december i

snowy wish.

2568450hsps09p6gv.gif

Bells chimed as the glass door slammed open and the cold winter breeze came in hurriedly before it was closed shut. A hooded figure came in with her khaki coat lined with fur and a sour expression hidden underneath her hood. Snow had soaked her brown boots nearly entirely and she was obviously not pleased with this.

“If only the weather channel had been more accurate today!” She mumbled under her breath as she tucked aside her purple umbrella and took down her hood to reveal her snow flaked face that was covered with specks of snow from her forehead to the bottom of her chin. A streak of snow had also covered her dyed blonde hair that was unruly from the coat she wore.

“It looks like someone is 10 minutes behind opening time again, Jessica.” Yoochun looked up and mockingly sighed with a strong emphasis on her name as he checked his watch in the middle of wiping the counter clean.

“For your information, I actually got up earlier today, but the weather decided to be an and a snow storm blocked my car from being able to drive at all.” Jessica snapped furiously at her co-worker with her infamous glare as she took off her jacket and ran off to change into her uniform.

“The weather hasn’t been very nice recently. Snow has started very early this year and a snow storm has come with it too, probably twice the centimeters from last year.” Jaejoong frowned as he took out his phone and browsed through the weather app to check the weather for the day, his large doe eyes attentively focused.

“That’s probably why Jessi is so cranky today.” Yoochun shrugged his broad shoulders and flipped his raven colored hair away from his face as he pressed the ‘on’ button on the cappuccino machine and wiped its drip tray for what seemed like the tenth time for the day. 

“Be thankful I even dug through enough snow as high as my thigh to get here.” She scorned as she pinned her blonde hair into a messy bun and started to prepare her checklists to take orders. “I am most thankful you didn’t kick in all the snow in here out of anger.” Yoochun commented as he made a final check on the office before they open and start working hours.

“We’re opening now!” Jaejoong excitedly ran over to the door after his alarm had rung and the clock hit at exactly 9:45 am. Customers had come in with their winter coats wrapped around them entirely, covered in snow and looking for warm drinks to keep themselves cozy in the sudden colder weather. Though some girls probably just came over to see the good looking coffee owner and hot cashier, most still ended up ordering something due to the dropping temperature.

“Everyone seems to order your Caramel Coffee these days, Chun.” Jessica joked as she went off the counter to make another Chocolate Swirl Frappuccino, currently swirling whipped cream along the top and dripping chocolate syrup on it. “Only during winter is when I have to make two at a time.” He said in a factual tone as he pulled his ribbon down from his hair with swift, slender fingers and tied it into a ponytail. “I’ll take this one then, since that customer over there has been patiently waiting.” Jaejoong swiftly took the Vanilla Swirl Frappuccino off the counter and place it on a tray with a plastic straw and recyclable paper napkins.

“It’s unfortunate Sungmin oppa is on sick leave and is stuck with the flu. Loyal customers have said they’ve missed his trademark Pumpkin Pie. Even Leeteuk oppa and Seohyun-ah are away.” Jessica said after she finished talking with a customer who end up being a couple and is about to prepare two Chocolate Lattes for them- one for each. “I’m sure Sunny is taking care of Sungmin. You know her. Leeteuk hyung’s back at home with his parents and Seohyun is currently studying for the examination next month.” Yoochun snorted only loud enough for both of them to hear.

The bells chimed once again and the two employees looked up to see a familiar figure come in the coffee shop. “Yunho oppa, you’re here!” Jessica enthusiastically greeted her brother after she had delivered four Cream Lattes at once.

“Hey sis, I’m just here to order five Black Bean Coffee Lattes, to go of course. I’ll bring some to dad’s law firm since we’re about to hold a meeting there.” Yunho flashed a charismatic smile at his younger sister as he walked over to the counter where Yoochun was to order for his father and his co-workers.

“Five Black Bean Coffee Lattes, all for yourself? I didn’t know you needed that much caffeine to stay awake?” Yoochun teased his best friend; taking in his bills into the cashier before he walked off to make five lattes and put them in a biodegradable tray specialized for takeout orders. “Not only for me, but also for my co-workers of course, since we probably won’t be able to stay awake for the whole meeting without coffee at all.” Yunho shook his head with a sheepish grin and lifted his hand behind his neck.

