Final

Bittersweet

Will you ever be happy?

He paused, placing his brush down. “I am happy now, aren’t I?”

Are you?

Luhan stared down at the painting, tracing the rough brush with his fingers. He questioned himself repeatedly, but never seemed to come up with a concrete answer.

The sun was setting, her last rays slinking beneath the horizon. Shadows fell, stretching across the floor, towards his feet. He let his mind wonder for a moment, about the possibility of catching the sun’s rays, so that night would never fall and he would never have to face the next day.

Fantasies will not get you anywhere.

He quietly surrendered to the thought and left the unfinished painting, inspiration having left him long ago.

 

 

\\

The old lady sat at the lacquered table, scribbling on a piece of paper. She muttered incoherent words to herself as the man behind the desk watched the sun go down.

He glanced at his wife; in the dying rays of the sun, she looked impossibly tired. Her thin wisps of greying hair were falling from her bun and there were deep lines under her eyes.

“Anything else?” The old lady’s voice was comparable to a shrill call of a bird, successfully snapping him out of his reverie.

“The conditions of the marriage, it is settled, yes?”  He pinched his eyes, feeling fatigue slowly sink into his body.

The old lady look over the list. “Yes, all has been recorded.” She packed her things into her satchel, getting up to leave.

“Thank you Mrs Wu, we will contact you again if there is anything else.” His wife got up to send her off.

“There is no need, Mrs Xi.” She bowed. “Mr Xi,” and left the building.

The middle-aged couple watched her go, escorted by her disciple. Mr Xi lit the desk lamps, aware of how quiet it had become.

“Is there something wrong, my love?”

“Does he know?”

“About the arranged marriage?” Mr Xi pursed his lips. “We can tell him tomorrow,”

“Tell me what?”

They looked up to find Luhan standing by the doorway, curiosity burning in his eyes. Mrs Xi acted first, gliding towards her son with grace. “Luhan, you are to be married to Official Liang’s daughter.”

 

 

 

All the birds, all the insects and the crashing of the waterfall were not enough to drown out his thoughts. His heart pounded when he came to a stop, knees threatening to buckle.

“I don't believe this…”

But he part of him already did. As the only child of the Xi Family, it was his duty to carry on the family name. And with no history of relationships, his parents were growing desperate for grandchildren.

You knew it was going to happen, sooner or later.

“I…”

You knew it was going to happen, sooner or later.

He fell back onto the grass and stared into the sky. “I was hoping it was later,” He rubbed his nose, sniffling as the wind bit into his skin.

When he returned to Xi Family Hall, it was in the wee hours of the night. His parents were still awake, worry etched into their faces.

“I don’t have a choice do I?” He whispered, small smile pushing at his lips. “I’ll marry her.”

 

 

\\

The porcelain was to arrive at late noon however, they had reached before the designated time. Luhan, instructed by his father, was to oversee the unloading of the wares.

Unfortunately, he was late.

Exhausted by last night’s spur-of-the-moment sprint and his recovering illness, he awoke when the sun hung at her highest peak. Hastily dressed by his servants, he rushed to the harbour, with his manservant, Ah Bao, trailing behind him.

“Do you have the scrolls?” Luhan demanded, wiping sweat from his brow. He glanced behind to ensure his servant was not falling behind, when a force knocked him back.

Luhan yelped in surprise as he hit the ground.

“Young Master!” Ah Bao reached out, but Luhan waved him off. “You go first, I’ll catch up later.”

Ah Bao did as he was told and scurried off.

The fall had knocked all breath out of him as he laid on the ground, staring up at a silhouette offering him his hand. “Deepest apologies, my lord.”

Luhan held onto the hand firmly and pulled himself up, annoyance ticking inside him. “Watch where you’re going! Are you blind?!”

The man before him bowed deeply. “I’m sorry, it was an accident.”  When Luhan got up, he lost his breath all over again.

This man was so beautiful, it was almost as though he was carved by the hands of Heaven.

Luhan caught himself staring and quickly regained his composure. “What is your name?”

“Oh Sehun, my lord.”

