Time Zero

Clock Zero: 죽음의 일초
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 1: Time Zero[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] 

She stands there with a straight posture, her chin high as she positions the wooden bow. In one swift move, she notches the arrow and pulls back the string. She lets the tension build, drawing it pass her head. She points the arrow to her target, finally releasing her hold. The string snaps forward with incredible force, piercing through the air at bizarre speed. When it hits her target, she nods in satisfaction before placing the wooden bow on the table.
 

“That was excellent, Hayi!” The instructor notes, examining her target. She had hit the middle circle with ease.
 

The girl gives a curt nod before kneeling on the ground, taking her seat. Although Hayi was satisfied with her perfect aim, she didn’t express it.
 

“As always…” One of the girls mumbles under their breath. Hayi doesn’t avert her eyes to see the person. Her eyes look forward as the next person stands up to hit the target.
 

“Mr. Lee, may I use the restroom?” Hayi asks, raising her hand.
 

“Yes, go ahead.” Then, she slowly pulls herself up, standing on her feet now. She spins on her heel, heading towards the restroom.
 

When she arrives at the restroom, she walks to the sink and turns the faucet. Her hand goes under the rushing water, and she splashes it over her face. Tiny droplets run down her face as she hovers over the sink. However, Hayi could care less now. She hears the door creak, but she doesn’t dare to lift her head up.
 

“Well if it isn’t Lee Hayi…”
 

Hayi sighs, furiously wiping the water off her face. She turns around, her eyes boring into the person’s.
 

“What?” She asks, her tone devoid of any emotion.
 

Jennie Kim is standing before her, a smug look ruining her perfect features. She is nefarious, always picking on girls who she believes are beneath her. Her raven hair runs down to her back, but there are strands of hair dyed in blonde. Jennie comes from a pedigree, and they are the one who owns this prestigious school.
 

“Oh nothing…” She drawls, casually taking steps towards Hayi. Her eyes glint with cruel amusement, but Hayi only stares back with an icy expression.
 

“I’ll be leaving then.” Hayi tries to walk pass her, but Jennie roughly snatches her arm. It forces Hayi to turn around, and she stares at her.
 

“I hate your attitude,” Jennie snarls. Her eyebrows furrow as her lips draw into a thin line. “I hate everything about you!”
 

Hayi refrains herself from rolling her eyes. She had heard this more than a million times, yet it never dawns on Jennie that she might know how she feels about her.
 

“Yes, I’m aware about that,” Hayi replies coolly. She almost enjoys how Jennie’s expression wavers, but it goes away after Jennie takes a step closer to her.
 

“You act like you are perfect, which irritates me!” Jennie shouts on the top of her lungs, banging her fist on the counter.
 

Hayi finally rolls her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest. “Jennie, I think you are forgetting something. I don’t think I’m perfect, especially when you drove everyone away from me.”
 

Jennie smirks, remembering how pleasant it was to see Hayi weak. It barely took any effort. All she had to do was tell the students to stay away from her or else they will be kicked out of the school. She managed to turn everyone against Hayi. Everyone obeyed, and Hayi had no friends. She still doesn’t have any friends, and that pleases Jennie the most.
 

“I remember now!” Jennie exclaims, clapping her hands together. “Who would have thought Hayi become the most hated girl at our school? Oh wait… I did!” The smirk on her face grows bigger when she notices the twitch in Hayi’s face. It looks like Jennie struck a nerve.
 

“I’m going now,” Hayi announces, walking pass her again. She kicks the door open and starts running down the hallway. When she return to her class, the girls instantly start to gossip about Hayi.
 

‘Don’t let it get to you,’ Hayi tells herself as she kneels on the ground.
 

“I heard she slept with the instructor so she can get a good grade!” One girl chatters loudly on purpose so Hayi can hear her.
 

“Wow, she really stoops that low? What a …” Another girl comments and glances at Hayi with disgust.
 

‘Don’t let it get to you…’ Hayi tells herself again, her fist clenches against her lap. She ignores the pain when her nails start to dig into her skin, staring ahead with her chin held high. She will not let the girls get to her. They betrayed her friendship, so Hayi will not give them the satisfaction.
 

She will not let them hurt her again. She is strong… She is Hayi.


“Welcome home, Lady Hayi.” A butler rushes to her side and bows when she walks pass him with a nod. He gestures for the other servants and maid to line up before the young lady. They trail after the butler, greeting her as well.

 

“Ms. Jang, can you prepare a bath for me? I have to speak to Mother first.” The maid nods and runs off, disappearing from Hayi’s sight. She sighs loudly, scratching the back of her head. Then, she rests her hand rail and drags it as she elegantly takes a step on the staircase. Most likely, her mother is inside her office, assiduously working behind the computers. It wouldn’t surprise her… Her mother is dedicated to her job.
 

When she reaches the top of the staircase, Hayi can hear her mother’s voice echoing down the hallway. She starts walking down the path, her shoes clacking against the wooden floor. Suddenly, she stops, and her eyes gaze at room where light is escaping underneath the door. Hayi grabs the metal knob and slightly twists it. The door swings open, revealing her mother who is sitting behind the computer.
 

‘Just like I suspected,’ Hayi thinks to herself. She dares to take a step inside the room and is invited by the scent of lit candle. She allows herself to breathe, the scent relaxing her muscles.
 

