Never Trust A Text From Last Night

Never Trust A Text From Last Night

It’s 15 minutes past the time Taemin is supposed to meet Minho outside a lecture hall in their university but Minho isn’t complaining. Taemin is never punctual and Minho is patient enough to wait. He decides to give the younger another 10 minutes before he actually calls Taemin to find out where he is. Minutes pass before Minho finally sees Taemin coming his way. His close friend isn’t alone though. Taemin is with someone who has the ability to turn Minho into a blubbering idiot. True enough, as they come closer and closer, Minho becomes a bundle of nerves.

“Taem, remember, practice tomorrow at 5.”

That’s Kim Kibum talking, the Kim Kibum who takes the same elective as Minho this semester, and more importantly, the only Kibum who Minho really (desperately) wants to ask out on a date.

“Yes hyung,” As they come to stand where Minho is, Taemin groans, very much annoyed because this is the third time Kibum is telling him this, “I won’t forget alright.”

“I seriously doubt that.” Kibum replies before he realises they have company, “Oh, hi Minho.”

Thankfully, Minho manages to flex the muscles near the ends of his mouth to form a smile as he raises a hand to wave.

“Hi… Ki- bum.” Minho greets slowly as if he doesn’t know how to talk.

Taemin stares at his hyung weirdly while Minho wishes for the ground to swallow him up.

“I’ll see you around then.” Kibum simply returns a smile and waves goodbye.

When it’s just the two of them left, Taemin punches Minho on his shoulder.

“What was that all about, hyung?” Taemin asks his boyfriend’s roommate who has also become one of his closest friends.

“I don’t wanna talk about it.”

“And you think I’m going to let this go just like that?”

“We should get to dinner.” Minho tries to change the subject, “Jinki hyung’s waiting for us.”

“Either tell me now or tell the both of us later.” Taemin presents Minho with two options, “You decide.”  

Minho knows that having Jinki around is a much better option because if Taemin is the devil's child, Jinki is the angel who’ll make Minho’s life that necessary bit easier. Besides, Jinki will eventually find out either way since there are hardly any secrets between Taemin and him.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?!” Taemin is more upset than Minho thinks he should be after finding out about Minho’s crush on Kibum.

They – Minho, Taemin and Jinki – are having dinner together at a local eatery near Jinki’s and Minho’s apartment when Minho finally spills the beans to the couple sitting opposite him.

“I didn’t know you know him.” Minho shrugs, “And even if I knew, do you think I’d tell you? You’ll probably just ruin everything.”

“Hyung…” Taemin turns and pouts at his boyfriend, “I don’t like your friend.”

Jinki smiles and squeezes Taemin on his thigh before he looks at Minho.

“Isn’t this good though, Minho?” Jinki asks and goes on to suggest, “Taemin can help you since he knows Kibum well enough.”

“No thank you.” Minho doesn’t even think twice about the idea of Taemin being their matchmaker.

“Then are you never going to ask him out on a date?” Jinki is a little worried for Minho because he’s the type that will let love slip away just because he isn’t brave enough to take the first step.

“I will...” Minho replies as he looks at the unfinished food on his plate, “Not now… but one day.”

“Yeah, when the apocalypse arrives.” Taemin quips.

Jinki has to resist laughing as Minho hangs his head low, almost wanting to bury his face into the food.

Taemin sighs, “Hyung, it’s already the end of the semester and you haven’t made a move yet… there isn’t any more time to waste. Let me help you.”

“Why are you even so enthusiastic about this?”

“Well, I just don’t want you to always be in the house when Jinki hyung and I-”

Jinki coughs and quickly stops his boyfriend from going into details, “Tae’s right, Minho. If you don’t trust him, trust me instead? We could go on a double date.”

The idea lifts Minho’s spirits quickly as he looks up at the couple who’s smiling so broadly at him.

“Could we?” Minho asks hopefully.

Taemin immediately pulls out his phone and begins texting.

“I’m on it!”

 

Minho is thankful that his friends have set him up on a date, albeit a double date, with Kibum but he should have probably known better than to let them plan the actual date. Because really, only Jinki and Taemin would choose Taco Bell as an ideal place for a first date considering theirs was at KFC. As grateful as Minho is that it’s all because of their company that he has managed to act normal and spend a good, pleasant three hours with Kibum at the fast food restaurant, Minho’s just disappointed that his first date with Kibum isn’t someplace more impressive.

“What’s wrong, Minho?” Jinki asks his roommate as the three of them step back into their apartment (Taemin technically doesn’t live there but he’s practically already their roommate), “The date went well, didn’t it?”

