FINAL

Dear Luhan

The smell of freshly brewed coffee wafted throughout the four corners of the quiet abode, alongside the scent of the newly printed newspaper. A ting was heard and Luhan immediately caught the now toasted bread, as yet another aroma filled his nose. He placed it on a plate and walked towards the dining table. He sighed. Another day to enjoy breakfast alone.

Luhan usually enjoys his cup of coffee and a piece of toast bread with his grandpa, who also enjoys his own cup of milk. Grandpa Lu Han, to whom Luhan was named after, died three days ago. He was so dear to Luhan. He had always been there for him since he was a kid. As Luhan grew up and matured, his grandfather was the one standing beside him, prepared to help him up every time he’ll fall. It was always him who protects, guides, disciplines, and takes care of Luhan. He was the one who taught Luhan to be strong. To be wise. To be kind. To be whoever Luhan is now, a fine young man loved and adored by everyone.

The memories of his grandpa were as clear as crystals. He remembered how his grandpa bugged him to go and find a girl to love. Luhan would always laugh and shake his head, saying, “I’m not yet ready for that, grandpa.” But now that Luhan was almost ready, his grandpa was no longer living.

How he wished his grandpa could live a little longer to be there for him when he feels down. To listen to his love stories. To congratulate him as he waits for his one true love by the altar. To guide him as he starts his own family. Just simply stay with him, by him, for him for a little while. But that was no longer possible.

As Luhan sipped on his cup, his eyes landed on that blue box resting on the shelf. He stood up and walked towards it. It looked awfully familiar for him. It was the box that his grandpa considers as his most treasured possession. It was so valuable to him that even on his last days, he was clutching it tightly to his chest.

 

"Xiao Lu," Luhan noticed the weakness in his grandfather's voice as he called him by the very nickname he had made for Luhan.

"Yes, grandpa?"

His grandpa unsteadily reached out his hand and held Luhan's. How much Luhan wanted to break down and cry his heart out but he knew he shouldn't. He had to show to Grandpa Lu that Xiao Lu will be okay. That Xiao Lu will be strong.

Grandpa Lu smiled faintly at Luhan, eyes were still as sparkling as before. "Always remember that in love, nothing is wrong."

Luhan, by then, never understood what his grandpa had said but nonetheless, he replied, "Yes, grandpa."

 

Tiny circles of darker shade of blue appeared on the box. That was when Luhan realized he was crying. He wiped away the fresh tears before walking back to the table, the blue box in his tiny hands. He lifted the lid and found tons of folded papers of different colors. He opened one and was astonished greatly by what was written. It wasn't Chinese but rather, Korean.

"I never knew Grandpa knew Korean.", he mumbled to his self as he tried reading what the letter was about.

Having fond of Korea and its music and culture, Luhan had somehow learned how to read few Hangeul but never understands them.

Luhan took a good look at each letter and he realized all had "오세훈" written. As he took out each paper, they were getting more and more familiar. Then he remembered. These were the letters that Grandpa had always looked forward to every week.

Luhan can't help but chuckle as memories of his grandpa nagging him about the mailman dropping by to give a letter for him started playing in his mind.

 

"Xiao Lu," he heard the faint, slow footsteps of his grandpa.

Luhan instantaneously ran towards the old man and assisted him. "Yes, Grandpa?"

"Did Yixing drop by for my letter already?"

Luhan shook his head, "Not yet, Grandpa."

"What did you say, Xiao Lu? I can't hear you."

Luhan assisted him in sitting on the chair before repeating, "Mr. Zhang had not dropped by yet, grandpa."

Luhan saw his grandfather pouting and Luhan laughed heartily. He was seeing his self in his old man and there was no doubt, he was his grandson.

"Just wa--", the doorbell interrupted Luhan.

Grandpa Lu stood up excitedly upon hearing the doorbell which caused Luhan to initiate his reflex and instantly threw his arms around the old man.

"Grandpa! Be careful!"

"I got to go to the door. It might be Yixing bringing my letter.", with Luhan assisting him, Grandpa Lu walked a little faster than normal towards the door.

And as if the Heavens have heard Grandpa Lu's prayers, Mr. Zhang's smile greeted them as they opened the door.

"Good morning. I see you're so lively today, Mr. Lu.", Mr. Zhang greeted them, slightly bowing as a sign of respect.

Luhan slightly bowed in return and greeted him back.

Grandpa Lu smiled and laughed a little, "There's nothing that we should be unhappy about, Yixing. Thank God for another day, eh?"

Yixing just nodded and smiled. "And I have something that might just make your day even better, Mr. Lu."

