Chapter 1

Coming Home

The crowd of fans standing in front of the base were squealing and leaning against the small barricade, waving flowers in his direction. He smiled for them and the reporters taking pictures underneath a large banner that read, "We missed you, Wooyoung!"   

 

"Wooyoung-ah! Are you happy to be finished with your military duty?" The reporter from SBS asked.

 

"I am happy to have served my country," he answered humbly.

 

"Do you have any big plans for the immediate future?" Someone with an MBC microphone yelled from the back of the group.

 

He quickly glanced towards his parents, happily waiting behind the crowd by the car.  "My only plan right now is to spend a lot of time with my family." He smiled widely and began to walk past the reporters, "My mom has cooked me lots of good food! Thank you everyone." 

 

He tried his best to walk at a normal pace and waved to the fans on his way out when every bone in his body was telling him to run as fast as he could.  The one person he needed a welcome reception from was waiting for him in Busan. 

 

In the back seat of his parents’ car, he leaned his head against the window, half-listening to his mother list all the family members currently back at the house. Wooyoung did his best to calm the nervous energy that was pulsing through his body. I could probably run to Busan faster than this car, he thought.

 

As they got closer to his parents’ house, he noticed a group of fans whom he recognized were from the Busan chapter of his fan club standing across the road with a banner of his face on it.  "Welcome home, Wooyoung!" they shouted.  

 

"Appa, can you stop a moment?" He asked, rolling down his window.  The fans screamed.  "Thank you for my welcome,"  he called over to them.  "I am going to go inside and have a nice meal with my family. You should all do the same, okay?" 

 

"Yes, Wooyoung!" "Thank you!" "I love you" "We missed you!" they shouted back.

 

"Don't stand out here all day! You will get sick!" He told them before rolling the window back up.  His father opened the gate with a remote and pulled the car into their drive. "I hope that will work, I really don't need them here when we leave in the morning."

 

"Aigoo! Don't worry so much! Everyone is happy you are home!" His mother said happily. 

 

Wooyoung looked behind him to make sure that the tall wooden gate had closed all the way before leaping out of the car. "Where is she?" He asked in a rush.

 

His mother laughed, "I don't know, probably in the house somewhere." 

 

He grabbed his large army duffel bag out of the backseat and started quickly for the front door. 

 

"Aish," His father sighed, "He should try to act more cool."

 

"Oh, leave him alone," his mother said.

 

"Didn't I act more dignified when I got home from the army?"

 

"How would I know," his mother said heading into the house after Wooyoung, "I wasn't your girlfriend then."

 

---

 

Inside the house, Wooyoung's senses were assaulted by the smell of delicious food and the noise of his family crowding the house. He quickly bowed to his family members as he s his way into the house rushing his greetings, looking everywhere for her.

 

"Your girl is in the yard!" He heard one of his aunts yell from the kitchen.  A laugh from the group quickly followed. 

 

His hands were shaking when he opened the back door and started out onto the deck.  She was facing away from him sitting in a chair at the back of the yard, the afternoon sun shining off of her wavy hair that fell onto bare shoulders. He tried to steady his voice as he stepped toward her, "Park Seyoung-"

 

She didn't turn, or even move an inch.

 

"Seyoung?" 

 

She brought up her hands to cover her face and he could hear her through her fingers, "I can't turn around. I'm too nervous."

 

He came around to the front of the chair and knelt down in front of her. She was wearing a lovely dress with a long skirt that made her look so grown up and elegant.  He placed his hands on her knees, "Seyoung-ah, I really want to see you," he said, softly.

 

She pulled her hands away from her face and as soon as their eyes locked, she lunged forward to wrap her arms around his neck. Wooyoung put his arms around her waist and stood them both up.  He was holding her for dear life, his face buried in her hair when he noticed that she was crying, or rather, sobbing.  

 

He pulled away enough to look at her face, "Omo! Omo! Weh weh weh?" he asked with an exaggerated pout, trying to wipe her tears with his thumbs.

 

"I didn't let myself cry for two years.  Let me cry now," she said. 

 

He couldn't stop himself from kissing her, "You don't have to cry now," he said between kisses, "You don't have to cry ever again."

 

"I missed you so much," she tried to say, before crumbling into sobs again.

 

"Aigoo," He sighed picking her up in his arms and sitting them both in the garden chair. "I'm home now," he said her back, "I'm not going anywhere." 

 

A few minutes later his mother peeked out the window to the back garden to see her son, handsome and grown in his military uniform, and the beautiful woman who stood by his side, tangled together in the same chair,whispering to each other with sleepy smiles on their faces. Her heart was bursting with pride and joy as she closed the blinds. Dinner could wait a few more minutes.