“Mother,” Hayi greets with a bow.
 

Her mother peaks away from her computer, and her eyes rest on Hayi’s figure. They are stern, judging her appearance like the usual. She simply nods, acknowledging her presences before averting her attention to the computer.
 

“Hayi,” her mother greets back. Just like Hayi’s, her tone devoid of any emotion. It always pain Hayi to hear her mother address her in that tone. Every time, Hayi’s throat becomes dry, and she struggles to form words on her tongue. Her mother is a terrifying woman, and it’s mainly due to her presences. She’s very confident that it intimidates anyone in her surroundings.
 

“M-Mother?” Hayi stutters, fiddling with her thumbs. She meets the stern eyes again and straightens her posture.
 

“What?” Her mother asks harshly. She taps her fingers against the table impatiently, the stern eyes boring into Hayi’s.
 

“Do you remember what day is today?” Hayi bites the inside of , praying her mother does remember.
 

“Is it your birthday? If it is, I’ll just give you your allowances as a gift,” her mother grumpily says as she stops tapping on the table.
 

“It’s not my birthday…”
 

Her mother scowls and bangs her fist on the wooden table. “What is it then? Can you just tell me so I can get back to work? I’m busy!”
 

“Father’s death anniversary is today! How could you forget Mother?” Hayi asks accusingly. She couldn’t disguise her astonishment or the pain in her heart, which clenches tightly.
 

“Is it? Go send him flowers then.”
 

Hayi’s fists tighten, her knuckles turning white as her vision starts to blur. She couldn’t believe it… Her mother actually forgot about her father… She doesn’t even care…
 

“How could you not care?” Hayi screams, stomping towards her mother’s desk. She slams her hands on it, glaring at the woman. “It’s been three years since he died!”
 

“And?” Her mother leans back into her chair, watching her daughter fuse with anger. “What do you want me to do? To cry? To care for him? Why should I care for the man that cheated on me?” Her mother quietly says, her eyes boring into Hayi’s again.
 

“But…it’s Father. He was important in your life and in mine!” Hayi protests, her voice cracking.
 

“He was, but now he’s not.  He shouldn’t be important in your life either. Now leave me alone. I have work.” Hayi’s shoulders shake vigorously, and her breathing becomes ragged.
 

“You never cared for me...” Hayi mumbles with spite. She notices her mother’s head jerks and sees the crack in her default expression.
 

“Hayi, you know that’s not-”
 

“Unlike Father, you never paid attention to me! You always act like I’m a nuisance to you!” Hayi cuts her off and slams her hands on the table again. The table slightly shakes, but Hayi did not pay attention to it. Her eyes focus on her mother’s frightened face.
 

“Hayi, I do not think you are-”
 

“Father always treated me with kindness. He never neglected me. Even when he had work, he made sure to make time for me! Unlike you, you always care about your job more than me!” Hayi bellows, her eyes becoming red as its brim with tears. “What am I to you? Am I even your daughter?”
 

“If you love your father that much, then die with him!” Hayi’s mother finally screams back, slamming her hands on the table as well. “I have done everything I can so you can live a good life! I enrolled you into the top school of Korea! It’s because of me that you are living under a roof! It’s because of me that you have servants and maids! It’s because of me that you are even alive! What has your father done for you?” Mother asks demandingly, her shoulders shaking with rage.
 

“When I was sick, he took care of me! When I wanted to cry, Father always gave me his shoulders to cry on! He was there for me when I needed someone! He provided me parental affection where else you haven’t. Not once have you showed that you cared for me!” Hayi starts to shake violently, her breathing becoming more ragged as she feels her blood boiling with rage. Her eyes start to sting, b with droplets that carry salt. She raises her hand to wipe her eyes furiously, but it becomes moist again.
 

“I never asked to enroll in that school! I hate that school! I don’t have any friends in that school! Everyone hates me! You never once asked me if I wanted to attend that school! I never wanted to go there because Jennie goes there!” Hayi pants heavily, her chest tightening with all her emotions rising.
 

“We will talk about this later.” Her mother says, reverting back to her cool demeanor.
 

“I HATE YOU!” Hayi snaps, banging her fist against the wall. “I don’t want to see you again! I’m leaving this house.”
 

Then, she runs out the door, never glancing back at her mother. Hayi closes her eyes as she runs, and her chest tightens even more. Her breathing becomes heavier when she realizes that the servants and maids are chasing after her. Hayi couldn’t let them get any closer to her, so she picks up the pace and widens her strides to the point where she’s almost jumping. She pushes the door that leads outside and is instantly alarm when she sees the guards coming after her. Hayi runs back inside the mansion and takes a sharp turn. She picks her pace when she finds her mokgeom, a wooden sword used for practice. Her hands immediately snatch it, and she turns back. The servants and maids charge towards her but stop when they notice Hayi has her practice sword.  They know better than to challenge her on. Hayi is skillful, and they didn’t want any broken bones.
 

“Lady Hayi, please calm down! Ms. Lee wants us to you into your room!” A maid says, her tone gentle to not arise the young girl.
 

“No…I will not stay here!” Hayi starts to run again, passing the servants and maid who cowardly shields themselves.
 

‘I will leave this place!’ Hayi notices that the guards a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter