I'm trying to flirt with you, okay? [One Shot]

I'm trying to flirt with you, okay?

“You are staring.” Namjoon hums, slurping down the last bit of beer in his bottle.

 

“I’m not” Jimin jumps and starts fidgeting in his seat, uncrossing and crossing his legs every other second, refusing to make eye contact with anything but the bottom of his glass. But soon before long, he starts sinking into his chair again, eyes drifting back up to the opposite end of the bar.

 

“If you stare at him any longer, your eyes are going fall out of their sockets.” Yoongi clicks his tongue.

 

"I'm not-"

 

But Yoongi doesn't even wait to hear Jimin's response, lurching forward to grab another handful of nuts from the glass bowl.

 

Jimin sighs.

 

He didn’t want to be so distracted during their night out, didn’t intend to bump into his crush in this bar, didn’t plan to have his mind wander to the boy in the black and red striped sweater that is a tad too big on his lean body, didn’t mean to get lost inside the big round eyes, shining brighter than ever under the warm dim light, the beautiful golden brown that are looking anywhere but in his direction. Jimin didn’t wish for any of this to happen but they did anyway, and now the whole world, except Jeon Jungkook, knows that Jimin has been in love with the latter for the longest time.

 

Jimin can be the most brazen, most atrociously flirtatious and cringe-worthily greasy at times. More often than not, his whole “squad” sigh in second-hand embarrassment caused by Jimin’s actions, and even Jin sometimes decides to pretend he doesn’t know Jimin so that he doesn’t have to hide himself in a hole.

 

Jimin can be the type that shoves his affection into your face without hesitation.

 

But not now, not with Jeon Jungkook and his bunny smile that sends Jimin’s heart to the heavens, not when the object of his affection is all so oblivious of the erratic beating in his chest.

 

Hoseok – being the most helpful one within the group – has tried many ways to help Jimin get into his crush’s pants (HYUNG, NO, I DON’T… IT’S NOT… SERIOUSLY), from arranging study groups to inviting Jungkook to his dance events. And his efforts would not have gone futile if Jimin had not ducked out, every single time, too scared to even let Jungkook catch his name.

 

“Hey” Hosoek swings his arm over Jimin’s shoulder “You have done enough staring at school. Don’t pay him any more attention now.” and sneakily slides a conspicuous glass of drink over to Jimin.

 

“What are you giving the kid this time?” Jin gives Hoseok a deadly glare, reminding the younger of the mess they had to deal with the last time they let Jimin “experiment” with tequila.

 

“C’mon hyung” Namjoon butts in “We’re just helping Jimin to relax. Look at the poor kid. He’s practically moping after seeing how many guys are chatting up his precious Kookie.”

 

“I am not moping.” Jimin protests weakly, glancing at Jungkook who is now laughing at something funny someone apparently just said, someone not Jimin, and it stings a little bit.

 

Jin apparently sees that pathetic look in Jimin’s eyes, because the elder boy just sighs, letting them be without saying anything else.

 

By the end of the night, Jimin feels much more comfortable, brushing his hands through his messy hair, blabbering endlessly about something, or someone, and openly gazing at Jungkook with dreamy eyes that make Yoongi gags.

 

“I’m saying… if you don’t talk to him nothing will ever happens” Taehyung says tipsily “Also, you look really fineeeeee. I mean, I picked out this red pants especially for you, didn’t I?”

Jimin nods tiredly. Taehyung is right. Besides, even if he is rejected, Jungkook probably won’t remember his name since so many people had come to talk to him tonight.

And his red pants. That was a very good point, Taehyung.

 

Jimin props himself up from the table, straightens up and walks towards the opposite corner of the bar.

“Get your camera!” Yoongi quickly nudges Namjoon.

 

 

“Heeyyyyyy!” Jimin flops down on the empty seat next to Jungkook, who looks up with a surprised smile.

 

That’s when Jimin notices that Jungkook doesn’t really wear anything beneath his sweater, so large that Jungkook’s collarbones are fully in view. Jimin’s face feels hot. Probably because of the drinks.

 

“Hi…?”

 

“Oh” Jimin clears his throat “if you…” – what was that line that Hoseok told him earlier on – “if… you were a steak, you would be well done.”

 

Jungkook freezes. Jimin makes a failed attempt at winking with his uncooperative tired eyelids.

 

“Actually, do you have a bandaid?” but he continues “I think I scraped my knees falling for you?”

 

“What?” Jungkook splutters. Good, Jimin thinks, he is getting Jungkook’s attention.

 

“I mean. If you were a booger I’d pick you first.”

 

Jungkook now looks affirmatively petrified. Yoongi and Hoseok are cracking up on the seats nearby while Namjoon is shoving his fist into his mouth to stop himself from shaking his camera.

 

Jungkook doesn’t reply Jimin, his eyes open wide and his mouth wider. But it’s okay, Jimin reckons, he is probably just a little bit overwhelmed by Jimin’s smooth moves.

 

“Do you have the time…?”

 

“Err…” Jungkook glances at his watch, hesitantly, with a confused look on his face “It’s around ten…”

 

“I mean, the time to write down my number” Jimin leans back on his chair with a smirk.

 

Jungkook stifles a small giggle at the back of his throat while Jimin’s “supporters” give up on trying to hide their amusement at the whole situation.

 

“Because, my love” Jimin points at his chest “for you…” and then at Jungkook.

 

“Yes?”

 

“… is like diarrhea, I just can’t hold it back.”

 

Yoongi slaps the table, Hoseok makes inhuman noises and Namjoon drops his camera.

But Jungkook is hiding his face with his hand, shoulders shaking.

 

Is Jungkook crying? Is he that touched by Jimin’s confession?

 

“How is your fever?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Oh, sorry. You just look really hot to me.”

 

Jungkook’s cheeks are tinted with pink, and Jimin can’t remember if the boy has ever looked that cute before.

 

“Are you a parking ticket? Because you’ve got fine written all over you.”

 

Wait a minute.

 

“Did you just fart? ‘Cause you just blew me away.”

 

This is strange.

 

“Have you always been this cute? Or did you have to work at it?”

 

Why is Jungkook’s cracking up, why is everyone laughing and wiping their tears? This was supposed to be romantic.

 

“Oh my god” Jungkook gasps for air between his laughs “you are killing me.”

 

“No… no… it’s not…” Jimin stutters. He may be drunk, but the sound of Jungkook’s giggling still leaves him a little breathless. “I’m trying to flirt with you, okay?”

 

“I know” Jungkook smiles, tilting his head “I know that you are, Jimin hyung.”

 

Jimin almost faints hearing his name spoken by the beautiful lips, and tries to figure out when Jungkook learnt his name. Yoongi’s and Hoseok’s mouth come agape. The atmosphere around them became surprisingly still.

 

“Well, I have to go now.” Jungkook stands up “But I had a really good time talking – listening – to you. Here-” Jungkook pushes something into Jimin’s hand.

 

Electricity bolts through Jimin’s body as they touch, but the small piece of paper in his palm with a phone number written on it shocks him even more.

 

“-uhm… let’s… talk again sometimes.”

 

Jungkook grins and Jimin loses his ability to speak until the younger boy is out of the door.