Prolouge

Glitch

June 17th, 1994

 

The interrogation room was cool and damp, the walls made from rough gray stone. It was quiet, the only sound that of a person breathing, and metal clinking against metal. The room was barren save for a steel table in the center, a person on either side.

Seated on one side of the table, cuffs connecting him to the leg so he couldn’t escape, sat a graying man with a scraggly beard and tired eyes. Across from him was a man in his late twenties, dressed in a crisp cop uniform, his badge shining on his chest and a disgusted expression twisting his face.

“I’ll ask you one more time Mr. Lee. Where is your son?”

Memories flash around Mr. Lee’s head. An underground room, a supercomputer. His son.

“Are you ready kiddo?”

His son smiled brightly, bouncing around eagerly. “Of course appa. I was born ready.”

Mr. Lee chuckled and ruffled his hair. “Alright kiddo. Let’s go.”

“I told you.” The man croaked out, voice shot. “He’s gone. If you would just let me go, I could go back, try to get him-”

“How about you just tell us where you hid the body?”

Are you in?”

“I’m in! Appa, it worked, it really worked!”

“Very good son. Now, let’s get you back.”

“Awh, already?”

“I didn’t... I would never kill him. It was an accident, he can still be saved, please, I love my son, let me help him, let me find him.”

“We want to find him too Mr. Lee. But you need to tell us where he is first.”

“Appa, what’s going on?”

“Nothing son, it’s just taking a bit longer to get you back than expected.”

“Appa, something’s wrong. Appa, what’s going on? Appa, help!”

The screen went fuzzy, his son’s pleas lost to the static.

“I’m trying son.” He cried, fingers madly flying across the keyboard. The screen flickred and froze, and Mr. Lee let out a strangled cry.

“What have I done?”

“Aerok! He’s in Aerok! I already told you!”

Error: connection lost.

The officer sighed and left the room, pinching the bridge of his nose between his fingers.

“Sir. He’s rambling again, making no sense. I don’t think we’re going to get any more out of him.” The other officers looked through the one way mirror into the room, watching as the man sobbed into his hands.

“It’s too bad this happened. He was such a promising scientist. And his little boy was so nice. I wonder what made him go off the rocker and do such a thing?”

“That’s what we all want to know chief.” The interrogator sighed.

 

------

Very short, I know, but this is just meant to provide a bit of background information.

Thanks for reading and please comment ^-^