Yixing searched through his bag full of envelopes and took one long white one out and handed to Grandpa Lu. He happily took it from Yixing's hands and voiced a 'thank you' before walking to the living room unassisted. Luhan thanked Yixing before closing the door and followed his grandpa. He saw him sitting on his rocking chair, silently reading the letter that he just got. A warm smile found its way on Grandpa Lu's wrinkled face and hugged the letter tightly to his chest.

 

Luhan had always wondered who was sending letters to his Grandpa and to whom his Grandpa is sending his replies. Now, he wondered if this certain Oh Sehun, as he read the Hangeul letters, was the letter sender. Maybe he's grandpa's best pal.

But there was something about the letter that somehow Luhan wanted to find out. He wanted to find out what the letter said and what made his Grandpa Lu so happy every time he receives the letter. What made his Grandpa Lu smile and treasure those letters so much, till his last breath.

---

After two months of daily Korean classes, Luhan had finally mastered the Korean language, thanks to those Korean dramas that he watched every night after an arduous day from work to help him improve his grammar. He had not touched the letters ever since and now that he's confident enough to read and comprehend each word, he went to get the now-dusty blue box. He blew the dirt away and lifted the lid. He took out the oldest looking one and he was, again, surprised, for the second time around, when he started reading.

 

July 26, 1955


Dear Luhan,

How have you been, my love? I miss you so much. I'm so sorry I was not able to fight for you. For us. For our love.

 

Luhan paused, wondering. Who is this Oh Sehun?

 

Lulu, we just fell in love. What is so wrong with that? Is it because we're both men?

 

Luhan gasped and dropped the letter from his hand. He could not believe it! His grandfather was actually in love with another guy. It's not that he despised or was disgusted with homouals but it was just a great surprise for him. He clearly remembered how his Grandpa Lu always say he's manly when Luhan always commented about how Grandpa Lu looked so feminine from his old pictures. He never knew. He never expected. Never did.

Realizing what he had just done, he stooped down and picked up the letter. He continued.

 

But what seems so wrong? We're just human, after all. And don't we have the right to love whoever our heart chooses to?

Luhannie, I'm in pain. I want so much to see you, hug you, and kiss you. Just be with you. And I hate how everyone begs to disagree, saying this love is foolish. This love is a sin. But isn't love the most righteous? The most sacred? And isn't our love true? How could they judge us as if we just had committed murder?

 

Luhan's heart twitched in pain. Grandpa must have gone through so much pain.

 

Luhan, please always remember that I love you and I always will love you. Please don't forget to remember me because I will never, ever forget about you. Till then, my love.

With love,
Oh Sehun

 

He felt his cheeks got wet and realized tears were falling nonstop. He had never expected that these letters would turn out love letters. And not just ordinary love letters but love letters coming from both guys who fell in love with each other.

Instead of feeling disgusted, Luhan pitied yet admired the special love story his grandpa and this certain Oh Sehun had. He knew it was for real. He knew it was true love. How sublime love is.

 

April 20, 1957


Dear Luhan,

It is your 27th birthday, my love! Happy, happy birthday! Oh, how I wish I was there by your side to greet you personally. I wish I was there to give you a present and maybe a hug or kiss or both.

I'm so sorry I couldn't be there to celebrate your most special day. But don't lose hope, Luhannie, one day, we will be together and when that time comes, no one will stop us. We would run far, far away and start anew. Just me and you.

I love you, my Luhan. Please never forget to remember me.

With love,
Oh Sehun

 

Luhan's heart ached as he read each letter that Grandpa Sehun had sent to Grandpa Lu. His words were so genuine. So pure. So full of love. Luhan knew the love that Grandpa Sehun had for his Grandpa was not something that could be easily burned to ashes and be carried away by the wind. It was something that would continually grow and remained true despite the time, distance, and morals which piled up and create a boundary between him and Grandpa Sehun.

 

April 17, 1958

Dear Luhan,

 

Hello, my love. Thank you for that wonderful card you’ve given me a few days ago for my birthday. I promise you, I’ll treasure and keep it with me forever.

 

Did you see the falling star last night, Lulu? Do you know what I wished for? I wished for you. To spend another day, another hour, another minute, even just another second with you. I miss you so much, my love and I don’t know what I should do to fill in this missing piece you left.

Sometimes, I can’t help but wonder…maybe I should not have confessed to you how I feel. Maybe I should not have said that I love you. Maybe I should have kept it a secret. And maybe then, I would still be holding you in my arms. Maybe then, I could have kept you here by my side.

I’m so sorry, Lulu. I was weak. I was not strong enough. I was not man enough to suppress what I was feeling and now, I put you into trouble. I’m very sorry, Lu. I just…I just love you so much and I tell you, this love is one that will go on forever.

