Chapter 1

Dolls

The snow was fluttering down from the dark sky. The chill of the harsh winter created a thin mist in the air. It was white and serene as the smoke was billowing out from the top of the chimneys, puffs of darker mist broke the muted white.

 

It was a silent night. No sounds was heard from that little village as its residents were sleeping soundly in their comforting warm bed. Only a distant horse neighing was heard once, but there were no more after that.

 

However, when the big village clock started to dong two times, another voice followed. A blood curdling shriek break the silent, ripping all the residents of that small village off their beds.

 

Candles and torches were lit up almost immediately, yet it was unneeded. For when they craned their neck towards their windows  facing to the west, they could see blazing fire. Fire that was not there, not even a minute ago.

 

The neighbors were scrambling out of their houses on their slippers, thick jackets over their night gowns. The men with shovels in hands, while women and children were screaming  in horror as the flame swallowing one house on the skirt of the village.

 

Two shadows were seen, from the window, moving in the fire. One was taler and lanky, the other was shorter and plump. Not a moment after, the taller shadow fell down and lost from sight. Yet the other shadow managed to get to the burning doorstep, yet the body was all ablaze.

 

The nearest neighbors to the burning figure swore to hear it grunting Evil bairn! with helpless hatred. Soon after, the figure, neighbors believed it to be the wife, fell to the ground and burned to death.

 

The men of that village were trying with all their might to put down the fire by shovelling the snow from the ground and throwing it over the burning roof.

 

The moment they were able to extinguish the fire, a family of a butcher was lost. A husband and wife with their five children, or so they thought. They didn't really feel the loss since the spouses were always the nasty cruel fellows. Yet they were curious of how such misfortune to occur. The questioned fire was completely out of place and out of time considering the weather.

 

So, they got back to their houses, confused and shocked. They took whatever little rest they could managed, as the thought of retributions they had to do in the morning swirling in their minds. They had to hold a funeral for the deceased and clear up the mess the fire created.

 

The morning after, the village would be surely buzzing with their made up theories of the weird appearance of the fire. Some would believe that it was no more than human-mistake misfortune - "They might forget to put off their candle and it fell on the hay they kept below their windows to keep the house warm", and some would believe the superstition - "It must be a witch art. I tell you the foul witches are anywhere now. The family was cursed, and I think our village is also cursed by their death."

 

However, little did they know that not a mile from their little village, a little girl with curly black hair, no more than five years old were walking away barefooted in the snow. Her white dressing gown was dirtied by soot and one side of its hem was burnt. She was clutching a very tattered rag doll.

 

The sky was not spewing snow anymore. And as the moon peeked a bit from behind the heap of thick clouds, an eerie smirk could be seen adorning the little girl's face.

 

--------------------------

 

A/n:
Hello everyone! I'm back, but not with the update for Twister unfortunately, but with this story instead. To be honest, this story has been sitting in my head for some time now, and I could not think of a better moment to really start writing it and posting it than now, still we are still in Halloween induced mood.

So, as to make it clear, the setting for this story is to take place somewhere in the vast continent of Europe. I'll still be using "Sungmin" name (although I was tempted to change it to Daniel-his fave musical character that he often associate with-to make it easier for you to picture the story. But I changed my mind in the end).

I'll try to update real soon. So, until that time, please leave a comment below for a review of how do you like this new tale telling from me :)