Thank God!

Warm Hugs

After her laugh subsided—"Five good minutes," Seohyun dryly told her—Hyoyeon sat back and apologized to the youngest about her burst. Seohyun rolled her eyes and gestured to Yoona, who still did whatever she was doing before, her eyes signaling that if this continued then she'd bring the doe eyed girl to the nearest hospital to have her brain checked.

 

Hyoyeon tapped her chin and mummed. "What date is it now?"

 

Seohyun looked at her unnie in disbelief. "You don't know? It's 31st December, unnie. The last day of—"

 

"Of course!" exclaimed Hyoyeon suddenly, her face brightened ten times than before. "I know why she behaves like that. Yoona! YOONA! YAH IM YOONA!"

 

Sensing that she had been called, Yoona spun her upper body to face the voice with formed an 'o', no doubt having been stopped at 'tock'.

 

"Come here you choding. You want to go home now?"

 

At the 'go home' part, face brightened, Yoona nodded several times and skipped towards the cashier happily.

 

"What, you only have to offer her to go home?" asked Seohyun incredulously. She had, after all, tried to catch the older girl's attention with many things and failed.

 

Hyoyeon smiled, "Just see."

 

Arriving in front of the cashier in a flash, Yoona bounced in excitement. "Can I go home now? Can I? Can I?"

 

Hyoyeon glanced at the clock. 11:00 PM. Normally they would exit the café together past midnight, but it seemed that today she had to make an exception. A good exception.

 

"I guess I can handle this place with Seohyun," she paused to glance at the youngest who gave her a 'if you say so' look, "so yeah, I think you can go now."

 

"YAAAAAAY!"

 

"But yah—yah IM YOONA! Don't throw the broom carelessly! YAH! COME BACK HERE YOU IM CHODING!"

 

"I'M SORRY UNNIE I'M IN A HURRY SARANGHAE HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

 

Blam.

 

Silence.

 

"It's still 31st December you weirdo," whispered Hyoyeon at the entrance door which was closed forcefully by the suddeny-spirited-deer. She rolled her eyes in exasperation, "Seohyun, pick up the broom. Don't grow up like her, you hear me? She's too weird for her own good." The cashier looked back at the closed door, then, and couldn't help but smile.

 

"Happy new year too."

 

~*::::*~

 

It was a good thing Yoona didn't have the same principle Jessica had, because now she needed to run. She ran, and jumped when her way was interfered with dogs or cats—thank God there was no toddler wandering around at this hour—and ran again. She couldn't take taxi for economical reasons (read: she forgot to bring her purse with her) and thus why she had to rely on her feet alone. The location she headed to was five kilometers long from the café, and most people would say that she's crazy for even trying to walk there by feet, much less running. But she didn't care; she had love, and love made people do crazy things.

 

Again, thank God she wasn't Jessica.

 

After what seemed like eternity, her destination slowly could be seen and Yoona raised her speed. If that was even possible, because everything around her seemed blurred already. Whoever saw her must've wondered if she was a runner practicing for Olympic, or if she was getting chased by a debt-collector.

 

Her legs had felt like it wanted to resign from being a part of Yoona's body when a sight of the park greeted her. Her pace slowed down. Slower, slower, and slower, until she stopped right before the park. A beautiful park with flowers and trees decorating its non-paved ground, the gap in-between was filled with greenish grass. Several lampposts stood at the peripheral of the park, accompanying the moon to shine the beauty.

 

The doe eyed girl glanced to her wristwatch. 11:45 PM.

 

Entering the park, she made her way to one of the benches and sat on it. She studied the park, which, despite being so quiet and lack of human bar her, didn't make her feel goosebumps. It was one thing she liked about the park when Yuri had brought her there.

 

Speaking of the devil...

 

A figure walked in quick steps towards the park, and Yoona had smiled even before the light from the lamppost could show her the figure's face. She didn't need to. She could recognize the way she walk everywhere, everytime. When the lights revealed that the figure was indeed none other than Kwon Yuri, Yoona's smile broke into a grin.

 

"Unnie."

 

The tanned girl stopped in front of the bench, a streak of sweat visible from her forehead to her chin indicating that she had been running too.

 

"Hi Yoong... I'm sorry I'm late."