“I will remember that.” Luhan brushed the dust off his robes and nodded curtly, before walking off, his heart pounding as fast as a hummingbird’s wings.

 

 

//

“May I be excused for a moment?”

He took this chance to escape the house, meandering through the streets until he reached the secluded garden. His calligraphy teacher would be too occupied by his reading to realise his absence.

The cherry blossoms were about to bloom, Luhan could tell, by the green buds on the sprays. He strolled the banks of the small lake, watching as the koi elegantly carved their way through the water.

Were there aware of the stones curbing their freedom?

Luhan made his way to abandoned, albeit beautiful pavilion and laid there, watching the budding cherry blossoms sway in the gentle wind. His eyes fluttered close and quickly fell asleep.

 

 

 

Thunder, was what woke him. Followed by the harsh pounding of rain drops. He sat up, disorganized. It was already dark and the rain was heavy. It was as though the Heavens had draped a dark cloth over the land.

Luhan tucked himself into a ball, suddenly feeling vulnerable. The thunder sent chills down his spine and the lightning struck fear in his stomach. He glanced about. The thick curtain of rain seemed almost impenetrable, and the night made the woods look foreboding.

There was no way he could make it.

Thunder boomed and Luhan jumped. He muttered incoherent prayers beneath his breath.

Please… please… please…

Luhan leaned closer towards the pillar. Sprinting past the woods, he saw a shadow, darker than night. His heart skipped a beat and he quickly blinked. It was gone.

“Sir?”

Luhan jumped.

“Oh Sehun?”

The boy cradled a peach umbrella and lantern, his face calm despite the violent storm. He approached the pavilion, eyebrows raised in surprise. “What are you doing here?”

Thunder boomed again. Luhan covered his mouth with trembling fingers, praying that it was too dark for Sehun to see how frightened his was. “I-I fell asleep.”

“In such a secluded place?” Sehun folded the umbrella as he stepped in, stopping short when the lantern illuminated the young master’s tear-stained cheeks. “Are you all right?”

Luhan hid his face, chuckling weakly. “A man shouldn’t be afraid of a storm.”

“But yet I fear the dark.” Sehun placed the lantern between them as he sat down. He produced a handkerchief from the pocket of his robes. “Here,”

Luhan bowed his head in thanks. “What are you doing in these parts?” He asked, trying to forget his embarrassment. Sehun leaned back on his heads, surveying their environment. “I was looking for something.”

“In such a secluded place?”

Sehun grinned. “It is an important item.”

“You are avoiding the specifics.” Luhan mirrored his grin, despite another deafening crack of thunder.

“Perhaps another time, my lord–”

“–Luhan,”

“Luhan,”

All of the sudden, the scholar wished the rain never stopped.

 

 

//

The Liang house was shy of the extravagance the Xi house had. The courtyard in the Liang house was spacious, but the decorations consisted only of two rectangular ponds, a few rows of plants and ornamental lanterns. The kitchen and servant’s quarters were on the left and right respectively, while the main house was situated in the middle, stretching to meet the two buildings.

Luhan had come, despite his parents’ persuasions that it was bad luck to meet the bride before the wedding. But he had decided, after living a life planned out for him, this time, he was going to take control.

Led by a servant, Luhan entered the main house, taking a seat by the window as his tea was poured. “Would you like something to eat, sir?” The young girl asked, her neat plait slipping over a shoulder.

Luhan smiled, politely declining. The young girl seemed to blush, before hurrying off to fetch her mistress. He sipped the chrysanthemum tea, the taste abruptly recalling his conversation with Sehun, about a vast field of chrysanthemums the latter had seen. He spoke with such an excitement, Luhan felt his stomach flutter.

“Luhan, right?”

At the sound of his name he rose, bowing deeply. “Yes, Jia Hui?”

Said girl smiled. “It is a pleasure.” She returned the bow, Luhan thought, stiffly somehow. “But isn’t it bad luck to see the bride before the wedding?”

“It is only, if you believe it to be.” Luhan replied, as he followed her to sit by the koi pond. “Anyway, I was hoping I could get to know you before we… get married.”