Please hang on a little longer, my love. Please don’t give up. We can fight for this love, right? I love you so much. Don’t ever forget.

 

With love,

Oh Sehun

 

Luhan had never seen or read something as beautiful and as sincere as these letters. And he wondered why his grandpa and this Oh Sehun did not end up together. He tried looking for the answers from the other letters but Oh Sehun had not mentioned any reason for this.

 

And that one velvety paper, wrinkled with time, like the rest of the letters, broke Luhan’s heart to pieces.

 

 

December 26, 1962

 

Dear Luhan,

 

 

How’s my beloved Luhan? I’m sorry it took me a very long time to write you again another letter. Being married is not easy, especially if you’re not married with the one you truly love. It’s not that Soo Jung was really difficult to love. On the contrary, she really is easy to fall in love with. But I couldn’t. I tried but I couldn’t, Lu. I couldn’t love her because she’s not you. She’s not you, Lu.

 


Anyway, Soo Jung just gave birth to our first daughter and we named her Sulli. I would have named her after you if she was a ‘he’ but she turned out to be a girl. Well, you do look like a girl, my love. Haha. I can imagine you pouting at this letter right now. I’m just kidding, Lu. Please don’t get mad.

 

How about you? How about you and Zi Shan? How’s your son, Ziyu? I bet he has your good looks. Your doe eyes. Your thin, pink lips. Your porcelain skin. Your kind heart. I bet he looks as angelic as you, Lu.

 

Lu, I have to be honest. Every time I think of you and Zi Shan, I feel pain. It hurts. It hurts deeply. But I know you’re hurting as well. And I know Zi Shan is taking good care of you and I truly am thankful of her for that. Do not worry; Soo Jung is taking care of me, as well.

 

But Lu, I couldn’t help but think—what if it was you who’s taking care of me right now? What if it was me who’s there beside you, snuggling up closer to your chest instead of Zi Shan? What if it was you carrying our baby in your loving arms? What if it was you who I see first as I open my eyes in the morning? What if it was me who you see last just before you drift off to dreamland? What if it was just us in the end, Lu? I bet things would have been better. Much, much better.

 

Luhan, I miss you so much. Each night, I pray to God that these are all just a dream. That it’s not Soo Jung who’s with me or Zi Shan who’s with you. But us. You and me. But how could a reality be a dream and how could a dream be a reality? I wish I knew the answer, Lu, and by then, I would have had pulled you out of my dreams and take you into my reality.

 

I love you so much, Luhan. So much. I hope to see you again. Hug you again. Feel you again. Please don’t forget about me. Please don’t.

 

 

With love,

Oh Sehun

 

 

So Mr. Oh had gotten married, too.

 

 

Luhan placed back all the letters, except for the latest one, inside the box and held it tightly in between his hands. He took a good look at the last letter his Grandpa received and his eyes landed on the address written. That was when the lightbulb appeared on his head.

 

 

I’m going to Korea and find Mr. Oh Sehun.

 

 

---

 

 

Luhan stared one last time at the letter and then looked up towards the door. The address written on the piece of paper led him in front of this large wooden door painted in white with details in different shades of gray. Heaving a deep breath, Luhan pressed the door bell. A tall, brown-haired guy with stoic appearance, probably around Luhan’s age, came into sight as the door swung open. Luhan gulped, anxiety striking.

 

 

“May I help you?”, the said guy asked and his voice was no less as frosty as his appearance.

 

“He-hello.”, Luhan stuttered, slightly bowing down to show respect. “I-I’m just wondering if Mr. Oh Sehun lives here?”

 

The stranger looked at Luhan from head to toe, making Luhan feel even more uneasy, and raised an eyebrow at him. “You’re talking to him.”

 

Luhan’s eyebrows met in confusion. I must be in the wrong house.

 

“Oh, uhm, I’m sorry. Maybe I am in the wrong house. Sorry for the—”

 

Sehun cut him off. “I’m the only Oh Sehun in the neighborhood.”

 

“Oh. Uhm, but I’m pretty sure you’re not the Oh Sehun I’m looking for.”, Luhan bit his lips as he bowed down. “I’ll go ahead. I’m so sorry for disturbing.”

 

Luhan turned his back and mentally scolded his self. He look at the letter again as he took tiny steps away from the house. He was pretty sure he was on the right track.

 

“Wait.”, Luhan turned around and saw the same guy walking towards him.

 

“Are you looking for an older Oh Sehun?”, Luhan nodded.

 

Sehun’s stoic look softened. “You’re in the right place.”

 

“I am?”

 

Sehun nodded, “Come in.”

