The first and final shot

Love Needs No Words

Alone, the 8 year old Minho walks down the alley to his school. He never looks anywhere other than his own two feet, as if he's counting his own steps.

He is at his 107th step when he walked pass a butterfly garden. He gave the main entrance a stare before he continues walking to his school. Because of what he had seen on TV, Minho became really interested in butterflies. But he's from a poor family, and the entrance fee to the garden is expensive.

Minho is at his 156th step when suddenly someone pushed him from his back. Completely losing his balance, the poor boy fell on the ground.

"Move away, dumb!" a boy from his class said as he walked to Minho. Someone like Minho is always bullied at school.

The boy was about to push Minho again when suddenly a skinny boy gave him a punch on his face.

"Taemin, do you want to die?!" the bully shouted as he rubbed his cheek, he looks so angry at the skinny boy who looks more like a cute girl with his pretty, long hair.

"I'll tell your mother what you've done to Minho hyung!" Taemin shouted. He is a brave boy, he's not afraid of the bully's threat. Upon hearing that, the boy quickly left the two. He's a bully, but still, he's a seven year old kid who is scared of his parents.

Taemin helped MInho to stand on his feet again, and with a smile he greets him.

"I'm Taemin. My class is just besides yours, hyung. Let's be friends!"

Minho thought this boy will make a very cute girl. If he’s a girl, that is.

Instead of introducing himself, or greets the seven year old Taemin back, all he did is a 90 degree bow.

"No, no, you don't need to bow, hyung," Taemin said. He then, took Minho's hand in his and dragged the poor boy with him.

"Let's go to school together. From now on, I will protect you!" Taemin promised. It sounds so sincere, Minho is touched. But slowly, he pulled his hand from Taemin's grip. Taemin turns to face him with a questioned look.

But I am not like you. I am different. People hate me for being different, no one wants to be my friend. If you take me as your friend.. people might laugh at you. I am not like you..

That's what Minho thought, but he didn’t say it. He can't.

"Are you worried about being different? I know about you. People at school are talking about it since you entered our school. So what if you can't talk? I am talkative enough for both of us!" Taemin said with a cheerful face. He goes behind Minho and gave him a slight push on his back.

"You don't want to be late to school, ne hyung?"

That's how Minho got his first and only best friend. He is mute since born. He can never talk, but God gave him a very honest friend who never leaves his side.

 

 

*     *     *

 

 

Seven years later..

 

"Hyung!" Taemin shouted as he jumps on Minho's bed. 15 year old Minho who only has his pants on, was still sleeping at that time quickly moves to the corner of his bed, using his blanket to cover his muscular body as he heard Taemin's shout. His body is well built even at such a young age since he spends lots of times in a gym.

"Sorry, hyung," Taemin said as he went off the bed, chuckling at the same time at Minho's reaction. They were very close to each other, Taemin can just enter his house and even his room without knocking.

It's okay. I'm not angry, just shocked.

Minho's smile explains it all, much to Taemin’s relief.

"Hyung, you didn't lock your house! What if a thief came in?" Taemin asked.

You're here to protect me, right?

And Minho ruffles Taemin's hair.  He can still remember the promise Taemin made seven years ago.

"Right! Hyung, it's already 9 am. Why are you still on bed?" Taemin asked as he dragged a chair, places it besides Minho's bed and sit on it.

I study a lot for my exam and I went to bed very late last night.

Being together for seven years, Taemin can already understand the sign language and communicates well with Minho.

"Ah, really? You work too hard, hyung," Taemin said.

His face suddenly cheered up as if he remembers something as his hand reached for something in his back pocket.

"Hyung, I got these!" Taemin said as he took out two tickets. Minho's eyes widened when he saw the tickets to his dream place, the butterfly garden.

One of the tickets is for me?

"Of course, hyung!" Taemin said, nodding his head at the same time. Minho thought Taemin looks so cute when he did that. Well, Taemin is always cute no matter what he did. Without him knowing why, two blushes appeared on his cheeks.

