1 - Meeting

Beautiful Destiny

It was Thursday afternoon when your parents called you from Daegu. They asked you to come home immediately. You were worried something bad happened to your family but your mom told you that everything was alright because it wasn’t something big. On the way home from Seoul, you kept wondering why your parents insisted you to go home tonight. They even asked you to take a day off for tomorrow.

It was 8 p.m when you got home. You realized that there’s a fancy car in front of your house. When you entered your house, you found your parents were talking to some strangers in living room.

“Chaemin-ah,” your mom called so you can sit with your parents. “Here is our first daughter, Jung Chaemin.” Your mom introduces you to two people sitting across you.

You bowed to show your respect to elder people. “Annyeonghasimnikka,” you greeted them politely.

Both of the guests smiled at you and you smiled back. One of them, the woman, said, “You’re so pretty now, Chaemin-ah.” She then turned to your mom, “Just like you when you were young, Youngmi-ya.”

Your mom chuckled at the comment. “You’re even more pretty and popular than I am, Eunjoo-ya.”

You could conclude that both of the women were old friends.

“Chaemin-ah, they are Mr. and Mrs. Lee, they came here to see you.” Your father gave you some information.

“Me?” You were surprised because you felt like the most important person in that meeting. You really didn’t have any idea why your mom’s friends wanted to see you.

“I want you to meet our son, Lee Howon.” Mr. Lee states.

You somehow could see where’s this conversation going. Arranged marriage. Some scenarios were already playing in your mind as your parents start discussing things you didn’t really pay attention to. You knew you were no longer a teenager but twenty two was too early for marriage, right? You just graduated from a university and now you’re enjoying working in a good company with good enough salary for a fresh graduate.

“So, are you free this weekend, Chaemin-ssi?”

You came to your sense when Mrs. Lee asked. “O-oh, yeah. I am free this weekend, Mrs. Lee.” You smiled a bit.

You went upstair to your room after Mr. and Mrs. Lee bid their goodbye. You didn’t forget that your mom said that she wanted to tell you something after you took shower and changed your clothes.

You walked down to dinner room where your dad was already sitting there waiting for you. You sat across your father while your mom walked to the kitchen.

“Have you had dinner, dear?” Your mom asked while she prepared the plate and dinner for you. You only shook your head. “I’m sorry I have to drag you. You didn’t even have dinner. I cooked you your favorite Kimchi jiggae.” Your mom took a bowl of kimchi jiggae and put it in front of Chaemin.

“Umma, is this what people call ‘arranged marriage’?”

Your mom sat beside you and looked into your eyes. You’re her lovely daughter. You’re nice, smart, and pretty. You’re always be a good daughter and never disappointed her. And all she wanted was nothing but your happiness. She caressed your cheek gently.

“Dear, I won’t force you into any marriages if you don’t want to.”

Your mom held your hand and your parents started telling their friendship with Lee family. It turned out that your dad was also Mr. Lee’s friend. Four of them knew each other since they met in university. And true, like any other classic stories about arranged marriage, they wanted to become family and marry their children in the future. While your family went back to Daegu when Chaemin was 2 years old because of your grandfather, Lee family stayed in Seoul to continue their family business there. They rarely met since then and barely remembered the promise. But it wasn’t until Mr. Lee came to Daegu to have a project done two weeks ago. They suddenly talked about the promise.

It was already twenty years since they had the promise but they still thought that it would work out – the marriage.

“Like I’ve told you, my dear. I won’t force you, we won’t force you, but I hope you can meet Howon. Is that okay for you?”

Well, you hadn’t even met this Howon, so why did you refuse the offer? What if Howon was actually your type and both of you could fall in love? It was not impossible, right? You sighed, it was not impossible but the probability for it to happen was really small, you were sure.

“Okay. Let’s meet him.” You smiled to her mom.

Your mom smiled back. “Thank you, dear. I’m certain Howon is a nice guy. Eunjoo – Mrs. Lee – said Howon is a always be a good son.”

