Chapter 1

Birthday Dinner

Recipe -> (x) Video -> (x)

 

You walked in to the apartment and closed the door behind you. You slipped off your shoes and set your purse down before heading towards the kitchen.
"Surprise!"
You let out a frightened shriek as Woohyun came around the corner. Then you put your hand on your chest and took a couple of deep breaths.
"Sorry." he offered with a chuckle.
You gave him a playful glare until you noticed what was in his hands. He held out the flower to you and you took them while lightly blushing. "Thank you."
"You're welcome." he replied. Then he stepped closer and wrapped his arms around you. "Happy birthday."
You felt yourself blushing again as you smiled. This made him chuckle once more before giving you a kiss.
"So is this why you're home early?" you questioned. "To surprise me for my birthday."
"As a matter of fact, yes." he answered. Then he took a step back and grabbed your hand. "And there's another surprise for you in the kitchen."
You happily let him pull you in to the other room and looked eagerly around for your next surprise. All you saw though were several ingredients laid out on the counter.
"Surprise!" Woohyun exclaimed and swept his hand over the food.
"Uh... what?" you inquired, blinking in confusion.
He gave a little pout. "It's your birthday dinner." he informed you.
"Oh." you said. Then you brightly smiled. "You're going to cook for me."
"No." he said as a smirk formed on his face. "You are going to cook."
Your face fell and your eyes widened a little. You quickly glanced at the stuff spread out on the counter before looking at him again. "What??"
He took the flowers from you while laughing. "Don't have a panic attack. I'm going to help you." he said and put the flowers in a vase. "Wash your hands."
"Woohyun." you protested. "I really don't think..."
"Trust me." he countered. "This will be easy."
You rolled your eyes. "What? Not worried about me setting the place on fire?"
"That's what the fire extinguisher is for under the sink, remember?" he said with a serious look.
You glared and turned to walk out of the kitchen.
"I'm joking! I'm joking!" he quickly shouted and grabbed you. He wrapped his arms around you tightly and kissed your cheek. "Just trust me. You're not even going to need the stove."
You eyed him suspiciously before sighing. "Alright."
"That's my girl." he said with a proud smile. "Now wash up."

After making sure your hands were scrubbed clean, you stood by the counter and surveyed the ingredients. "So, what am I making?"
"Hoedeopbap." he stated. "Raw fish bibimbap." Then he gave you a wink. "No cooking required."
"I just have to cut up the fish and vegetables?" you questioned.
"Yep. And mix up the spicy sauce of course." He pointed to the bowl and the stuff setting around it.
You grabbed the bowl and placed it in front of you. "Okay."
"First, 1/4 cup soy sauce." he slowly recited. "Then 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, 2 tablespoons of hot pepper paste, and 4 teaspoons of sugar."
You carefully measured out the ingredients and poured them in to the bowl.
"Next is 2 green onions, 1 green chili pepper, and 2 garlic cloves." he instructed. "All chopped and minced."
You set the bowl aside and brought the cutting board closer. You reached for the green onions first and then grabbed the knife. Just as you got ready to cut, you heard Woohyun hiss and stopped to give him a curious look.
"Just... be careful." he pleaded, his eyes full of concern.
"I will." you assured him with a chuckle before you carefully began cutting. You took your time doing it too, just so he wouldn't worry as much.
Once everything was finely chopped, you added them to the bowl. Then you stirred everything with a spoon.
"Perfect." he said before taking the bowl from you. "Now we just let it cool in the fridge while we cut up the rest of the vegetables."
As he put the sauce in the refrigerator, you glanced around at the rest of the ingredients.
"Okay then." Woohyun said and rubbed his hands. "We have about 2 cups worth of lettuce, about 1 cup of cucumber, about 1/4 cup of carrot, and 1 small tomato. All to be sliced thinly." He pulled each of them closer to you so you didn't have to reach as far for them. "Plus 2 or 3 tablespoons of onion and 1 or 2 red chili peppers. Depending on your taste."
"Yum." you said and giggled. Then you reached for the lettuce and picked up the knife. Before you started cutting, you gave him a pointed look. "I will be careful."
"Please, please, please." he begged while staring at your fingers.
You rolled your eyes and began cutting the lettuce. You took your time like before, making sure your didn't cut yourself.
"I'd like to eat tonight."
You gave him a glare and then turned your attention back to the food. You sped up, cutting at a faster pace.
"Hey, hey, hey!" he exclaimed and grabbed your arms. "You said you would be careful!"
"I am!" you retorted. Only to see him smiling and chuckling.
Rolling your eyes once more, you went back to your task and the same slow pace you were first using. Then you heard him drumming his fingertips on top of the counter.
You set the knife down and loudly groaned.
"Okay, okay. I'm sorry." he said while laughing. "I'm only teasing."
You glared at him and promptly slid the cutting board over to him. Then you folded your arms.
"Ah I see how it is." he stated while nodding his head. He picked up the knife and winked at you. "You want to see how the expert does it."
"Ugh." you groaned again in exasperation.
He only laughed though, completely undeterred. Then he quickly sliced up the rest of the lettuce, as well as the rest of the vegetables, faster than you could ever possible do.

