Prologue

Where is Sleeping Beauty?
Please log in to read the full chapter

P R O L O G U E 

 

One and half decades before 2015, The Grim Forest, Fairfalls

 

The Grim Forest had never been this dark before. It had passed midnight when the thick fogs started to surround the moon, blocking the light that brightens the world. Wolves living in the mountain crawled out, howling, calling for each pack. Owls as well as bats ended their resting time and flew as a group through the unusual murky sky. Giant rats were seen running heading toward same direction as the owls and bats as well, then other nocturnal animals such as foxes, hyenas, binturongs, and wild cats came to follow. It seemed like everyone was in hurry. What had caused such a fuss?

The inhabitants eventually came into a stop, surrounding the biggest banyan tree in the forest. Now that they had gathered together in one place, the population was overcrowded. Each animal was communicating in their own language. It was hardly a great place to stay long, especially for someone like the old, striking woman. She had a dark red hood covering her face and a long, thick cloak as her body shield which dragged by when as she pushed her way to the tree while holding a torch up high. The only feature seen on her face was her pale, thin lips. It definitely was hard to walk, yet she showed no sign of difficulty. Her steps were light; as if her long legs weren’t touching the ground.

There was actually a red fox following after her, yet it was scantily noticed. The woman's shadow was so dark and massive that the presences around her became invisible.

“Let's get started," said the human to the fox, standing a few feet before the tree. She turned her back to the banyan tree, now facing the crowd.

The red fox nodded its head before letting a long howl which was similar to the wolf’s. Within a second, everyone grew silent. No one uttered a sound, not even the leaves.

“Today, we managed to imprison the queen,” she informed the crowd. Her voice was strong and sharp like Arthur’s sword. It was one of her specialties; one which clearly held her authority. And what stunned most people was that she didn’t need to say much to get to the point. The few words she uttered were enough. No bullting was required.

“And tomorrow, we will have the king in my grip!”

The crowd cheered as she held her torch higher. These days had been tough for her proponents, including herself. However, the result was worth her hard work. Now that she had the queen under her arm, the king would soon follow. The kingdom shall be hers, everything would be hers.

She threw her torch to the tree. Within a second, its light was burning the tree, indicating their winning celebration had begun. The once dark forest started to brighten as the bewitched fire burnt the tree in one go; from the very top to the ground, and danced along the inhabitants. It was such a rare pretty sight she longed to see, but unfortunately she was running late. She needed to go back.

Lowering her head as well her hood, she started to take a few steps backward until she felt her back hit the tree. The fire burned her body and in matter of seconds, she was no longer in the forest. Instea

Please log in to read the full chapter