 

 

Luhan was puzzled but he followed the taller nonetheless. He was caught in awe as he stepped inside the young man’s house. It was surprisingly clean. He knew pretty well how messy guys are, except Luhan, himself. Luhan never liked seeing things dirty and unorganized. He was always clean. That was one of the many things his Grandpa Lu taught him. And boy, was he glad to meet someone who’s like him.

 

 

“Please sit down. I’ll go get you some tea.”, Luhan uttered thank you as he watched Sehun walking away.

 

 

Sehun came back not too soon and sat perpendicular to Luhan.

 

 

“Thank you.”, Luhan thanked when Sehun handed him his cup of tea.

 

“You’re welcome.”, Sehun nodded. “So, you’re looking for my grandfather?”

 

 

Oh, so he is Oh Sehun’s grandson.

 

 

“Yes. I would like to meet him, if that is okay.”, Luhan started. He put down the cup on the table and reached out his hand for a handshake. “I’m Luhan, by the way.”

 

Luhan saw the surprised look on Sehun when he mentioned his name. “Are you Mr. Lu Han’s grandson?”

 

He nodded. “And I assume you are Mr. Oh Sehun’s grandson, too.”

 

“Well, if you did not notice, I was named after him.”, Sehun let out a small smile and Luhan did not even know why his cheeks heated up.

 

“Likewise.”, Luhan cleared his throat, trying to eliminate that big lump on his throat. “Is Mr. Oh Sehun around?”

 

Sehun looked down and sighed. “My grandfather passed away 2 months ago.”

 

“Oh, I’m truly sorry.”, Luhan bit his lips. “My grandfather passed away 2 months ago, too.”

 

Sehun looked at Luhan, surprised. He chuckled, “Even on their death bed, their love was unbreakable.”

 

This time, it was Luhan who was flabbergasted. “You knew about all of it?”

 

Sehun nodded. “Grandpa always tells me how in love he is with your grandfather.”

 

 

Luhan let out a small smile. No wonder Grandpa treasured those letters so much. Treasured Grandpa Sehun so much.

 

 

“It never crossed his mind that their love was wrong. He never did. He always told me, in love, nothing is wrong.”

 

 

Luhan remembered one of his grandfather’s last few words. In love, nothing is wrong.

 

 

“Do you know everything about their love story? I’d really want to hear all about it.”, Luhan requested.

 

But instead of answering Luhan’s request, Sehun smiled and asked another thing. “Would you mind I take you out the whole day?”

 

Luhan was puzzled, “Huh?”

 

“Story telling is best when you’re on the right settings.”

 

“Oh,” Luhan now understood what Sehun was trying to say. With a smile, he answered, “Sure.”

 

 

---

 

 

Sehun brought Luhan to a park where their grandfathers usually met. Changes had been made but Sehun could still feel the memories his grandfather shared with Luhan’s grandfather. The feelings of eternal love were lingering as if their grandfathers were still there, showing their affection and love for one another.

 

 

“Your grandfather and grandpa met here. It’s actually a very unromantic scene.”, Sehun chuckled.

 

 

 

Sehun was strolling along the park when he saw someone running towards him on a fast speed. The latter was not even looking where he was going and so, his slim body crashed unto Sehun.

 

 

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry.”, the latter was apologizing to him in broken Korean.

 

“It’s o—” Sehun was cut off when he heard a loud bark from afar.

 

“Ahh! Coming! He! Coming!”, the smaller continually shouted.

 

 

Sehun was astounded when he grabbed Sehun’s hand and sped off, running away from the dog. Sehun looked at their clasped hand and soon, he felt his cheeks heat up. His heart raced. Sehun did not understand why. Sehun did not know if that was right. If what he was feeling was right. But this stranger was giving him feelings he could not decipher what.

 

Sehun tripped over his own foot when the stranger suddenly pulled him behind a bush and hid like a kid. The two panted real hard, trying to catch some air and stabilize their respiration. They peeked and saw the dog running away in a different direction. Sehun turned his head and saw the stranger heaving a sigh of relief. Sehun could not help himself but stare at, who he presume, one of God’s masterpiece. The stranger was beautiful—no, gorgeous, even. He was perfect in Sehun’s eyes and Sehun swore he saw butterflies and glitters sparkling around this piece of perfection sitting before him.

 

 The stranger turned to Sehun and Sehun blushed as he was caught off-guard. Sehun, like reflex, stood straight up and rubbed his nape bashfully. He heard the stranger giggled and stood up in front of him, too.

 

 

“Thank you.”, the stranger uttered in a different accent. “And I’m sorry for troubling you.”

 

“I-It’s nothing.” Sehun stuttered. “I’m Oh Sehun.”

 

Sehun’s heart sped up when the stranger’s hand made contact with his. And he knew, the warmth of his hand would linger for days in his hand, just like how the stranger’s name would repetitively roll off his tongue.

 

 

“I’m Luhan.”

 

 

 

Sehun looked at Luhan, amused by his cute laugh. And he did not even notice his lips curved into a small smile.

 

 

“That was funny.”

 

“You think so, too?”

 

Luhan nodded, his laugh was slowly dying down. “What happened after?”

 

 

Sehun leaned his arms behind him, supporting his body. They were sitting on the grassy part of the park, looking up the wide blue sky.

 

 

“They spent the whole day knowing each other. That was when grandpa knew your grandpa was Chinese descent. And well, grandpa did not actually believe in love at first sight before.”, Sehun paused.

 

He turned to Luhan and continued, “But when he met your grandfather, everything changed.”

 

 

 

Sehun anxiously paced back and forth while rubbing his hands together to get enough friction and heat. He was waiting for Luhan and on this day, he was finally going to proclaim his love for the older. He was scared. A guy having a relationship with a fellow guy had neither been accepted nor heard of before. If ever, in Sehun’s favor, Luhan had mutual feelings with him, then it will be a first in history.

 

Sehun never thought he would fall in love with a guy. He wondered whether it was the reason why his previous relationships with girls did not work out. Maybe because he was meant to be with a guy. Maybe because he was meant to be with Luhan.

 

Sehun, of course, tried to deny the fact that he has fallen for the Chinese. Who in the world will fall in love with someone of the same gender as them? On the year 1954, nobody was foolish enough. Nobody but Oh Sehun.

 

He never believed in love at first sight. He believed that one would only fall when one knows the other so well and falls for the other’s personality. Sees the good in the other. Accepts the bad in the other. But everything Sehun believed was grumbled down by a certain Chinese who goes by the name, Luhan.

 

 

“Sehun-ah!”, the anxious Sehun jerked when he heard Luhan’s melodious voice calling him.

 

 

Turning around, he flushed red as Luhan’s beauty glowed under the moonlight. Luhan was just perfectly stunning and beautiful. He had always been.

 

 

“Hyu-Hyung, hi.”, Sehun stammered.

 

Luhan stared confusedly at Sehun. He was wondering why the latter was so jumpy. “Are you feeling okay, Sehun?”

 

“Hu-huh? Oh, uhm, ye-yes hyung.”

 

“Why are you stuttering?”

 

“I-I-I…uhm…”, Sehun couldn’t find his courage to tell Luhan what his heart was screaming. His fear took over again. If only Luhan could hear it directly from his heart, then it would probably be much easier, Sehun thought.

 

“Hyung, I love you.”, he whispered, almost inaudible.

 

“Sehun-ah, I can’t hear you.”

 

 

Sehun looked up and Luhan was surprised to see tears flowing down his eyes.

 

 

“Sehun-ah! Why are you crying?”, Luhan brought his hand to Sehun’s face and wiped those tears away.

 

Sehun looked deeply in Luhan’s eyes, “Hyung, I’m in love with you.”

 

 

Sehun saw how astounded Luhan was and his heart broke. He knew Luhan did not feel the same way he did. He knew very well it was only a foolish one-sided love. But he just wanted to let the other know because if he didn’t, he might explode. His heart might burst.

 

 

“I-I-I know yo-you fe-feel disgusted with me right now and I-I u-understa-stand you mi-might g-go away. I-I-It’s o-o--Sehun was interrupted when something soft landed on his lips.

 

It took him a few seconds to realize it was Luhan’s very own pair landing on his lips, moving in a very slow and passionate way. Sehun stood there, shock, unable to process everything that was happening. Luhan detached himself from Sehun and stared at his surprised expression.

 

 

“I love you, too, Sehun-ah.”

 

 

 

Luhan felt warm on the insides. He had proven more to his self that he was right about Mr. Oh afterall. That, indeed, the older man had nothing but pure, genuine love for his grandfather.

 

“Your grandpa is so sweet.”, Luhan commented.

 

Sehun smiled, “Grandpa was deeply in love with your grandfather. He always was.”

 

 

Sehun sat on a bench on that same park where he met Luhan 3 months ago, waiting for him. Along with him was a guitar he specially bought for this day. It was their first week since they got together and Oh Sehun, being the sweet guy he always was, wanted it to be sweet for the only person who turned his world upside down.

 

Sehun was startled when his vision suddenly went black. He panicked a little not until he realized someone has just covered his eyes. As he felt those hands, he knew very well who owned them.

