thank you

may i have this dance?
ryeowook paces the crowd, earning hellos and small bows in which he returns in moderation. he will have to do this far past his feet growing sore.
and of course he catches the small smiles and little giggles from the pretty ladies.
but women have never actually been his preference as he lightly taps the toe of his tight black leather shoes against the ballroom floor.
impatiently he bites his lip because he just wants this night to be over already. quickly he fixes himself up and puts on a winning smile for the embassador passing bye with a greeting.
"ryeowook!" he says patting the small male's shoulder.
"hello siwon, it's nice to see you again."
siwon nods, "it has been a long time. where were you at sooman's last gathering?"
ryeowook chuckles a bit, "out sick, unfortunately."
ryeowook then notices that embassador siwon is not alone. he stands alongside with a tall man, not taller than siwon but definitely more than ryeowook(but who was ever shorter than ryeowook?).
"ah yes i forgot." siwon gestures towards the man beside him, "this is my brother, duke of the neighboring country."
"eunhyuk." the man says smiling and pressing his hand out for ryeowook to shake.
"nice to meet you eunhyuk, i am ryeowook." ryeowook takes the hand gratefully and makes note of how warm and soft it is.
it feels too soon when they part touch.
"i'm sure you're very busy today." siwon gives ryeowook another hearty pat, "so we will leave you to your duties."
ryeowook gives a courteous smile, "i am, thank you. please feel free to ask of me when i am not so busy. i would enjoy the company."
as siwon and eunhyuk begin walking away, ryeowook does not fail to catch eunhyuk's gaze lingering on him but smoothly moving back to his brother's animated conversation.
 
the sky is pitch when he walks out to the balcony, the stuffiness of the ballroom becoming more and more unbearable as he must continue running to and fro.
"oh hello again."
ryeowook sighs and inhales deeply to put on a non-annoyed face before he looks up and-
oh.
he blinks in surprise, "eunhyuk... right?"
the male smiles, "you seem tired."
"i am, believe me." ryeowook admits.
eunhyuk gestures toward the sitdown, "why not take a break?"
a break sounds great.
"it sounds hard being a prince." eunhyuk starts, taking a sip of his wine.
ryeowook looks over, "yes i suppose." he pauses, "what is it like being a duke?"
eunhyuk chuckles, "trying to make me feel lower because of my status?"
ryeowook flushes, "n-no! that's not what i-"
"i'm kidding, kidding." eunhyuk gives ryeowook a pat on the leg.
"being a duke... i guess its hard. late nights sometimes none." he thinks for a moment, "isn't it funny?"
"what?" ryeowook his head to the side.
eunhyuk looks up at the stars, "when you're small, being royal is the world. you want to rule." he bites at already bleeded fingernails, "and then you grow up to find it's nothing but stress."
ryeowook knows what he means.
there is a harp playing softly in the distance and eunhyuk can't help but notice the opportunities disappear by the second.
"the night is almost over." he whispers to no one in particular.
ryeowook says nothing but stares at eunhyuk's distracted by the stars face.
"after tonight i'll be back home and all but sleeping." eunhyuk breaks his focus on the stars and decides to lock eyes with something much prettier, "its funny how the one day i relax, you're working yourself to the bone."
ryeowook smiles something genuine.
eunhyuk feels at ease.
"ryeowook."
he nods.
eunhyuk looks back at the stars, "while the night lives on, would you like to have a final dance? with me?"
ryeowook is taken aback by the words but a breath of agreement is exchanged.
and the warmth of the ballroom is overwhelming but the closeness of eunhyuk might as well be more.
shyly, he presses a hand against eunhyuk's right shoulder whilst letting eunhyuk's hand enclose his other.
he feels a hand lay comfortingly against his waist and instantaneously melts into the touch.
and ryeowook finds that eunhyuk is one of the most graceful dancers he's ever encountered.
his movements are smooth and ryeowook feels like liquid being handled by a god, molded into any shape just to fall back to what he was in the beginning.
and eunhyuk's hands are extremely gentle yet persuading. one tug and ryeowook finds himself exactly where eunhyuk wants him.
ryeowook himself is very light on his toes and falls easily into the dance.
the song isn't over but the world stops when eunhyuk spins ryeowook once and is clutching him tightly in his left arm.
ryeowook's eyes are on his and there's something that's just so right with the scene.
eunhyuk swiftly pulls ryeowook and steadies him.
and they can hear the clock signal midnight, while the song fades out.
the party fades out.
everyone fades out.
and it's just them.
and eunhyuk steals his chance, pressing his lips chaste to ryeowook's.
he pulls away and smiles final, "goodnight prince ryeowook." before dashing away to find his brother.
and ryeowook is left gently touching his lips as if the magic would soon leave them.