Picturesque

Picture Perfect

cr. to whoever owns this picture

 

BECAUSE THIS PICTURE SAYS A THOUSAND WORDS.


 

"Are you secretly taking pictures of me again?" Luhan asked as he squints his eyes against the striking sunlight, his hand blocks the light. A shadow cast just below his forehead and before Sehun puts his camera down, he takes another shot. 

 

"You're so full of yourself, Luhan. Can't you see how beautiful you - the view behind you is?" Sehun said as he brings his camera in front of his face to yet again take another picture. Luhan just laughed but he's seriously trying to sound okay with Sehun's snide comment and ran towards the latter who busies himself with taking continuous shots. Luhan hooked an arm around his neck and nuzzled in his cheeks and said, "Oh don't be shy." Then left a kiss on Sehun's cheek. 

 

Sehun loves taking pictures. He does it as a hobby and as a profession. He usually takes pictures for weddings, proposals, birthday parties and other memorable occasions but what he loves capturing is his favorite memory -- his best friend, family and boyfriend, Luhan. But he denies it. He never shows Luhan his pictures because he's saving it for something very important and he feels like his pictures need to be improved more. 

 

-- 

 

While Sehun is in his studio developing the pictures from last night's event, Luhan is busy with preparing dinner. He usually just buys takeout but seeing as Sehun is busy, he wants to surprise him with his mouth-watering meal. He calls his friend Kyungsoo for receipes, "What should I put? I need to make him fall in love with me once again." 

 

Kyungsoo, on the other line laughed at his friend's determination. "Luhan hyung, everyone knows Sehun is in love with you...put carrots and bell peppers." 

 

While he exerts so much effort in cutting the vegetables for his own version of curry, all he did was sigh since he feels that Sehun is less affectionate now that he found his career as a photographer. He feels like the love Sehun shows now is different from when they were just starting. "Well, maybe I'm just being selfish. I mean I feel like he loves his camera more than me." 

 

"Hyung, I think you're overthinking things. Now, put the potatoes and curry powder then wait for the chicken to cook then you're good."

 

"Maybe I am. I really don't know. Thanks, Soo." And he waits for his curry to come to a boil. 

 

-- 

 

"Dude, you really should push through with your exhibit. Your pictures are over the top! You shouldn't waste it." 

 

"Jongin, I'm just starting. It's not like people would care about my pictures." Sehun made his point since he lacks the confidence. He feels like he needs to improve on a lot of things when in fact his pictures say a thousand words just by looking at them. 

 

Jongin is one of his clients. He always gets Sehun for different occasions and now he is willing to budget for Sehun's own exhibit but he doesn't want to do it. "If you want it, just give me a call and I'll fix it for you. Alright?" 

 

"Sure. Thanks, man!" 

 

And Sehun continues to look at his developed pictures. It's all so beautiful and very well captured because it's his favorite. 

 

Then suddenly Jongin's offer sounds tempting and interesting but he shrugs all thoughts of that exhibit and gave Luhan a call. 

 

After two rings, Luhan immediately picked up his phone. "Hi babe. Are you on your way home now?" 

 

While sorting out pictures, he answered with disappointed tone in his voice, "Luhan, sorry I'll be home late. I need to finish some work for a client. Don't wait up for me." 

 

-- 

 

"I love -- hello? Hello? Sehun?" Just when Luhan was about to say I love you, Sehun hangs up on him. He put his phone down rather annoyed on top of the counter and turns off the stove. He grabbed the pot of curry not caring if the handles are hot and dumped the curry in the sink while the steam hits his face along with the anger going straight to his head. 

 

Luhan is really disappointed at Sehun. He doesn't usually do this - going home late, forgetting about dinner and saying I love you to Luhan. Maybe Luhan is expecting so much from Sehun since they've known each other for the longest time. But, maybe it's also true that when you're in a relationship for so long, you'll see difference. Change. And that is something Luhan isn't used to. It would take him a whole lot of adjusting since Sehun is always there for him. Sehun always have the time, especially for him.

 

Times like this, he always confide with his best friend, Baekhyun. Since, his sassy friend would always have something to say.

 

"Luhan, maybe he's just really busy." His friend said while trying to sound convincing. Sometimes Luhan sees small things at a big picture and would make things more complicated. 

 

"No, Baek. He gives more time for his camera. Whenever he's here at home, he's busy taking pictures of our pet fish, our bedroom, his food, seriously even the freakin stove top. Do you get me now? Sometimes, I think, Sehun being a photographer is a joke. Who takes pictures of nonsense things?" Luhan complained as if he has been repressing every feeling and now he has fully erupted. 

 

Baekhyun just let out a long sigh, he knows Luhan too well. He's being his paranoid self again when everyone knows that Sehun is being his normal self. The problem with Luhan is he invests so much in the relationship that Sehun couldn't even top his investments even if he tries. Luhan shows his 210% on their relationship but Sehun lacks the percentage though he seriously want infinity percent for Luhan because he deserves it. 

 

"Calm down, Lu. You know Sehun. Maybe he's seeing things through the lense of his camera. You'll never know." 

 

-- 

 

"Hello? Luhan? Lu -?" Sehun checked his phone and, "! Low batt!" He irritatingly uttered and hurried with sorting out his pictures and immediately charged his phone. 

 

He made a mental note to himself to get an assistant because his work would definitely ruin his relationship with Luhan. He knows very well that he has been spending less time with his boyfriend and he will surely make up for it.

 

As he continues to put the pictures to their respective envelopes, Sehun saw a yellow post-it on his drawer that says, "Don't forget to eat. I love you. - L." He suddenly remembers the time when Luhan went to his studio and brought him his lunch. It was a short encounter since he needed to get back to work but knowing that Luhan always supports him, it's more than enough. 

 

Even if his battery level is at 10%, he tried calling Luhan back but his line is busy. He knew that his boyfriend is probably talking to Baekhyun since he can sense that Luhan is disappointed in him. Who wouldn't be? He's even disappointed in himself. 

 

Instead of trying to get to Luhan's line, he dialed Jongin's phone. 

 

"Hello, Jongin? I know I said earlier that I didn't want the exhibit but I think it's worth the shot. So?" 

 

"Yes, dude! Yes! Let's do it! Let's start planning tomorrow." Jongin excitedly said and Sehun felt the need to talk to Luhan about his first major project. He thinks it would make Luhan happy since finally he will be able to see his pictures. 

 

--

 

When he got home, Sehun directly went to their bedroom to check on Luhan. It was past midnight when he arrived and he feels sorry after seeing Luhan asleep, not in his arms. 

 

He quickly changed his clothes for bed and quietly dips down beside Luhan, careful not to wake him up. Usually when Sehun goes home late, Luhan would wake up and give him a sleepy kiss and back to bed but this time he didn't even stir. Luhan is in deep sleep. Sehun thinks that maybe Luhan's just tired... tired of waiting for him. 

 

Sehun supports himself with his elbow to observe the sleeping figure beside him. His finger outlines the perfectly carved facial features of his boyfriend. He instantly grabbed a camera from his bedside drawer and takes pictures of him. His eyes, nose, lips and he notices Luhan's creased forehead as if he's been having unconscious thoughts again and he soothes them out. "Please, love me... instead of your camera..." Luhan lazily said as he turns his back on Sehun. Sehun knew Luhan was having a dream but he thinks that's how his boyfriend feels nowadays and he feels so guilty about it. 

 

He puts his camera down and instinctively have an idea for his exhibit. This exhibit will make up for all the times he's been missed by Luhan. He will definitely be able to show infinity percent this time. 

 

-- 

 

Luhan woke up alone. He was expecting Sehun beside him but he's not. And again, he feels disappointed. And now lonely. He grumpily got out of bed and went to the bathroom. He's expecting Sehun to be taking a bath at this hour since it's just seven in the morning but unfortunately, he found the bathroom empty. "Where is Sehun?" He asked himself while going down the stairs. 

 

He assumed Sehun surprising him with breakfast but there's no smell of burnt eggs or toast from the kitchen instead he found a box of cereal, milk and a post-it that says, "Bought these awhile ago when you were asleep. Check ref, bought eggs too just cook them. Sorry I didn't want to wake you up. Love, S." 

 

Luhan crumpled the post-it in his hand and threw it somewhere in the house out of frustration. Now, he won't be able to do anything since his day is already ruined. He slump in their sofa and stared blankly into space thinking what the hell is happening in their relationship?

 

-- 

 

"Jongin, when will we be able to finish this event? Can it be done asap?" Sehun asked rather stressing out as he prints pictures from different cameras. He woke up early to go to his studio and print his landscape pictures by machine and the precious ones manually. 

 

"When are you planning?" Jongin asked as he checks on the pictures. 

 

"April 20. I know it's tomorrow...can it be done?" 

 

"Well, is this going to be an intimate event? I meant for the opening?" Jongin asked as he sorts perfectly captured views of the city. Sehun nodded and hummed, "Hmmm for my boyfriend. His birthday is tomorrow and I want to surprise him." 

 

A smile broke out from Jongin's face and assured Sehun that once the pictures are put in a canvas and frames, they're good to go. 

 

Sehun hurriedly dialed Luhan's friends and told them to keep Luhan company for the meantime since he's been really busy with work. He didn't tell them about his surprise since he just wants it to be a complete secret. Knowing Baekhyun, he would probably squeal and blab to Luhan about his surprise. Better to be safe than sorry. 

 

-- 

 

"Let me guess... Sehun sent you guys here." Luhan nonchantly said as he lazily went back to the sofa after opening the door for Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. 

 

"You know, he cares about you that's why we're here." Kyungsoo said as he places a tupperware of Kimchi Spaghetti on top of the coffee table and Baekhyun busies himself in the kitchen to get some plates and forks. 

 

Kyungsoo sits beside Luhan and comforts his friend, "Hyung, don't think about it. He loves you that's why he's doing this. For you." 

 

Luhan sighed heavily and Baekhyun comes back with utensils and sits on the other side of the sofa. "You know Sehun. He has been always like that. Hot and cold. But, usually he's hot. Right?" Baekhyun teased and nudged Luhan. His friend smiled at the thought of Sehun and all his glory but then it was suddenly replaced with Sehun's absence. And he admits how much he misses his boyfriend. 

 

"Right!! Isn't it your birthday tomorrow? Maybe he's busy planning for your birthday, hyung!" Kyungsoo exclaimed to enliven Luhan's grouchy expression. 

 

"Aghhh I don't know guys! I bet he'll forget about it! Let's just eat!" 

 

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo just ate with Luhan since if they still continue with the conversation, in no time they'll be forced out of the house. 

 

-- 

 

Sehun asked Jongin to prepare an invitation for tomorrow. He asked him to follow a certain pattern. Somewhat simple but yet very pleasing to the eye. 

He names his exhibit, "In the eyes of Oh Sehun." 

 

Jongin loves his idea and hurriedly printed ample copies for the opening itself which is the day after Luhan's birthday. Tomorrow would be exclusively for Luhan to see and he couldn't wait to go home at midnight to surprise him with an invitation and cake. 

 

He seriously hand picked his best pictures and manually processed it. Black and white photographic exposure to make dramatic effects, sepia effect at its natural state, the different spectrum makes the whole picture more alive and personal. This is how Sehun puts his heart into his works and of course, the one in the pictures. 

 

He doesn't focus his lenses on things that aren't of his interest or liking. He takes shots of picture perfect moments. And that's what he likes about his job, preserving memory through photographs so it wouldn't be forgotten. 

 

He works before midnight, finishing his canvas and frames and asked Jongin's assitant to put them on their respective places in the studio. After the finishing touches, he went straight to a cake store to buy Luhan his favorite Strawberry Cake and hurriedly goes home. 

 

-- 

 

"If Sehun is not here in five minutes, I will seriously break up with him. I don't care if it's my birthday or whatever. I'm just tired of this!" Luhan mentally told himself as he tries his best to stay put and stop fidgeting in his seat. Of course he doesn't want to break up with Sehun. He loves him more than anything else in this world and his birthday would be a reminder of his heartbreak and just when he was about to give up on his love life... someone knocked on their door. 

 

When he saw Sehun's face on the peep hole, he opened and was surprised with his boyfriend holding a strawberry cake with candles on top of it, singing, "Happy birthday, Luhan. Happy birthday, my love. Happy birthday. Happy birthday. Happy birthday, my baby." Luhan felt tears damping his face since he's not expecting anything from his busy boyfriend. Sehun smiling warmly behind the litten candles and waits for Luhan to finish making his wish, "I wish for unending happiness...with Sehun." And blows off the candles. 

 

 

"I love you, Luhan." 

 

 

 

No one knows what happened during the night. That cake could be on the floor by now. Icing on their faces or all over their bodies. Sehun wasn't able to give the invitation to Luhan, that was his real surprise but instead he felt like it was his birthday too. He was given a surprise by Luhan. And he was longing for it. 

 

No one knows what happened that night but one thing is for sure, Luhan was able to reply breathlessly, "I love you too, Sehun." 

 

-- 

The next morning, in their living room, Sehun's arms wrapped around Luhan's small frame. Luhan nestling his head on to the crook of Sehun's neck and they stayed like that for as long as they could remember. They both missed each other so much and to be able to be held by someone's familiar hold, Luhan thinks that's the greatest birthday gift ever. 

 

"Happy birthday, baby." Sehun whispered and placed a kiss on Luhan's forehead. 

 

"That was the best birthday gift ever!" Luhan happily said as he stretches his limbs, wrapped his arm around Sehun's neck and pecks on his lips and greeted, "Good morning, baby." 

