Bodyguard

Duty to Uphold

 

Kyuhyun never thought that he would actually be unwelcomed. Having worked as a bodyguard for the past six years, he had never met anyone who disliked his services. He was an excellent worker: alert, agile, witty and strong. He was the youngest and most admired bodyguard. His father, also a bodyguard, had always recommended him to the rich who were desperate for someone to guard their precious lives and money. He had been trained since he was nine, and so his clients had never doubted him. Well, except for a certain teenage girl.

Im Yoona. She was the Prime Minister’s daughter and is currently a junior in Jeonhwa High School. An only child, but looked nice enough. If anything, her profile had said she was the perfect child. But Kyuhyun could not comprehend fully why they needed him to personally guard the girl when the Prime Minister had a full armada of security, and why this girl seemed to absolutely despise him upon their first meeting.

“Appa! I said I don’t need a bodyguard!”

Stubborn, but super pretty.

“Hey, what are you thinking?” Donghae, his friend and colleague who was assigned to guard the Minister’s wife, asked him.

“Nothing,” Kyuhyun replied as nonchalantly as he could.

“She’s pretty, right?”

“Yeah sure.”

“Our security’s fine, aren’t they? Why do I need a personal bodyguard?!”

Kyuhyun flinched at the high tone Yoona was using. She was screaming now, flailing her arms and stomping across the room. Her father’s face was buried in his hands; her mom scrunching her face in her seat. Clearly, they had been fighting about this issue for a couple of times now. Yoona was still sputtering things, reasons why she shouldn’t have a personal bodyguard, a man who keeps silent and follows her around wherever she goes.

“I’m 17! I’m supposed to be independent. How can I do that if this,” pointing at Kyuhyun, “ahjussi keeps following me around?”

 “Ahjussi?!” Kyuhyun exclaimed. Donghae was chuckling softly, biting his lip and using his fist to cover his mouth. Kyuhyun stayed still, but was twitching slightly and gritting his teeth. The Minister sighed and massaged his temples awhile before saying, “Yoona, don’t be rude. He’s only 24.”

“Wh-what?!” Yoona’s head snapped in his direction, her expression one of shock and utter disbelief. She slowly made his way toward him and stopped to stare at his face, kinda like evaluating him. “You’re 24? Unbelievable,” she said, shaking her head.  Kyuhyun was about to answer when “But still, appa. I don’t need a bodyguard!”

“It’s getting more dangerous for you,” her father relayed.

“How is he going to help?” Yoona shot back, stubbornly.

“He will be tasked to follow you at all times and observe you closely. Even in school. And yes,” he butted before Yoona could react, “even when you are hanging out with your friends.” Yoona’s jaw dropped to the ground, offended. Her father had seemed tired of this argument, and standing up saying, “He will personally see to you. My decision is final and there’s nothing else you can do, young lady. So if I might ask of you, do not ever hurt your bodyguard and don’t even try to get away from him. Arasso?”

“But appa-”

“No more buts, Yoona.” Turning to Kyuhyun, the Minister said, “I trust you with my daughter’s life. Please do not disappoint me.”

Kyuhyun bowed and replied, “I will do my best, sir.”

“Well then, it’s time for rest. All of you go back to your work. Donghae, please accompany my wife to her room and watch over her. I will go to the office. And Yoona, don’t do anything rash. His name’s Kyuhyun.”

With that, the Minister and his guards filed out of the room. Donghae nudged Kyuhyun, muttering a quick “Good luck, bro. See ya,” before going to Mrs. Im’s side. Kyuhyun and Yoona were left alone in the room, Kyuhyun standing still, waiting for his new master’s orders and Yoona still left in shock by everything that’s happened. She took a deep breath before turning to Kyuhyun, a murderous glare in her eyes.

“You better not disrupt my social life. And don’t stick close to me in school,” she said through clenched teeth and walked away. Kyuhyun smirked, amused at her. He moved from his spot, closed the door and followed the girl toward her room. This will be thrilling, he thought.

 

 

***

 

 

“Stop following me!”

“That’s my job. If I don’t do it, I’ll be fired. I can’t be fired. That would be a shame.”