“Five Black Bean Coffee Lates to go. Thank you and have a good day.” Yoochun politely handed the neatly wrapped paper bag into his friend’s hands. “Pay attention during the meeting okay?” He jokingly reminded as his friend laughed wholeheartedly and swore to him that he wouldn’t.

Most of the customers now prefer to order the warmer drinks and orders over the chilly and refreshing items on the menu, which is according to the coffee shop Jaejoong is “–because of the sudden snow storm that has fallen upon Seoul and the entirety of South Korea. “ Already very uncomfortable with the mounds of piling snow in front of his shop’s windows, all he could do was grunt and walk slowly outside with a giant shovel in his hands to dig out all the snow before it makes it unable to customers to come in.

“Didn’t Changmin say snow melted on its own?” Jessica curiously asked as she tiptoed on her ballet flats and watched Jaejoong dig through meters upon meters of snow. “Well that’s what he thought until 11th grade and he nearly tore out all the hair from Junsu’s scalp when he figured out Junsu had lied to him to whole time.” Yoochun blinked as he caught sight of their boss shivering as he was digging through snow while he himself was cozy and warm inside drying the newly washed mugs used by customers previously.

----

Jessica and Yoochun had worked in this coffee shop or café (that’s what Jaejoong prefers it to be called) even before its first day in the works and had offered to work for their close friend and fellow neighbor Kim Jaejoong part-time as both had been freshmen in college when it had its ground breaking. Jessica is currently a junior who is majoring in Fashion Design and is taking Law as her secondary priority among taking two degrees, as advised by her father and mother who both own their own law firm near Myeongdong, where her older brother Yunho currently works in as well.

Yoochun on the other hand took International Relations as his major and Communications for his minor in the same university she went; only that he was a year older and therefore he was a senior in his final year and upon graduation, he was currently planning either to travel to Los Angeles or Tokyo to pursue his career. Even when they were children, Jessica knew that underneath Yoochun’s humorous and easy-going personality was raw ambition and cunning visions, since he always had a sight towards advancing for a better career and seeing the world was just one of his many goals, even until today. He always saw her pure passion towards fashion over law, which he thought just didn’t fit her personality. Yoochun thought that the strict law practices would just hinder Jessica from showing her true personality and to him, it mattered.

Jessica knew Yoochun as well as how well Yoochun knew Jessica, just like the back of their hands or a reflection in the mirror. Yoochun was always careful at times with his dry humor that may have offended Jessica as she had tendencies to be very disruptive when angry, a trait she shares with her brother Yunho and her younger sister Krystal. She knew how emotional he gets when he watches very dramatic and tear-jearking scenes; therefore it is something Jessica takes into consideration as she, along with his sister Yoona; when they choose a movie to watch for the weekends. They just know one another that well- from the smallest mannerisms to the most obvious habits that probably just never die. They were neighbors, whose parents were like the best of friends and treated the other’s child as if their own and they had their windows facing one another; which meant they would probably still be talking past their curfews. Yoochun also was the same age as her older brother Yunho and went to the same class together, which eventually made him a common mainstay at the Jung manor and is partly why Jessica and Yoochun have become good friends with one another nevertheless.

Like all friendships and relationships, there were times in which the two had gotten into arguments and petty fights about the smallest things, like how she told him she was going home as soon as the bell rung instead of saying she was staying behind after school and left him waiting under the bus stop soaking wet or how he’d spent less time with her after he started hanging out with the “cool kids” in high school. The two have been through so much with one another, going through thick and thin in the most difficult and positive times in their lives – but both worry that perhaps there are many mysterious things one may not know about the other and that horrifies them deep inside their conscience.

---

The vintage clock struck at 8:30 pm and its pendulum swung from one side to another as it rang in the tune of “O Holy Night” in what was the music box version of the famous Christmas holiday tune.

“It’s nearly time for closing – and Jaejoong has changed our Christmas holiday alarm again.” Jessica mentioned as she delivered three mini blueberry cheesecakes on the fourth tables away from the right of the cashier. “It was ‘Angels We Have Heard on High’ last year. It’s not that different. ” Jaejoong corrected her as he started to collect the receipts for the day and calculates what they have earned thus far.

