Chapter 1

Long Time No See

As I stood there amongst the crowd of screaming people, I held my breath at how different he looked. The old childhood friend who I used to goof around with during worship practice was now standing in front of thousands of adoring fans, living out his dream. He was always meant for the stage, we both knew it. While I hid behind in the back, he was always at the front, the spotlight always shining on him. I felt this immense happiness in me, but also a shadowing sadness behind it.

the whole night, whenever he was on stage, my eyes were just drawn to him. I admit it; I missed him. I missed his stupid face, the way his eyes would just disappear when he smiled or the way his two front teeth would protrude. I felt this great burden in my heart, feeling as if it was my fault for him being so far away. But then again, he wouldn’t be where he was now if I hadn’t pressured him to go for his dreams.

That day I had found out that YG had an audition going on, I immediately thought of him. Having his brother relay the message, I didn’t know that in the end, it would be more difficult for me to see him leave. After days of convincing, he was finally able to muster the courage and audition. As soon as he got in, we all celebrated.

Once the whole performance ended, I met up with his family before they went to see him.

“Why don’t you come in with us?” his mom asked. I shook my head, reassuring her that it would be better if we met a different way. I made my way outside where a sea of fans stuck around, waiting for a chance to see them. I looked back at the doorway I just walked out of and sighed. I guess I’ll play the waiting game once more.

It took about an hour and a half for the throng of people waiting outside to slowly dissipate. Even then, there were still tens of fans just waiting around in some corners. I watched each and every one of them, holding their signs for their respective favourite.  One caught my eye specifically and I smiled. This is what he always wanted and he achieved it at such a young age.

Soon enough, s and family walked out of the building one by one. My heart soon started beating faster as my anticipation to see him rose. I heard his laugh as his mother came into my view and she saw me in her peripheral. I put a finger to my mouth, indicating her to keep quiet about my presence. She just smiled and hugged her son good bye as they headed towards their own vehicle. When it was just he and some of s left, I cleared my throat and got off the bar that served as my seat.

“Kim Jiwon-ah,” my voice almost cracking. He looked around, confused. Once he finally spotted me, I could see the utter shock in his face. His eyes even widened. I felt my heart palpitate as a grin spread through my face.

“Long time no see, how have you been?” I sang a part of their song.

A wide smile then spread across his face and his eyes disappeared again. Before I knew it, his scent filled my nose and his arms were wrapped around me. I buried my face in his chest, getting another whiff of him.

“I can’t believe you’re here!” he said, hugging me tighter.

Soon, we started to hear howls and teasing behind him and he pulled away, but kept his arms around my shoulders.

“Aren’t you going to introduce us?” one of them asked.

“This is my noona from the states. We were in worship together,” he said as we all bowed to each other.

“Oh, the one you wrote –“

“Yah, Yah,” he interrupted the oldest member. “Hyung, can you get these guys in the car?” he asked his manager.

I bowed to them as they each got into the car, aside from Jiwon, who now goes by Bobby.

“You should go too. It’s late. You should get some rest and hang out with your members,” I said regretfully.

“How about you? How are you getting home? How did you even get here? Do you nee—“

"Kim Jiwon, don’t worry. I came here with your family. I told them not to tell you so I’d surprise you,” I laughed.

“I really am surprised! How did you get my umma not to say anything?” he kept on with the questions.

“We’ll talk some other time. Just go be with your members now,” I said, pushing him towards the van.

“Okay, okay,” he said, slowly walking towards it.

I bit my bottom lip and slightly bowed. He looked back at me and I waved. As he got into the van, I slowly made my way towards where his family was waiting. I just took a couple steps before I heard him calling my name. I turned around and saw him running towards me. I then felt his arms wrapped around me again and I couldn’t help but smile. As I timidly wrapping my arms around him, I felt him kiss the top of my head.

“I’m sorry you waited so long,” he whispered as he buried his face in my shoulders.

“It was worth it.”