final

OUR LAST GOODNIGHT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

November 4, 2015

 

As I walked out of the bathroom, I noticed her standing beside her long-term bed, her shoulder length wavy hair facing at me, swaying with the wind. I took a few steps and sat on the edge of the bed and continue observing her, packing all the necessities for our on-the-spot road trip.

I barely had my sleep when I got successive missed calls from her and when I picked it, she hurriedly told me to meet her in this place. That kicked in the so hard, thinking she’s in trouble and made my fastest way here, only to see her laughing her off on her bed while enjoying the scene of my messiest state. But rather than getting mad for pranking me, I smiled for seeing her laughed again. A genuine one. It’s been long since I saw that kind of glow in her face.

“You ready?” I casually asked, assuming that the white dress is the last clothe to be packed. She zipped her knapsack and turned to me.

“You mean leaving? The answer would be ‘always’.” She beamed brightly. “I’m just waiting for you. You ready?” sheepishly she questioned. I knew she means more than what has been spoken. She always has this magical tongue that puts deeper meaning to the words. I dropped my gaze onto her feet and made a deep sigh which never helped at all. I knew everyone is ready but me. But I can’t just give her up until there’s still hope.

I gained courage and looked up. My eyes met hers and she seemed to be waiting for an answer.

“I am. For the road trip though.” I countered bringing the mood back, which was momentarily covered with silence. She nodded and threw the bag at me before heading for the exit.

“Hey, didn’t you said you’re waiting for me?” That made her looked back and smiled.

“Uh. Uh.” She shook her head drastically. “Not until you clean up. Looked at yourself, you’re still in pajamas.” And that smile turned into an evil laughed.

                “I guess so.” And we made our great escape in that place, so silent not to be notice.

 

                “I bought a strawberry milk tea. Want to take a sip?” I just looked at her amused.

                “How long are you planning to get lost? And a cold treat in 1 o’clock in the morning, not to mention it’s almost winter. You’re such a weirdo.” Sometimes I can’t get what this girl up to. An hour ago, out of the blue she asked me to take her somewhere far and quiet, then now she bought all this stuff and foods. A total of 5 plastic bag sitting in the backseat plus, she is holding an extra-large cold treat at this time of the day?

                “Uhm. A day and a half. I don’t know.” She answered without looking at me, so focus in her treat.

                “And don’t tell me we aren’t going to feed the street children.” She shook her head and then added. “I won’t say so.”

                “And originally you planned to eat all of that?” She affirmed tapping her fingers in the cup.

                “Don’t you feel cold drinking that stuff?” That time she looked at me.

                “Actually I do.” She smiled again but still she didn’t pull the drink out of . “But I miss it so much that I can’t stop. They forbid me to drink it for years and you know how much I like it.”

                “Really? And what made you think you can drink that with me?” I took off my jacket and put it over her shoulder for she seemed slightly rocking in her seat.

                “Cause you love me and as long as it made me happy it’s okay?” Exactly.

“Didn’t saw it coming but I wonder how it tastes like.”

“You want some?” She reached it towards me and I gladly accepted it. “Taste good?” I nodded almost finishing the tea.

“You’re about to finish it. Hey.” She started to protest and tried to pull the cup from my hand. But I turned around making it difficult for her to reach.

                “I can’t stop sipping.” I reasoned out. “Sorry.” I acted sorry and innocent as I handed her the empty cup.

                “What the use of that?” she pouted, crossing her arms over her chest.

                “Sure you can drink some but not too much. Still it’s not good for you and I’m just worried. Okay?” I explained my part and she nodded.

 

Sometimes I asked myself, how I fell in love with a weirdo. To the point that every time I saw her, my heart beats as if it wants to escape my chest. To the point that imagining her gone makes me feel like dying.

But I always end up with the same answer. 

I fell in love with her weirdness and cuteness, and it’s the same reason why I keep falling in love with her.

 

 

The sun has risen when we reached a small village several miles from our city near the foot of a mountain. Note that I’m not the traveller type so I obviously don’t know this place. I glance at her and amazingly she's still in a deep slumber. I drove a couple of blocks to observe the surroundings and to look for something. A parking area, maybe.

The village looks too old like a lost town hidden in the arms of these mountain ranges but its beauty is simple yet exceptional. I only imagine this kind of place in the books she once told me. I notice that most of the store I passed by is a coffee shop, or else they're selling different kind of pastry. It's too early to see that village is already busy, making it hard for me to drive through streams of people. I turned around a corner and still I didn't find an empty space so I decide park the car on the roadside and took a nap with her.