 

"Good morning." Sehun muttered and hug his boyfriend tighter then suddenly he remembered his surprise. He got up and searched for his jacket and when he found it, he fumbles through the pockets for the invitation. 

 

"Actually, last night wasn't my surprise. This is my surprise." Sehun handed the invitation to Luhan and after reading the card, Luhan couldn't believe it. All this time he thinks that his boyfriend's photography is pure nonsense (because he's jealous of his camera) but then seeing that he already put up an exhibit, he couldn't be more proud of Sehun.

 

"I'm sorry too if I don't spend more time with you. I miss you." Sehun apologetically said, his forehead against Luhan's forehead. Luhan smiled and placed a soft kiss on Sehun's lips and muttered, "In the eyes of Oh Sehun..." he sees his own reflection.
 
--
 
A few minutes left before Luhan walks inside his exhibit, he suddenly felt the nerves. The pressure building since this would be the first time Sehun will let Luhan view his pictures. He never lets Luhan look since he doesn't want to. He feels like Luhan wouldn't appreciate it or he just lacks the confidence. 

Sehun admits that he shows his affections differently. He's not the type to be all-out in the relationship unlike Luhan. He also knows Luhan wants more from him but he finds it hard to express himself, so through this exihibit he would make Luhan see that in Oh Sehun's eyes... 

 

 

"Dude, Luhan is already outside! Is everything set already?" Sehun asked Jongin over the counter, Jongin gave him the thumbs up and closed all the lights in the studio. 

 

"Hi babe!" Luhan excitedly said, when he saw that there are no lights inside the studio he felt weirded out. "Are you sure that your exhibit is ready?" Luhan asked, puzzled look in his face. Sehun opens the glass door and led him inside. "Yes, it's ready for you." 

 

Sehun held on to Luhan's hand and guides Luhan to one of the walls. The only light that shines through is from the lamp post outside the studio. He gives Jongin the signal and a light bulb lit up on top of a white framed photograph. 

 

A photo of Luhan giving red, blue, yellow balloons to a kid at a park who is eating ice cream. Luhan's eyes smiling at the little girl. The giggling expression from both the kid and Luhan is captured by Sehun's lense. "In the eyes of Oh Sehun, there is Luhan who looks like a kid." 

 

Luhan tightens his hold on Sehun's hand and smiled. Sehun led him to the next picture, a light bulb lits up and a picture of a hand that is trying to reach for something and the green grass defined underneath it. "In the eyes of Oh Sehun, there is a Luhan who is trying to reach for my hand to hold." 

 

Luhan felt his heart beat fast against his chest. "Sehun..." he muttered but Sehun told him that there's more and his exhibit isn't done yet. 

 

The next picture is a photo of a boiling Kimchi Chigae on a stove top. And beside that picture is another photo of Luhan tasting the stew. "In the eyes of Oh Sehun, is a Luhan who makes delicious stews." 

 

And off to the next photo of Luhan looking through the aquarium, observing their pet fish. A very picturesque image. The aquarium is somehow blurred against the lighting, emphasizing the fish and Luhan's amazed face. "In the eyes of Oh Sehun..." 

 

"Sehun, I think I understand what your eyes can see..." Luhan said over the tears that are slowly forming in his eyes. Half of the studio is lighted up already and he could see that most of the images that are canvassed and framed on the walls are images of landscapes and portraits that has Luhan on it. 

 

And slowly each bulb lights up one at a time, revealing the whole exhibit. Blow up black and white photos of Luhan's eyelids that are closed against the sun light, Luhan's crinkled nose, his mouth smiling and eyes sparkling over Sehun's camera lense. 

 

"Why are you doing this to me, Sehun? I feel ashamed of my jealousy over your camera." Luhan said while sniffling like a cute baby. His tears continue to flow. Sehun brought his hand up to Luhan's face and brushed the tears away and a smile escaped his face. "Lu, why do you have to be jealous when my camera perfectly captures only you?" 

 

Luhan slightly hit Sehun's chest and uttered, "I hate you. I hate myself." 

 

Sehun pulled him in for a hug. Luhan, frozen in his spot, letting Sehun hold him real tight. "In Oh Sehun's eyes, there will always be a Luhan. Whether it's a picture of the city, the picture of our fish, brides and grooms, candid and random photos... there will always be you. You are my favorite picture, Luhan. I love you." 

 

 

 

 

 

Next time, Sehun's exhibit will feature their growing relationship. Together. Forever. A very picturesque love story. 

 


 

A/N: OMG. There goes my attempt of a one shot fluff. I don't know how to write beautifully but I really tried. hehe. Thanks for giving this a chance. 

 

PS. Why is my font so big? :((((( Idk how to fix it. I'm an aff noob lol.