Fin

One Half of Me is Yours

“During tough time or when I’m happy I always go to Bugak Skyway with Tao hyung. If you visit that place at midnight, all the surrounding lights are off and there’s almost nobody around. Just then we could have the time for just the two of us.”

~ Sehun, Celebrity Magazine January 2015 Issue

“I’ve gone here and there with Sehun a lot but Bugak Skyway still stays in my memory. Quiescent place and you can overlook Seoul with a single glance.”

~ Tao, Celebrity Magazine January 2015 Issue

September 2010

“Say it slowly – annunciate.” The teacher stressed for the umpteenth time.

“Kaam-“

“No! Kkam! Kkam!”

Sehun watched silently. He had sat through the same scene dozens of times before. The teacher would scold, yell, shake his head in frustration. Tao would try to struggle through the syllables, never quite pronouncing the words the way his teacher thought he should. In the beginning Sehun had laughed about Tao’s poor language skills alongside the other trainees – Tao made it too easy. Tao was proud, he liked to brag. He liked to show off, which made him an easy target for other trainee’s barbed comments and criticisms.

In the last two years Sehun had seen a lot of trainees come and go. SM Entertainment was an extremely competitive entertainment agency, one of the top in South Korea, and being able to survive in such an environment was a feat in and of itself. Not to mention the sheer force of will, the amount of dedication, and the thick skin that would be required to actually debut in one of SM’s Idol groups. Only a small fraction of the young hopefuls that were recruited into the trainee system would actually see a debut date. Existing in such a place, growing up in such a place, had made Sehun become guarded in his actions –in tandem with the development of a very critical side.

Tao had arrived at the building a few months back. Sehun had met him when he walked into the practice room alongside one of the managers. Sehun and his fellow trainees were busy running through the routine they would present at the monthly evaluation, already flummoxed from a long day of practice they were not very energetic in their greeting.

Tao had bowed and made it immediately known he could barely speak Korean, much less understand it. He had even called Minseok ‘Oppa’ – which was a term only a younger female should use. When Tao left the room the trainees had unanimously decided the newbie probably would not last a week. They were wrong – not only did he last a week he was soon placed into their group. The pre-debut group, the highest level group out of all of the trainees.

Since Tao had moved so quickly up the trainee ranks he had been studying nonstop, his dedication winning him some fans, Sehun included. Tao arrived early and stayed late. He studied rap, dancing, and the Korean language. He struggled through it all, put up with the other trainees and their snarky comments, and never seemed all that bothered by it. Sehun couldn’t help but admire him.

“Sehun-ah, are you studying your Chinese or staring at Tao?!” The teacher took a break from scolding Tao.

“Sorry teacher.” Sehun went back to plodding through the Chinese language textbook. Sehun was terrible at studying language. It was a good thing he exceled at dance or he would never have gotten as far as he was at SM.

As he stared at the text he quickly fell into his thoughts. It was too bad he couldn’t actually converse well with Tao, because he had a lot of questions for the boy. Like what China was like, or why he had come all the way to Korea. Of course he could always ask the other Chinese trainees about Tao (as their Korean was conversational) but that might just seem weird. Instead he would just have to wait, he decided, until Tao could talk to him.

Two hours later the language lesson ended. It was a rare night where they didn’t have to stay late for dance practice. They had just finished their monthly evaluation earlier that day, they had a small break before they started their new routine the next day.

As was Sehun’s usual routine he grabbed his backpack and went towards the front of the building to wait for Minseok, an older trainee who was in the same group. They both took the same subway line home, it was their routine to leave together.

Sehun’s phone buzzed. It was a text from Minseok.

Go on without me. I am going to a café with Luhan. –Minseok Hyung

Sehun put his phone away, ready to go home alone. He still had a lot of energy so the thought of taking the train by himself (and eschewing the bite to eat that he usually got with Minseok at the station) was not ideal, but it was what it was. As he left the building and turned the corner he heard heated words.

There were a group of trainees gathered by the side of the building. He could hear swear words – their attention seemed to be focused on one person. A person he couldn’t make out. Nearing the group he stood up on his tiptoes. It was Tao, standing in the center of them, tears streaming down his cheeks.

Sehun pushed forward, through the crowd, until he was standing next to Tao.

“What do you guys think you are doing?!” He asked, anger evident in his words.

Sehun looked around the crowd. All of the trainees gathered were his juniors. Honestly it didn’t surprise him, this group had a reputation for bullying.

“Telling the Chinese kid like it is – that no one wants him here.” The de-facto leader of the group spat, eying Tao with hatred in his eyes.

