chapter 1

Fated To Love My Best Friend

I laid on my stomach on my bed, flicking through the pages of the magazine in my hands. I was annoyed that my life was about to be ruined in a matter of months because of one person.

"ARGHHH!!! Why can't mom understand that I can find my own husband?!" I thought to myself.

 I heard soft knocking against the bedroom door and it slowly creaked open.

"May I come in?" my mom asked.

"Mm, yeah."

She crept inside and seated herself on the bed beside me.

"You know I would never do anything to you if I didn't think you'd be happy and safe. You know that, right?" She carried on.

"Of course I do, mom. But what if I'm not happy or safe?" I whined, sitting up a bit and tugging at her arm.

I desperately tried to hide how fearful I was. I could control the tremor in his voice to a degree. I could consciously will my body movements to be less stilted. I could make myself smile somewhat even if it looked pasted on. But my perspiration was a law unto itself and in no time at all there were two darkly staining patches under each armpit.

“Please sweetie. Give it a try, okay? It may be better than you think,” she tried to console me.

I took a deep sigh and considered all the points. I wasn’t exactly in a relationship at the moment. I also didn’t want to disappoint my parents by not agreeing to their decision. I mean, they did allow me to pursue my dreams of studying overseas. Granting them their wish of seeing their only daughter get married isn’t that bad, right?

“Fine, I will…but I don’t promise to like the guy,” I replied.

“Yes, yes, yes! Now get ready. You’re going to meet your other half and his parents tonight,” she said.

“WHAT?!”

My eyes widened at the shock at what I just heard. “Mom, are you having a fever today? Are you really okay?” I felt her forehead. She slapped my hand away and tugged me towards my closet.

“You heard me! Now wear something pretty,” she told me and left my room, leaving me dumbstruck.

 

“You look like a wrapped tortilla in that dress,” my mom frowned, eyeing every inch of my body like I was on display at one of her fashion shows

“I know but this is the only dress I own!” I whined, stomping on the pedestal she made me model on. I knew that I was acting immature about this but if mom said I looked ugly in that dress even with my hair and make-up done, she was more than right. She wasn’t working in a fashion agency for nothing.

She sighed, looking around my room. She was already dressed in a long maroon gown designed by none other than herself. “The meeting is in an hour. Maybe there’s some accessories around to distract it from this ugliness.”

She walked into my closet, looking through every nook and cranny of wooden jewellery chests drawers.

I heard my mom’s shrilly gasp from my closet. “Yah! Did you not see this dress?”

She rushed out and shoved a big shopping box in my face, to my surprise it was a gift from my best friend, Kim Myungsoo. I opened the box and gasped. Where did this come from?

“Don’t even bother looking at it until it’s on you! Now go put it on!”

I was spinning around like her Barbie doll as she didn’t even let me have any say until she zipped the dress. She stopped me by grasping my shoulders, letting me stand full in front of the mirror.

Wow. That’s me? She wore a long purple dress covering in beautiful white lining across the top part of the dress. The bewitching violet ribbon lining intoxicated everyone in the dresses beauty - the radiant silk ran down to the bottom of my magnificent feet. The intricate neat lacing made me into a feminine illusionist making every mortal fall in love with the dressed beauty. The delicate ribbon introduced attention to the lacing lining up against the .

“Do you really not remember buying this dress?” She remarked. “It’s too gorgeous to be forgotten, my dear.”

“Heh, I guess so.” I twirled around in my dress, watching it circle under my feet.

“Let’s get going then.”

 

He sat with his parents at a table of six as they waited for me and my family to arrive. His parents all of a sudden stood up.

“Son, stand. They’ve arrived,” his mom hissed. He stood up and rolled his eyes in annoyance.

I unwillingly followed my parents to the table that I would be dining at. At first I didn’t bother to look up until my mom scolded me and told me to act like an adult. Whatever that means.

I looked up and greeted my future parents in law and I was faced with a prince.

He was wearing an all black suit and when I mean black, I meant all black to the point his pale skin gleamed wonderfully against the fabric. We matched and yet we didn’t, a deep contrast that complimented each other well.

“Oh! It’s been so long since I’ve met you,” my mom gushed.

His eyes scanned my mom, letting out a smile and he bowed slightly. His face fell at the sight of me and suddenly he froze up. He wouldn’t stop staring at me with an unreadable expression.

“Hello, ----.”

 

 

 

 

 

......................................

After so long, finally I updated! <3