One-shot

Impulse

He glanced at the paper for just a mere few seconds and without even thinking about his surroundings, he stood up from his seat. Contrary to the teacher’s expectations, he didn’t say anything. He just stood for maybe a few seconds before he sprinted out of the lecture hall. Everyone was shocked, what could have made him leave like that abruptly?

Yet while everyone was pondering, he ran for his life to the bus stop. He’s not a great runner at all, he’s just an ordinary guy. He knew it himself that he has pretty bad stamina, but he kept pushing himself until he reached the bus stop.

He was thinking too fast the entire way there—thoughts were traveling quickly in his head. He did too many mistakes already and he couldn’t mess it up now. Growing up, he learned more things about himself including his ugly traits. He’s known for being too stubborn, but he wasn’t going to let his pride take over now. He can’t. He just can’t. He already failed once and now thinking back, it really hurt. It hurt so much, he even turned a blind eye to it. But not this time. He remembers the other’s smile, their laugh, the twinkle in their eye. As memories flashed across his mind and he could feel the sweat dripping down his face, he made it to the bus. But that person wasn’t there.

Frantically looking around, he couldn’t spot the other. As he’s cursing himself, he hears another person call out his name. Time freezes at that moment and he’s feeling a mix of emotions overcome him—fear, happiness, hope, despair, want—all at once. In anticipation, he lifts his head and he sees the person that he wanted to see. He could read in the other’s face the confusion and fear. It was all too obvious in that person’s face. The amount of scars he left on the other. Without thinking of the place they were both at, he lunges and pulls the other into his embrace. He couldn’t contain the relief and happiness he felt to see the other. Fragmented words and gasps were leaving his mouth in nonsense as he cried holding the other. The other doesn’t move and simply stands, listening to the ambiguous apologies falling out of the crying man’s mouth. Before the other knew it, they were crying too.

To other’s it might have seemed out of place, two men hugging and crying. But for those two, it meant reconciliation—which is everything to them.