“UGH!!!”

Yoona stomped away, pulling her hair and muttering incoherent words. Kyuhyun walked briskly to catch up with her, his small group of men following closely behind. They were walking to Yoona’s classroom, and everybody in the hall was looking at them. Yoona glared at her fellow students, as if saying a message like I will kill you if you utter one word. Upon reaching her classroom’s door, she suddenly stopped, Kyuhyun almost bumping into her.

“Tell your men to wait downstairs and that they’ll only come up when called.”

“You heard her. Go,” Kyuhyun ordered, to which his men immediately followed. He was about to enter her classroom when Yoona stopped him. “You wait here. Outside. Don’t ever go in.”

“But I should. Your teachers have already been informed about my presence.”

“But my classmates aren’t! How do think I’ll be able to concentrate if you are there?”

Kyuhyun chuckled. He had almost forgotten that she was a straight A student. They were usually people who didn’t like being disturbed when studying. How did he know? He was once like that. But why would her classmates be noisy? Unless…

“I’m that handsome?”

“What? NO! I didn’t mean that!”

“Then what-”

“Yoona? Who’s that?”

Kyuhyun and Yoona’s heads snapped to the sound of the voice. There, standing in the hallway, shocked, was Sooyoung. Yoona’s best friend, Kyuhyun had researched. He turned to her and bowed. He was about to introduce himself when Yoona interrupted, “Don’t mind him. He’s just a bodyguard. Let’s go in.”

“But-”

“Come on, Youngie,” Yoona urged, pulling her friend through the doors. Sooyoung bowed back to Kyuhyun and offered a small smile before letting herself be pulled by her grumbling friend. Yoona shot a last glance at Kyuhyun and mouthed ‘I’m warning you.’

“As you wish, madame,” Kyuhyun said to himself amusingly.

Sooyoung smacked her best friend’s arm the moment they had sat down. Their teacher had not arrived yet, and she was just too appalled by what she saw outside their room.

“Ow! What?”

“He’s not just a bodyguard, is he? He’s your personal bodyguard.”

“How’d you know that?” Yoona replied, rubbing her reddening arm.

“Um, my parents work with your dad, duh. Anyway, why does he look so young? The rest of your security is in their middle ages. How old is he? He’s so handsome!”

“Ugh! Why’d you have to see him?  I wouldn’t be able to study in peace anymore.”

“You didn’t answer my question!”

Yoona was saved from answering when their homeroom teacher walked in. “24,” she whispered to Sooyoung, to which the latter smiled dreamily. “Interesting.” Yoona could only look at her best friend in disbelief. The rest of the morning flew by quietly. Kyuhyun followed her orders and stayed outside where he wouldn’t bother anyone. His men had done the same.

Needless to say, Kyuhyun got bored the whole morning. The teachers and students were gawking at him where he stood. After sometime, he began to roam around the school, checking everything and mapping the school in his head. Along the way, he had also begun to create escape routes for him and Yoona in case they were in trouble.

Yoona almost forgot about him until he showed up in front of her during lunch, to which she almost doubled over herself in shock.

“That’s offending, young master. I’m not a ghost.”

“Don’t call me that! Yoona. Yoona will do.”

Kyuhyun smirked, “As you wish, Yoona. Now, where will you be eating lunch?”

“I’m going with Sooyoung to the cafeteria. You can come but don’t be paranoid over my food and buy your own. Understood?”

“Of course.”

“Yoona, wait up! Oh,” Sooyoung paused, seeing Kyuhyun, “Hello, Mr?”

“My name’s Kyuhyun.”

Yoona rolled her eyes at her best friend’s clear admiration of her bodyguard. “Come on, I’m hungry,” she muttered, pulling Sooyoung’s arm and walking away, not looking back to see if Kyuhyun followed. He chuckled to himself a while before walking close behind.

 

 

***

 

 

A week has passed since Kyuhyun came into her life. Needless to say, Yoona enjoyed having her own personal bodyguard. He would follow everything she says, and would not, in any way, disobey her. His sharp mouth was sincerely a big problem, though. That guy had much sarcasm to knock her down without her resisting. But nonetheless, it was fun for her.

Kyuhyun didn’t share the same feeling. Bit by bit, Yoona was making him her personal slave. To start that off, she had begun calling him oppa, which wasn’t a problem for Kyuhyun until she used it to begin her commands. Every day, he would hear an “Oppa, bring my bag,” or “Oppa, buy me that.” It wasn’t that Kyuhyun particularly disliked her attitude. In fact, he thought she was cute. But damn the girl is making him do all these silly tasks! It was making him insane. Even small tasks that clearly she could do herself had become his responsibility, and he had objected to that strongly because he saw how much strength she could actually muster, but it only earned him a glare and kick to the shin (his shin had reddened when he checked on it later).

They were in a certain area of town for the day. It was Friday, and Yoona insisted to go out with her friends to the arcade centers. Kyuhyun shook his head in disbelief. She is so much like a kid, he thought to himself. Of course he followed, lest he wanted another bruise to his arm. Although his sarcastic comments were still not very welcome.

Upon reaching their favorite arcade, Yoona, Sooyoung, and Yuri (another friend of Yoona’s), dashed out the car’s door the moment they stopped. Kyuhyun had barely gotten out of the car when the three girls disappeared inside. He hurriedly entered the arcade and almost lost the girls, but soon found them when he heard Yoona’s excited scream. She was that loud.

Kyuhyun watched with amusement the three girls that were trying to get a teddy bear from those machines which supposedly picked up toys. Yoona was frustrated. The other two had gotten their own stuffed toys, and had laughed at Yoona’s futile attempt to get the single white teddy bear inside. Kyuhyun had seen how many times she tried, but the toy always slipped from the claw. Sooyoung and Yuri were urging her now, shouting in her ear. Yoona was trying hard to get the claw above the teddy bear, but forgot to press the right button once more after Sooyoung yelled in her ear, causing the claw to pick up the teddy bear lopsidedly and fall back into the pile of stuffed toys. Yoona groaned and glared at her friends, then backed away from the machine and pouted to herself.

Cute cute cute cute, screamed Kyuhyun’s brain.

“Ahem,” said his mouth.

He looked back at his men, thanking the heavens that no one paid any attention to him. No one should see him staring so intently at his master, lest he wanted them to think he had developed a crush on her. Which he did. NOT. He shook his head and pushed away the thought. He slowly approached the girl.

“Yoona,” he started.

The said girl looked at him with expectant eyes, the cute mouth still pouting.

“Want me to get that toy for you?”

Yoona’s eyes widened at the offer. She immediately stood up, grabbing Kyuhyun’s arms and looking at him excitedly. “You will? Ah gomawo oppa!” she exclaimed, and before Kyuhyun could utter a word, she had dragged him to where Sooyoung and Yuri were trying to get the toy for her. The two, surprised, stood still and watched Yoona.

“Move guys. Kyuhyun oppa will get that for me.”

Oppa? they thought. Wow, this girl in unbelievable. “Didn’t she absolutely dislike him a week ago?” Sooyoung muttered. Yuri nodded, still staring in shock at her friend. Yoona had put in a token in the machine and urged Kyuhyun, pointing the toy she wanted. The man started moving the handles, his concentration obvious through the veins that were visible on his clenched hands. From shock at Yoona, Sooyoung and Yuri’s attention were brought forth to Kyuhyun. The girls stared dreamily at him. They would’ve continued staring had Yoona not screamed in victory. Kyuhyun had gotten her the toy she wanted.

“He’s amazing,” Yuri said when Yoona had walked over to them, hugging her teddy bear tightly.

“Yah! Have you two developed a crush on him?”

“Don’t you?” Sooyoung exclaimed. “He’s perfect!”

Yoona flushed at her question. “W-what are you guys saying? I have no crush on him!”

Sooyoung narrowed her eyes and Yuri raised her eyebrow. “Oh really?”

“Of course!”

Yuri smirked at her before whispering something to Sooyoung. Then the both of them left Yoona standing confused and walked to Kyuhyun.

“Kyuhyun-ssi.” The said guy looked at them.

“We have to go home already. It’s getting late.”

“We’ll bring you guys home.”

