Reunion

Chasing Daylight

It felt like chasing the sun, trying to catch a glimpse of Son Dongwoon. It was every Beauty's dream to spot a member of Beast. For Sara, it was different. Her best friend had become extremely famous since she had seen him last. Not that he wasn't famous before, but it wasn't nearly as much as now. 

Three years ago, she had left South Korea for her new job in the United States. She regretted not saying goodbye to him and just leaving a note like she did.

In the past few months, she had been trying to get ahold of him. She stayed up late to try to call him. His old number no longer worked, and all of the letters she had sent had recieved no reply. Well, until last week that is.

Sara, Dongsaeng;

Can I still call you dongsaeng? It seems so long ago that we parted. I wish, like you said, that we could have said goodbye face-to-face. You said you had some things that you wanted to tell me, and I hope you will let me know why you never returned my calls.

I missed you, my best friend. Did I do something wrong?

In reply to your request to meet in person, I am only responding now because it is possible. I will be on tour in the United States for three weeks. Our last stop on the tour will be in Atlanta, where you are. I believe that this letter should reach you by the week before that performance. Enclosed is an identification card that will get you past security in the hotel, but only on the day after the performance. Please use it to come see me before we leave.

Dongwoon

P.S. I still miss my best friend.

Sara refolded the letter for the thirtieth time that hour. She had read the contents of it until she could recite it word-for-word. Now, as she stepped into the elevator, she became nervous. Her mind raced, painting pictures in her mind of every wrong way this meeting could end. Did he change his mind about seeing me? How would he react to the answers she would give him? Would he ever want to see her again after this?

*DING* "Fifth Floor" The mechanical voice told her that it was time to get off.

Hesitating, Sara inched off the elevator, nearly getting caught in the doors... twice. "Get yourself together!" She mumbled sternly to herself, then strode down the hallway.

Stopping in front of room 581, Sara began to doubt herself again. Before her courage could fail her, she reached to knock on the door. Her raised hand missed it as it suddenly swung inward, and she heard a familiar voice.

"Come on, maknae! Who's this person that you're meeting? You can't just let us in the..." His voice trailed off as he stepped backward out of the door and right into Sara.

She froze for a second, not able to comprehend what just happened. Her mind had gone blank and only came back when her old habit kicked in. Reaching out, she smacked Yoseop playfully on the arm. "I thought I told you to watch where you step, puppy!"

The teasing words and old nickname slipped out of before she could catch them.

Yoseop and Dongwoon turned to stare at her as she stood with her hands on her hips and smiled at them. Suddenly, Sara was jerked forward as she was enveloped in a bearhug. 

"I never thought I would hear that nickname again. It brings back good memories, it's so good to see you!" With a laugh, he released her and turned down the hall to yell. "Guys! Guess who the maknae's meeting!"

Sara stifled a laugh at his excitement. It made her feel a bit better to know that Yoseop was happy to see her, at least. 

"Annyeonghaseyo." She greeted Dongwoon, who still stood in the door. 

He smiled lightly, nervousness flickering in his eyes. "Why don't you greet me like you used to? You said I would always be your best friend."

Sara paused for a moment, slightly relieved by his words. Hesitantly, she spoke. "Oppa? I thought you might still be mad at me for leaving like that."

Instead of responding, he shook his head then pulled her inside the room. At her questioning glance, he shrugged. "The guys should be headed this way. We have to keep them out somehow." He winked quickly, sliding the latch on the door into place. He walked to the chairs by the window, and motioned for Sara to sit down.

She took the chair that he motioned to, and after a moment, Dongwoon broke the silence between them.

"Why didn't you wake me before you left?"

"I..." She started, only to rewind and begin again. "I was afraid."

"Of what?" He queried.

"Of... everything. I was afraid that the would ruin our friendship, and having to say goodbye after that, and I was even afraid of my own feelings." By the time she finished, her voiced had dropped to a whisper. "I was afraid of your reaction."

He slumped down onto the windowsill behind him. "Why would you be afraid of my reaction?"

Sara swallowed hard, seaching for a way to tell him. "When I woke up and found myself wrapped in your arms, I panicked. I was filled with emotions that I was scared of, and I was afraid that you would wake up, realize what happened, and run away because it disgusted you. I'm sorry."

Dongwoon took a deep breath to steady himself. "You were afraid I would leave you there? By yourself?" He chuckled lightly. "Instead, you left me there."

Sara hung her head in shame. "I'm sorry." The apology was the only thing she could mutter. 