Minho plops onto the sofa and lets out a huge sigh.

“I don’t think Kibum has the slightest clue that that was a date…” Minho runs a hand through his hair and frowns, “He probably doesn’t know how I feel about him.”

“Let’s find out then?” Taemin suggests but he’s already texting on his phone as he comes to sit next to Minho on the sofa.

“Taemin!”

It’s too late.

Just as Minho snatches the phone out of Taemin’s hands, it beeps with a reply.     

And when Minho sees the message that appears on the screen, he thinks he can forget about his chances with Kibum. He tosses the phone back to its owner and leaves the living room without saying anything else.

Jinki is confused but he remains silent as Minho walks past him, knowing it’s best to leave him alone for now. Besides, it’s easier to find out what has happened from Taemin.

“What is it, Tae?” Jinki asks his boyfriend who is looking at his phone with an amused smile on his face.

Trying to hold his laughter in, Taemin passes his phone to Jinki, “Look at Kibum hyung’s reply.”

Honestly I don’t even have room for feelings after that Taco Bell.

 

If attendance isn’t compulsory for the elective he takes with Kibum, Minho wouldn’t want to be in class right now. The reality is that his grade is dependent on his attendance and Minho is not only punctual for class, but he’s also five minutes early. He settles down in his usual seat and decides to make himself look occupied with his laptop so he doesn’t have to face Kibum when he arrives. It doesn’t work though because in a matter of seconds, Minho feels someone sit next to him. When he looks up, Kibum is smiling at him.

“You don’t mind me sitting here right?” Kibum asks for the sake of being polite because he’s already sitting down and is switching his own laptop on.

Minho shakes his head and returns a weak smile. He doesn’t know what else to say or do and so he looks back at his laptop.

“So last week…” Kibum begins and Minho doesn’t turn to look but he’s paying attention to every little sound, “We shouldn’t do that again.”

Minho’s heart sinks. If he didn’t have the courage to look at Kibum before, he surely doesn’t have it in him to meet Kibum’s eyes right now.

“That’s the first and last time I’m-” Kibum doesn’t get to finish his sentence because their professor walks in and silence falls.

Class begins and Minho is already looking forward to the end.

 

As soon as their professor dismisses the class, Minho is the first student to stand up as he leaves the classroom without looking back.

“Minho!” Kibum’s voice travels from behind and Minho reluctantly stops because it’s really not in his nature to ignore anyone, let alone the person that he likes.

He takes in a deep breath and rearranges his expression before he turns around and waits for Kibum to catch up.

“Hey…” Minho greets awkwardly, “What’s up?”

Kibum smiles in amusement, “I should be asking you that…”

Minho sighs, “Sorry, I guess I should-”

“What are you sorry about?” Kibum interrupts, confusion now in his eyes, “Minho, am I getting the wrong idea? Taemin said that you like me? Or is this all some sort of horrible joke he’s playing on me?”

Minho finally meets Kibum’s eyes as he furiously shakes his head, “No, it’s not a joke! I like you… I really do! But…”

“But what?”

“You… don’t?”

Minho is starting to feel confused too.

“Don’t what?”

“Like me?”

“What?”

“What?”

“I don’t know what’s happening anymore.”

“You didn’t enjoy the date right?” Minho frowns as he finally voices out his thoughts, “You said you didn’t want to do that again…”

Kibum nods slowly, “I don’t…”

It’s just two words but it feels like another dagger has plunged straight into Minho’s heart. Minho wishes he can just teleport himself back into his bed and not talk to Kibum anymore.

“Not another time at Taco Bell, of course.” Kibum elaborates, “I don’t think I can afford to stuff myself silly again. I couldn’t breathe! The food was up to my throat when we left and that’s the last time I ever want to feel that uncomfortable.”

Minho can only blink as he takes in what Kibum has said.

Kibum smiles as he goes on, “And well, I don’t know about you but I rather much prefer that it’s just the two of us for our next date…”

“Next… date?” Minho checks if he has heard Kibum correctly.

“Yeah…” Kibum affirms, “You know… without Taemin and Jinki hyung.”

“Does this mean you…?”

Kibum laughs as he reaches out to hold Minho’s hand and lead him out of campus.

“Let’s just go for a proper first date, shall we?”

Needless to say, Minho’s answer is obvious as he tightens his hold around Kibum’s hand and walks beside his date. Although he’s smiling himself silly, Minho still remembers he actually has one more class to attend but Kibum doesn’t need to know that. If there’s ever a time Minho needs to make a smart decision, it’s now. This time, he’s going to make sure Kibum has room for feelings for him after their first date alone together.