 

"Thank God you're finally here. I was wondering when will you stop running around my heart creating havoc and come out already..."

 

Yuri laughed despite of the blush that was creeping up her cheek. "So that's why I kept hearing weird voices along my way here. Was that your heart calling mine?"

 

Now it was Yoona's turn to laugh and blush at the same time. "I was just muttering food, food, food. Did you hear that? If not, it wasn't me, then," she said jokingly.

 

Her words, however, caused the older girl to stop laughing. Yuri smiled sadly and raised the bag she carried with her.

 

"I don't bring food," spoke Yuri softly, her tone laced with sadness. "I hope I could, but a devil named Sooyoung shoved everything eatable into her bottomless stomach."

 

Yoona knew this Sooyoung, she had once met her at a patbingsoo eating contest...

 

"Um, unnie, if Sooyoung unnie has a bottomless stomach then what am I?"

 

She had been crowned as the first winner on that contest.

 

Yuri smiled in amusement. "Oh yeah, you're more shikshin than she is..." Then at Yoona's annoyed huff, she added with a chuckle, "You're my shikshin, though. For that alone, your appetite becomes endearing to me."

 

"Smooth talker," grumbled Yoona, although her smile betrayed her tone. However unlogical it might sound, love did make people say weird things.

 

Yuri's chuckle slowly died down, then, and Yoona found the older girl looked sorry again.

 

"I really don't bring any food, though," whispered Yuri. "I'm sorry..."

 

"Unnie," she called. "We can still do New Year Eve without food. I bet you bring drinks."

 

"Well yeah, but..."

 

"Then it's more than enough."

 

"But we've always passed the New Year Eve by eating together, Yoong," said Yuri, her sadness visible.

 

Yoona pouted. She rose from the bench and took the bag from the older girl's hand. She placed it at the bench, all the while without taking her gaze off of her.

 

"Unnie, look at me..."

 

Yuri hesitantly lifted her gaze and met those doe eyes. Yoona smiled, appreciating the way Yuri tried to make her happy, to make their moments perfect, to make everything memorable. But for once, she needed her to know that her being there had always been enough.

 

"Do you know what I want the most, unnie?"

 

She saw curiosity sparked on those brown orbs, and her smile widened...

 

"I know I'm not Olaf, but I like warm hugs too."

 

Love always made you want simple things. And Yoona wanted just that; simple things. More specifically, simple things done with Yuri. So when the person she loved smiled gratefully at her, whispered "come here" softly and pulled her into the warmest embrace she had ever had, she immediately knew.

 

She didn't want foods. She just wanted Yuri to be with her and hug her like this.

 

(Wow. Im Yoona had just stated that she didn't want foods. Sooyoung would've accused her of being a liar, had she been there with them.)

 

Behind them, several lights shot up to the sky and ended with a loud bang, flower-spreadlike flames covered the nights sky. Fireworks. One after one been set off, interrupting the stars and teasing the moon. Yoona checked her wristwatch, 00:00 AM. She smiled—the timing couldn't be any better than this. Bless those fireworks' owners.

 

"Happy new year," she heard the older girl whispered into her ear. She smiled and nuzzled into the crook of her neck, mumbling against the skin,

 

"Happy new year too, unnie, even this year I love you too. If I forget to do so, please remind me with your love."

 

"Dork," she heard Yuri replied, then added in softer tone — "I love you too."

 

They stayed like that, in each other's embrace, for only them and God knew how long. They had the time, and they had the plan. They had no hurry at all. They'd drink and chatted around and admired the fireworks, joking and making each other blush, feeling and giving the love they had for each other. Then they'd go home, together.

 

Yoona pulled out from the embrace slightly. "You will be there when I wake up?" asked Yoona slowly.

 

"Of course, Yoong," replied Yuri softly, placing a gentle kiss on the other's lips.

 

Love was being with your someone first thing in the morning, and Yoona pretty convinced that this year too they were in love—all over again. Even with aching legs, sweaty bodies, and no foods; Yoona could feel it, could see it. She could see the love Yuri's gaze held as their foreheads touched, and the other girl's whispers of 'I love you' told her that she could see it in hers, too.

 

So even with aching legs, sweaty bodies, and no foods—

 

Thank God New Year Eve happened every year.