"Hyung? Are you okay? Do you have a fever? Why are you so red?" Taemin asked so many questions as he climbs on Minho's bed again. In a blink of an eye, Taemin is now on the elder boy, more like straddling him.

The skinny boy leans down a bit and he feels Minho's forehead with his.

What.. are you doing..?

"Your body temperature is normal, so why are you red? Don't tell me you're blushing?" Taemin jokes.

Stop joking, Taemin.

"Do you like me, hyung?" Taemin suddenly asked, and this times he looks serious, Minho thought he is no longer joking.

Why are you asking?

It took Minho almost a minute to reply. Taemin let out a heavy sigh and went off the bed slowly.

"We're too young, right," he said, more like trying to make himself to feel better. His act that obviously portrays his disappointment made Minho wondered.

What if Taemin feels the same way towards him, too?

Minho quickly shook his head at his own thought. How can that be even possible? Taemin is very popular at school. Why would he fell for a voiceless guy, right?

"Let's go, hyung! I'll treat you lunch too later!" Taemin said, and now he looks cheerful again, much to Minho's relief.

Are you celebrating something today?

Minho asked as he grabbed his towel, flashing his muscular arms at the same time. He has no intention of making Taemin blushes, though.

Taemin quickly shook his head and clears his throat, hoping for Minho didn't caught him blushing at his guns just now.

"Today is our friendship anniversary, hyung!" he quickly said, pouting at the same time. Minho quickly checked the calendar on his wall, and he saw the date.

I'm so sorry, I forgot..

His eyes look so pitiful Taemin quickly gives him a hug.

"Don't worry, hyung. That's why I'm here to remember it for both of us!"

Thank you. I'll buy you something, okay?

And Minho ruffles Taemin's long hair.

"Yay!" Taemin jumps.

 

*     *     *

 

 

Four more years later..

 

Minho is lying on his bed. He's reading his novel when his alarm clock rings. He quickly jumps from his bed and his fingers reach for the remote control. He turns on the television in his room, and takes a comfortable seat on his bed as Music Bank is starting.

Taemin left the town last four years, a few weeks after their friendship anniversary and joined SM Entertainment as a trainee. He debuted as a solo and Minho is always supporting him since then, even though he's sad at the fact it's really hard to meet Taemin now. They only meet three or four times in a year, but they still keep in touch with each other on the internet.

Taemin is very popular now. Both guys and girls are chasing after him, Minho knows he doesn’t have a chance to be with the boy he fell in love with years ago.

 

 

*     *     *

 

 

Taemin's 19th Birthday

 

Both of them are sitting under the tree. Taemin is holding a big frame in his hands. It's a gift from Minho, contains beautiful replicas of butterflies in it, marking their first meeting in front of the butterfly garden eleven years ago.

They didn’t talk much. It's been awhile since their last conversation, so Taemin feels a little bit awkward with Minho, so he chose to stare into the night sky, counting the stars. Despite of their awkwardness, he still chose to celebrate his birthday with the guy he had fall for years ago.

Minho on the other hand, is filling his time adoring Taemin's beauty. He's really pretty no matter what hairstyle he pulls.

"Hyung," Taemin suddenly called for him, but he is still staring at the sky.

Minho waits for him to continue his sentence.

"My company will send me to Japan after this. I’ll promote there,"

Minho's heart sank upon hearing that. The distance between them is big enough just by having Taemin being an idol. Japan? Minho knows he doesn’t want that.

But who is he to stop Taemin's dreams?

Taemin suddenly turns to him, grabbing Minho's hands in his.

"If only you asked me to stay.. I won't go, hyung.."

Minho's heart skipped a beat upon hearing that.

Does Taemin feels it too?

"Don't you want me to stay here with you, hyung..?" Taemin asked again. A few years spent away from Minho, he's been thinking lots of things. He sometimes can feel that Minho loves him too, but he is not sure of it. Both of them are adults now, Taemin wishes to have a serious, stable relationship with the guy he loves. But the distance between them, between his dreams and his love, Taemin is very confused.

