Splash of color

No words

I'm running late. He might leave without seeing me today. That's a constant worry I have. I want to see him, need to see him. I walk quickly past people on the sidewalk, backpack slightly swaying behind me. The side walk is crowded, people going into the shops, some holding shopping bags, others, who came from my school, backpacks. The street buzz with laughter and flash with color, people of all ages around me, having fun, laughing and smiling. A cute couple with a stroller are walking my way, so I gracefully step to the side, saying a soft "annyeonghaseyo" which they return back. A little girl wearing a pink dress holding her dad's hand smiles at me as I pass, and I smile back. The streets so lively at this hour, teens rushing home or hanging about, parents shopping with thier young ones and elderly people walking arm in arm, grandchildren running ahead of them, with much more energy then they have. But thier smile is happy, cheerful, and ancient. It displays thier true feelings for everyone to see.

 

That's why I like people who read expressions well. You don't have to use words to describe how you feel, and when someone can automatically tell your mood the moment they look into your eyes, those are the people you have a special bond with. No words needed. I reach the end of the block and turn left, down an alleyway which leads behind the buildings to the back of the cemetery.

 

The streets noise fade away slowly as I inch my way farther back, away from all the shops and restaurants, to the cemeterys fence. To get to the entrance to the cemetery I would have had to walk a lot farther, turning right and walking some more, where the black grand gates are. The cemetery gates are usually always open, but you have to go through a building inside the gates, sign in and then they you to the back double doors, where you enter the cemetery officially, but I always just jump the fence.

 

The cemetery is big enough to where I can jump the fence and no one would notice, because this section of it, which is in the very very back, is reserved for the founders of our city, a young at the time couple who's relationship went sour. They died in a car crash one morning, arguing about who knows what, along with they're five year old daughter, who got to be buried with her mother in her coffin.

 

The mother and daughters tombstone lays at the foot of a huge cherry blossom tree. Pink petals scattered on the grass all around the tree. The tombstone, instead of a pure white marble, was pink mixed with white, as a tribute to the little girls death as well as the mother, who both of they're birthstone was the color pink.

 

The fathers, who was the only mayor they've had up until he died, Is a few feet away, a low black fence surrounding it, the grass inside yellow and dry. A single dead red rose lay on the floor in front of the tombstone. Lied up in front of the white marble are 39 dead roses in glass boxes, the sun sparkling down on the blackened roses.

 

There's a story that is told in my town. Every year, on the night before the anniversary of our mayors death, someone sneaks into the cemetery, probably hopping the fence like I do, and replaces the dead rose on the floor with a new, pure one. They put the dead rose in a box and leave it with the others. Each rose symbolizes how many years he's been dead.

 

No one understands why this strange tradition started, and no one knows who's doing it because the night guards have never caught the person in the act. The mayor would have loved this however, there's no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't have. He was a bit strange, but we were all grateful to him anyways.  

 

The cemetery is mainly empty at this time of day, everyone's just getting out of school, so it's the perfect chance to come. I remember the day we met. I had heard from my grandma about the alleyway that led to the back of the cemetery. You have to be a certain age limit to enter the cemetery alone, and if your not of age you have to be with someone who is. 

 

My grandma doesn't have enough energy anymore however to take me. She knows how much those things fascinate me, and so she agreed to let me hop the fence to visit. I look old enough to where I'm allowed to enter on my own, and so if anyone stops me then it shouldn't be much of a problem. No one has stopped me yet since I've been doing this, so really there's no harm in it.

 

My mother would never approve if they knew. A few years ago she got arrested attempted murder, and has been locked up since. I was sent to go live with my grandma, who lived in a entirely different state. The court sent a social security worker to the house to help me pack, and drive me to the airport. It took a few hours, but I finally landed at the airport and my grandma greeted me with a big hug, welcoming me into her home without hesitation. It took months for me to get used to living here with someone I didn't really know, But it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

 

I met him on my third visit. He was sitting at the mothers tomb, drawing messages on the flower petals. His back was to me, black hair shining in the light. He hadn't heard me jump the fence, or least I didn't think he did, but as I turned to leave he spoke.

 

"What's your name?" Three words. Three words that hit me hard in the chest, causing me to freeze in my place. After a moment I get enough courage back up to speak. 

 

"H-Hakyeon..." I say, covering my mouth when I find myself stuttering. He lets out a small chuckle, which found more like a playful growl because his voice is so deep. It really caught me off guard. 

 

"Ah.." he says, speaking slowly. He motions over his shoulder from me to come closer, and so I do, taking a seat next to him on the ground.

 

I can't see his face from the angle I'm at, but I can see the vivid blue streaks in his bangs. He holds up a petal, bringing it to his face to inspect it closer, and hums a nod of approval, setting it on the floor with the others he had recently done.

 

"What's your name?"

 

"Wonshik." He says, finally looking at me now, his white teeth showing in a smile. But it's not his small, bunny like teeth that I notice first, it's his eyes. They are a emerald green color, with gold flecks that shine in the sun, but his pupils are black slits, just like a cats eyes are.

 

"What are you doing here?" I ask, tilting my head, looking at his eyes for another moment. He looks down with a shrug. 

 

"I get bored sometimes, and this is where I go" He says, looking up and motioning around us with a free hand.

 

An 'ah' sound falls from my lips as I watch him draw little things on the little petals, kissing a few of them before placing them on the tomb.

 

"Why are you here?" He asks after a moment of silence, glancing sideways at me.

 

"Oh. Well, I've always found cemeterys interesting" I say with a shrug, reaching out to trace the cold tomb with my fingers. I notice his eyes are on my hand, watching me slowly trace the letters on it before letting it drop to back my side.

 

"They are, aren't they?" He says, scribbling a heart on a leaf. I nod, the wind blowing through my hair. He places his pale hands on the stack of petals carefully, making sure not to ruin them, so they don't blow away.

 

"Your choice in contacts is interesting" I tell him, twiddling my thumbs, which is a habit that I have recently developed.

 

"Mmmh, yes. But I like them" He says,giving me a small smile. "I like to change them a lot, along with my hair" He says, pointing up to the blue.

 

"Why's that?" I ask, my eyebrows knitting together.

 

"I like to think of myself as rather boring. This is my own splash of color." He says, nodding to me as he writes another message.

 

I check my phone, seeing that what felt like only a few minutes has actually been forty, and stand to take my leave.

 

"Ah hyung I have to go" I say bowing to him slightly. He looks at me for a moment.

 

"How old are you Hakyeon?" He asks, squinting because the light is shining in his face. I step to the right to block the sun, and he gives me a small smile.

 

"I'm seventeen." I reply, and his smile gets even bigger.

 

"Ah, then your my hyung. I'm only fifteen, turning sixteen this month." He says. I smile back at him.

 

"Will you be here tomorrow?" I ask, and he nods. 

 

"I'm here every day" he says, putting the cap back on his marker.

 

"Ah then I'll see you tomorrow" I say, and he nods. 

 

I smile at him one last time before going to the fence, checking to see if all's clear, then hopping it, making my way back down the alleyway I had first come.

 

It's amazing how one meeting can change everything in someone's life...

_____________________________________________

Ah so earlier I posted my first ever Vixx fanfiction and this is my second! I hope you all like it! Sorry for the spelling mistakes, and go read my other stories as well! 

P.s  Please comment!!!!