“Leave now or so help me I will sick Kris hyung on you.” Sehun knew the younger trainees were intimidated by the Chinese Canadian trainee, the hulking giant that put off a tough vibe (but who Sehun knew was a nice guy at heart).

“Are you threatening me?” The leader questioned.

“Yeah, I am.” Sehun stared him down.

Tao took the opportunity that had come with Sehun’s arrival to stalk off from the group. Sehun was surprised at Tao’s sudden departure, he was so wrapped up in his stare down. He no longer had a reason to fight with the younger trainees, so he promptly backed down and jogged after Tao, catching his arm once he was next to him. Tao yanked his arm away.

“What do you want?” Tao asked, still walking ahead, not bothering to stop “Just go Sehun-ah.”

Sehun froze. So he could speak Korean much better than he let on? “Are you okay?” Sehun ran to catch up to Tao’s fast gait, not willing to be shaken off so easily.

“Why do you care?” Tao asked.

That was a good question, Sehun thought. Why did he care?

“Because I want you to go somewhere with me.” Sehun made it up as he went along “I was going to ask you earlier but…um, you had left and-“

“I am going back to the dorm.” Tao spat out.

“What if I told you the place is the best place in Seoul? That you won’t regret it?” Sehun thought hard. Where could he take Tao? What was the best place in Seoul...

“I don’t care.” Tao wasn’t about to acquiesce.

“You will be really upset if you-“

“Just go.” Tao quickened his pace. “I don’t need another person to make fun of me. I don’t need another Korean boy to tell me to go back to China.”

Sehun stopped. He could have argued, but he didn’t. Instead he watched Tao go, waiting until he could no longer make out the tall, muscular frame in the low light of the street lamps. Tao’s word hurt, the fact that he considered Sehun the same as the others. What hurt more, Sehun thought, was that Tao looked so very alone as he walked into the darkness.

November 2010

The first time Tao saw Sehun crying engraved itself in Tao’s mind, a memory he could not forget. It was a terrible day for everyone. The monthly evaluation had subpar results. The team had been scolded by their teachers for missed steps, out of pitch singing and forgotten lyrics. The entire group was ready to throw in the towel once they slinked back to the practice room.

Junmyeon had tried to rally the group into practicing through the routine again, but everyone was so low in spirits the practice was worse than the performance they delivered at the evaluation. Soon tempers were flaring and people were pointing fingers at one another.

Tao saw it out of the corner of his eye- Sehun walking towards the door, opening it slowly, leaving.  Sehun’s absence went unnoticed as the others fought amongst themselves.

Tao followed, but he wasn’t sure why. In the last month Sehun had barely spoken ten words to him. Tao felt guilty that he had essentially pushed the other boy away when he had lashed out that night, a month ago. He knew Sehun was different than the acid tongued trainees that had made fun of him.

Tao found Sehun in one of the nearly dark practice rooms. He could make out his form in the low light, his hand to his face. He could hear the slow, choked sobs. Tao approached, stopping directly behind Sehun. He reached out a hand, placing it on Sehun’s shoulder.

Sehun had every reason to cry, he had been judged especially harshly by the teachers at the evaluation. Tao had watched the scolding, the criticism, silently- as was expected of him. But he knew how hard Sehun had worked, he knew how hard Sehun had tried. It made him angry to see his efforts belittled, even if his performance had been far from perfect.

Tao expected Sehun to jump, to yell at him, to shoo him away. Instead Sehun turned, tears streaming down his face. Tao didn’t speak, he moved. He pulled Sehun into a hug, letting the younger man bury his face in the crook of his neck, Sehun’s tears moistening Tao’s shirt.

They remained that way for the better part of ten minutes, until Sehun had stopped crying.

“I am sorry for what I said.” Tao whispered as they parted.

“I know.” Sehun responded quietly.

That was the first time they understood each other. That was the first time Tao realized how much he wanted to protect Sehun. That was the first time Sehun realized he wanted more than a hug.

January 2011

The rumor was everywhere. SM would debut a male group sometime in the next year, which meant a spot on the pre-debut trainee team was more important than ever. Trainees that were not on the team practiced day and night to earn a spot while those on the team practiced harder to retain their position.

Sehun and Tao were part of the latter group, practicing nearly every waking hour so they would not be downgraded. Their relationship had evolved in the last few months. They talked to each other now – as much as they could any way.

While Tao could speak more Korean than he let on, he was still far from fluent. Sehun, on the other hand, was a complete failure at speaking Chinese. A lot of the time they just sat next to each other, eating or drinking or just giving off non-verbal cues to communicate their moods. It was a strange relationship, but a thrilling one. A kind of friendship unlike either boy had ever experienced before.

