Damn it, Jungkook, not again! [One Shot]

Damn it, Jungkook, not again!

Everyone in the school knows Jin and Jungkook. Wait, scratch that, everyone in the city knows them- the famous brothers with looks that make everyone turn their heads. And when they appear together – it’s lethal.

Everything about Jin’s appearance is enviable, his chestnut brown hair, his beautiful eyes, his full lips, his broad shoulder, even the way the uniform blazer hugs his body that you thought would only be possible in paintings. Jin is the gentleman, the kind and thoughtful one, the guy whom you cannot hate and whose request you can never decline. As if his charm was not enough, he is smart, smart enough to maintain his flawless grade even though he is also juggling his responsibility as the class president. Jin is the one you would give everything – anything – to be able to bring home and introduce to your parents.

On the other hand, Jungkook, he is… less so, to say the least. You can spot him from across the corridor, probably on his candy, running his fingers through his black hair that he probably never brushes, his shirt tugged out and black studs lining his ears. He’s the guy that spends too much time in detention, the troublemaker that you’d love to hate but one wink and your heart is out of the window. The only thing he’s affirmatively good at school is probably driving his brother crazy from trying to cover for his mistakes.

 

“Jungkook, for the hundredth time, can you please do your homework?”

“It’s done.” Jungkook snickers.He pulls out his notebook and places it on the table, before continue on his candy.

Jin narrows his eye suspiciously at his brother as he starts flipping through the pages.

“Jungkook” he growls “This is not your handwriting.”

“Oopsie” Jungkook grins, dodging the eraser that is flying his way.

“I’m not gonna let you go this time.” Jin huffs, hands on his hip.

“Really, hyung?” Jungkook wears a challenging smirk on his face and leans back on his seat. Jin feels a little alarmed. “Because if you tell on me, I’m gonna tell mom what you and Namjoon hyung did in the council room.” Jungkook giggles triumphantly.

“WHA… WHAT… WE DIDN’T…” Jin blushes, stuttering “YOU… oh gosh… you were not supposed to…” his palm comes up to cover his face, which is getting redder by the second “Goddamn it Kim Namjoon, I knew it was a bad idea.”

“It’s okay hyung. You weren’t… that… uhm… loud.”

Jin looks horrified. Jungkook breaks into obnoxious laughs.

“You little sh-” Jin clears his throat, trying to gain back his composure “Anyway, you really need to pass that English class. I still don’t understand how it is possible to get 4/100.”

“Why do I need brain when I have-” Jungkook points at the smirk on his own face “-this?”

Jin deadpans “When I punch you, you will no longer have that face.”

“Awwww hyunggggg~”Jungkook widens his brown eyes and pouts, and Jin hates how he feels his annoyance subside right away.

“Stop it! Anyway, I really need to find you a tutor-”

“I KNOW SOMEONE” Jungkook jolts up from his seat.

“Huh?”

“I mean, I know someone… who can help me…” The younger boy brushes his nose. Jin can’t believe it but the kid maybe blushing.

“Who?”

“Jimin… hyung… from the junior class…” Jungkook avoids Jin’s inquisitive gaze. The tint of pink on his cheeks gets darker.

Suddenly everything clicks and Jin rolls his eyes.

“Seriously, Jungkook? I shouldn’t even be saying this, but you can literally get any guys, and you have to choose the one with a boyfriend?”

“NOT BOYFRIEND” Jungkook argues, pouting “Yoongi hyung has not confessed yet oka…- wait, NO, I mean, Jimin hyung can help me with English. That’s all. I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Jungkook grumbles, sulking a little.

That makes Jin want to pat his head and ruffle his hair. Why can’t you be this cute all the times? – Jin sighs –The kid can be the worst sibling at times, but Jin definitely does not want Jungkook to get his heart broken.

“Okay… I guess, I can ask Jimin about it…” Jin gives in.

“REALLY?” Jungkook jumps up from his seat and throws his arms around his brother “JIN HYUNG IS THE BEST! I LOVE YOU! I HOPE YOU AND NAMJOON HYUNG GET MARRIED AND MAKE BEAUTIFUL BABIES AND I WILL BABYSIT THEM FOR YOU!”

“Jungkook” Jin sighs, again “I think you need help with Biology too.”

