Happy New Year

Unknowing of the new year

Luhan sighed as he stared at the screen if his laptop blankly, barely listening to the host on the TV rambling on about what had happened during the past year. It was New Year's eve, and Luhan was celebrating alone for the first time since his high-school years. 

 

He had been a very lonely kid in high-school, having just transferred down to South-Korea from China to escape his family whom hated him for being... well him. 

 

He had transferred together with his best friend Yixing, but unfortunately, his buddy soon had to return home because of family-issues and would only return a few years later when they both entered university. 

Between the short visits back to China, Luhan was always alone, bundled up alone in his apartment and sinking deeper and deeper into depression, barely doing anything except sleeping, eating and studying. He even considered committing suicide on multiple occasions, but the he thought of Yixing and how sad the other would be if he died. And so, Luhan had lived on. 

 

That's when Minseok had entered his life. The other boy had randomly approached him during lunch in their second year of high-school, offering Luhan some of his own lunch when he noticed that Luhan didn't have one. Luhan had been completely flabbergasted and had immediately fled the scene, locking himself in the boy's bathroom until he had to go to class. The only problem had been that when he finally got to class, he realized that he had left his bag in the cafeteria and then had to borrow a pencil from the guy sitting next to him. 

Imagine his surprise when he had realized that the guy smiling gently at him from the seat next to him was Minseok, dangling Luhan's bag from his index-finger. 

 

Ever since that day, Minseok had taken it upon himself to look after Luhan and keep him company at any given moment, even following the other home to his apartment on their third day together. Only weeks later, Luhan pretty much lived in Minseok's apartment, and only months later did Minseok ask Luhan to become his boyfriend. Luhan accepted, of course, and immediately moved in with Minseok. Both entered university a year later, and the rest is history. 

 

Ever since the day Luhan met Minseok, he had never had celebrate a holiday alone. Whether it was Valentine's day or Christmas, everything was celebrated together as a couple. Unfortunately, the pattern was broken this very year when Minseok had to go visit his family, leaving Luhan to celebrate alone in their way-too-big-for-one-person apartment. Luhan loved their apartment, he really did, but having a big and luxurious apartment when you're on your own won't wipe your tears. He also loved Minseok's family dearly for paying for their apartment and for accepting their relationship right away, but right now he hated them for robbing him of his boyfriend on a holiday like this. 

 

 

 

Luhan opened his eyen, not even remembering that he had closed them in the first place, only to press himself back into the couch in fright when he realized somebody's face was only centimeters from his. And now that face was once again coming closer and was probably going to- kiss him? 

 

"Wow, when I planned on surprising you by coming home early this was not the reaction I expected." A chuckle followed the sentence, and a small hand tangled itself in Luhan's hair, brushing his bangs  out of his eyes. "Hello there sweetcakes, missed me`?" 

 

"Minseok?" Luhan only stared at his boyfriend in shock. "W-What are you doing here? Weren't you supposed to be celebrating with your family this year?" 

 

Minseok smiled and sat down on the couch next to Luhan, looping his arms around the other boy's neck and pulling him close to his side, letting them fall into the corner of the L-couch. "It is true that I went to visit them, but I never intended to celebrate New Year's eve at their place. And if I was really going to celebrate with them then why wouldn't I have asked you to come along with me? You know that my mom probably loves you more than she ever loved me." Minseok gave a hearty chuckle and hugged Luhan closer to his side, smooching his cheek with affectionate kisses. Luhan giggled silently to himself and snuggled closer, peeking up at his boyfriend, smile falling when he noticed that Minseok was no longer smiling as brightly. "What's wrong Minseok?" 

 

Minseok lifted a hand and traced a finger gently over Luhan's eyelid, Luhan's eyes closing out of reflex only to open again when the tough travelled over to his cheek. "Did you cry Luhan? You're eyes are all red..."  

 

Luhan stuttered and mumbled under his breath, feeling small under Minseok's pointed gaze. "I-I was just watching a drama! Yes! A very sad drama." Feeling Minseok's eyes boring into his head, Luhan's cheeks flushed. "And I was a bit upset that you left me all alone here on New Year's eve..." 

Luhan felt his cheeks heat up and so he buried his face in Minseok's sweater, whining in embarrassment when Minseok began petting his hair affectionately. "I'm sorry Luhan. I just wanted so surprise you but I guess it backfired in my face huh? I didn't mean to make you cry..." 

 

Luhan quickly looked up at Minsoek and hugged him tight, reassuring Minseok that he was happy now that he was here and that it was no big deal. Minseok had always been very sensitive when it came to Luhan's feelings and well-being, feeling guilty and panicking immediately if he could see any reason why he could have been a part of Luhan's sadness. He even felt guilty for letting Luhan watch sad dramas sometimes. 

 

Minseok hugged Luhan back and then turned his gaze to the TV, quickly realizing that the time had passed midnight already and they were now living in the year of 2015. Kissing Luhan's head, he whispered into his boyfriend's ear. "Looks like we hugged our way into the new year." He chuckled. "Happy new year Luhan. I love you."  

 

Luhan didn't even bother to take a peek at what time it was, only hugging Minseok just a bit tighter and was then pulled into a breath-taking kiss. Oh how he loved life together with this man. "Happy new year Minseok. I love you too, so very much you have no idea." 

 

 

And oh if Luhan only knew then how much he'd love Minseok the upcoming year. How he'd love him on every date Minseok planned, how he'd love him while they made love on their anniversary, and especially how he'd love him on the day Minseok would propose to him in a park outside of the school where they first met. 

 

 

But for now, Luhan was very content with just snuggling in his lover's arms, unknowing about the beautiful things that was about to happen in his and Minseok's shared life. And that's the best part about it, isn't it? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: A short little gift to all of you in order to celebrate the new year.  

I don't want to drag this out, so I just want to wish you all a Happy New Year and thank you all for being here with me! ^^ 

 

Happy New Year! (^___^)/