo lived. It seemed like there was still alot that he didn't know about Kyungsoo.
 


Practice had just ended when Jongin's phone suddenly begins to ring. Immediately he picks it up and places the phone next to his ear. "What's up?"
 


"Where are you?" Jongin hears Sehun say. "Aren't you coming to the after party to celebrate the football teams win? We're all waiting for you."
 


"I can't." Jongin replies. "I'm having dinner with Lay this evening. It's his birthday after all-"
 


"Lay?" Sehun repeats. "You're ex-boyfriend, Lay? Why are you having dinner with him? Are you guys back together again? Jongin, you know-"
 


"I told you. It's his birthday."
 


"Okay whatever."
 


-


 
"You made it." Lay smiles, as he nears Jongin, who was dressed in a semi-formal attire. Lay's dance ricital had just ended and he was glad that Jongin was able to watch him perform, like the good old days. "I didn't think you would actually show up."
 


"Well, I did promise you dinner." Jongin replies, holding the passenger car door open for Lay to get inside. "Let's go? I already made dinner reservations."


 
"Okay!"


 
-


 
Baekhyun hated parties, especially when these so called parties involved drugs and alcohol. Despite his socialite character, Baekyun felt uncomfortable spending the night partying with drunk students, whom he called his friends. Sometimes, Baekhyun just wanted to be alone and spend the night under the sheets of his bed, reading a long romance novel.
 


The party was basically a celebration of the football teams' win against their rival school. If it wasn't for his boyfriend, Baekhyun would've ditched it along time ago but since he couldn't, Baekhyun choose to isolate himself in an empty bathroom inside of the house. To make things worst, Baekhyun was stuck with the baby for the night. It was pretty relaxing, Baekhyun had to admit, as he sat criss crossed ontop of bath tub and calmly read an old Rolling Stone's magazine. 
 


"What are you doing here?" Baekhyun hears a voice, causing him to be startled and turn around to find Chanyeol eyeing him. 
 


Baekhyun lets out a sigh of relief, thankful that it was just Chanyeol that had walked in. ", you scared me. You could've at least knocked."
 


"Well you should've locked the door." Chanyeol replies, taking a seat ontop of the toilet seat. 
 


"What do you think you're doing here?" Baekhyun groans. "Leave!" 
 


"Shouldn't I be the one asking you that question?" Chanyeol replies, casually crossing his legs as he stares at the latter sitting down on the bath-tub. "What are you doing here? Alone for that matter?
 


"I just... just wanted to be alone." Baekhyun replies. "This party isn't really my thing."
 


"Oh? And I suppose hiding inside someone's bathroom is your thing?" Chanyeol raises an eyebrow. When he recieves nothing in return, -not even a spiteful comment - Chanyeol continues to press Baekhyun's buttons. "Parties aren't your thing? That's funny considering the fact that you attend one all the time!"


 
"I only come because Jongdae wants to." Baekhyun replies, lowering his head. 
 


Chanyeol sighs. "So why aren't you with him?"
 


"We got into a fight." 
 


"When do you guys not fight?" Chanyeol replies, sarcastically. He finds their baby and takes it into his arm. He plays with it gently as he waits for Baekhyun to explain the situation. 
 


"Why do you ask so much questions?" Baekhyun replies, rolling his eyes. "I'm fine by myself. So you can leave now!"
 


"Really? Because I think you actually want me here."
 


"And why would you think that-"
 


"Well it's been approxiamtely 10 minutes and if you really wanted me to leave, you wouldn't even be talking to me. Plus seeing how you didn't even lock the door, it seems as though as you were looking for company." Chanyeol replies, watching as Baekhyun bites his bottom lip. He stands up and mkaes his way into the tub with Baekhyun. When he's seated, he beckons Baekhyun to talk. "Talk. I'll listen."
 


In the time being, Chanyeol listened as Baekhyun explained everything. From what went wrong during Baekhyun and Jongdae's big fight to Jongdae ignoring him during the party. To Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Jongdae's relationship didn't sound like a normal, healthy one. He wanted to question Baekhyun why he didn't just break up with Jongdae, if he was so unhappy but Chanyeol didn't dare to speak, as he figured it would only upset Baekhyun even more. 
 


"I just feel like Jongdae doesn't care about me. All he cares about is his popularity." Baekhyun says, resting his head ontop of Chanyeol's shoulder. With his head rested ontop of Chanyeol's shoulder, Baekhyun found comfort. "For once, I just want someone to worry about losing me."
 