“Oh really? Thank you,” Yuri said in a flirting manner.

Kyuhyun’s eye twitched but he produced a small smile to the girls. It wasn’t the first time some high school girls had tried to hit on him, yet it was truly uncomfortable, especially since these were Yoona’s friends. Yoona gaped at her friends. They looked at her with mischievous glints in their eyes and followed the men outside. Kyuhyun sighed deeply and walked to Yoona. “Your friends are going. We will bring them home. Is that okay?” Yoona nodded. Kyuhyun took her bag and led her to the car.

When they were well on their way, Yuri and Sooyoung kept teasing Yoona. The three were bickering behind the sliding window that separated them. Unknown to them, Kyuhyun had installed a small microphone at the back, so that even though the window was up, he can still hear Yoona talk, which he was doing right now, listening to the talk about him. He smiled to himself. Guess I’m really good-looking.

When Sooyoung and Yuri had been dropped off in their houses, Yoona sat silently at the back of the car. Kyuhyun looked at her through the rearview mirror, and saw that she was looking at the view outside. They were nearing the Palace and Kyuhyun nearly dozed off until Yoona ordered the driver to stop in front of a shop. Kyuhyun jolted upright and looked at her.

“What is it?”

Yoona bit her lip. “I want to buy chocolates.”

Kyuhyun groaned inwardly. Who knew that a skinny girl like her actually ate so much? An hour ago, before they had left the arcade centers, Yoona and her friends had eaten. Only Yuri ate a single cheeseburger. Kyuhyun had gaped at the two, to which Yuri offered a small explanation of her friends’ unique eating habits. Kyuhyun thought Yoona had eaten herself out, but it seemed she didn’t.

“Now? You haven’t eaten dinner.”

“I’m craving for them. Please oppa,” she said with the saddest puppy eyes.

Shoot. I can’t resist that.

“Okay fine. But wait here. I’ll buy them.”

“I’ll come with you! You don’t know my preferences.”

Kyuhyun looked at her, doubting. Yoona would be safer in the car, but she was insisting so hard that he had no choice but to give in.

“Fine. Come on. And stick close.”

Yoona nodded with a smile and followed Kyuhyun to the shop. He had told his men to surround the area and stay alert. Once within, she began her chocolate shopping spree. Kyuhyun followed her, surveying the place and the people from time to time. He can never be sure. He was guarding the Prime Minister’s daughter, and he cannot be careless. Even though it was just a chocolate shop, dangers can still be lurking nearby.

Yoona was paying her purchases, and Kyuhyun’s eyebrows shot up at the price. Clearly, this girl had no idea on budgeting. She was spending so lavishly, especially on food. He had to wait until she finished, but with so much stuff, it would take her longer than he expected. “Yoona, hurry up.”

“Shh. Just wait.”

Kyuhyun grimaced and stood, looking bored. His ringing phone snapped him out of it.

“I have to take this call. Wait there.”

“Okay.”

Kyuhyun signaled his men to observe Yoona while he backed a few steps and answered the call.

“Hello?”

“Kyuhyun?”

“Yes, Mr. Prime Minister.”

“Where are you? It is kind of late.” Kyuhyun looked behind him to see Yoona. She was done buying her chocolates, and was talking to the cashier. He turned back and continued talking.

“I am sorry, sir, but Yoona wanted to buy something. We are on our way home.”

“Ah. That daughter of mine. Is she buying food again?”

“Yes, sir. If you must know, she bought chocolates.”

“She is such a big eater.” Kyuhyun heard a sigh from the other line. “Just bring her home, okay? Her mom cooked her favorite for dinner.”

“Will do, sir.”

“Thank you, Kyuhyun.”

“Goodbye, sir.”

Kyuhyun had just ended the call and was putting his phone in his pocket when he heard, “KYUHYUN OPPA!”

 

 


I am so sorry for posting such a crappy first chapter. I was so busy this past few days and I ran out of ideas. Huh, I think I kinda lost my touch. I mean I'm so OTP-deprived. But for the love of KyuNa, I'm doing this. So any comments? Will be glad to read them. Thanks a lot. :)

 

-x- justchillin -x-