Prologue

Drive

Dongwoo didn’t know where he was going, and he didn’t care. When his girlfriend (ex-girlfriend, now) kicked him out of their apartment, he packed one suitcase with all his belongings, got in his car and left. He didn’t really blame her for reacting like she did. It must’ve been shocking when the man she had been living with for a year suddenly told her he was biual. She told him she wouldn’t be able to live with the idea that anyone around them could be a threat to their relationship. He tried telling her it that it doesn’t work that way, he’s not attracted to everyone, but she wouldn’t listen. She told him they were through, and he accepted it. Better for us both, he thought. He had been driving for at least two hours with no destination in mind, until he saw a boy standing on the side of the road with a guitar strapped to his back and his thumb in the air. And Dongwoo did something he never thought he would. He stops.

    Jinyoung didn’t know where he’d end up, and he didn’t care. Anywhere was better than here. Somewhere where his parents no longer had control over him. Ever since he was young, they had planned for him to go to law school. They had only agreed to pay for music lessons because a hobby made it more likely for him to be accepted. When his practicing got in the way of studying, they took away his guitar. When his vocal coach told them he had what it took to make it big, they ignored it. They made him apply, and he was accepted. But the minute he was out of high school for good, he packed a duffel bag with some clothes, stole his mother’s credit card, and stood on the side of the highway with his guitar on his back and his songbook in hand. He had been waiting for over three hours, until a car stopped in front of him, and he did something he never thought he would do. He got in.