"Alright. Time for the fish." he said and took it out of the fridge. "Any sashimi grade fish will do like salmon or tuna. The fresher the better and make sure it's cold." He placed it on the cutting board and grabbed the knife. "Cut it in to thin, thin slices."
You watched as he sliced the fish before you grabbed two plates.
"Now just to add everything together." he said as he brought one of the plates closer to him.
He began to pile the vegetables on to his plate and you carefully followed his every move. You spread the lettuce on the bottom of the plate before adding the cucumber, carrot, onion and tomato on top.
"Next, the rice." he instructed.
You opened the rice cooker and found the rice he had already cooked. You scooped some on top of your vegetables before doing the same to his plate.
"The the fish." He put a pile of fish on both plates.
"This looks really good." you commented as you eyed the food on the plates.
He let out a chuckle. "Almost done. Just need the topping."
You watched as he put some shredded seaweed paper on top of the fish. Then he lightly drizzled it in sesame oil before adding the red pepper on top of the mountain of food. "Now for the sesame seeds."
You reached in to the bowl of sesame seeds and sprinkled some on both plates. Then you took a step back to admire your work. Woohyun clapped his hands together and you quickly clapped along while giggling
"Absolutely beautiful." he said, smiling at you.
"Thanks." you replied with a proud smile on your face.
He leaned in and kissed your cheek. "And the food looks good too."
You jerked back a little and blinked in surprise. Then you felt your face heating up as you shyly blushed.
"Let's go eat this food that my beautiful girl made." he said and grabbed both plates.
You grabbed the utensils and went to follow him out of the kitchen but stopped. You went over to the fridge and opened the door. You spotted the bowl of sauce and reached for it when you noticed what was sitting behind it. A birthday cake.
A big grin formed on your face as you picked up the bowl. Then you closed the fridge door and left the kitchen. You went over to the dining table and set the bowl down along with the utensils.
"What do you want to drink?" he asked.
You didn't answer him as you wrapped your arms around his neck and pulled him closer. Before he could say anything, you pressed your lips against his.
He stood there for a brief moment, surprised by your actions. Then he was kissing you back while his arms went around your waist.
When you finally broke away and took a deep breath of fresh air. "Thank you."
He quietly chuckled and pecked your lips with another kiss. "Anything for you."
Those words and the look in his eyes made your heart flutter. Not to mention the bright smile that graced his face.
"Come on, let's eat." he said and indicated the table.
Giggling, you released him and took a seat. He sat down across from you and reached for the sauce. He poured some on his food before eagerly taking a bite. Closing his eyes, he moaned.
"You are a good cook." he stated after swallowing his food.
You playfully rolled your eyes before reaching for the sauce. You put some over your food and when you took a bite, it was your turn to moan. "Ok. I am a good cook."
He laughed loudly and shook his head. So you stuck your tongue out at him. Then you both continued eating.