Yoochun smiled earnestly at a young girl by the cashier who accompanied her mother to order a fruit cake they would eat at home and she returned it with a rather coy grin instead. He inserted the respective coins and bills into their proper trays before walking off to their main glass door to flip over the “Open” sign to “Close”.

Jessica had taken out a green bucket of clean water, a gray piece of cloth, cleaning materials that may have included Windex, Lysol and Scotch Brite and a peach colored sponge that was obviously bent from constant use. She carefully set all of those on top of one of the tables and started scrubbing it thoroughly.

“We’ve earned a lot more today than last year’s Christmas rush.” Jaejoong boastfully grinned as he browsed through heaps of receipts and bills that he had counted. Some customers closer towards the main office turned inwards his direction, but quickly turned away and ignored him afterwards.

“The Christmas rush hasn’t even fully started yet, hyung.” Yoochun looked up from the counter with a confused expression and was currently switching off the Latte Machines near the corner of the restricted Employee-only area.

“Don’t say those things so easily and so bashfully, Jaejoong oppa! There are still some customers in here who can hear you-.” Jessica turned to his direction and covered her face for only him and Yoochun to comprehend what she whispered to them.

“No I am not trying to show off, but it has been a while since we’ve all eaten out as a crew. My treat, after work tomorrow we’ll all get together and drink some soju.” Their boss swung his arms in the air like he was on a roller coaster, being too engrossed in the moment to feel anything other than what’s currently happening.

“I don’t think I’m in for some soju this week, oppa. The next days after might as well be a busy day like today.” Jessica exhaled as she set aside her cleaning materials to move to the other set of tables and started saying goodbye to the last remaining set of customers who were currently leaving.

“Yeah hyung, I think Jessica’s right. How about we just go for some dinner instead, without the alcohol, if it’s fine with you?” Yoochun nodded as he started shutting down all the Latte and Frappuccino machines in their coffee shop.

“That’s fine, let’s just have it next time. Probably on the 11th if the snow storm has stopped, hopefully by then.” Jaejoong waved a hand in acceptance even though he was slightly disappointed but still kept a positive tune to his words. “I just realized that Heechul hyung wanted us to finally have a family dinner after nearly 3 years since then.” He chuckled with his head leaning back and his hands covering his mouth as he checked one of his memos by his desk.

“That sounds lovely and it’s a first for him to plan something between the two of you. It’s usually you who starts these kinds of things.” She stares at him slightly startled and surprised, unable to suppress a giggle.

“He probably got his paycheck last week or whatever.” Jaejoong retorted honestly without a second though. “It’s very typical of him.” He added.

“Hey best friend, we haven’t had dinner together in so long? I know a good place just by Apgujeong that Eunhyuk recommended to me.” Yoochun lightly as he places an arm over Jessica’s shoulder as he looked right at her.

“Come on Jess, the two of you should have some BFF bonding – Don’t worry Yoochun and I have gone out many times over the past few weeks.” Jaejoong nearly jumped out of joy to see the two of them agree to go for dinner together, not that he knew anything was going on between the two of them.

“I’m down; I haven’t gone out to eat at a restaurant in a month, as long as we pay for our own meals.” Jessica smiles excitedly with her hands clasped in delight and quickly changes to dress appropriately for the weather outside.

“Are you sure you’re not asking her out?” Jaejoong narrows his eyes suspiciously with crossed arms as he thinks that he asked her out for a date.

“It’s not a date, hyung. It’s just between friends.” Yoochun laughs casually, denying his friend’s accusations just like that as if it was some mere matter. “Have fun.” The elder of the two winked jokingly and the other just laughed again.

Jessica comes back fully covered from head to toe; her khaki jacket that was lined with fur covered her face and her boots that reached her knees. “I’m ready!” She retorted as she slung her backpack behind her back and grabbed her umbrella by the doorway.

“Bye hyung, we’re going to the restaurant now. See you tomorrow.” Yoochun waved goodbye to their boss who then waved back as enthusiastic as them. “See you tomorrow too. Be safe!” Jaejoong reminded them before all the lights were off and he locked the doors shut.

