Bloom

Visible Beauty

AN: I was looking for new music and listening to Ga In’s ‘Bloom’ kind of inspired this. I think I originally meant for it to be angtsy, but came out more fluffy. I'm not, nor have I ever been blind (unless you count how terrible my vision is without my glasses x"D which i dont but anyway...if details are off, please forgive me!) Enjoy! 

 

Taemin had been blind for as long as he remembered. He was told he was born without the sense of vision. He never got to see what his mother or father looked like and for years, he wondered what he even looked like. Being blind was something that had been with him for all of his life. He carried a cane around and wore dark glasses, hoping to detract from the attention. He grew up like this, needing a hand free to grasp for something. He needed support and most people didn’t want to deal with him.

That is… until he met Jinki.

He was nineteen years old and finally in university. Of course he was used to hearing the snickers from others under their breath since he couldn’t see their looks of distaste. It had been a warm fall day when he was sitting on a bench, his hands clenching his cane as he simply tried to imagine what the world around him looked like.

“Hi there!”

Taemin didn’t look up, but he felt a body sit down on the bench a bit away from him. He felt his body tremble as he lowered his head.

“H-hi…”

“Are you a new freshman here?” the voice asked.

Taemin nodded his head, “N-neh.”

“Are you enjoying it?”

Taemin shrugged his shoulders. He was more confused then anything. He knew he didn’t have many friends growing up due to his disability, so he was used to people ignoring him. The voice chuckled from beside him.

“I’m a junior here. I’m Jinki!”

He sounded happy. Taemin imagined he might be smiling—if he knew what smiles really looked like. He expected the guy to go away when he didn’t answer back. Instead he heard laughter.

 “So, what’s your name?”

“T-Taemin,” he said quietly.

He was about to get up and move, ready to hear snide comments and laughter of how he couldn’t see when rather—he felt a hand land on his shoulder.

“You know, if you need anything around campus, you can always find me in the music department.”

Was he offering help?

Taemin choked, “S-sure.”

He didn’t really believe it though. Most people would offer their help only to get frustrated later on.

But Jinki didn’t.

The first time they met again after their introductions, Jinki found him in the student café, struggling to find an open seat. Jinki slipped his arm under Taemin’s and patted his hand.

“Hey, Tae!”

“J-Jinki?” Taemin asked, mildly surprised.

Jinki began to laugh, “Come on, sit with me, okay? I’ve got a spot outside and it’s hot out there!”

Taemin was surprised when Jinki began to lead him, saying that he needed to walk through the door. Jinki even helped him sit down, grabbing his cane as well.

“There! Now how about I go grab us food?”

“Y-you don’t—”

“Stay right here!” Jinki said, rushing off.

Taemin sat in silence, listening to the world around him. He imagined birds were flying and the leaves were turning like he had been told growing up. He listened to the chatter and heard the familiar snickers rushing past his ears. He felt his chest tighten when he heard the laughter get louder and he was about to get up and move when he felt a warm hand on his.

“Ignore those people, Taem.”

“Jinki?” Taemin asked.

He heard the clattering of a tray and Jinki plopping down next to him.

“Neh, I’m here. I’m not sure what you like to eat so I got a variety of things!”

“I-is that steak and rice I smell?” Taemin asked.

Jinki laughed, “A favorite I hope?”

“My absolute favorite.”

He was expecting Jinki to tell him to start eating but he was surprised when he felt a spoon tap his lips.

“Here! Try it, Tae!”

Taemin opened his mouth and ate quickly, swallowing the delicious food Jinki was feeding him. A blush came to his cheeks as Jinki continued to help him eat. Why was this guy doing this?

“J-Jinki?”

“You can call me hyung! I don’t mind, Taem,” Jinki said, putting more food onto a spoon.

Taemin grasped his cane tightly.

“W-why…”

“Hmm? Why what?” Jinki asked.

He looked over at the freshman and saw him with his head down, his knuckles white against his cane.

The boy was beyond confused. Why was Jinki being so nice? He swallowed, his mouth dry as he tried to find the words to say.

“W-why are you being so nice to me?”

“You seem like a sweet enough boy… why wouldn’t anyone want to be nice to you?”

“'Cause I’m blind!” Taemin hissed out.

He wanted to move away, to go somewhere quiet where he couldn’t hear the world around him. Jinki grabbed his hand before he could even think about standing.