“How thoughtful of you,” Jia Hui smiled, her eyes forming crescents. What the matchmaker said was true, Jia Hui was a beauty, Luhan thought. Just not the heart-stopping beauty Sehun was.

“So I guess the appropriate question now is,” he wracked his brain. “Are you looking forward to this?”

“Very much so,” She sat with her back straight as an arrow, the very image of poise. “It will do us good, this marriage. I need no longer fret over choosing a suitor, and can finally settle down.” She patted her cheeks. “I can’t have children at too old an age you know,”

At this, Luhan flushed, unsure of how to respond. “I-I see.” He glanced away, catching the eye of the maidservant from before. She looked amused, much to his embarrassment. “So,” He cleared his throat. “Have you ever been in a relationship before?”

Much to Luhan’s surprise, she appeared sheepish, but the look was gone in a blink of an eye. “Never,” Jia Hui gushed, casting her eyes down. “I know not the feeling of being in love. Perhaps you will show me how?”

Luhan coughed and sputtered, swearing he could hear the maidservant’s giggling. “I-I… I’m not sure about that.”

“Jia Hui! What are you doing idling about! Come back to your duties!” A screeching emanated from within the recesses of the building. Jia Hui curtsied, “I’m afraid I have things to attend to.”

“No, no, go ahead. Thank you for your time.” Luhan returned the bow. “See you soon,”

“You too,” She picked up her skirt, hurrying into the depths of the Liang house.

 

 

//

He waited, almost impatiently, on the stone bridge. His stomach fluttered with excitement, as he fought to keep his cool. The weather was also making this painfully difficult, with the sun scorching the earth at mid noon. He spotted Sehun, and whipped out his fan to feign indifference.

“You’re late.”

“I’m sorry,” Sehun replied, a little breathless. “I got lost on the way.”

Luhan put away his fan. “Are you all right?” He brushed his fingers against a dark spot on Sehun’s dark green clothes. “That looks like blood.”

Sehun smiled bashfully. “I had a nosebleed.” He put a hand on the small of Luhan’s back, pushing gently. “Shall we?”

They strolled the streets as the market buzzed with mid noon activity. Merchants were touting, food vendors were busy cooking and tea shops were filled to the brim with customers of every background. Even in broad day light, the drinking houses were open and almost as full.

After their meeting in the garden, when the storm had subsided and Luhan was warmer from Sehun’s friendship than the lack of rain, he had suggested a second meeting.

“I can show you around town?” He offered, and Sehun was more than happy to accept.

“I cannot wait.” He grinned, as he and Luhan parted ways that night.

Luhan had made Ah Bao stay home, only telling him that he would be out until nightfall. This friendship with Sehun suddenly seemed a precious thing, and he was not about to let his parents ruin it. He was going to have as much fun as he wanted, before he had to commit to his destiny forever.

“Luhan, try this.” Sehun pressed the bag of roasted chestnuts to Luhan, as he wandered off towards a garment stall. Luhan trailed behind, following his gaze to a midnight blue cloth.

“I can get it for you, if you want.”

The younger blushed, waving his hands. “No, no! It’s just pretty, is all.”

“You would look good in it,” Luhan said purposely to catch a glimpse of his pretty blush again. He felt his own cheeks flush, before clearing his throat. “Let’s go there!”

 

 

 

In such a hot weather, it was only right to end the day like this; in a deserted spot along the harbour, with their feet in the water, cooling themselves in the shade of a tall tree. “This was nice,” commented Sehun. He leaned back on his elbows, feeling the wind against his cheek. “I’ve never enjoyed such weather.”

“Where are you from?” Luhan asked, cracking an eye open to catch a glimpse of the boy sitting ever so close next to him (it’s a tight spot). Sehun’s tongue darted to swipe across his lower lip, before replying, “Not around here.”

“But where?” Luhan pressed, yet Sehun merely smiled, shaking his head gently. “I’m beginning to wonder if you’re a fugitive on the run, or a charming boy who thinks mysterious origins are attractive.”

Sehun laughed. “I’m glad you think me attractive.”