----

Jessica and Yoochun then drove to Apgujeong to eat at a restaurant recommended by one of their other friends and neighbors Lee Hyukjae who used Eunhyuk as a nickname among the circle of their neighborhood. Many kids their age lived around the same neighborhood and went to the same school together, which is why many of them are now part of this tight knit group where everyone just seems to know one another.

The two of them then decided to sit by the glass window sill, facing one another on a wooden chair etched with green and gold embroidery. Matching the sophisticated chairs were oak tree tables that had table clothes with had majestic figures of dragons and other mythical creatures as embellishments. On the contrary, to the restaurant’s typical cosmopolitan and classy interior design, the roof, window sills and even until the counter by the cashier were decorated with Christmas lights and ornaments.

“Eunhyuk does have good taste, indeed.” Jessica commented as she was carefully browsing through the menu given to them by the waiter. “Donghae wasn’t lying this time.” He replied bluntly as he took a sip of the glass of water offered to them as soon as they sat down.

“So have you thought of anything to order? What did he say was one of the best here to have during a snowy winter day?” She asked in a sing-song tone as she continued to look back and forth between the colored pages. “He said he ordered fish fillet, sweet and spicy pork and ordered a bowl of noodles with it. We could probably order a different meal each so we could try the other orders.” He pointed out to the respective categories, each order was organized to in the menu which was slightly folded and creased.

“So you mean we’d share and just take the amount of food we want from each order?” Jessica looked at him with arched eyebrows and curious eyes as she set aside the menu and lay it flat on the silk tablecloth. “Or if you’d like to order separately, it’s up to you.” Yoochun expressed in a very laid-back manner, as the light from the ceiling shone upon him and emphasized his long eyelashes and prominent cheekbones.

“No, no I’m totally okay with us sharing food. It’d be nice to be able to try the wide selection of meals we have here.” She nearly stuttered nervously as her cheeks had suddenly flustered and turned red. Fortunately, he had not noticed and was already speaking to the male waiter, who was attentively writing down every order.

10 minutes later, the food had started to come in consecutively in proper order from course to course and they two of them have immersed themselves in a long-drawn, personal conversation.

“The lemon chicken is amazing as well.” He examined the meal exhaustively, from its presentation, colour, taste and richness and was satisfyingly pleased. “It’s good with or without the sauce.” Jessica confessed honestly as she reached out to take another piece.

“Would you like another?” She offered as she held out a piece by his mouth for him to take. “I could just get it myself, Jessica. I am a grown man.” Yoochun humorously refused even with the part of the chicken pierced with a silver fork right in his mouth.

“You can have it- open it your mouth, oppa!” Jessica impatiently waited for him to open his mouth and bite into the piece of lemon chicken that she had offered to him. He had hesitated for a few seconds, but immediately just bit into it and started chewing into it just to get it over with.

“Thanks best friend.” Yoochun cheekily answered even with food in his mouth to provide some comedic relief in the midst of the slight awkwardness, which was responded with a teasing “Do not eat when your mouth is full.” by Jessica herself and leaned in to wipe his mouth with a tissue.

By chance, he turned to his left and saw his younger sister Yoona looking into the window with a surprised and shocked expression, as she was currently holding onto her cell phone and was her phone was flashing non-stop as she had been taking photos nearly the entire time. “They’re dating? I can’t wait to tell mother this.” She exclaimed loudly as she places her phone into her purse and ran away to drive her car before the two of them would notice.

“Yoona, you are in so much trouble, younger sister!” Yoochun stood up furiously from his seat, putting on his coat with fumbling hands before he bolted out of the restaurant and chased his little sister down to explain what was going on.

“Wait, Yoo-“Jessica confusingly tried to stop Yoochun from leaving, but was too late as he had burst out before she had finished her sentence. Other people sitting beside their table had looked at her with doubting eyes and were murmuring scandalous rumors.

“No, it’s not what you think it is!” She shook her head as she was obviously embarrassed and covered her face as she resumed eating by herself, still contemplating if she had to wait for him at all.

….