He didn't know what had gotten into him, but Chanyeol was able to relate to Baekhyun's worries. Growing up with working parents that were constantly away on buisness trips made Chanyeol lonely for most of his childhood. He didn't have much friends nor did he have a father figure to look up too. He didn't have a special bond with his parents like other teens and felt as though they didn't really care about him. 
 


"One time, I went to the emergency room because I sprained my ankle playing basketball." Chanyeol recalls, as Baekhyun laid his head on top of Chanyeol's shoulder. He lets out a bitter laugh before he continues. "The doctor called my parents but both of them didn't show up."
 


"Why didn't they?"
 


"They had plans." Chanyeol remembers. "My dad was meeting with the board of directors while my mother was flying out to America to attend a conference. So instead they sent a nanny to look after me. I was so mad that I ran away from home and stayed at Jongin's house."
 


"How about now? Do you still talk to them?"
 


Chanyeol shakes his head. "No. I moved out when I had enough money to do so."
 


"I guess we're both pretty lonely." Baekhyun says. "Listen, I-"
 


Before Baekhyun has a chance to finish his sentence, Chanyeol leans in a presses a kiss ontop of Baekhyun's lips. It takes a while for Baekhyun to realize what was happening but when he did, Baekhyun felt himself unable to push Chanyeol away. As the kiss progressed, Baekhyun was able to recognize the taste of alcohol. Chanyeol's probably drunk, Baekhyun figures. It was just a drunken kiss.
 


That's all. Nothing more. 
 


-
 


Dinner was as awkward as Jongin had expected. I mean, having dinner with an ex-boyfriend did sound horrible and totally boring. But seeing how Lay was trying to make an effort in trying to reconnect with him, Jongin tried to enjoy himself. I was Lay's birthday after all. Jongin should at least try to look like he was having fun. 
 


"And so I had to room with this guy, who just talked to me the whole night during the competition." Lay complains, as he tells Jongin the story of what went on during his latest dance competition in Iowa. "I couldn't even sleep that night! I swear he was trying to sabotage me." 
 


"And yet you still won 1st place." Jongin replies. "That's quite an achievement."
 


Lay laughs slightly. "You always did know how to calm me down. Even before-"
 


"Let's not talk about the past."
 


"I miss you."
 


"You cheated on me." Jongin accuses. "And that's why we can't get back together."
 


"I didn't." Lay replies, reaching over the table to reach Jongin's hand, but fails when Jongin realizes what he was about to do and instead retracts his arm. This causes Lay to sigh. "I didn't cheat on you."
 


Jongin gulps down his glass of water. He feels tired and annoyed about the fact that up to this day, Lay still wasn't able to confess the truth. "You moved to Australia and found someone else, Lay. I don't even know why you came back in the first place-"
 


"For you! I came back because of you! I love you, Jongin! I still do." Lay replies, almost begging for Jongin to believe in him.  "And I know you still love me too."
 


"It was the past-"
 


"I'm not here to talk about the past." Lay says. "I'm here to discuss the present. I miss you, Jongin. Don't you miss me too? Can't we go back to the days when everyone wanted to have a relationship like ours?"
 


"When you would come to my dance ricitals and hand me flowers that would make all the other dancers envious of our relationship. I want that back. I want you back-"
 


"You don't want me. You want a relationship to make yourself feel superior. You want to brag to your so-called friends that you have a boyfriend wrapped around that tiny little finger of yours." "I know you, Lay. You're not as innocent as you play yourself out to be... So stop giving me this ing bull about getting back together."
 


"Oh hush." Lay says, rolling his eyes. "You knew excatly what you were getting yourself into when you dated me. You wanted to be together so that you're parents would stop trying to bug you and show your lovely parents that you had the capabilities to the successor of the company. I mean, dating me was a good buisness strategy. We did get your family our of debt. Don't act like you forgot."
 


"Well newsflash to you, I don't want to be the successor anymore. I'm done." Jongin sighs. "I'm sick and tired of trying to be nice to you. It's you're birthday so I tried to make an effort to being friends, but you're never going to change! We're over."
 


"We're not over, Jongin." Lay scoffs, watching as Jongin stands up from his seat. "We're never going to be over."
 


A/N: Yeah, Lay's not such as good guy here.