Luhan could only grin, as he inhaled the crisp evening air. “Even though I just met you, I feel like I’ve known you forever.”

“Perhaps we were familiar in our past lives?”

“Then it seems we are fated.” Luhan muttered bitterly, “Though I wish it were a different fate.” Sehun, still enjoying the soft breeze on his face, missed his words. He sighed, “It is a great thing.”

Luhan could only smile, as a soft ache blossomed in his chest. Sehun kicked at the water, creating more ripples in the already drifting waves. “When should we meet again?”

“Soon,” Luhan whispered, as if worried the wind would carry his word to the ears of his overbearing parents. He caught Sehun’s smile, and could not help but lean against him, and the heat of the weather suddenly seemed like nothing at all.

 

 

 

The weather was a mixture of rain and sun; slight drizzles and streams of sunshine. Luhan glanced up for a rainbow, but got Sehun’s beaming face instead. His heart missed a beat. “Hello,”

“Hello,” Sehun replied, and Luhan thought he had never heard a sweeter word. “Where should we go today?”

Luhan showed him the people-packed temples, hidden shrines, bustling markets in the neighbouring and faraway towns. On horseback they rode, trotting along dirt roads and through the woods, taking their time as the sun hung high above them.

In a town about an hour from the Dragon temple, they stopped to water the horses. While the stallions drank, Sehun and Luhan went off to rest in a tea house, grateful for the relief from indecisive weather.

“To adventure,”

“To adventure,”

They bumped cups, sipping hot tea.

“But seriously speaking,” Sehun leaned forward. “If given the chance, would you drop everything and go explore the world?”

Luhan pondered this, weighing responsibilities and desires in his head. “I don’t think I could,” He thought of his parents, of the business, and at the thought of the marriage, he felt a small nudge of guilt in his heart. “I don’t think I could.” He repeated wistfully.

“Why not?” Sehun inquired, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Luhan reflected this look, leaning on his elbows. “Well, duties! Everyone is bound to them, as I am bound to mine, which is my destiny.”

“Not everyone,” Sehun shrugged and made a silly face. “I’m not.”

“I just realised after everything I told you,” Luhan tried not to wince at his own hypocrisy. “You haven’t told me anything about yourself yet.”

“I think a little mystery is good for the soul,” Sehun lifted the cup to his lips and took a slow sip, much to Luhan’s amusement. He started to argue but Sehun cut him off, “However, if you are that curious, I can tell you one thing.”

“What?”

“I like you,” Sehun spoke, but his words were almost lost to Luhan, whose eyes had found Jia Hui giggling in the arms of a mysterious boy. He shot up, chair clattering to the floor. “S-Sorry, Sehun-ah, could you give me a moment?”

Luhan missed the flash of hurt across said boy’s face, but Sehun excused him, nonetheless.

Jia Hui must have seen him coming, considering how fast she sprang from the boy’s arms. “L-Luhan! I-I–”

“Jia Hui, what are you doing here?”

“I-I was s-shopping for groceries.” She stammered. Luhan almost felt bad for the boy, who looked incredibly confused.

“I think… we need to talk.” Luhan drew his eyes from the boy to Jia Hui, who was already hunched in defeat.

 

 

 

“I apologise for putting on such an act that day, Luhan,” she swallowed thickly. “Because I absolutely despise this.”

He was taken aback, so bought by the aforementioned performance. “You do?”

“Don’t you?” Her pretty features suddenly crossed with a pained frown. “Forced to marry someone you don’t love, and having to spend the rest of your lives with them?”

Luhan felt hurt, despite himself. Jia Hui seemed to detect it and apologised, but remained steadfast in her view.

“I accepted my fate.” Luhan said meekly, suddenly feeling a whole lot weaker than her. Weak, without a backbone of his own.

Jia Hui gazed thoughtfully into dusty ground. “I do not.” She kicked her heel into the dir. “I did not agree to this. It is only because my family is in need of money, that I am to be married to you.”

“Isn’t your father an official?”