“Tae…I would never dislike someone because of something they were born with.”

“You’re just saying that,” Taemin muttered under his breath.

Most people would have gotten upset or frustrated with him by that point. They would have told him to get up and leave and then laugh as he struggled to find his way.

Jinki didn’t.

“I’m not just saying that. You’re blind, so what? I still want to be friends. Hey, if you want, I can be your eyes!”

Taemin felt his mouth drop open slightly and when he felt a hand patting his head he choked, “Y-you can’t be serious. I…don’t need—”

“Give it a try? For me? If you don’t like it I’ll leave you alone after, but I want to try to be your friend!” Jinki said.

His voice sounded happy—something Taemin was somewhat unfamiliar with. He nodded, though, knowing the elder would probably only try to keep him here and continue to ask. Taemin expected Jinki to get fed up with him and his negativity after the first couple of days they hung out together. He waited to hear Jinki lash out and tell him he was better off on his own like he had heard so many other times in his life.   

But Jinki was different.

Jinki had somehow found out where his dorm was and appeared there every morning, grabbing his hand as they walked out. Jinki was there after his classes had ended and always walked with him to find some food as they did their assignments together. Any time Taemin felt frustrated Jinki’s laughter was running through his ears, instantly calming him. The routine would continue like this for months, with Jinki even introducing him as his best friend to a group of other friends as well as his parents.

He was still cautious though. He was always quiet, never really speaking unless a person asked him something. But around Jinki, he was a bit more easy-going, laughing at the lame jokes Jinki would make from time to time and telling him a bit of how he grew up. It was springtime when Jinki first kissed him. They had been out in the courtyard of their university, digging through books and homework while Jinki helped Taemin with some of the material he was studying. Taemin was slightly frustrated with it.

“Jinki…what does this say?”

Jinki had leaned over, putting his chin on his shoulder as he read.

“It’s talking about the central nervous system. You remember it from a couple weeks ago. You memorized the bones in the human body.”

Taemin nodded.

“I-I just wish I could see it…”

He felt Jinki stiffen next to him and he understood why. In the couple months they had been friends, Taemin never mentioned much about how much hate he got for being blind. Although Jinki led him around everywhere, they never really talked about the world around them. Taemin felt Jinki shut the book in his lap and chuckle.

 “The world is a beautiful place. There are a couple of birds up in the trees above us, singing to their hearts' content. The leaves on the trees are finally growing back and they’re bright green.”

“A-and the sky?”

“It’s the color blue, like a bright blue that makes your breath quicken and then relax when you look at it.”

Taemin felt Jinki wrap his arms around him.

“But the real beauty right here in this place is you.”

Taemin felt his cheeks grow red especially when Jinki laughed, “I think you’re beautiful. Your skin is a milky pale color, but it looks so soft and your hair is always so cute when it’s frazzled and disheveled.”

Taemin felt his heart pick up as Jinki continued to speak quietly.

 “You look adorable when I come pick you up every morning. There’s a sleepy grin on your face and I think that with or without your glasses, you look so cute.”

And then he felt lips on his. Jinki was kissing him softly, so gently that if it wasn’t so quiet and serene around them he probably wouldn’t have been able to feel it. When Jinki back away Taemin felt his heart pounding in his chest, like it wanted to jump out and fly around with the birds.

“I-I like you, Taem…”

Everything after that day changed. Jinki was more open about hugging him and touching him and Taemin stopped believing that Jinki was like the rest of the world who would belittle him for being blind.

They’d spend their free days off and Jinki would describe the world around them, making connections and vivid images for Taemin to think of. He no longer used his cane since Jinki became his guide. The elder never let go of his hand whenever they were together and eventually, it just became normal for them to be attached.

For once in his life Taemin felt freer, like he had a new sense of meaning to live for. Jinki would kiss him any time he wanted and Taemin began to respond in kind, whispering back how much he liked Jinki in return. When the day came for Taemin to go to the doctor’s office for an appointment, Jinki was with him, smiling as he described how the office looked to the tiny boy who was kicking his feet back and forth.

“We have good news, Taemin-ah,” the doctor has started off.

Taemin listened, stunned actually as they claimed to have a way to potentially help him recover his vision. Jinki had been ecstatic, cheering when they were alone again and peppering Taemin’s face in kisses. But Taemin was quiet, almost a little depressed. Jinki stopped, pulling away slightly.