“I’m sure.” You replied. You brought the empty plates and walked to the kitchen to wash them.

“Just rest now, Chaemin-ah. Let me do the dishes. We will go to Seoul this Saturday to meet Lee family, okay?”

“Okay, umma.” You kissed your mom’s cheek and headed to your bedroom upstair. “Jaljayo.” (Good night)

.::.

Saturday came too fast to your liking but you knew you couldn’t just suddenly cancel the meeting. You were looking at her mom before entering the restaurant where your family and Lee family would meet. Your mom squeezed your hand and said, “you look pretty, don’t worry.”

You smiled. You wasn’t too confident with your style. You were wearing black coat on top of your long sleeves light beige dress. You didn’t usually wear dresses, more comfortable with jeans and oversized t-shirt, but since it was a special occasion you didn’t mind wearing them. You started wearing dresses to office, though.

Just after your mother greeted Lee family, your hands started to sweat. You were nervous. You could see the back of Lee Howon’s head. There. ‘Oh my God, what if he hates me by the time he looks at me?’

You balled your hands into fists when Lee Howon finally turned his head. But instead of cold glares, you were greeted by a warm smile from him. Howon stood up and bowed at you.

Annyeonghaseyo, Lee Howon imnida.”

You bowed too and softly said, “annyeonghaseyo, Jung Chaemin imnida.”

.::.

While enjoying the meals, they talked about their lives, also about Howon and yourself. Howon was quite a nice guy. He seemed polite and friendly. At least that was what you could see while he was in front of your and his parents.

“Mr. and Mrs. Jung, can I take Chaemin-ssi outside? I hope we can have our time to get to know about each other.” Howon said then flashed a smile to your parents.

It was not surprising to see your parents beaming happily at the request. Of course they quickly agree to Howon.

“I think that would be a good start, isn’t it Eunjoo-ya?” Your mom ask Howon’s mom while your father and his father shared small smiles to each other. And in the other hand, you were suspicious at how too smooth the event today. You knew you were not that bad, not that ugly, but you didn’t think that Howon would just fall for you easily. Or Howon just a really nice guy?

Geurae. Take care of Chaemin, Howon-ah.” Howon’s mom pats her son’s arm.

“Of course I will, Umma.” Howon smiled to his mom then turns his head to your mom. “Don’t worry, Mrs. Jung.”

You were still in your deep thought about Howon’s action until he brings you back to reality when he asked “shall we, Chaemin-ssi?”

You only nodded and bid goodbye to your and Howon’s parents. You then quited the restaurant with Howon on your side.

“Should we get some dessert?” Howon asked. Still in friendly tone like before.

“Okay.” You replied softly.

To be honest, you were afraid. What if Howon really thouhgt that you wanted all these schemes about arranged marriage? What if Howon wanted it? You yourself wasn’t sure whether you wanted it or not. Sure Howon was a nice guy and, uhm, he’s quite handsome. He looked perfect. Well, a perfect chaebol.

You ended up going to a ice cream parlor not far from the restaurant. After you took a seat and get your ice creams, Howon started the conversation.

“Chaemin-ssi, I want discuss a few things with you.” Chaemin only nodded and that gave Howon a cue to continue. “I’m sure you know what in our parents’ mind. They want us to get married although they never stated about arranged marriage, right?” You reminded what your parents said. It’s true that your parents never really said about arranged marriage, but you knew they expected that to happen. You nodded again.

“They only asked me to meet you.”

“And they hoped we could get along well.” Howon scooped his ice cream and took the spoon to his mouth, he let the spoon stays in his mouth a while before pulling it out. “I’m not sure about this, but don’t you oppose the idea? Because, I do, Chaemin-ssi. But I have intention to marry you.”


 

Well, sorry I think I at writing in "you" point of view, I'll change to 3rd person pov again next chapter. TT__TT 

Thanks for reading ^^