“A lowly official,” Jia Hui scoffed. “With no loyalty to his wife, and has gambled most of his money away. Only Heaven knows how he manages to keep his disgusting habits away from the public’s eye.”

Luhan pursed his lips. “You are awfully straightforward.”

“It has been a quirk of mine. My parents said it was due to this, that I could find no suitors. But they were wrong.” The ends of her lips perked, and Luhan was sure that smile was more genuine than the first one she flashed during their initial meeting.

“Who is the lucky man?” Luhan glanced at the sulking boy a few feet away from them.

Jia Hui followed his gaze. “A lovely boy who sells fans for a living.” She murmured lovingly. “But it is for this reason, my parents refuse to acknowledge him.”

Luhan processed this information slowly. He suddenly felt jealous of her. Of how despite all this, she refused to give in easily. Despite being married against her will, she still managed to find love.  And it looked as though she was nowhere near giving up. This, he realized, changed everything. He blurted a sincere thank you and something about a boy, before hastening, to the person he now knew he loved.

 

 

 

When he returned to the tea house, Sehun was gone.

He panicked, whipping his head, eyes scouring the streets for a lanky, black haired boy. “Sehun?” He panted, running the whole stretch of dirt road. “Sehun-ah, where are you?”

Ignoring the stares, Luhan continued his frenzied search, running through the streets until he found himself in an open field, shouting until his throat itched and his voice cracked. Unbeknownst to him, his cheeks were wet with tears.

“Luhan?”

There he stood, in the field of swaying wildflowers, staring at Luhan with an expression along the lines of relief and hurt. His robe fluttered in the wind, and Luhan caught sight of the blood spots on his violet robe. A surge of affection and worry overwhelmed him. “Are you all right?”

Almost instinctively, Sehun reached his hand toward Luhan’s cheek, thumbing away the tears. “I’m all right. You?”

Luhan placed a hand on the nape of Sehun’s neck, “I’m all right now,” and pulled him down for a kiss he didn’t know he had wanted so badly.

 

 

 

Their lips danced to the melody of the wind, and to the rhythm of the waving wildflowers. Sehun pulled their bodies closer with an arm around Luhan’s waist, and Luhan made sure their lips didn’t just brush, deepening it by coaxing Sehun with his head tilted back.

They broke apart for air, cheeks flushed a deep pink and breathing uneven. Sehun ran his eyes over the other’s euphoric expression, and felt his insides warm. He nuzzled his face into the crook of the elder’s neck, smiling against his skin.

Luhan felt the sudden gnawing of guilt, and he opened his mouth to come clean, but when Sehun placed his lips on Luhan’s Adam’s apple, his thoughts were all but forgotten.

 

 

\\

For weeks Luhan had spent his time with Sehun, now spending more time in his embrace than in his family’s store. Luhan exhaled, expelling useless thoughts as leaned against pole of the pavilion, in his, no, their secluded garden, awaiting Sehun’s return. The latter had left momentarily to visit a nearby temple, wanting to obtain a charm for them. Luhan, weary from the previous nights’ accounting books, decided to stay put.

The heavy snapping of twigs from within the woods broke the silence, as Luhan peered into the slightly dense woods. Sehun was nowhere in sight. He reasoned it to be some wild animal, and went back to resting. However, this time there seemed to be a soft crunch, followed by a yelp. Luhan sprang from his seat and approached the woods fringe cautiously.

He froze, as a pair of white eyes locked gazes with his. Luhan stumbled back, his hands trembling in terror. The black mass advanced. As much as he wanted to, he could not tear his eyes. As he retreated, the beast was brought into the sunlight, and Luhan could see, much to his bewilderment, that this was a mountain leopard. Blood stained its muzzle, and its paw was crooked in an odd, painful manner. But Luhan had no time to sympathise, as he broke into a sprint.

Luhan glanced over his shoulder, and adrenaline pushed him to run further as the leopard chased him. He cried out as he felt a sudden claw dig into his left shoulder. Luhan crashed to the ground, kicking madly at the beast. He shrieked in pain, as the leopard pinned down his other shoulder.

