Learning

Rough Edges

They never quite clicked. There was always something: a too-quick intake of breath, the brush of a callus that wasn't there before. The way that Seunghyun was always up first, and his stirring woke Jiyong before he could shake the haziness of sleep off by himself. The way they would lay together and there was that one awkward element: a bony elbow digging into Seunghyun's ribs or the way that Jiyong was just a little too short for his head to rest comfortably against Seunghyun's chest. 

On some days, the presence of these tiny faults lingered in the air, oppressively weighing down their thoughts. Those were the days that one of them walked outside, usually donning a thick coat and a mask. He always returned after an hour or so at one of their favorite haunts: the coffee shop a few blocks away that gave a sense of anonymity with it's dark decor and heady scent or the top of the hill with it's fresh breezes and seclusion or the library where one could tuck himself away between shelves and pretend that he lived in the worlds painted by the paper. Upon returning home, they would go to the bedroom and lay next to the other and pretend that nothing happened; they would just sink into sleep, their breathing not quite synchronized and their feet just a little too cold. The day after, they would work everything out, smooth through the kinks in their perspectives and try to explain why they couldn't quite agree on whatever. Apologies would follow-- sometimes-- and sometimes sweet kisses and painfully cheesy confessions of love.

On other days, life was good. Their hands would fit together, though Jiyong's palms were a little sweaty, and they could believe that all was well and they could make it through anything together. Seunghyun press his cheek against Jiyong's chest and just listen to the *gedeun gedeun* of his heart and it would be enough. It was those days when they felt domestic and warm. It wasn't quite comfortable, but it was satisfying and they were happy. Seunghyun would do his thing, Jiyong would do his, and they didn't match up, but it was close enough for them to settle.

They were happy. It wasn't perfect, but they could settle. Sure, maybe there was someone out there who was perfect for one of them; that didn't matter. They both delighted in the flaws of their relationship; it made everything real. They didn't keep each other's feet warm like people do in the stories, they didn't wear couple shirts and spoon feed each other, but they did make each other happy. And that's all there is to life, right?


First fanfic. Sorry if there were typos; didn't really look through it after finishing.