Chapter 1 | Euna

Photographers-For-Hire
              Stay calm. I thought to myself as I exited the cab after paying my fee. You can do this, Euna. I encouraged as I stepped onto the sidewalk in front of the large building. I scanned over the dark letters that labeled the building. “BIG HIT ENTERTAINMENT” they spelled in bold almost intimidating letters. With a sigh, I my heel, reached into my pocket, and pulled out my phone. After quickly dialing a number, I held the phone up to my ear waiting for the person on the other end to pick up. "Hello?" The muffled voice on the other side of the line asked. 

"Hanaicantdothis.." I said in a mumbled and rushed tone as I stood at the edge of the sidewalk doing my best to avoid the ocassional businessman as well as bicyclists that passed me by. I heard an irritated groan on the other end and bit my lip as I waited for a response.

"Euna, we talked about this." She said a bit more clearly this time. "If you're just going to mumble away into your ty flip phone, please don't call me." She finished and I snorted crossing my over my chest.

"It's not my fault, I've got a ty phone." I replied clearer this time. "And that is besides the point." I added on shortly after.

"Then what is the point?" She tested. "You woke me up after a double shift, Euna." She continued on making me feel the guilt that always came with me having to go to her for advice especially since she works so hard at the hospital and her advisors are total douchebags and usually dump all sorts of double shifts on her and whatnot. God, I'm such a horrible bestfriend. I thought to myself allowing my focus to slip away. It wasn't until I could hear my name being called out that I was brought back into focus. "Euna!" She called over the other end once again.

"Y-yeah?" I asked this time a bit unsure about where my thoughts would have taken me.

"You think too loud." She paused. "I was just kidding, you know.You can call me anytime needed." She added on. "I'm always here for you even after double shifts." She finished off to which I let out a relieved sigh. "Tell me what's up. What can you not do?" To each her own, I began explaining how I couldn't apply for this position of a live-in-photographer. 

"Why would they want a sixteen year old who can barely afford to feed herself to take pictures of their idols." I said trying to keep from stumbling over my words. "There are a thousand other people who are probably better than me who plan on applying and there is no way that I have a shot at this." I continued on rambling off into a random subject of how my height will probably be the reason as to why I'm not chosen.

"Good god, dongsaeng." She laughed from the other end causing me to pout. "Your height and age will have nothing to do with whether they pick you!" I frowned at this even more. "They want people with skills and experience, Euna. They don't give a if you're only sixteen years old or if you're like 4'11"." I furrowed my brows together and scrunched up my nose.

"Unnie!" I whined. "How is that supposed to make me feel better?!" I continued feeling a bit insulted. "The only skills I've got are wedding photos, headshots, and those photos I take of you, my brother, and strangers who think I'm ing insane!" I bit my lip again looking around after realizing that I had said that quite loudly. "They're not going to pick me." I said quietly as an after thought.

"Euna, you don't know that." I heard her chastise. "And we both know that you've got more than enough skills to blow them away." She paused. "I want you to open up your portfolio right now and look through all those pictures you have of Jaewon." She said suddenly. I felt my breathing hitch as I thought about going through those pictures again. I couldn't do that. Especially with all the memories they brought back. I eyed my messenger bag but made no move to open it and pull out the offending folder.

"We both know that I'm not going to do that." I replied softly attempting to mask the pain in my voice, but it still came through. She didn't care though. I had every reason to be in pain. "I don't need to see them especially when I was the one there to take them." I added on a bit uneasily as I stared down at my shoes. "How was he yesterday by the way?" I asked. "I didn't get a chance to visit." I heard another loud sigh from the other end.

"The same as ever, Euna." That was all she could say and I could understand that. "Nothing has changed-" I cut her off.

"Thanks for telling me." I sighed as I shifted my weight onto my right leg before turning back toward the large building behind me. "Looks like I'm going to attempt to get myself a job." I breathed into the receiver with a sigh. "Just because I need the money." I finished with a small smile. I heard another chuckle from the other line as she spoke a few more encouraging words before we said our goodbyes. I hung up and slipped my phone back into my pocket and took in a heavy breath. I proceeded to look down at the nearly crumpled up flier in my left hand reading through small notes scrawled in the left hand top corner right next to the words “PHOTOGRAPHERS-FOR-HIRE”. Reading through the list that Hana had kindly made for me, I checked off all the things that I needed.

1.Portfolio, check.

2. Professional attire, this is as professional as I could afford, so check.

3. Resume, check.

4. Pen, check. 

I nodded to myself after going through my mental check list, mustered up the most determined face I could, and walked into the lobby of the building before making my way up to the front desk. Being me, I almost turned my heel and left as soon as I saw the intimidating woman sitting on the other side of the counter. All the determination had left me, but I still pressed on.

Umm.. Hello?” I said quietly with as much politeness and confidence I could muster up, but was immediately greeted by what I found to be cold corporate harshness.

How may I help you?” She asked giving me quite the glare and looking over my outfit as I stepped up. Guess I'm not as professional looking as I thought. I immediately fumbled with my words as I opened my mouth. This caused her to glare at me more.

.. Uhh.. I'm.. H-here to.. a-a-apply.. for the live in photog.. photographers position..” I managed to stammer out dumbly. I scratched the back of my neck as she rolled her eyes at me. She didn't reply. Instead she grabbed a sticky note, scribbled some words on it, and pushed it across the counter, and over to me.

Third floor, fourth conference room on the left, you're number forty-five.” She said as curtly as possible. My eyes widened a bit when she said forty-five. When she caught me staring at her, she sent me another glare and I immediately scurried away toward the elevator pressing the button and nearly jumping as it opened and a group of fairly attractive boys came out talking to each other. I didn't catch a glimpse of any of their faces, but I'm fairly sure they saw mine. I avoided their eyes by staring down at my feet and once they were gone, I entered the elevator and made my way to the third floor. I could see why I was counted as number forty-five. There was already a long line of people ahead of me. All of the other applicants were obviously older than me and most of them were men. Upon seeing me, I found a number of glares and smirks. I mentally groaned at the situation I was placed into, but got into line anyway. This is going to be a long day.

 


 
Author's Note:

Well, here's another author's note. That concludes the first chapter. I will probably go back and add more to it when I see fit, but I hope you enjoy it anyway. If you've read it, please leave some feedback. I'd very much like that and it would mean a whole lot to me.

Thank you again. Please have a nice day.

- thesmilinggod

The Not So Professional Outfit