He squeezed his eyes, praying that when Sehun found his body, he would not be mangled to the point of being unrecognizable. He sobbed, squeezing the soil in his palms, feeling the claws tighten–

and splay themselves  against his shoulders, like hands would. They shook him, gently, as if waking one from a dream. “Luhan?”

His eyes opened to find Sehun above him, looking a little breathless and worried. Luhan gripped the male above him in a tight hug, stammering details of what had transpired. He sniffled, and a stale scent struck him with a realisation. There was blood on Sehun’s face.

“What happened to you?” Luhan eyed him suspiciously, all traces of his panic gone.

Sehun appeared sheepish, cradling a swollen wrist as he attempted the wipe the blood with his sleeve, which only smeared it across his face. “I uh…” He began, fixing his gaze on the close distance between them. Sehun prayed Luhan would not increase it. “I’m not… entirely human.”

Luhan inched backwards, abruptly hissing in pain.

“You’re hurt!” Sehun grew alarmed at the growing blood stain on Luhan’s shoulder, but flinched when the older swatted his hand away. “What are you?”

The boy sighed in defeat. “I’m an animal spirit, from the mountains.” Sehun tore a clean strip of his robe. “I was so bored up there, I decided to come here to explore. The eagle always spoke so interestingly of life down here, thus I wanted to see it for myself. And I am having the greatest time of my life.” He beamed, yet nervously avoiding Luhan’s gaze.

Silence was all there was then, save for the cicadas and rustling of the leaves. Luhan looked so thoughtful, eyebrows furrowed so deeply, Sehun was sure they were about to meet. He stifled a laugh, the cloth he just tore, but Luhan did not look to have Sehun anywhere near him now.

“I need to think.” Luhan got up, shuffling over to the lake. Sehun watched him, resisting the urge to go over and kiss him and apologise until this became something worth laughing about. So there they stayed, until the sun fell, and the moon rose in its place.

 

 

 

It had been hours. How many, Sehun had lost count. He had kept his eyes on Luhan’s still figure, but the latter did not so much as glance in his direction. The night had gotten colder. Sehun decided to throw caution to the wind, as called for the elder. “Luhan?”

At his touch, Luhan fell limply against him, face pale and slick with sweat. Keeping a lid on his panic, Sehun lowered the elder to the ground and loosened his robe. “Luhan, can you hear me?” The spirit boy grabbed the drinking gourd, dashing water onto the cloth and pressed it against the elder’s shoulder. Luhan seemed to rouse, sipping water as Sehun pressed the gourd to his lips. He pushed it away, breathing lowly.

“I don't care what you are,” Luhan murmured, wiping excess water from his lips. “I love you, and you’re mine.” He kissed Sehun, square on the mouth, and the latter almost sobbed with relief.

“I wasn’t trying to attack you earlier,” Sehun explained, wrapping the cloth around the scholar’s shoulder. “I was actually hunting. I panicked when you saw me so without thinking, I just pounced.” He tied a knot and made sure the makeshift bandage was snug. “Sorry about the shoulder.”

“So the nosebleed the other time…?” Luhan inquired, receiving a nod from Sehun. He hummed in understanding. “Then the temple thing was just an excuse?”

“No,” the spirit boy patted the ground. “I went to pay my respects to the deity. Burying the hatchet, something like that.”

 Luhan chuckled, as Sehun brushed their noses together. “Shall I take you home now?”

“No,” Luhan rested his forehead against his. “Let’s stay a little longer.”

 

 

\\

The afternoon was still and humid. It was one of those days where Luhan felt far away from reality. The bird calls were distant, and so was Ah Bao’s voice, which was getting louder and louder.

“Young master!”

Luhan broke out of his reverie, his calligraphy brush squashed against the paper.

“Young master, Master Xi is calling for you.”

 

 

 

His father’s constant presence in the study was evident, by the scrolls and books scattered haphazardly across the table. Ink jars were open, and Luhan was, offhandedly, worried if the jar were to topple.