One night – morning really, as the clock had long ago reached midnight – the pre-debut team sat in the practice room. They had been at it for the last ten hours basically nonstop, they were all exhausted. Tao collapsed against the wall, grabbing a water bottle he chugged.

Sehun, panting, sat down. He didn’t even think about how intimate the gesture was. He laid his head down on Tao’s lap, closing his eyes. Minutes passed as everyone rested, chatted idly, too tired to do anything but sit there. Sehun was quiet. He didn’t notice how Tao looked down at him fondly. Sehun drifted off to sleep, comfortable. Safe.

April 2011

It was raining, a dreary day in Seoul – a landscape scattered with colorful umbrellas and people rushing to and fro to get out of the weather. Tao and Sehun missed the rainy day, busy in the practice rooms. They met the damp evening, drizzle still coming down as the light began to fade.

“Sehun…” Tao said quietly as they walked from the SM building “Do you remember when you said you had somewhere to show me?”

Sehun thought hard. Then the light bulb went off, his mind returning to the night that Tao had told him off. “Yeah.”

“Where is it? The best place in Seoul?” Tao asked, holding his umbrella high enough to cover both Sehun and himself.

“Curious?” Sehun teased.

“Just tell me.”

“How about I show you?” Sehun grabbed at Tao’s arm (after considering the fact that transportation would still be running), “Let’s go.”

They had been practicing so hard lately they deserved a break. It was a few minutes before they reached the underground. Tao followed Sehun’s lead, never questioning their destination. It was a half an hour before they alighted the subway. Tao noticed the name of the stop -Gyeongbokgung Palace Station.

“We have to take a bus too.” Sehun dragged Tao through the drizzle to the bus stop, paying Tao’s fare as well as his own. They sat in the blue plastic seats, not speaking, both staring out at the landscape of neon lights passing by, giving way to older buildings, illuminated by the lights reflecting in the puddles. The road turned into a curvy mountain highway, the foliage thickening into forest, Tao gasping slightly at the scenery.

“It gets better” Sehun whispered, smiling at Tao’s reaction.

Sehun nudged Tao when it was time to get off “We are almost there.”

The bus had stopped near the top of the mountain. Tao could already see why Sehun called this the best place in Seoul. Even from where they alighted the bus the cityscape was visible, beautiful in the light rain. It was worth the long journey to get here.

Sehun looped his arm in Tao’s, walking the rest of the way up the flights of wooden steps until a pavilion came into view.

“You weren’t kidding. It is beautiful.” Tao whispered, awed by the scenery.

The pavilion was beautiful as well, the reds, greens, and whites illuminated against the night sky.

“This is Bugak Skyway.” Sehun said proudly.

“Bug-aak.” Tao said slowly, ready to commit the name to memory.

They stood, arm in arm, Tao holding an umbrella over the both of them, for some time. Staring down at the city, neither of them spoke. They looked, they dreamed, arm in arm. Neither boy wanted to be anywhere but where they were that night. Together, in the rain, their thoughts held closely.

February 2012

It was official. It had been official for the last few months. Beyond official – it was fact. Exo was the group name and Sehun and Tao were both in the roster. Sehun would be the maknae of Exo K while Tao would fulfill the same role for Exo M.

Teasers had been released, Tao had even appeared alongside some of their group mates at a year-end award ceremony a few months back. They had completed their debut photo shoots. Now the only thing left to do was debut.

Anxiety had hung over the twelve members of Exo since they were pulled into the manager’s office and told of their pending debut. Everyone was apprehensive, nervous that the debut wouldn’t go as planned; that maybe one of them would be cut from the group or something else would happen. Management had tried to reassure them, but it did little to ease the nervous atmosphere. They just needed to debut now.

Tao had whispered the suggestion to Sehun as they spent a day going through the routine for their debut song- let’s go the skyway after practice. Sehun had said yes.

In the last ten months Sehun had been confused. In the last three months Sehun had been hurt. Hurt because Tao would be gone soon – off to China to promote with Exo M. Confused because he felt like Tao leaving would tear his heart in two. Confused because he was pretty sure feeling that way meant something he hadn’t admitted to himself.

When they arrived at the skyway, Tao took Sehun’s hand in his own. They walked hand in hand up the wooden steps to the pavilion, staring at the cityscape.

“Hun-ah.” Tao had taken to shortening Sehun’s name as of late, a term of endearment that Sehun allowed him gladly “I will be gone soon.”

The statement hung between them. Sehun squeezed Tao’s hand, Tao squeezed back. It was this type of communication that confused Sehun further. What were they to each other? The other group members had taken to teasing the two of them- they were always together. During practice, during breaks, after practice. Sehun brushed it off, but deep down he had his own questions. Sehun wanted answers.