“Hey” Jungkook looks up “Jimin hyung is pretty good at Biology too!” and grins, earning himself a punch in the arm.

“Stop it before I reconsider my decision!” But Jin sees that bunny-teeth smile and that twinkling in his brother’s eyes, and he knows he will never be able to say no, especially when Jungkook is this happy.

 

Jin asks, and Jimin says yes, of course, despite Yoongi’s grumbling objection – grumbling because Yoongi still has not confessed yet and he is now regretting. And it was the first time in Jin’s entire life to see Jungkook being so excited about studying – well, as much “studying” as there will be.

“Namjoon, I don’t know if I’ll regret this.”

“You always worry too much.” Namjoon tugs at his boyfriend’s waist “He’ll be fine.” and he suddenly giggles.

“What?” Jin turns around to look at Namjoon.

“Nothing, it just feels like-” Namjoon scratches his head “we’re his parents, you know…?”

Jin blushes and that makes Namjoon laugh.

“Stop laughing” Jin pokes “Our ‘son’ is gonna get his heart broken. You should be more helpful.”

Namjoon pecks on Jin’s lips “Well, I guess I’m the bad parent among the two of us then.” And Jin would argue if he isn’t leaning in to kiss Namjoon.

 

To Jin’s surprise, Jungkook does study, as if he was trying to impress someone. Or maybe he really is. And he manages to pass the next test.

“JIMIN HYUNG! LOOK! LOOK!” Jungkook literally sprints down the hallway, waving his test paper, the moment he spots his tutor “I PASS-”

But he stops when he sees Yoongi next to Jimin, their fingers linked. Jimin laughs, his eyes cackling, at a joke Jungkook didn’t catch. He has never seen Jimin laugh like that before.

And Jungkook thinks about all the nights he spent studying really hard, all the vocabulary that he memorized, about the red “WOW!” comment on his test paper. He thinks about everything that now seems so small and insignificant.

He feels like he has just been punched brutally in the chest, when someone’s hands come up from behind and cover his eyes.

“Hey… stop staring…” Jin’s warm voice rings in his ears.

Jungkook is always that little who doesn’t listen to his hyung, who would rather punch himself than to admit that he needs Jin’s protection. But right now, he stands still and lets Jin squeeze him in for a hug, patting his head “I heard you passed your test”.  

Jungkook’s still silent.

“I’m really proud of you.” Jin gives Jungkook’s arm a squeeze, as if he was trying to get a response – anything – from the kid.

“… Jimin hyung… and Yoongi hyung…” Jungkook is not crying – he is too hard-headed for that – but Jin can still tell how hurt he is feeling.

Just like that time when Jungkook was pushed by a friend in kindergarten. He scraped his knees badly, but he didn’t shed a tear. He put on that brave face until Jin came to pick him up, until “oh my god Kookie what happened?” and “Are you hurt?” and he finally let himself cry.

Somehow, Jungkook feels like that 5-year-old again in Jin’s arms.

The elder whispers “It’s okay to cry sometimes kid…”

And it is two seconds later when Jungkook pushes Jin away, weakly punches at his hyung and fakes offended.

“I’m not a crybaby!” and Jin pretends he did not catch Jungkook wipe his eyes “Crying is for the weak! Jungkook huffs “I’m Jungkook, remember?”

Jungkook folds his arms in front of his chest confidently, and Jin can’t help breaking into a smile.

“You’re right! What was I thinking? Your hyung must have gone old and senile.” Jungkook giggles softly at Jin’s exaggeration and Jin swears he could listen to that sound all day.

“Anyway, since I passed the test, let’s go celebrate with some ramyun, hyung! My treat!” Jungkook grins, despite damp eyelashes.

“Great!” Jin throws his arm over Jungkook’s shoulder “Let’s go then!”

And they walk away, before “BAM!” – Jungkook bumps into someone.

 

“OUCH” The guy with lilac hair stumbles backwards, grimaces, rubbing his arm.

“So-sorry” Jin stutters apologetically, before turning towards Jungkook.

Who looks like he’s frozen in time, eyes widening at the stranger he has just injured.

“S… sorry” Jungkook mutters, cheeks going pink.

 

Damn it, Jungkook, not again!