“Son,” his father beckoned him into the room, stacking aside his paperwork. “I want you to come down tomorrow. There will be a new shipment, and I want you to oversee its loading. This is an important–”

Bit by bit, Luhan felt himself float, far away from the conversation and to the tea house, where Sehun and he and discussed exploration, responsibilities and duty.

“No,” Luhan replied, as astonished by his answer as his father was. “I don’t want to.”

“You have to, because I’ll be too busy with accounting–”

“I do not want to take over the business, father.”

The silence that ensued was suffocating. This was the first time Luhan had challenged his father, and set a tension so thick you could cut it with a knife.

“Then what will you do?” Much to his surprise, his father was composed. “What other skill sets do you have, that will enable you a life of comfort?”

His mind was blank. He had spoken out of sudden motivation, but his thoughts were scrambled. “I… I’ll think of something along the way–”

His father leaned forward, as he did when he discussed serious topics. “Along the way? You are to be married, Luhan. You will need to provide for your family. You have no time for thinking, you must be doing.”

To Luhan, this was a sudden slap in the face. The gnawing guilt became a sharp bite– a wake-up call. His time with Sehun was not to last. His chest hollowed, as he felt a lump form in his throat. “I understand. Please excuse me,”

 

 

\\

Luhan rode until he reached the outskirts of town, and stopped by a small inn. Rushing in, he searched for the Sehun’s room.

“Luhan? What are you doing here?” Sehun, pleasantly surprised, peppered the elder with lazy kisses.  

“Sehun, I have something to tell you.” The latter hurried, as Sehun sat them on his bed, pushing books and blankets aside. “I’m in an arranged marriage.”

Sehun stilled and his hands tightened only slightly on Luhan’s arms. “You…?”

The scholar nodded, teeth worrying his lip until he tasted blood. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier. I didn’t know how.”

The spirit boy looked away, then returned his gaze to the elder. “Do you love her?”

As appalled as he was, the latter replied with a firm “No, I only love you.”

“I need to return to the mountains,” Sehun finally said, after a long pause.

“What?”

“Only for a while.” He reassured. “And when I come back for you, I’ll bring you someplace far from here.”

Luhan inhaled, his eyes bearing into Sehun’s own dark brown ones. “You promise?” He asked, suddenly feeling like a child. The spirit boy pressed his lips to the scholar’s temple. “On my life,”

 

 

\\

On the night of his departure, Sehun tied his jade amulet to the sash around Luhan’s waist. “That day at the temple, I got this blessed. I want you to have it, for protection.”

“Then what’s going to protect you?”

Under this moonlight, as these stars look down upon them, Sehun smiled. “Your faith,” Their lips brushed languidly, in sweet meeting, and Sehun was off, his silhouette fading into the darkness of the woods.

 

 

\\

He watched the willow tree outside sway to the breeze, before flickering his eyes to the sky. It was another slow evening, with the sun beginning to bleed into deep oranges and pinks, even a hint of purple, as darkness fell.

Ah Bao sat at a table to Luhan’s left, cracking nuts as he watched the sun go down. Unusual, was their relationship, as a manservant would not usually be seen so relaxed and casual in the presence of his master, but Ah Bao had practically raised him. A little informality hardly did any harm.

Luhan knew the man had no family, sans his parents, but never remembered asking why. With the book at hand forgotten, he joined Ah Bao at the table, pouring him tea to which the older man thanked bashfully.

“My family?” His eyebrows raised in surprise. “They are far away from here, in the North Mountains.” He cracked another nut, tossing it into his mouth. “If you asked me to describe them to you,” he chuckled bitterly. “I’m afraid I cannot do that, young master. Their faces are but a blur.”

Luhan pondered this. “Do you miss them?”

Ah Bao smiled, the corners of his eyes wrinkling. “Very much so, but I’m afraid all the prayers and incense in the world will never get them back.”

The old man looked at Luhan, but he seemed to be lost in a memory far in his mind. “When you are married, you will understand this longing and affection. Treat your family well, young master, for you never know when your last moment with them will be.”

 

 

 

A loud commotion downstairs broke the peace, snapping Ah Bao from his trance. He raced to the railings, Luhan following at his heel.