But, your dreams..

"Forget about my dreams, hyung! Do you love me or not?" Taemin quickly asked, he looks so determined.

Up until now, Minho never said "I love you" to anyone. His hands shiver.

He really loves Taemin.

"Hyung.." Taemin called for him again.

Your dreams, Taemin.. I don't want you to sacrifice-

"Why are you like this.. Even those three simple words.. you can't..!" Taemin never looks so disappointed as he stood up on his feet and runs to his car.

Minho was dumbfounded for a while before he quickly chases after Taemin, but failed to catch up.

He tried to call for the boy he loves, but he failed to utter anything. He failed to speak since forever.

Taemin, after eleven years you stay with me, only now you questioned my ability to speak..?  

I love you, I really do..

And that night, Minho’s tears fell down for the first time.

 

*     *     *

 

6 years later

 

Taemin is now in Spain, wearing a very fine, white tuxedo. He is on hiatus since last year to focus on his personal life.

He is in his room, fixing his hair a bit in front of the mirror. When he's satisfied with his appearance, he walks out of his room towards the living room. He bought the house last two years since he stepped into the country to continue his studies in music, together with his boyfriend, Kai. Kai is also an idol, and both of them understand each other really well since they are sharing the same profession and interests.

And of course, Kai never fails to let Taemin know that he loves him so much.

Taemin watches Kai as he is looking at random pictures hanged on the wall. Kai looks gorgeous in his white tuxedo, Taemin has to admit that. They're going to get engaged tonight, both of them are so nervous.

Only then Taemin realized Kai had spent a longer on a certain picture frame. The frame with butterfly replicas he got from Minho last six years. That was his last birthday gift from him since that night was the last time they were together. A few days after the incident, Taemin flew to Japan for his promotion. Even after he went back to Korea, he never contacts Minho again. He ignored all the emails and letters Minho sent.

Simply because the guy he loves didn't say the three words.

Yes, Taemin is being stupidly childish. Selfish, too.

During the six years they're separated, many times Taemin had thought of going back to Minho, but he always shoves that thought away, and made up his mind that Minho and him can never be together. That's also the reason why he dated Kai since the last two years.

Even though they're happy with each other, deep inside Taemin knows Kai is not for him. But he doesn't even know why. He's still looking for the answer until now.

"Where did you buy this, Taemin?” Kai suddenly asked, his eyes are still on the frame.

"It's a gift from a friend," Taemin replied as he made his way to Kai. All memories he shared with Minho since they were kids started to appear on his mind as he utters that sentence.

"This is really a piece of magnificent art," Kai said again, still staring.

"They're just some dead butterflies," Taemin responded, as the pain in his heart stung even more as he remembers the first day he met Minho in front of the butterfly garden.

"From now on, I will protect you!"

"So what if you can't talk? I am talkative enough for both of us!"

Taemin started to feel guilty. How could he punish Minho just because he can't say those three words..? How could he betray the pure relationship they shared since they were kids..? How could he break his promise to stay by Minho's side and protect him, and how heartless he was to question Minho's ability to talk before he left him six years ago.

Taemin's heart started to bleed.

"No, they're not just dead butterflies. Did you notice the letters on each wing?" Kai asked, totally unaware of Taemin's sudden change of expression.

"L-letters..?" Taemin's voice shivers.

"Yes, letters. The wings are decorated carefully with the letters on each; it's really hard to find them. I've look at this frame lots of times already every time I came here, but only today I saw this. Have you ever spotted the letters, Taemin?"

Taemin chose to ignore Kai's question, and give the replicas a sharp glare. Indeed, Kai is saying the truth. There are four butterflies in it, and eight letters on all eight wings.

"I Love .. You.." Taemin read slowly, his heart beats at the fastest rate at this time.

Kai turns to his soon-to-be-fiancé to be after he's done analyzing the butterflies.

"Taemin, why are you crying?" he quickly asked as he wipes Taemin's tears, shock upon seeing tears wetting the younger guy's cheek.