He wanted to be brave. Tao was brave instead.

“Sehun…I-“ Tao took a deep breath before letting Sehun’s hand go. He moved to face the younger man, reaching out a hand he cupped Sehun’s chin “I don’t want you to hate me. If you hate me after this, I am sorry, but I have to say it. I think I like you.”

Sehun swallowed hard. He should have known it was coming. It was unspoken between them but it was real – it was something words could not capture. It was spoken in soft touches, reassuring smiles. It was spoken when Tao slipped an arm around Sehun when he was so tired he wanted to collapse. It was spoken when Sehun massaged Tao’s shoulders as he craned his neck back, hurting from dance and wushu practice. It was spoken when they were too tired to go to their own beds and fell asleep next to each other on the dorm floor, waking up in each other’s arms.

I have liked guys since I liked anyone. My parents know… they are cool with it. I mean, you might think that is weird but now that we are going to be apart I just had to tell you and if you are mad I promise I won’t like you anymore and-” Tao rambled.

Sehun Moved.

It was Sehun’s first kiss. At Bugak Skyway, two months before Exo debuted. Sehun kissed Tao and Tao kissed back.

April 2013

Sehun wasn’t at the dorms when Tao and the rest of Exo M arrived. They were back in Korea after a year of promoting in China. It was time to record their first full length album- and they would do so as a group of twelve. It had been welcome news for Tao and Sehun – they would be reunited after a long time apart.

As Tao realized Sehun was absent he tried to act disinterested, but the rest of the group knew better.

“He left you a note, Romeo.” Junmyeon – no Suho – slipped a piece of paper into Tao’s hand.

Tao opened it- Come to the skyway.

Tao remembered the train stop, the bus number. Because it meant something to him, this place. He hadn’t seen Sehun in months. Painful months of texting and skyping as much as they could. It would never compare to seeing each other- being next to each other.  

It had been a feat to slip out of the dorms, thank god for the manager hyung that had helped Sehun sneak out as well.

On the way to the skyway Tao thought about how cheesy the entire thing was- meeting Sehun like this. But somehow it was better this way- cheesy, romantic, dramatic, cliché. It was them.

It was a couple of hours later when Tao made his way up the steep incline, the steps seemingly never-ending, up to the pavilion.

Sehun was sitting on a bench, his back to Tao as he approached. One stride, two strides, three.

“Hun-ah?” A question, a statement.

Sehun turned.

Tao moved this time. Sehun moved too. They met in the middle, the long months apart funneling into a tight embrace, a kiss, just staring at each other - a reunion.

“I love you.” Tao said it, he had thought it many times. But he had never said it, neither of them had. It was too real perhaps, or maybe just too sappy. But it was right, this was the right time.

“Wo ai ni” Sehun whispered back.

Tao had never found those three words so beautiful in his entire life.

October 2014

“Yah! You are going to crash the car!” Sehun swatted at Tao’s hand, which was busy shifting gears as he maneuvered the luxury vehicle up the windy road.

“Hun-ah, these cars are made for things like this.” Tao nudged Sehun’s hand away.

Sehun sat back in his seat in a huff.  Ever since Tao had gotten his license (and an expensive vehicle to boot) he had made an effort to put both things to the test – his ability to drive and his car’s ability to handle his driving.

The beautiful scenery passed by as they drove up the mountain. It was different seeing it from the comfort of a car as opposed to a bus. Sehun forgot about his boyfriend’s driving in the midst of the luscious landscape.

Tao parked in the lot at the top of the mountain, a few minutes’ walk to the pavilion. They got out of the car without speaking. Sehun was next to Tao in a moment, their hands intertwined as they walked to the pavilion.

The sun was setting as they stared down at the city. Tao moved behind Sehun, embracing him from behind. Sehun settled into Tao’s arms, smiling slightly as he felt his boyfriend’s arms around him.

“Do you know what Hun-ah?” Tao whispered.

“No.” Sehun answered.

“I think this is my favorite place in Seoul.” Tao replied, planting a kiss on Sehun’s cheek.

“Mine too.” Sehun agreed, leaning back into Tao’s embrace. “Mine too.”

--------------------------

a/n- I took some liberties with dates, so verbally slap me in the comments if it annoys you. I also took some liberties with the landscape around the skyway (because I have never been there). If you can get past the technical details I hope you enjoyed the story. I enjoyed writing it, because the Taohun Celebrity Magazine interview made me all akdhfkajdKFAKJFHAKJFHAKFJALKDFJ. Thanks for reading and let us all bask in the glory that is Taohun! <3 London_Calling