Shadow

November With Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

He wasn't sure how this happened. 

She was his best friend. The two of them knew everything about each other, including the times when one of them felt completely down. No matter how much either of them would smile or try to crack jokes, if one of them was upset, the other would know.

Which is why Yunho didn't understand how he slipped up. 

Maybe if he had paid closer attention, maybe if he had been a better friend, maybe if he had figured out everything on time, he could have prevented this.

But he didn't.

Maybe it was because of his occasional aloofness, maybe it was because he had become so absorbed in his exams.

There had to be some logical explanation as to why he couldn't be there when he was needed the most.

Or maybe, he just ignored everything, too wrapped up in his own little world to notice his friend suffering so much.

But oddly enough, Yunho couldn't come up with anything, and he found himself looking down as an older man began to slowly approach him. Yunho sighed at the sight, and began to brace himself for whatever news he was about to receive.

"Doctor Lee," Yunho said breathlessly as he stood up to greet the older one, his hands suddenly shaking by the look of the older man's face.

The doctor sighed. "Were you able to reach her parents?" he asked for the fourth time tonight.

Yunho shook his head. "They're not answering their phones," he explained, which is the same thing he said every time the doctor had asked for them. Yunho could tell the doctor was about to tell him that he could not disclose any information until her family got here, and frankly, Yunho was tired of hearing that. He was tired of helplessly sitting here, waiting for something to happen. "Please, Doctor," he pleaded. "I know that you need to wait until her family gets here, but I'm her best friend. We grew up together. She's practically my sister. I need to know what's going on and I need to see her. Please?"

Doctor Lee sighed, noticing the student's eyes beginning to tear up. He really was stressed out tonight, and clearly still in shock. All the waiting he had been doing couldn't have been good for him.

"Okay," the doctor finally said with a sigh. "Honestly, it's a good thing you found her when you did," he began, noticing Yunho's expression change. He was probably thinking back to what had happened only hours before. 

"Is she gonna be okay?" Yunho asked before the doctor could even continue. 

"She's stable," Doctor Lee answered. "She had to recieve a blood tranfusion, but...you can see her now if you'd like."

If he didn't have any ounce of self control, Yunho would have had a slight outburst. Of course he would like to see his friend; there was no "if" about it. He wasn't waiting all this time for nothing.

But instead, he nodded, and allowed himself to be led to his friend's hospital room.

And suddenly Yunho realized; all this time, he had been anxious to see her, but now, when he finally got the chance, he wasn't ready. He hadn't braced himself for it.

He swallowed the lump in his throat as he slowly placed his hand on the door knob. He closed his eyes, taking in a few deep breaths before he slowly began to open the door.

He knew that his friend hadn't gone through some terrible accident, where scars had littered her skin and there were various broken bones in her tiny body.

But even still, walkling in and seeing his friend on this state still made Yunho's chest hurt all of a sudden, and he found himself, for the second time tonight, having dificulty breathing as he approached his friend.

It was no surprise that once she saw Yunho enter, she quickly turned away.

Yunho wasn't offended. He knew that she was too ashamed.

Yunho cleared his throat. "Boa," he said pathetically as he stood at her bedside in complete agony. His legs felt weak all of a sudden.

There was silence in the room, which didn't surprise anyone at all.

"Boa," Yunho said again. "Please talk to me. Please?"

Again, Boa kept quiet. She couldn't get herself to speak. She could feel Yunho standing over her, as if he were casting a shadow over her. It made her shudder a little.

"I...I was the one that found you," Yunho continued. If Boa wasn't going to talk, then he'd just keep speaking until she finally says something. Yunho couldn't stand the silence. "I was really scared." Yunho's eyes started watering up again as flashbacks began plaguing his mind. "Th-there was a lot of blood," he continued. "How c-can someone as tiny as you bleed that much?"

Still Boa said nothing.

"I'm glad you're okay," Yunho continued. "I...I don't know why you did this...but I slipped up. I co

Please log in to read the full chapter