 

 

“Yah, hyung, I know it’s you.”, Sehun chuckled.

 

A pouting Luhan was the very first thing he saw and Sehun instantly felt he was in heaven to see such angel.

 

 

“You were supposed to be surprised.”, Luhan crossed his arms as he sat beside Sehun, who was staring at him the whole time. Luhan noticed this, “What? Is there something in my face?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“What? Can you take it off?”

 

“I can’t take off perfection.”

 

 

Luhan playfully hit Sehun’s arm as he looked away and covered his cherry red face. Sehun, amused, laughed heartily and removed Luhan’s hands from his face. He intertwined their hands secretly, trying to hide it from the people around them. Sehun continued to stare at Luhan’s perfect beauty as if he was born to do it for him to live and Luhan couldn’t keep calm from this gesture. His heart raced, pumping more and more blood to his panicking systems, most especially to his head, causing his cheeks to flush redder.

 

“Sehunnie,” the way his name roll off Luhan’s tongue pleased Sehun so much. “Stop staring.”

 

“I would if you stop being so perfect, too.”

 

 

That did not even calm Luhan down. Not. One. Bit.

 

 

“Ahh! Sehun!”, this time, Luhan pulled away from Sehun’s soft hands just to cover his face from embarrassment.

 

 

It was not because he disliked Sehun’s gesture. In fact, he was enjoying it, A LOT. It’s just that…Luhan was not used to such sweet talks. And hearing those straight from Sehun’s mouth couldn’t keep his galloping heart calm.

 

 

Sehun’s cute laugh made Luhan turn and look at him. And that made Luhan fall a little harder.

 

 

“Okay, okay. I’ll stop now, my love.”

 

 

Luhan’s doe eyes widened, jaw dropped.

“What? Did I say something wrong?”

 

“M-M-My l-l—“

 

“Is it wrong if I call you, my love? Don’t you like it?”, Sehun rubbed his nape  shyly. “I-I-It’s fi-fine with me if you don—“

 

“No!”, Luhan bit his lips. Cheeks were turning red again. “I love it, my love.

 

 

 

 

Luhan couldn’t help but smile. Their grandfathers surely had the sweetest love. It was so evident how deep Sehun’s grandfather was in love with his and how his grandfather feels exactly the same. It was extremely extraordinary yet in the most beautiful way.

 

 

“Your grandfather must be really in love with mine.”

 

Sehun nodded, “Yours as well.”

 

“Ah, I’ve got something to show you.”

 

Luhan showed Sehun the box containing all the treasured letters. “This contains all of the letters your grandpa sent through the years.”

 

“Grandpa had one box containing all of your grandfather’s letters, too. He always reads them every day.” Sehun took the box in his hand and smiled.

 

Luhan smiled at him back. “Believe me, grandpa always does, too. And you have no idea how much he bugs me about the mailman bringing his letters.”, he chuckled. “I had always wondered what’s with those letters that Grandpa always anticipates for those. Now I know.”

 

 

“How did you feel when you found out?”, Sehun suddenly asked, eyes were studying Luhan’s flawless face.

 

“Well…”, Luhan started and flexed his knees, hugging them. “I was surprised, of course. I did not expect it to be that way. I mean, Grandpa was always cheerful and we have a wonderful family. Grandpa never did show any signs of gloominess to me but he had always reminded me of how sublime love is.”

 

“Just like grandpa. He always told me that I should not be afraid of loving someone whether or not the world is against us. He always told me not to do the same mistake as he did.”

 

The two went silent for a while. It wasn’t awkward. In fact, it was a comfortable silence. Sehun and Luhan sat there silently as they tried to imagine the lives of their grandfathers.

 

Luhan was the one who chose to break the silence. “Why did they separate?”

 

“Your great grandparents found out. How they found out remained a mystery and an unsolved question.”, Sehun sighed.

 

 

 

“You are not to see or go near my son again!”, a clenched fist met Sehun’s face, throwing Sehun harshly unto the ground. “Stay away from Han!”

 

Blood was trickling down from the corner of Sehun’s lips. He stood up, neglecting his aching muscles. “But I love your son, sir.”

 

Another punch. “You both are guys, for Heaven’s sake! That is against the law!”

 

“With all due respect, Mr. Lu, but I certainly believe in love, there is no law.”

 

 

Mr. Lu, enraged, was ready to hit Sehun again but a hand stopped him.

 

 

“Luhan! Get away from him!”, Mr. Lu got even more furious when he saw how Luhan tried protecting the taller. “Luhan! Did you hear what I just said?”

 

“No, baba! You can’t take him away from me! I love him!”

 

Slap. “You’re such a disgrace to our family, Luhan. Do you even hear yourself right now?!”