"I Love.. You.." Taemin said again in between his breath as he touched the frame with his long fingers ever so dearly.

"Taemin..?"

"He confessed to me that night.. and I left him.." Taemin mutters as he falls on his knees, losing all his strength upon realizing the biggest mistake he had ever done in his life.

How could he betray such a pure soul like Minho?

And he took a few more moments to cry his heart out. Never had he thought a guy can shed that much tears in his 25 years of life.

 

***

 

Korea

 

Minho stepped into his room and he walks to a small cupboard besides his bed. He opens the door and put in a small box, nicely wrapped in it. Today is Taemin's 25th birthday, and he bought him a birthday gift. But he never gets to contact the guy he always loves since the incident last six years. Taemin must have been so disappointed with him, Minho realized that. As much as he is hurt by Taemin's words that night, the eleven years they spent together is too strong for him to throw Taemin away and move on.

Besides the small box, there are five more birthday gifts nicely arranged next to each other. Each for all Taemin's birthdays since last six years he didn’t get to celebrate with him.

"Why are you like this.. Even those three simple words.. you can't..!"

Minho closes his eyes as he remembered those hurtful words. No, he's never angry at Taemin. How could he? He loves that guy whole heartedly. He understands he's not the right guy for Taemin. If only he is normal like other people, he would have confessed his feelings verbally that night.

Who would have thought a confession can be made through dead butterflies, right?

Minho smiles weakly at his foolishness. He closes the cupboard and was about to jump on his bed when suddenly he heard the very familiar voice, calling for him.

"Hyung.."

He turns back and so the face and the figure he had been missing a lot.

Taemin..

In front of his room, he saw Taemin is standing, holding his bag, and he looks out of breath, maybe because he ran up the stairs just now to Minho’s room.

"After six years, you still didn’t lock your house.." Taemin said, starting a conversation. His hearts is almost burst out of the overloading love and miss for the muscular guy in front of him.

Because someone promised me back then he will always protect me. Minho replied as he stepped towards Taemin.

"That someone broke his promise six years ago, he doesn’t deserve a place in your heart.." Taemin replied as he dropped his bag, taking a step forward.

I have eleven years of precious moments with him. Really special moments, I don't care about the past six years when he left. He accidentally took a wrong path, that's all.

"So you're not .. mad..?" Taemin asked, tears started to flood his eyes when he knows Minho doesn’t blame him at all.

No. But I'm curious. Why are you here?

Minho asked, putting on a fake, questioning look on his face.

Taemin was about to reply him when he abruptly stopped, as he thought of something. Slowly, he raised both of his hands, and for the first time in his life, instead of reading Minho’s sign language, he used it.

I realized that my heart never stops beating for you. After these years, I only have you in my heart.

Amazed at Taemin's skill in sign language, Minho claps his hands. He's touched at Taemin's words too.

I didn't know you're good at it.

"I spent eleven years with you, hyung. What do you expect?" Taemin chuckled a bit. The tense environment between them is loosening.

It is then when Minho brought Taemin in his arms, so close that they can actually counts each other’s' heart beats.

"I'm so sorry, hyung. I'm so sorry," Taemin quickly apologized as he wrapped his arms around Minho's waist.

"I've been so childish and selfish.." he continues, and all Minho did is tightened his embrace around Taemin.

Both of them were in that position for a few more seconds when they started to loosened their embrace of each other.

"I'm.. back," Taemin tried to laugh.

I'm glad you're back. Because eleven years are never enough when it comes to you. I love you, Taemin.

"I know, hyung. I love you, too,"

 

The end.

 

 

LOVE NEED NO WORDS, right ^^?

Okay, so actually this OS is a remake of another OS of mine that I wrote three years ago. The pairing is really weird, you might not want to know, but if you feel like reading, the link is here.

I love 2min so much, so I thought of changing the pairing to Minho and Taemin, nghee.

Please tell me what you think about this OS, neh?

PYNK