His Replacement

Testing Him

 

“SeKyung Noona,” Key smiled and wrapped his arms around SeKyung. “Finally, Jonghyun brought you to the dorm for the first time!”

“Kibum, I've heard so much about you,” SeKyung pinched his cheek and took a seat on the lounge's couch.

Jonghyun watched their interactions dejectedly as he took a seat next to his girlfriend.

His fake girlfriend.

“I'm sorry, everybody else is out at the moment! Would you like something to drink?” Key questioned sweetly.

“Just water,” SeKyung replied and watched the retreating back of SHINee's Umma.

Just as always, silence remained between the “couple”.

“You were right,” the famous model and actress sighed and looked down at her lap.

“I told you,” Jonghyun groaned softly and put his head in his hands. “He doesn't love me.”

SeKyung and Jonghyun didn't hold romantic feelings between themselves. They were like siblings and if they told Korea the truth, their reputations and careers had the possibility of going down the toilet. But that wasn't the main reason why they were pretending to date.

It was because Jonghyun wanted to test something. He wanted to test his Key.

Yes, Kim Jonghyun was in love with his band mate and best friend, the Almighty Key. They had been so close since their trainee years that they were able to tell anything and everything to each other! Jonghyun was head-over-heels in love with Key but he knew that he couldn't tell the other. Because first of all, it would destroy their strong friendship. Secondly, Key was very different from him.

He wasn't gay.

And even though people could debate on his uality, Jonghyun knew that if Key was gay, he would have told him by now.

Wouldn't he?

“Here you go, Noona!” Key skipped into the tense atmosphere, not noticing the expressions on their faces.

“Thank you, Key,” SeKyung didn't look up, because she understood what Jonghyun was probably feeling.

That heartbreaking agony that comes with discovering that the only person who really mattered didn't see you in the same light that you saw them.

SeKyung had only experienced it once, and Jonghyun had been her savior out of that depression...

“I'll be back in a few,” the forever-smiling face of Key popped into their shared bedroom to inform SeKyung and Jonghyun that he was making a run to the convenience store for some much-needed supplies for their maknae.

SeKyung nodded but Jonghyun didn't even look up from his stare-down with the ground.

The silence was only broken when the two heard the slam of the front door.

“I'm sorry,” SeKyung mumbled.

“You having nothing to feel sorry about,” Jonghyun muttered bitterly, not even looking up at his comforter.

“You know what I mean.”

“I do know. But that won't change anything.”

And so the minutes passed, the only sound coming from a chirping bird out the open window.

“SeKyung,” Jonghyun whispered as he stared into her soft eyes, searching for anything to distract him from the immense pain in his heart.

And SeKyung knew what she had to do.

For he had done the exact same thing for her.

She wrapped her slim arms around his neck as she climbed on his lap. She watched him close his eyes slowly, knowing that she wouldn't be what he would think about during their time together.

Their lips locked, not in passion but feverish need.

“Key,” Jonghyun whispered throatily, eyes shut.

SeKyung knew that she was being used. But she didn't mind as he laid her gently against his spring bed.

All Jonghyun wanted was to feel loved. He wanted to be touched. And he wanted to imagine that he was with the one he still loved. SeKyung understood all of this.

She knew exactly what they were doing.

Jonghyun had done the exact same thing for her, before.

*

Meanwhile, an unexpected person stood outside of that very room, not wanting to see what he could hear was going on between his Hyung and close Noona.

Shaking his head and tightening his grip around the convenience store plastic bag, Key walked away with the farthest thing from a smile on his face.

And he didn't even bother to wipe at the single tear that left his eye.