 “Tae? Aren’t you excited?”

“I-It’s not s-something I can afford…” Taemin said quietly.

He knew that even if this could happen, financially he wouldn’t be able to come close to that procedure. He felt weights on his shoulder as he clasped Jinki’s hand.

“B-besides…w-what happens if I got it? Th-that means you w-would go away and n-not want anything to do w-with me.”

He heard silence and then Jinki sighed. Jinki wrapped his arms around him,.

“You’re such a silly, silly boy. It doesn’t matter to me if you have your vision or not. I love you the way you are.” 

He…loved him? Taemin wanted to cry at the words. How could Jinki love someone like him? Jinki kissed his cheek.

 “Besides, I think insurance and your parents would be willing to help. They want your vision back just as much as we all do.”

“H-how do you know?” Taemin asked.

Jinki laughed out loud, “You forget I’ve met them, Tae!”

Taemin only nodded, resting his head on Jinki’s shoulder as the doctor came back in. Jinki had been right about insurance covering most of the procedure. Taemin had been shocked to hear that his Umma already scheduled the surgery, wanting him to have it as soon as he could.

“There’s a chance it could not work though, Taemin-ah,” the doctor said as they left.

Taemin was already betting on it not working. That night Jinki took him back to his apartment instead of his dorm and the elder held onto him tightly as he described the show they were watching, telling him what was happening on the screen with each tick of the clock.

As the date grew closer for the procedure, Taemin grew quite attached to Jinki, hoping he was truthful about everything. On one night they were alone the elder asked him quietly to move in with him. Taemin had been shocked to learn that Jinki was scared Taemin wouldn’t need him any longer if he could see the world without a guide.

Needless to say, when they emerged the next morning, Taemin was blushing a bit too much and Jinki held a triumphant smile as he held his lover close. It was later that morning that Taemin sat on the hospital bed, grasping Jinki’s hand tightly.

“W-will you be here after?”

“Do you want me to be here, Tae?”

Taemin was quiet, but he soon nodded. It took him courage to say this to Jinki.

 “I-I want you t-to be the first thing I see…if this works…”

He heard a small intake of breath and then felt a kiss to his forehead.

“I’ll be here waiting.”

It was painful, since he was forced to stay awake for much of the procedure and he would be in the hospital for a day or two while he recovered. His face was wrapped in bandages when Jinki was allowed into his room.

“How are you feeling, Taem?”

“Sore,” Taemin said.

His vision was still black, but he couldn’t tell if that was because of the bandages or the procedure not working. His chest was in knots as he waited on edge, wanting to tear them off and finally see for the first time since he was born. Jinki never left his side and when the doctor came in cheerfully later that day, he was told they would remove them to see the results.  The nurse began to unravel them, keeping his eyelids shut until they were all off.

And when he opened his eyes?

He saw the most beautiful person standing next to the bed, a gentle smile on his face and tears in his eyes as their eyes locked. Taemin reached his hand out.

 “J-Jinki-hyung?”

“Can you see me, Tae?”

Jinki let his hand reach out and touch Taemin’s cheek, it softly. Taemin smiled as he took in Jinki’s face—the face of his lover and very best friend.

“Y-You’re so beautiful.”

“So are you, Taem.”

Jinki handed him a mirror and finally he saw what he looked like. The images he had conjured up of himself didn’t even remotely relate to what he was seeing now. He lunged up and hugged Jinki, feeling tears roll down his cheeks from his sore eyes as he whispered his love in return to the elder who had patiently helped him get to this point.

A few days later Taemin shakily walked outside with Jinki next to him as he finally got to see the world around him. It was breathtaking to see cars and people for the first time in his life. Although it was possible for his vision to maybe fail in the future, he was hopeful now.

“I guess you don’t really need a guide anymore, do you?” Jinki said from beside him.

Taemin only reached for his hand, “I want you to show me the world, Hyung. Show me the beautiful world we’re living in.”

Jinki smiled and pulled him closer, beginning to show him everything he wanted to see. Even with his vision now returned to him, he already saw the most beautiful thing in his life. It was Jinki, the one person who showed him a new world, who gave him the hope he wanted for so long.

Now that he had it along with his sense to see—he was never letting go.

 

AN: Forgive me if this …this is what happens when I have no internet for quite a while. XD