 

“Yes, baba! And I know what I’m saying. I love him. I love him. I love Oh Sehun!”

 

 

Mr. Lu grabbed hold of Luhan’s arms harshly this time and took him away from Sehun. He pointed a finger at Sehun. Just before he left with Luhan trying to release himself from his tight grip, he threatened Sehun, “Stay away from Han.”

 

 

 

“From then on, both of them found a way to still communicate with each other and that is, through letters.”, Sehun finished another chapter with a smile. “Although sending letters during that time took an enormous amount of patience, they were both willing to wait.”

 

“That’s so sweet.”, Luhan mumbled to his self, admiring their love even more.

 

Sehun stared at Luhan, mesmerized at the latter’s beauty. He admired how flawless Luhan was. How thick his eyelashes were. How thin and pink his lips were. How much his doe eyes sparkle. Everything about Luhan seemed perfect. And Sehun couldn’t help but wonder whether his grandfather felt the same way as he did with Luhan’s grandfather.

 

Luhan looked up and met Sehun’s gaze. He didn’t know why neither can he explain why but he felt butterflies flapping their wings excitedly inside his guts. He had no idea whether what he was feeling was right but he knew what he was feeling was real.

 

It was Luhan who looked away first as he could no longer endure the heat in his cheeks, painting them red. Clearing his throat, “Yo-you…uhm…”

 

He cleared his throat again. “Your grandfather, well, he uhm, he mentioned in the letter he sent to grandpa about him being forced to marry someone.”

 

Sehun looked away, too, embarrassed and blushing. “Ye-yeah.” He cleared his throat as he stuttered. “He was forced to marry grandma.”

 

 

 

“Oh Sehun!”, Sehun could hear the anger boiling through his appa’s voice and he knew, he might have done something very, very wrong.

 

“What is it, ap—”, Sehun was stopped in his tracks, stunned, when he saw what his father had in his hands.

 

“Care to explain to me what the hell these are?”

 

Sehun bit his lips, trembled with fear.

 

“Are you in a relationship with a guy, Sehun?”

 

Sehun nodded as he softly uttered, “Yes, appa.”

 

“Goddamn it, Sehun!”, what Sehun’s dad did the next second terribly shattered his heart. His father had just ripped off some of Luhan’s letters. “What the hell are you thinking?! You’re a guy, for goodness’ sake!”

 

“Yes, I know appa but—”

 

“Don’t you tell me you love him, Sehun! That is definitely unheard of! Men are not to be in love with men!”

 

“I know that appa but I really do love him! I tried to stop it but—”

 

“There’s no more buts, Oh Sehun! You are not going to see that boy again!  You are never going out of your room! You are never going out of this house until the day you marry Soo Jung!”

 

“That boy has a name, appa. He is Luhan!”, Sehun defended. “And no, no matter what you’ll say, I won’t let him go. I will not marry Soo Jung!”

 

His appa was no longer able to contain his temper and ended up hitting Sehun straight in the jaw, throwing him harshly unto the ground. “You are going to marry Soo Jung! And that’s final!”

 

 

With a loud thud, his dad left his room angrily. Sehun’s tears, he did not know he was holding in all throughout, had poured out of his eyes like rain. His chest felt so hurt. He was in so much pain and he knew Luhan was the only one who could take it all away. He couldn’t imagine his life without him. Luhan was the source of his pain but he was also the only one who relieves it. And Sehun was more than willing to do anything just to be by his side.

 

And that’s when an idea hit Sehun.

 

He stood up from the floor, wiping the blood from the cut in his lower lip, and walked towards his table. He looked at the clock on his table. It read 7:30PM. He got 30 minutes more to compose a letter just before Jongin, his and Luhan’s friend, arrives to get the stuffs he would borrow from Sehun.

 

 

‘I’ll just ask Jongin to bring this letter to Luhan for me.’

 

 

With that idea in his mind, Sehun grabbed a pen and a piece of paper, and tried to think of what to say to Luhan after not having been able to write for a while.

 

 

Dear Luhan, he started scribbling.

 

It’s been quite awhile since the last time I sent you a letter, my love. I’m sorry; things had been hard for me lately. Well, it had always been hard for me, for us. But this time, it’s twice, maybe thrice, as hard.

 

 

Lulu, umma and appa want me to marry their friend’s daughter, Jung Soo Jung. She’s about the same age as me. I can’t deny; she’s pretty. She’s kind. She’s friendly. She’s every guy’s dream. Anybody would fall easily for her. Anybody but me, Lu. She might be everything everybody wanted but Lu, she’s not everything I wanted. I want you. You’re the only one I want to marry. You alone. Why can’t I just marry you?

 

 

Tears dropped one by one, creating darker marks on the stationary. Wiping his tears away, Sehun continued to write.

 

 

This might sound crazy, well I, most probably, am right now, but I want to runaway, Lu. Please, let’s go far, far away from them. Let’s stay somewhere, where no one would judge us for being truly in love with each other. Please, say you will, Lu. I never want to marry anyone but you. Let’s meet in our usual place at 3PM. I will be waiting, Lu. I love you and trust me, there’s only you.

 

 

With love,

Oh Sehun

 

 

 

Luhan held the very letter in his hands. He felt his eyes burn as they started to water.

 

“They must have been in so much pain.”, he whispered, a tear dropped.

 

Sehun brought his thumb to Luhan’s cheek and wiped it away. “I know.”

 

Luhan was taken aback with Sehun’s gesture and, like reflex, inched away from the taller. Sehun, too, had suddenly hit his mind with realization and mentally reprimanded himself of not being able to control his inner feelings.

 

“S-So,” Luhan stuttered. “Why didn’t they run away?”

 

“Your great grandfather was taking your grandfather back to China.”

 

Luhan gasped. “So that’s the reason why.”

 

Sehun nodded and sighed, “Gladly, Grandpa Jongin was still able to bring the letter to your grandpa and your grandpa instantly gave him their address in China, so grandpa would still be able to send him letters.”

 

“Fate weren’t completely against them afterall.”, Luhan commented as he sighed and looked up the blue skies.

 

Sehun nodded, the second time around, and smiled. “Yep. At least now, wherever they may be, they’re finally together.”

 

 

Luhan hummed in response. He finally got to know the whole story and he never regretted coming all the way to Korea just to hear it. It had been the most beautiful love story he has ever heard, way better than those fairytales and happily-ever-afters in Disney films. This was the real definition of true love and forever. His grandfather had proven to him that no matter what, no matter who you love, love is never wrong and that forever exists, as long as love continues to exist and strengthens. And for Luhan, that was the most beautiful lesson his grandfather Lu has ever taught him.

 

Luhan shifted his gaze to Sehun as he stood up, Sehun following him after, and bowed slightly before the latter.

 

 

“Thank you so much for sparing some of your precious time to share our grandfathers’ story. I’m sorry for causing you trouble.”

 

Sehun smiled and shook his head, “It’s okay. I never have much to do, too, anyway.”

 

“I’ll go ahead now.”, No, I don’t want to go. Yet. “Thank you again.”

 

 “Are you going back to China?”, Sehun inquired, hoping for Luhan to say no. Don’t go.

 

“Yes, my flight back to China would be at 5:30PM tomorrow. It’s nice meeting you, Oh Sehun.”, Luhan reached out his hand to shake with Sehun.

 

 

As Sehun’s hand made contact with Luhan’s, it ignited something deep within him and by that moment, he didn’t want to let go of Luhan’s hand.

 

 

“Nice meeting you, too, Luhan.”

 

 

Their hands remained attach for quite a long time before Luhan decided to break the shake. “Goodbye. See you again, perhaps?”

 

Sehun nodded, “See you.”

 

 

Luhan started to walk away from Sehun and all the taller could do was watch him from afar, battling with himself whether he should stop Luhan or not.

 

In love, nothing is wrong.

 

In love, nothing is wrong.

 

In love, nothing is wrong.

 

Don’t repeat the mistakes I’ve done before, Sehunnie.

 

 

“Luhan, wait!”, Luhan stopped in his tracks and saw Sehun running towards his direction.

 

 

His heart raced. His mind was processing. And Luhan hoped Sehun was going to stop him from leaving.

 

 

“Yes?”

 

Sehun rubbed the nape of his neck shyly, cheeks were turning crimson red. “Do you like bubbletea? Well, they’re my fa-fa-favorite and I was wondering wh-whether you’d la-like to…you..you know,  sta—stay for a while and ha-have a chat with me. No-Not talking about our grandfathers bu-but…just…well…”

 

 

Luhan giggled at Sehun’s cuteness. “Yes, I like bubbletea and yes, I’d like to know you more, too.”

 

Sehun’s eyes sparkled in delight. Luhan couldn’t be happier. He was glad he came to find answers and what he found was definitely more than what he was looking for in the first place. He found love, as he believed. And he thought, maybe the reason why their grandfathers did not end up together was for them to continue the love story their grandfathers had not finished. Maybe, the happily-ever-after ending their grandfathers did not have was passed on to them. And maybe, their grandfathers were right afterall.

 

 

In love, nothing is wrong.


i hope i gave justice to such wonderful prompt

words; 6974