The Liangs had burst through the doors, Mr Liang dragging a resistant Jia Hui by the wrist, while his wife greeted the Xis with dramatic grace.

“Mrs Xi, sorry for coming by on such short notice, but I’m afraid we must hasten the marriage.” She smiled, yet even from a distance, Luhan could tell it never reached her eyes.

“I don’t mind at all but,” Mrs Xi threw a glance to Jia Hui. “What’s with the rush?”

Mr Liang shoved the girl forward, as Jia Hui bowed her head. “I hope this won’t affect anything, but my daughter here refuses to break ties with that commoner lover of hers.”

Mr Xi appeared, his robes swirling from his hurry. “What is the meaning of this?”

Luhan had already shut out the remnants of the conversation, paling as the collapsed onto the doorstep. He looked to the bleeding sun, hoping that Sehun was already on his way back.

\\

However, a week turned into a month, and the ceremony was said and done.

The joyous celebration had failed to distract Luhan from his inner turmoil, praying that every time he turned his head, Sehun would be there. But by the time the relatives had left, the peace and quiet that followed was as difficult to swallow as the nuptial tea. Luhan tore his eyes from the moon, forcing the thoughts of Sehun to the back of his mind. He would leave hoping to tomorrow, despite how thin it was.

He retreated to the room he and Jia Hui were to share, but the girl had pressed herself to the corner of the bed, her lithe figure trembling with sobs. Luhan reached out to comfort her, but stopped short. He curled up on his own side of the bed, sleep stealing him only after his own eyes were puffy and red.

 

 

 

His nose burned. Luhan inhaled, but coughed, feeling the smoke drag its claws along his throat. He awoke when his coughing fit failed to cease, and saw a tunnel of grey rising outside. “Jia Hui, wake up!”

They dashed into the corridors, eyes wild and confused.

The garden walls had been smashed, the line of flower pots shattered and the trees uprooted. Fire was eating away at the walls of the house. Luhan rushed Jia Hui down the stairs, suddenly jerking to a stop. “You go on first!”

“Are you crazy? Let’s go!” But her screams were lost to him, as Luhan returned to the room, rummaging his closet. His hand closed around the object, relief rushing over him.

When he glanced over the railings for a second time, Luhan thought he would burst into tears.

A leopard stood amongst the chaos, snarling, prowling the perimeters of the Xi house. It threw its paw against the ground, and the house shook as a part of the balcony broke off.

Luhan called to the animal, and its stare sent shivers down his spine. “Stop,” he whispered, but Sehun seemed to hear it just as well. He grumbled, padding over to stomp out the flames. Luhan flew down the stairs, pressing him face into the soft fur of the spirit. He laughed, oblivious to the stares of his parents, Jia Hui, and the servants.

The creature nudged him, eyes staring expectantly into his. Luhan bit his lip, casting an apologetic look at his parents, willing himself not to tear. In one hand, the scholar gripped the leopard’s fur and in the other, the jade amulet. “Take me away,” Luhan pleaded, averting his eyes from his family.

In that moment, a white mist clouded them, and Luhan felt Sehun’s waist in his hand. He gripped harder, tears spilling past his cheeks. Jia Hui had found her courage and love, now Luhan finally had too. Before the white completely stole his vision, Luhan locked eyes with Ah Bao, who waved, and Luhan returned it, hoping the simple action could convey decades of overdue gratitude.

The white converged. He felt Sehun’s lips on his. Closing his eyes from the image of his dissipating family, he filled his senses with the spirit boy, who showed him an adventure, when he believed his only life was bound to his destiny.

 

---

a/n: Thus, we have it. Thank you for reading! This original plot was something a whole lot different, but after a lot of revisiting and revising, I got this, comepletely different storyline instead. I hope you enjoyed it, and any constructive feedback and criticism is greatly welcome but don't bash, because no one likes it. Apologies for any typos. Once again, thank you for reading!

P.S if you can figure out why the title's 'Bittersweet', share your thoughts in the comments, or just wait until I post the explanation, but it'll be more interesthing this way. I want to know your thoughts! :) Until next time.