"I tried to call you for three weeks after you left. Why didn't you pick up or return my calls?"

She froze. "Uh."

He stared at her, waiting for her to continue.

"That's one of the things I came to talk to you about. I wanted to apologize for leaving you with only a note to say goodbye. The other reason I wanted to talk to you is the reason why I didn't return your calls." She stopped, digging deep in her heart to find her courage.

When Dongwoon cleared his throat, she realized that he was still waiting for her to continue.

"For the first two weeks after I moved to Atlanta, my phone was shut off. The company gave me a new phone that I was allowed to use for both work and personal reasons, so I had switched to that phone. By the time I had found and recharged my old phone, you had left nearly a hundred messages for me."

Dongwoon's face reddened slightly. He dropped his head, but said nothing.

"When I found the messages, I was afraid to check them, or call you back. I was scared that you simply wanted a proper goodbye, and that you would hang up on me after saying farewell forever. I didn't want to be rejected after..." Sara's words trailed off. She dropped her head as she became embarrassed by her own confessions.

"After?" Dongwoon lifted his head quickly to look at her.

She covered her face with her hands and mumbled through them. "After I realized that I loved you."

For a second, nothing happened, but then he slid off of the windowsill to kneel in front of her. He slowly reached up to remove her hands from in front of her face.

"Oh, Sara. I was calling you to tell you that I realized the same thing. I didn't want you to be apart from me, and I called to ask you to return to Korea."

Tears began to stream down Sara's face. "But you'll be angry when I tell you what I kept from you all this time."

"What is that important that I would be angry with my best friend?" Dongwoon asked, confused.

Several moments passed in silence before Sara answered him.

"Dongwoon," Her voice was a whisper. "Two months after I moved here, I found out that I was pregnant." Her words began to rush out over each other. "I'm sorry. I know I should have told you, but I was still so afraid of rejection. My friends helped me out, and I thought I could raise our child on my own."

Her soft sobs broke through the trance that Dongwoon had fallen into. "I... We have a child?" He stuttered.

"Yes." She managed to reply through her tears.

Unexpectedly, Dongwoon's face lit up. "I have a child! I'm a father! This is great!"

"It is?" His excitement stopped her tears from falling anymore. 

"Yes. I always dreamed of being a father, and now I am one! I just hope I can be a good father to..." He stopped. "Is our child a boy or a girl?"

"You have a son." Sara told him softly. "His name is Jonghyun."

"Hmm... Jonghyun. I like it. What surname did you give him?"

She smiled lightly. "He shares his father's surname. It was the least I could do since I kept him from you."

"I want to meet him." Dongwoon exclaimed excitedly. "But I have one question first. Why now? Why would you tell me this after three years?"

Sara's face mottled red when she answered. "I thought I could handle raising him alone, but I never expected the questions he would have for me. He asks me about his daddy every day. He wants to know what it's like to have a father." She paused. "I told him that a father's love is like the sun. It reaches out to comfort and warm you. I also told him that finding his father would be like chasing daylight at the end of the day. We could possibly catch up to you, but there was no guarantee that you would stay to make our lives bright forever."

She stared at Dongwoon as he thought about what she said. Slowly, he shook his head. "I can't promise that I can come home to you every night. I can't promise that life will always be happy and bright, but I can promise that we can be the family that we were meant to be. I want to be there for our son through everything that happens, but I can only do that if you move back to Korea with me."

He looked at her as he waited for her response. Finally, she nodded. He hugged her excitedly before opening the door to let the eavesdroppers in. 

Each of the members was happy to hear that Dongwoon and Sara had made up, but were more excited at the idea of being uncles. Sara was only allowed to leave after she had agreed to bring Jonghyun to the hotel to meet them.

When she arrived back at the hotel, the six guys were waiting in Dongwoon's room. She gently led the little boy through the door, then introduced him to the guys. As soon as she told him that Dongwoon was his appa, his eyes lit up and he ran across the room into his father's embrace. After a little bit of coaxing, Jonghyun began to open up to the others, and they all played games together until the exhausted boy fell asleep on Junhyung. Junhyung had finally allowed the boy to crawl into his lap while they were playing, but had panicked when he had fallen asleep. Sara chuckled at the rapper's awkwardness with his nephew, even now that the two year old was asleep, as Dongwoon picked the boy up and laid him down on the bed. 

The next day would be difficult since they had to say goodbye again, even if it was only for a few weeks, as Sara made arrangements to move back to Korea with Jonghyun.