 

Flashback

 

"Hey." I started. Every night is a time for phone calls that’s the rule and it shouldn’t be skipped, even if I spent the whole day with her or if I’m busy in school that’s the only rule I wouldn’t break.

"Hey too."

"How’s our day?" I would always ask, every night, just checking how she feels.

"Brilliant I guess." she would always answer. "I got a new haircut." She added and I could sense the enthusiasm in her voice like getting what she called hair cut is a good thing.

"Uhuh. Again? Then should I be happy? Or rather sad about it? It's a boy cut, right?" I snapped rather sounding like a joke.

"Sad, I guess. And yeah a boy cut shorter than yours." she heave a sigh. The word sad never slipped my ears and so is the sigh, so I prepared for her next sentence.

"Sad? I assume Then I assume it’s getting worse?”

"Not much. Just the usual, ant bite thing and rest of my time was spent in sleeping. . . ” She paused for a while to breathe and continued, ". . . And yes you should be sad. More of grieving ‘cause I am now better looking than you." I could almost hear her grinned over here and if we weren't on the phone I would really glared at her. But lucky for her we're not so I chose not to react to her teasing and she took the initiative to speak again.

"Nah. Just Kidding. You're handsome just the way you are and I like it." She laughed. If I was in another situation I would surely be flattered. Like a high school girls giggling over their crushes. Yeah sound gay. But I'm in this situation and that makes all the differences.

"No need to cite the obvious. Btw, it’s getting late. You need to take a rest now."

"Alright, father." she mocked. "Goodnight." softly she spoke and a smacked of her lips came after. This one is a habit, too.

"Goodnight, also." And I let out a kiss sound.

"And. . . . I love you." I expected for an answer but I knew there wasn't and there will never be. For before I let the words spill my mouth, she already put down the phone so I did the same.

 

End of flashback

 

I woke up feeling a light, warm breeze brushing around my nose and then for I moment I smelled a familiar scent. I tried to think deeper, to recognize the scent. Its strawberry I guess. Definitely a strawberry, but what is it doing near my nose? My eyes still yearning for sleep but my mind was curious enough to know where that scents came from. Air fresher? Food? Drink? Drink? Drink. . .

My thoughts trailed off and a striking idea hit me. Yes and it's. . . HER. But the realization struck me too late and I already heard the snap of the camera accompanied by giggles. I opened my eyes and as I expected, her face was so near with mine and both hands holding her phone, taking a picture of her and the sleeping me.

"Well, how nice of you my lady?" I quipped.

"Just for remembrance, sire." And she laughed.

“You’re used to laughing now huh,” I snapped and she just looked at me and smiled again.

 

And I just gave back that smile. Sometimes even how much I tried to get pissed off with her I end up giving in to this annoying creature. ‘Cause I knew myself that I would resort myself to doing silly and weird stuff just to see her beaming smile always.

She is right I would do everything for the fact that I love her and as long as it’s for her I’ll take the risk.

 

"I think I’m going to like this one.” I turned my gaze to her so serious face while looking at the menu in her hands. We happened to take a seat in one of the café here and have our breakfast.

“Strawberry again, I bet.?” I asked and she replied a nod, “Do you really like strawberry or you’re just being bias about its color.”

“Uhmmm,” she paused for a moment to think about my silly question, “Maybe, I don’t know. And oh, just add brewed coffee and extra creamer.” She addressed to the waiter.

“I’ll get the same thing.” I said and the waiter left us alone after confirming our order.

“So where are you planning to head after this?”

“I’m not certain where to. But I heard there is a beach an hour from here then beyond that mountain is a beautiful city.” She explained to me.

“A beach? That a good idea for me… but isn’t it too much for you?” She shook her head.

“You worried too much. Don’t be paranoid. I’ll be fine, trust me.” I laughed as she confidently said her line, with matching tapping her fist into her chest. I let out a puffed forcing to hold in my laugh.

“You’re my responsibility at this moment. You can’t blame me for being too cautious, or paranoid in you term.”  I said.

“Quite reasonable,” She smiled at me, “But you should take risk for you to have fun, right?” I nodded in her statement.

“So you’re up for the beach?”

“After breakfast.” She laughed.

“I know you won’t say no.” I smiled. “Let’s make this memorable?”

“Absolutely.” I respond.

 

Flashback

                “Hi!”

                “Hi t—“I wasn’t able to finish my line when she cut me off with her enthusiasm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter